Enterprise in-house update hosting for CS5

In the past, some of our enterprise customers had expressed the need and desire for an easy way for them to host Adobe updates internally and let their client machines point to the in-house update server rather than Adobe Update server. With the release of Adobe Updater Server Setup Tool (AUSST), you would be able to setup and manage your own update server.

Adobe Updater Server Setup Tool is a platform specific command line tool, which can be run on Windows and Macintosh to help sync updates from Adobe Update server. You can use any HTTP server (such as Apache) to host these updates. Using AUSST, you can:

1) Sync updates from Adobe update server to a clean machine.
2) Update the already download updates using incremental download.
3) Migrate from one in-house update server to another in-house update server.
4) Generate AdobeUpdater.Overrides, to allow client machines running Adobe Application Manager point to new in-house update server.

After you have setup the in-house Update server, you can re-direct your Adobe Application manager running on client machines point to this new in-house update server. For this, you would need to place AdobeUpdater.Overrides at following platform specific location on the client machines in your network

• In Windows XP – \Documents and Settings\All Users\ApplicationData\Adobe\AAMUpdater\1.0\AdobeUpdater.Overrides
• In Windows 7/Vista – \ProgramData\Adobe\AAMUpdater\1.0\AdobeUpdater.Overrides
• In Mac OS X – /Library/Application Support/Adobe/AAMUpdater/1.0/AdobeUpdater.Overrides

There is also an option provided in Adobe Application Manager Enterprise Edition (AAMEE) 1.1 to help you configure your client machines for this redirection, which will place AdobeUpdater.Overrides in the above platform specific locations on your client machines.

You can download the Mac and Windows versions along with the documentation here:

-Manju Bansal, Ravi Prakash Singh
Adobe Updater Team

Enterprise in-house update server setup using Adobe Update Server Setup Tool

Enterprise in-house update server setup using Adobe Update Server Setup Tool

110 Responses to Enterprise in-house update hosting for CS5

1. This is great news. But where do we get AUSST?

2. I have this up and running now. I think I had a bit of different expectation. I expected there to be a client side command line equivalent to Apple’s “softwareupdate” to update the software from the command line. I probably should have read through the documentation before jumping in. This is really just a bandwidth saver, which is important for some.

What I really need/want is a way to either remotely update all managed machines (currently have to gather all the updates and deploy through Absolute Manage), and/or enable a way for non-admin’s to run updates themselves.

3. Lucas Smith says:

I too have set this up, but it really doesn’t really seem to assist all that much. Updating 100 odd machines by manually typing in an admin password doesn’t really seem a practical approach to running updates.
    Anyone out there know how this can be done?

Cheers,
    Lucas

• david koff says:

we’ve found a way to avoid needing admin rights to run this, lucas. we use casper/jamf which runs as root on any system. we set up a policy (run as self service) and call the application VIA THE COMMAND LINE to it’s full path:

/Library/Application\ Support/Adobe/OOBE/PDApp/core/Adobe\ Application\ Manager.app/Contents/MacOS/PDApp

this ensures that it runs as root and, therefore, doesn’t ask for admin credentials when running.

4. Chris Dawes says:

ok, so now we have deployment tools, when is Adobe going to release licencing for Virtual Desktop Services Providers (aka Adobe SPLA) so that we can licence Adobe desktop products by the month?

• Jody Rodgers says:

Thanks for the suggestion Chris. We always like to hear input like this!

Jody Rodgers | Product Manager| Enterprise & Volume | Creative Suite

• Ralph Stoker says:

I second the request for a SPLA program. Do we know if any progress has been made in this area? We are very close to releasing a hosted solution for our client’s and I would love to be able to offer Acrobat Standard or Pro within this environment.

5. Ravi Prakash Singh says:

Hi Patrick and Lucas,

The purpose of this tool is not to remotely deploy updates on machines in your network but to facilitate you in hosting your own update server. You should use this tool, if for some reasons you do not want your client machines to directly hit Adobe updater server.

We have taken a note of your requirement around providing command line interface for updater to help you remotely invoke and deploy updates. We’ll consider this for our future releases.

Ravi Prakash Singh
    (Adobe Updater Team)

6. Here’s another feature request.

Add a –sync option to the AdobeUpdateServerSetupToolCS5 command-line option.

Right now you have to issue the full command (including base URL), then press “2″ to setup a sync. No easy way to create a launchd task on the Mac that performs a sync automagically at, say, 2 a.m.

If I could issue the –sync from the command line, no such limitation.

Right now, it’s a manual process. Better than not having it at all, but not by much.

IMHO this is where the Adobe Enterprise Deployment team repeatedly falls down – you guys figure out HOW to implement something, but never spend time figuring out HOW people would want to or need to use it.

–Robert

• Jody Rodgers says:

Thanks for the suggestion Robert regarding the sync option. AUSST is brand new and we definitely want to make sure it grows into a tool that is inline with the expectations of IT admins. Therefore this type of feedback will help craft future versions. We are committed to improving these tools and we can only do that from the participation of the community. Ah, the power of the blog comment…bring them on!

