AAMEE 1.2: Best Release Ever!

One of the things the Adobe Application Manager Enterprise Edition is missing is well, let’s admit it: marketing. It wouldn’t be five names long now would it if someone in Adobe’s marketing were involved? It would be something spiffy like Adobe Spiffy. We don’t have a cool icon or logo. Not likely to see an AAMEE banner ad anytime soon. We don’t even have t-shirts to promote ourselves. If we did, I guess it would have to be XL to fit the words Adobe Application Manager Enterprise Edition on it. That is why I have taken it upon myself to start marketing AAMEE and I am starting with this blog title. AAMEE 1.2: Best Release Ever! Clearly hyperbole is what we’ve been missing! Before you know it people will be using AAMEE like a verb like they do Photoshop. “I AAMEE’d that package in like 6 minutes.” Okay, probably not.

Jokes aside the AAMEE crew has been hard at work on this release. And it really is the best release. You know why? 100% of the features came from you. Every new feature with the 1.2 release was based on your feedback. Here’s what you get in 1.2:

• Packages can be deployed from mounted DMGs!
This has been requested since Day 1. Or maybe even sooner, like Hour 1. This is a nice time saver that I am glad we finally got to include.

• AIR components can now be excluded on the Mac.
Certain workflows as well as proxy servers that require manual authentication are just a couple of reasons why an IT admin might need to exclude the AIR components during the CS installation process. We have provided instructions in the new Deployment Guide on how the AIR components can be installed via command line. The biggie being the Community Help application aka CHC. I hope to do a whole blog post on this topic in the new year. There’s something to look forward to. 2011 is looking up already.

• Updates are installed directly from ZIP and DMG files.
This is a pretty great new feature. You no longer have to mount your update files. You just select the ZIP (Windows) or DMG (Mac) files directly. You can even open up a folder of downloaded updates, select all via your keyboard and important them all into AAMEE at once. Nice!

But wait, there’s more. If you download AAMEE today we’ll also throw in two other five word name IT tools for free. Yep, the companion tools to AAMEE, Adobe Provisioning Toolkit Enterprise Edition (APTEE) and Adobe Update Server Setup Tool (AUSST) are now included in the install of AAMEE 1.2. Their locations of the installed apps are listed in the Read Me.

So don’t walk, run to the Creative Suite Enterprise Deployment site where you can get AAMEE 1.2, new Read Me and a brand new updated Deployment Guide all for the low, low cost of… free:

One last marketing ploy: Wouldn’t AAMEE 1.2 make a great holiday gift?

Jody Rodgers | Product Manager| Enterprise & Volume | Creative Suite

16 Responses to AAMEE 1.2: Best Release Ever!

1. Jeff Bernstein says:

Now if you could only throw in a set of Ginsu Knives!!!

Jody, I want to thank you and your team for all your hard work getting to this point. And while it should still be the goal of Adobe to just create PKG and MSI files in the first place, it’s good to know we have a champion for rational thought on the inside.

Now I am going to run and important all my updates into AAMEE at once. 8-)

Happy Holidays!!!

2. Jay Connor says:

I Agree with Jeff but I like to pretend that there is 1 group in Adobe that makes the apps then there is the AAMEE group that have to fixes the installers.

My AAMEE Wishlist: Just use master collection to create a super msi and have a properties to specify the edition of CS5 or make it spit out msi’s for each edition.

3. Don Montalvo says:

Jody, on behalf of the many clients we support (who have been beating our door down for CS5 for months), I wanted to congratulate you and your team for a job well done. We’ve begun to deploy Adobe CS5 Master Collection and Adobe Acrobat Pro 9 to many users in large multimedia enterprise environments…while they’re home sleeping and their computer is logged off!

Thanks for keeping this forum open, it’s an extremely valuable resource. And thanks for helping to get the other product managers on board. And most of all, thanks for having a thick skin (a prerequisite for working with stressed out IT administrators).

Kudos to you and your whole team! Bravo!

Don Montalvo
    Dallas, TX

4. Thanks, Jody,

for herding the Adobe cats together to get this invaluable tool to us.

This will save many man hours and frustration in deploying CS5 for many people around the world.

Thanks for keeping this forum open, It has been useful for many of us. Hopefully now, though, I won’t wake up each morning with 5+ emails and updates from Don!

Cheers, keep up the good work, there’s still more to be done (consolidation of the spray of files installed by Adobe products, down to one drag and droppable icon perhaps?)!

Charlie

5. I to would to thank the AAMEE team. I am going to go back and look at my installers again and try this approach. I tried 1.0 when it was in beta and it didn’t work for me, but I have continued to follow the progress of the team and it seems to be ongoing and solid.

This is good to see. Roll on 1.3, but I suppose you can have Christmas off first :-)

Best wishes

Michael

6. Jody Rodgers says:

Thanks all for the kind words about our effort! That means a lot to me and the team. And although I like Michael’s idea that somehow we could take off for the holidays right now, we are actually full-on into the planning and design phases for the next release. We’ll be tackling some bigger things in the releases for 2011 now that we have met a base level of features for these tools. So much left to do in this space though, but really encouraging to hear this feedback from the community. Thank you.

Jody Rodgers | Product Manager| Enterprise & