How to Disable Registration Reminders

In a similar vein as the last entry, here are some instructions for how to disable the launch of Adobe Application Manager at the second product launch when the user is requested to register the product.
It is possible to suppress registration via an override mechanism. The installer places a flag in a database on the users system. Any product which licenses reads this flag and determines whether or not to invoke AAM for registration.
Enterprise customers can suppress registration as part of the normal enterprise deployment toolkit (AAMEE) workflow. This toolkit should have a public, free release in early June along with documentation for how to suppress registration.
For any volume customers who are distributing prior to the upcoming release of AAMEE you can suppress registration in the following manner:
Create the override file with a Registration Suppress tag and pass it in the command line to the Bootstrapper (Set- up.exe or Install.app) via param overrideFile.
Win:
Set-up.exe –mode=silent –deploymentFile=”” –overrideFile=”” –installSourcePath=”” –action=””
Mac:
Install.app/Contents/MacOS/Install –mode=silent –deploymentFile= –overrideFile= –installSourcePath= –action=””
Hopefully most people will be able to wait until early June with the first release of AAMEE so the above workaround is not necessary.

17 Responses to How to Disable Registration Reminders

1. Patrick Fergus says:

Eric,
    A couple questions:
    - Is the Mac command accurate? I see pairs of double quotes after each equals sign in the Windows command, but only one pair of double quotes after the “action” flag in the Mac command.
    - Is the correct format of the override file is described here, at least as far as the Registration Suppress tag?
    - Will this suppression work with InCopy CS5?
    - I have a FileWave-based distribution of CS5 that I’m mostly happy with, short of the registration prompts. If I run this installation (ours is Acrobat CS5, Design Premium CS5, and InCopy CS5) what file(s) do I need to replace in my distribution? I think it’s this one:
    /Library/Application Support/Adobe/Adobe PCD/cache/cache.db
    Thanks to whoever responded on the MacEnterprise List with a pointer to this blog post.
    - Patrick

2. Dpn Montalvo says:

Is this a once-per-computer flag? I hope. :)
    Don

3. Jacob says:

Eric,
    First, let me say thank you for all of the hard work you’ve done, this blog is an incredible resource to any sysadmin looking to deploy Creative Suite.
    I ran into a difficult problem with the CS4 installer. We have users on campus who would simply like to install Photoshop, or one other part of the suite, but because we have a license for the suite as a whole it really isn’t possible to break it up. What I found is that even with the xml files passed to the installer to tell it which products in the suite to install, the user is still prompted with a dialog with the ability to add/remove components if they already have one product from the suite installed.
    I’d like to be able to provide installers for each component in the suite separately, and allow the user to selectively install these components from our networked application distribution software (ZENworks Configuration Management).
    The provision of AAMEE to create an MSI installer sounds tantalizing, but can you tell me whether I will be able to do what I want to do with AAMEE?
    Jacob

4. René Frej Nielsen says:

I can the application.xml.override to work. I’m following the guide on this page http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/842/cpsid_84211.html and it installs fine but I get the EULA and a prompt a serial number on the first application launch.
    I have tried to both include overrideFile= and leave it out, since I have placed the file in the “deploy” folder as the guide tells me to, but the result is the same.
    This is on Windows. I haven’t tested it completely on the Mac yet.

5. Eric Wilde says:

Patrick,
    I copied the command from an email from one of our core engineers, so it should be accurate barring cut&paste errors.
    Silent deployment without AAMEE is not officially supported and we haven’t tested it greatly. AAMEE should be available on the next business day (Tuesday, US time) and should be used for any truly silent deployment or volume deployment.

6. Eric Wilde says:

Don,

7. Eric Wilde says:

Jacob,
    Let me try to say back to you what I think you’re asking.
    Is it possible to install only a point product (say Adobe Photoshop) and use the Suite license?
    Yes, it is. However, the workflow isn’t as straightforward as we would like. With CS4 the easiest way to do it is to install Adobe Photoshop in trial mode from the Adobe Photoshop media. Then, when prompted from launching the product, enter the Suite serial number. This will also work for CS5; but, with CS5′s AAMEE there is also a tool that will let you serialize the product post-install with a script.

8. Patrick Fergus says:

Eric,
    I used:
    sudo /Volumes/Adobe\ CS5\ Design\ Premium/\
    Adobe\ CS5\ Design\ Premium/Install.app/Contents\
    /MacOS/Install –mode=silent –deploymentFile=\
    /Users/admin/Desktop/Deployment_Files/DP_CS5\
    /deploy/install-en_US.xml –overrideFile=/Users\
    /admin/Desktop/Deployment_Files/DP_CS5/\
    application.xml.override.txt
    I got the gist of the setup from the CS4 enterprise documentation, including the override file setup. I think a few of the flags (installSourcePath, action) you included are optional, so no big deal.
    To answer my second question, to move the licensing (and registration suppression) into a previously-created distro of CS5 you need this directory:
    /Library/Application Support/Adobe/Adobe PCD/
    - Patrick

9. GJG says:

Umm… I don’t know if I’m not making a total fool of myself here, but…
    Several people from the group I support are having a problem: They have previously installed Lightroom 3 beta, and now the “silent” install doesn’t work for them (i.e. it asks for a serial number), even though they have uninstalled the beta prior to running the silent installer.
    This happens both on Win XP and Win 7.
    Help, please?
    Cheers,
    GJG

• Eric Wilde says:

GJG,

When you say “silent install doesn’t work”, do you mean silent installation of a Creative Suite application or silent installation of Lightroom? I’m only familiar witht he Creative Suite (and related) installers. If this is a Lightroom specific issue I’ll have to forward your comment to someone who knows something about Lightroom.

10. GJG says:

The issue I was informed of was related to Lightroom 3 specifically.
    Nobody reported issues with CS apps yet. ;-)

11. Michael says:

Good morning, Eric!

Is there a way to disable registration reminders on already installed CS5 products, without using AAMEE?

Thank you.

12. Ishan says:

Hi,

I installed Adobe Design Standard CS4 without using application.xml.override file, now each application installed is asking for udates. Is there any way to suppress these updates prompt?
    Kindly revert

13. Sumit says:

Hi,

I have installed Adobe Design Premium CS4 in my machine. I did not use application.xml.override file to suppress updates & registrations. Is there any step to follow to get rid off these popups after the installation of this application without application.xml.override file?

14. Geary says:

Gee people. Don’t make it so hard.
    Just rename the “registration.dll” in the Adobe folder after you install it.

• stevenp says:

good thought, but doesn’t work in Win7 at least. I changed the extension for adobe_registration.dll in the Acrobat folder, and Acrobat freezes when it opens a file. CHanged it back and it works again, with the annoying Register pop-up!