Jody Rodgers | Product Manager| Enterprise & Volume | Creative Suite

• Kai Howells says:

Hi Jody,
        Just following up on this post from last year – I too would really like to see a –sync option for the tool that can be passed on the command-line so that it can be run non-interactively.

On my Adobe update server, I’d like to schedule a sync, for instance, every morning at 4am so that my update server is automatically kept up to date.

With the tool in it’s present form, it needs interaction via the keyboard to perform a sync, so is unsuitable for automation.

• Jody Rodgers says:

Hey Kai. This is definitely already in our work backlog to tackle this year. I can’t commit to a timeframe right now for the next release as we are still working that out. Stay tuned!

Jody Rodgers | Senior Product Manager | Enterprise & Volume | Creative Suite

• A simple way to have a –sync command is to simply pipe it in a terminal input:
            $ echo 2 | /Applications/AdobeUpdateServerSetupToolCS5.app/Contents/MacOS/AdobeUpdateServerSetupToolCS5 –root=”/serverroot/Adobe/CS5″

This of course assumes you’ve got the tool in the server’s /Applications directory and your web server root is /serverroot per the documentation example.

A simple three-line script is all that’s needed, and calling upon it with launchd allows you to automate it at a period you choose.

Here’s the script:
            #!/bin/bash
            clear
            echo “Finished Adobe Update Server Sync”

It pops up nicely in your server’s console messages should you want to confirm.

7. One more thing, rather than a .app that can’t be run (have to use a command line tool/type paths), why not make AUSST a shell script? That way you can do things like prompt users for paths (instead of making them type long ones).

Being an old Unix geek the current methodology is no problem for me, but there are MANY people responsible for IT who can’t follow, or are scared to try, this. Has to be a way to make it easier.

Just my 2 cents again,

–Robert

8. Richard Gynes says:

Thanks for the tool.
    How about the ability to enable and disable specific updates on the update server? Like Apple software update server OSX 10.6.
    The pushing out of the .overides file to clients is easy using Apple Remote Desktop, however a command line option to enable a silent install of all updates on the client would be great.
    A client side/update server tool which will update all Acrobat versions as well as CS5 would be good too.

The spurious spaces in the .overides example in the Technote could be removed?

9. Troy Williams says:

I am trying to get this working on a mac server. When I try to run the tool from the command line I get an error that its a directory. I went inside the .app and found the executable and ran it but when I did it created the initial folder structure inside the .app instead of the path that I told it.

I used this syntax AdobeUpdateServerSetupToolCS5 –root =”/Library/WebServer/Documents/updates/Adobe/CS5″

As I said instead of creating the folder structure at the path I specified it created it under AdobeServerSetupTool.app/Contents/

• Manju Bansal says:

Please use –root instead if -root and you should get going. Please note that there should be two hyphens before root . Let me know if this doesn’t work for you.

10. Jeff Vandehey says:

The command on OSX doesn’t work for me either. I ran this:

AdobeUpdateServerSetupToolCS5 –root =”/Library/WebServer/Documents/Adobe/CS5”

I created this directory structure, and the tool says:

“This folder already exists. Overwrite?”. I say yes. It creates a folder named =” here:

/Applications/AdobeUpdateServerSetupToolCS5.app/Contents/Resources/

The command knows the folder structure already exists, then it creates it somewhere else. I am using the double — with a space before the =

11. Manju Bansal says:

There should not be any space before and after the “=” following –root.

Manju Bansal
    (Adobe Updater Team)

• Jeff Vandehey says:

Hi Manju, the documentation seems to be a mess. It clearly has a =, and a space before it. But as Troy mentions in some posts above, the command doesn’t work at all unless the = and ” is omitted from the command. This is completely contrary to the documentation. This command with the = is all over the documentation, and every instance has a space before it. Is the documentation that incorrect? Wow.

• Victor Orly says:

Manju, et al.

Can you please give us a clear, concise answer as to the EXACT SYNTAX for invoking this command? Please don’t tell just just one “-” instead of “–”, etc. Just please repost the exact command as it should be.

My trials and all the errors:

1st try:

AdobeUpdateServerSetupToolCS5.app –root=”/Library/WebServer/Documents/updates/Adobe/CS5″
        -bash: AdobeUpdateServerSetupToolCS5.app: command not found

2nd try: If I eliminate the .app ….

server:/ spgadmin$ AdobeUpdateServerSetupToolCS5 –root=”/Library/WebServer/Documents/updates/Adobe/CS5″
        -bash: AdobeUpdateServerSetupToolCS5: command not found

Also tried –root instead of -root … same problem.

Thanks

Victor

• Manju Bansal says:

On the Mac OS platform, ensure that you extract the .DMG file.
          Do not run the app(AdobeUpdateServerSetupToolCS5.app) directly or in the command prompt. Instead run the AUSST file(AdobeUpdateServerSetupToolCS5) packaged inside the application (directly or in the command prompt) . By default the file is in the Contents/Mac OS folder of the application.

So the command would be

where your current working directory is AdobeUpdateServerSetupToolCS5 .app/Contents/Mac OS

• Or, rather than navigating unnecessarily, you could simply run:
            /Applications/AdobeUpdateServerSetupToolCS5pkg.app/Contents/MacOS/AdobeUpdateServerSetupToolCS5 –[option]

…from wherever you are. This is assuming you’ve moved the tool to your /Applications directory. This comes in handy for scripting.

12. david koff says:

manju, jody:

will the AUSST also be able to (now or in the future) download all adobe updates for other applications? we’d really like to be able to host an in-house adobe update repository that handles not just CS5 but CS4 and the flash-plug-in and Adobe Reader, etc.

what’s the good word on that kinda stuff?

david koff
    mac systems admin,
    the j. paul getty trust

13. Chris Brown says:

When I run this I receive the following error when trying to download webfeed from http://swupmf.adobe.com/webfeed/oobe/aam10/win/updaterfeed.xml:
    “Unknown exception occurred. Please try again”

I have tried this on two different machines, both receive this error. If I try to browse to the XML file in my web browser I get a parse error. The source of the xml file has “0021″ on the first line which is why IE cannot render it. Is anyone else having this issue or can someone shed some light on this?

Thanks

• Manju Bansal says:

Such error would generally show up when network connection is not there or network cable is not properly plugged in and so on. Please ensure that you are well connected to internet.

If it still doesn’t work, please mail-in the screenshots to me at mabansal@adobe.com

Manju Bansal
      (Adobe Updater Team)

14. Christopher Kinard says:

I have installed this today yet I can not get it working on IIS.

The app downloads the updates no problem but when I direct a client to the server IIS is getting a 406 error on the updaterfeed.xml file.

• Manju Bansal says:

It seems your IIS based web server is not setup correctly. Could you please mail in the AdobeUpdater.overrides file (from win folder) generated using – - genclientconf option to me at mabansal@adobe.com , so that I can provide you with updaterfeed.xml URL which you should try and access from your web browser to confim if it is server setup problem.

Manju Bansal
      (Adobe Updater Team)

• david koff says:

manju,

are you planning for the AUSST also be able to download ALL adobe updates for other applications? we’d really like to be able to host an in-house adobe update repository that handles not just CS5 but CS4 and the flash-plug-in and Adobe Reader, etc.

• Stas says:

The problem is the Tool doesnt actually configure IIS… all it does is download updates. There is no detail in the technotes about setting up a website in IIS so I assume its supposed to do it automatically but it doesn’t.

• stas says:

If you don’t install in a folder that is already a website then you gotta add it to IIS manually. There should be atleast a paragraph describing the process like where the default website directory is or how to add it manually if you choose to install it elsewhere.

• Gerald Rezes says:

I am also receiving the a 406 error on IIS 7 when downloading Setup.zip files. I got past the .xml error following the suggestion to use Handle Mapping to point *.xml files to asp.dll. Is there some further configuration needed to IIS?

15. Pingback: Update Server

16. Troy Williams says:

I have finally had a chance to get back to this and even though my server has all the updates downloaded when I put the overides file in place the update manager tells me my software is up to date and I know for a fact it is not. Here is the contents of my xml file, of course I changed the url name here but in my real file its a fqdn and I can browse to it and see the webfeed folder.

/webfeed/oobe/aam10/mac/
    8181

/webfeed/oobe/aam10/mac/
    8181

• Hi Tory,

It seems, AdobeUpdater.Overrides is either incorrect or is not placed at the right location at the client machine.
      You may re-check if it is placed at “/Library/Application Support/Adobe/AAMUpdater/1.0/” and not any other location on the client machine.

In case you still face the problem, please send me the following log file at rpsingh@adobe.com for me to take a look and locate the problem.

Log file @ ~/Library/Application Support/Adobe/AAMUpdater/1.0/aamu.log

Ravi Prakash Singh
      (Adobe Updater Team)

17. Paul Austin says:

Is there any way to exclude Windows from the updates. We only have Macs to manage and I would rather not waste the bandwidth or disk space for all the Windows updates.

• Hi Paul,

Current version of AUSST does not have any such platform based filtering of updates. But we are surely considering this for our future release.

Ravi Prakash Singh
      (Adobe Updater Team)

18. Paul Austin says:

Have the server installed and the override file in place but unable to install updates from internal server. Checked the logs and I am getting signature verification failures. Not sure where to go with this one.

19. Hi Paul,

Do you get the same errors even updater hits the default Adobe Update server?
    To test this, you may run updater without overrides file installed.

You may also share the existing log files with me.

You can contact me directly with your results and logs at rpsingh@adobe.com

Ravi Prakash Singh
    (Adobe Updater Team)

20. Rob says:

Here is a little script that I wrote that will let you run the sync command without interacting with the application. You can then take this and run this saved script via launchd.

Copy and past the following and don’t forget to update update your paths save the script as adobesync.sh put it somewhere and then create a launchd plist. This plist and load it in /Library/LaunchDeamons/com.bis.adobesync.plist (even when no user is logged on) and it runs everyday at 1:30am.

THE SCRIPT

#!/bin/bash
    AdobeUpdateServerSetupToolCS5 –root=”/serverroot/updates/Adobe/CS5″ << EOF
    exit 0

The PLIST http://pastebin.com/TkRQSfsa

Updates critique wanted.. let me know..

Cheers

• Tim Kimpton says:

Hi Rob

The script doesnt work for me. I get

EOFError: EOF when reading a line.

I even tried the following but still did not work

#!/bin/bash

/Applications/AdobeUpdateServerSetupToolCS5.app/Contents/MacOS/AdobeUpdateServerSetupToolCS5 –root=”/Library/WebServer/Documents/updates/Adobe/CS5″ << EOF

exit 0

• Tim Kimpton says:

correct script is

#!/bin/bash

exit 0
        EOF

21. Carl says:

It appears as if you can define what port to use, can anyone confirm this? I would like to set this up on a server that already does Apple’s Update server and a couple other web based items.

Many thanks!!

• Manju Bansal says:

Hi,

An already up and running http server is a pre-requisite for setting up AUSST. You may configure the port number while setting up your web server.

While setting up AUSST, You just need to provide the port number that your web server is already configured with.

Manju Bansal
      (Adobe Updater Team)

• Carl says:

Thanks for the response. I’m up and running. Is there any form of logging that happens with this?

• Manju Bansal says:

As of now, AUSST does not have any logging as such. All the information is displayed on the command prompt itself.

Manju Bansal
          (Adobe Updater Team)

22. jw says:

I have labs that come up at night and then download and install windows updates automatically at the login prompts, will i be able to do this with Adobe CS5 products soon

23. Evgeniy says:

I have problem with updates under IIS.

when I direct a client to the server IIS is getting a 406 error on the updaterfeed.xml file but I can download this file from client browser

Could you help me with this problem?

24. Tim Kimpton says:

Tried all of these suggestions and i keep getting AdobeUpdateServerSetupToolCS5: command not found.

Any suggestions?

This always happens with Adobe products and enterprise support is absolutely rubbish

25. Tim Kimpton says:

same problem as Troy typing in to the terminal doesn’t do anything and returns command not found.

running this puts it in the wrong place Adobe clear documentation and replies to this blog asap

/Applications/AdobeUpdateServerSetupToolCS5.app/Contents/MacOS/AdobeUpdateServerSetupToolCS5 –root =”/Library/WebServer/Documents/updates/Adobe/CS5″

26. Tim Kimpton says:

Right Adobe like any other admin i loathe you!

For every one else trying to work this out to put the in /Library/Webserver/Documents/updates/Adobe/CS5 i copied the app to the Application directory on the server and ran this command

/Applications/AdobeUpdateServerSetupToolCS5.app/Contents/MacOS/AdobeUpdateServerSetupToolCS5 –root /Library/WebServer/Documents/updates/Adobe/CS5/

27. Tim Kimpton says:

I have setup the server and the client on my test machine just gets stuck on Update Progress. I have tried to untick all the updates and just select Photoshop to update but nothing happens.

Is there a support contact number to speak to some one about or do we have to go through the pain of contacting standard support?

28. Tim Kimpton says:

For mac osx the Adobe Application Manager needs updating. Thanks Adobe for not carrying out UAT and not even listing it on available product updates. Like I said before very poor enterprise support

• Jody Rodgers says:

Tim,

I apologize about the slow response time. I’ll have members of the AUSST engineering team contact you offline and help you work through these issue!

Jody Rodgers | Product Manager| Enterprise & Volume | Creative Suite

29. This program really is a very early work in progress, and boy does it show.
    There are so many inconsistencies and downright incorrect instructions in the documentation.

A lot this could be solved very simply.

Forget about the token effort to make it look like a real mac app, when it is actually the python script stored deep inside a .app that you have to use anyway. This just makes for much longer commands on the command line.

How about the script can be placed wherever you want the update repository to be stored. Simple.

You then invoke the script from there.
    When written well, and on any platform, the script knows where it is being launched from and can just start downloading to its current folder.

In my case

sudo ./Library/WebServer/Documents/Adobe/CS5/AdobeUpdateServerSetupToolCS5

No arguments for the Adobe programmers, Adobe Documentation writers or us the Users to get wrong. Simple.

The first time you launch it it does the full sync. Subsequent times you run it, it recognises that (it’s now surrounded by the updates etc) and does an update sync. If you want it to do a full sync, you just remove the repository (or parts there of). Simple.

How about it also generates those override files right there and then for you. You can then easily go inside and replace the URL. This is simpler then sending poorly documented arguments to a poorly written script.

How about the overrides file doesn’t need the following bit…/updates/oobe/aam10/win/…
    The client should know what this is, its the same on everyones update server. The client should even know which platform it’s running on too.

How about just providing the simple base URL in this file. The client app should do the heavy lifting of working out where the other stuff is (hint: it doesn’t change, its the same on every AUS). Simple.

The architecture of so many things that Adobe is pushing out lately is shouting complication without any need. Boil it down, test it, remove unnecessary functions, have the script and applications do the thinking for the end user and keep it simple.

It’ll be a lot easier to sell, manage, deploy, support (your end and ours) and then rinse and repeat when the next mighty version comes out.

30. If anyone cares, I figured I’d throw in my own two cents about how I automated the setup for a windows based machine. It’s lame, but works:

We got the initial setup running under Apache, and pulled down the initial push just fine. From there it was a question of how to automate the running the updater EXE, but ghetto DOS batch file to the rescue.

Designate a machine on the LAN that will be your “updater”. Map the web share to be a drive letter (in our case, U:). copy AdobeUpdateServerSetupToolCS5.exe to the root of C:\.

create a text file in c:\ that contains only the number “2″.

save it as c:\2.txt

create a batch file named whatever you like on the root of the C: drive, with the following line:

c:\AdobeUpdateServerSetupToolCS5 –root=”u:\CS5″ < c:\2.txt

…this runs the updater EXE, and passes the contents of the text file as arguments ("2"). again, ghetto as all hell, but it works. Then you can just use Windows Task Scheduler to automate the running of your batch file as often as you like.

hooray.

31. John Micallef says:

We have setup the Updater following the instructions provided. IIS is also configured and is pushing out files correctly. Our Overrides file is also setup correctly (web browser navigates to the path fine) But when Adobe updater tries to check for updates it errors out saying the update server is not responding. With logging enabled the updater can connect to the server but then errors out when reading the updater feed.

ERROR: Invalid webfeed. Could not read webfeed sequence number.

We have rebuilt the update store twice now and even started a fresh new updater location and still getting the same issue.

32. Francois Hebert says:

when my client try to update it says in the log (with loglevl set to 10)

“Error: Invalid webfeed. could not read webfeed sequence number”

can you tell me what is the problem with this? there is read on the folder

• Manju Bansal says:

If you are using IIS, there are certain configuration changes that need to be made. These changes will be published in the new AUSST Tech note which will be released in May 2011.

Manju

33. Pete Curtner says:

Hi – also seeing webfeed issues; AUSST was working fine last time I tried synching it, now receiving:

Downloading webfeed from http://swupmf.adobe.com/webfeed/oobe/aam10/win/updaterfeed.xml
    Downloading webfeed
    FeedChanged (win)= 1
    Need to download updates for windows
    Downloading segment webfeed file segment1.xml

Downloading update: AdobeInDesignCS5ApplicationLanguageFilestr_TR-7.0/7.0.4.553
    Downloading http://swupdl.adobe.com/updates/oobe/aam10/win/AdobeInDesignCS5ApplicationLanguageFilestr_TR-7.0/7.0.4.553/7.0.4.553.xml
    ******** HTTP Error*********
    *** File could not be downloaded from server ***
    An Http error occurred. Please try again
    g2jss:~ tech$

OS X Server, 10.6.5, also running Apple SWU and Casper JSS; rebooted it – same results. Tried option 1 for a Fresh synch, same results. Manually removed the existing directory, re-ran option 1, same results. Able to resolve the hostname & ping:

g2jss:~ tech$ ping swupmf.adobe.com
    PING a1137.g.akamai.net (72.247.217.155): 56 data bytes
    64 bytes from 72.247.217.155: icmp_seq=0 ttl=48 time=29.961 ms
    64 bytes from 72.247.217.155: icmp_seq=1 ttl=48 time=27.835 ms
    64 bytes from 72.247.217.155: icmp_seq=2 ttl=48 time=28.219 ms
    ^C

34. Manju Bansal says:

IMPORTANT: If you are using IIS as http server, there are certain configuration changes that need to be made. These changes will be published in the new AUSST Tech note which will be released in May 2011.

Manju

35. Jeff Vandehey says:

Pete mentions that he got this working? I’m still broken. I hang on:

If you put that URL into a browser, you get file not found. All the other XML files in the sync display fine in a browser. It hink this file is still missing……

• Pete Curtner says:

Yeah, I don’t have anything in that directory:

/Library/WebServer/Documents/Adobe/updates/updates/oobe/aam10/mac/AdobeInDesignCS5ApplicationLanguageFilestr_TR-7.0/7.0.4.553/

but the synch completed.

• Jeff Vandehey says:

Thanks Pete, I’m going to try again.

ADOBE: Is there any better way of reporting problems with this tool, outside of comments on this blog? It’s great that you guys answer here, but I’m not sure this is the most efficient form of communication for problems like this.

-Jeff

36. william geldhof says:

Failed to parse manifest file /Library/WebServer/Documents/Adobe/CS5/updates/oobe/aam10/mac/AdobeInDesignCS5ApplicationLanguageFilesen_GB-7.0/7.0.4.553/7.0.4.553.xml
    A File read operation failed. Please try again

if i try to open the xml file in safari/firefox, it gives nothing back.

37. Manju Bansal says:

IMPORTANT
    ==========

AUSST 2.0 is live at http://www.adobe.com/devnet/creativesuite/enterprisedeployment.html .
    The new version is totally backward compatible, more robust and has better performance. It includes many bug fixes from AUSST 1.0 and also incorporates updates for CS 5.5 product line in addition to CS5.

All AUSST 1.0 users can simply move to AUSST 2.0 without any backward compatibility issues. It will duly respect the already downloaded updates that you got via AUSST 1.0

Users may simply start using AUSST 2.0 with the same root location.

For users, who have been facing issues in setting up AUSST with IIS server, a section has been added to the tech note at http://www.adobe.com/devnet/creativesuite/enterprisedeployment.html. Please refer to the corresponding set up instructions.

Manju Bansal
    AUSST Engineering Team

38. Victor Orly says:

Hey Adobe Folks;

I was using AUSST perfectly in CS5, just upgraded my server to AUSST 2.0 and made packages for Design Premium 5.5 Mac (perfectly). I used the command line to create the Adobe.Overrides and deployed them to clients.

Problem is, the clients can’t update. All Mac’s, even the server (Xserve Xeon, 10.6.7)

Error:

The update server is not responding. The server might be offline temporarily, or the internet or firewall settings may be incorrect. Please try again later. Error Code: U41M1C213

If I got with my browser to:

http://myservername:1234/CS5/webfeed/oobe/aam20/mac/updaterfeed.xml – I know everything works because I get this displayed:

This page contains the following errors:
    error on line 1 at column 1: Document is empty
    Below is a rendering of the page up to the first error.

but just going to

I see the diretory, so no problem with web services.

On the clients, if I manually move AdobeUpdater.Overrides out of the directory ( /Library/Application Support/Adobe/AAMUpdater/1.0/ ) – the updater runs, but just says I’m all up to date.

Please help…

Victor

• Jason says:

I have the same problem, need Help too.

Seems like my IIS is working. Do I need run the AdobeUpdateServerSetupToolCS5.exe after the sync? I mean as a server side~

Or the client is only looking for the downloaded files on the server?

• Christopher Kinard says:

The Adobe instructions on the 2.0 version completely forget to tell you that ServerSideInclude needs to be enabled for *.xml files.

Add this to the section of your web.config file.

• Daniel Skaaning says:

Hi Christopher,

I’m having some problem of the same type but not identelly. IIS 7.5 is running client can browse to the *.zip files and can see the xml files in IE/firefox.
        CS5 can see the updates when I have deployed the AdobeUpdater.overrides file to the client but everytime is just says “some updated failed to install”.

I would like to try your suggestion and add “serversideinclude” to my adobe site, but I’m not sure how you have done that in the web.config file, can you explaine?`I have add the section to the handlers you also talked about.

Hope you can help me.

BR,

Daniel

• Manju Bansal says:

I hope your issue was resolved. Please update this thread if done.

39. Christopher Kinard says:

And it seams the comment system does not like things in brackets.

Add this to the handlers section.
    add name=”SSINC-xml” path=”*.xml” verb=”*” modules=”ServerSideIncludeModule” resourceType=”Unspecified” /

Make sure to put brackets around the above statement.,

• Christopher Kinard says:

Well it seams that I am back to where I was with the 1.0 version.

The updater just spews 406 errors when trying to download *.zip files. Even when following the PDF instructions for IIS7 configuration.

IE and Firefox download the *.zip files perfectly. Mac downloads the *.dmg and *.sig files perfectly. But I can not get this updater to work with IIS7 and updating windows clients.

• Travis Henry says:

Based on Christopher Kinard’s post: On IIS 7.5, I had to install Server Side Includes and add the ServerSideIncludeModule to all of the file types mentioned in the documentation in order to get the server to work correctly.

The following is my working web.config file:

40. Daniel Skaaning says:

I’m trying to setup an In-house adobe update server to use for our DTP department, but I’m a little stuck just before the finish line. I’m able to generate the client configuration file and deploy the file manual to a win 7 PC with CS5 installed, it’s sees all avaible updates but when the client try to download the following error comes up: “some updates failed to install” (it works if I deleted the AdobeUpdater.overrides from the directory: \ProgramData\Adobe\AAMUpdater\1.0\AdobeUpdater.Overrides)

I’m using the AUSST2.0 and have run it on a Windows 7_Pro_32bit virtual machine where I also installed an IIS 7.5 Express where all 5 externsions are add to the IIS and also enabled browse directory. I have also created a separate site for the Adobe_Update site where I have made the changes to and thereby not to the default site. I have made the bindings as http://Daniel-PC port: 1234 and the IP address http://172.18.5.8 port: 1234. The AUUST server has disabled it’s firewall. The AUSST server and the client are on the same network.

I have setup the AUSST2.0 as described in the PDF from here:

I have made a successful fresh sync with the Adobe online sync server and thereby made a fresh file structure in the root of the wwwroot folder of IIS server root (c:\inetpub\wwwroot\). I’m able to see a standard html Index file in a browser and I’m also able to see the xml file in any of the update directory by typing the direct patch: http://daniel-pc:1234/updates/oobe/aam20/win/AdobeBridgeCS5-4.0/4.0.5/4.0.4.xml.

I’m also able to download update manual from the AUUST2.0 server by typing the direct patch in a browser.

My client configuration file looks like this: (also attach to this mail)

When I try to google and seach your forum I found this guy that have the same situation is I have: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/849230 and he mentions something about proxy authenticate, but I don’t know what he means…? I have also try installing an network monitoring tool (wireshark) to be sure that the client looks up the server name (IP) and it looks like it’s try to connect to http://Daniel-PC:1234 (172.18.5.8)

Hope that you are able to help us out because we now are stuck, thanks in advance.

• Manju Bansal says:

Do you have internet access on your client machines where you are trying to apply updates ?

Manju Bansal
      Adobe Updater Team

• Daniel Skaaning says:

Yes the client have internet access and it also works if i delete the adobeupdater.overwrites from the client PC, then they are able to download the updates.

I have try to make a delete route 0.0.0.0 on the client machine so they can’t see the gateway to the internet, they can still see the updates but fails to download.

41. Daniel Leonard says:

I have exactly the same problem as the posts above. I have desktop Win7 clients, with AUSST2.0 installed on a Win2008 Server r2 running IIS7.5.

Initially I had the error message saying ERROR: Invalid webfeed. Could not read webfeed sequence number.

Thanks to Christopher’s post I enabled Server Side Includes in IIS7.5, this allowed the clients to connect and the update application lists the available updates. When I try to download and install them, the XML update files are downloaded fine, but IIS shows a 406 error in the logs for any .zip files.

2011-07-20 00:29:09 192.168.160.25 GET /updates/oobe/aam10/win/AdobeFireworksCS5-11.0-mul/11.0.1/11.0.1.xml – 80 – 192.168.160.74 AAM+Updater+1.0 200 0 0 0
    2011-07-20 00:29:22 192.168.160.25 GET /updates/oobe/aam10/win/AdobePhotoshopCS5Support-12.0/12.0.4/Setup.zip – 80 – 192.168.160.74 AAM+Updater+1.0 406 0 0 0
    2011-07-20 00:29:37 192.168.160.25 GET /webfeed/oobe/aam10/win/updaterfeed.xml – 80 – 192.168.160.74 AAM+Updater+1.0 200 0 0 187
    2011-07-20 00:29:41 192.168.160.25 GET /updates/oobe/aam10/win/AdobePhotoshopCS5Support-12.0/12.0.4/Setup.zip – 80 – 192.168.160.74 AAM+Updater+1.0 406 0 0 0

I can only suggest that there is something in the IIS7.5 handler mappings that doesn’t like the AAM request for the ZIP files, however if you use any browser (i’ve used IE, Chrome and Firefox) to access the link to the zip file directly, you can download them to your PC via a web browser without any issues.

42. Tim Kimpton says:

Still need help. setting up AUSST on mac osx 10.7 server and clients still fail to download the updates. Need support on this.

43. Erick Garcia says:

Trying to setup AUSST on 10.6 server, downloaded all updates, XML webfeed is a mirror image of the official Adobe Update Server, but when I run AAM on my clients it shows that all my updates are complete, but when I remove my override file and use the Adobe Update Server, I have many updates that are missing on my machines. Am I forgetting a step?

• Manju Bansal says:

Did you try synching the latest updates on your AUSST server? If that didnot work, try a force sync.

Manju Bansal
      Adobe Updater Team

44. Laurent Ades says:

Hi,

I get an error when i sync my server with Adobe update server (Option 2 or even option 3)

——————————————
    Downloading webfeed
    FeedChanged (win)= 1
    Need to download updates for windows
    Downloading segment webfeed file segment1.xml
    Unknown exception occurred. Please try again
    ——————————————

* Network connectivity is just fine
    * Have checked permissions : read/write for everyone

Am not sure whether this is due to a local error or remote error.

Here is a copy/paste of my terminal output :

————————————————————————————
    cirmacsvr01:mac cirsvad$ /Applications/AdobeUpdateServerSetupToolCS5.app/Contents/MacOS/AdobeUpdateServerSetupToolCS5 –root=”/Library/WebServer/Documents/Adobe/CS5/”

********************************************************************************
    * Enterprise update server set up tool 1.0.0.6 for CS 5.0 Adobe Updater
    * Copyright 2009-2010 Adobe Systems Incorporated. All rights reserved.

1. Fresh directory structure set up and update sync
    2. Incremental update sync from Adobe server
    3. Forced update sync from Adobe server
    4. Exit

Please enter your choice: 2

Downloading webfeed
    FeedChanged (win)= 1
    Need to download updates for windows
    Downloading segment webfeed file segment1.xml
    Unknown exception occurred. Please try again
    cirmacsvr01:mac cirsvad$
    cirmacsvr01:mac cirsvad$
    cirmacsvr01:mac cirsvad$

* Enterprise update server set up tool 1.0.0.6 for CS 5.0 Adobe Updater
    * Copyright 2009-2010 Adobe Systems Incorporated. All rights reserved.

1. Fresh directory structure set up and update sync

cirmacsvr01:mac cirsvad$

————————————————————————————

Please help

thanks

• Laurent Ades says:

Hi,

Any idea about that one. Is there a log at least that i can check ?

Thanks

Laurent

• Manju Bansal says:

From your screen-print, i get that you are using AUSST 1.0. Could you please download the latest version AUSST 2.0 from the same location and try a fresh directory set up.

Do let me know if there are any further issues/concerns.

Manju Bansal
        Adobe Updater Team

• Laurent Ades says:

Hi Manju,

Many Thanks for that. Very bad on me, i had not even followed up on v2.0. Shame when you think you guys must have been working hard to ship it out there…

It does work. And in fact it works without having to do a fresh install : just entered ’2′ and started downloading updates…

By the way, any to cron a bash script to automate the refresh on a weekly basis ?

Thanks

45. Phill says:

Hi all,

I have an in-house update server installed and running successfully in a Mac OS X environment.
    However all the users are “Standard” users on Mac OS X, therefore must have an administrator password to install the updates.
    Is there a unix command that I can push to the clients using Apple Remote Desktop? It’s quite a task to walk around and type the password in one by one…

Appreciate any suggestions.

• Jody Rodgers says:

Phil,

Hello. This is starting become a common request and I am happy to announce we are working on such a command line tool! I will be demonstrating it at MacWorld IT next week and hope to have it in the hands of people via our Prerelease program this spring. Please let me know if you want to participate with testing.

Cheers,

Jody Rodgers | Senior Product Manager | Enterprise & Volume | Creative Suite | Adobe Systems

• Phill says:

Hi Jody,

Thanks for the reply. Great to hear this feature isn’t too far off! I would love to participate in testing. Are you able to see my email address from your end?

Phill

• Jody Rodgers says:

Phil,

Cool. Yes, we’ll email you when we are ready for testing. Thanks!

Cheers,

• Andre Gagnon says:

I am also interested!!!

• MUIT2012 says:

There is now a solution at the link I provided; based off information in this thread that I apparently misunderstood.

46. ausst says:

I cannot get this tool to work. The current documentation is terrible as far as getting this to work with IIS6.
    I created the mappings and unlike the documentation i used the asp.dll file in c:\windows\system32\inetsrv.
    Using this file at least it looks like it is downloading but then I get an error “U43M1D206″
    if i try to download the zip file directly i get a vbscript error.
    I am sure it is somethign with how it is running on iis6 but again, there is little documentation/help as far as getting this working.
    thanks

47. ausst says:

So i removed the .zip mapping and now the updates appear to be working.
    SUMMARY FOR IIS6
    map .xml, .crl, .sig, .dmg to the c:\windows\system32\inetsrv\asp.dll
    in iis under web service extensions allow active server pages

48. M says:

Has anyone gotten this to work on IIS 7.5? If so, can you post up your web.config file? Thanks.

49. Wolfgang says:

Thanks Christopher :) You inspired me…

Put this in your web.config handlers section:

add name=”SSINC-zip” path=”*.zip” verb=”*” modules=”ServerSideIncludeModule” resourceType=”Unspecified” /
    add name=”SSINC-crl” path=”*.crl” verb=”*” modules=”ServerSideIncludeModule” resourceType=”Unspecified” /
    add name=”SSINC-sig” path=”*.sig” verb=”*” modules=”ServerSideIncludeModule” resourceType=”Unspecified” /
    add name=”SSINC-dmg” path=”*.dmg” verb=”*” modules=”ServerSideIncludeModule” resourceType=”Unspecified” /

And dont forget the brackets ;)
    After this it will work (SSI module needed to be installed).

50. david says:

we keep running into the same problem setting up AUSST 2.0: the updates won’t load due to directory structure errors:

xServe-TimCook:MacOS osxadmin$ /Applications/AdobeUpdateServerSetupTool2.0.app/Contents/MacOS/AdobeUpdateServerSetupTool2.0 –root=”/Library/WebServer/AdobeSuS”

* Enterprise update server set up tool 2.0.0.14 for CS 5.0 and CS 5.5 Adobe Updater
    * Copyright 2009-2011 Adobe Systems Incorporated. All rights reserved.

1. Fresh directory structure set up and update sync
    2. Incremental update sync from Adobe server
    3. Forced update sync from Adobe server
    4. Exit

Please enter your choice: 1

The directory /Library/WebServer/AdobeSuS exists, all the contents will be deleted from this location
    Do you want to continue (Y/N)?y

Failed to create directory structure for updates!

1. Fresh directory structure set up and update sync
    2. Incremental update sync from Adobe server
    3. Forced update sync from Adobe server
    4. Exit

Please enter your choice:

——————————————

can anyone assist with this error? it doesn’t matter if i choose a root folder on the hard drive or on a mounted server/SAN, we get the same error.

server is running OSX 10.7.5 server

51. Pingback: Adobe Update Server Setup Tool CS5 | motionbug

52. sebus says:

Same error:
    Failed to create directory structure for updates!
    while running it on Windows.
    What a **** tool, honestly!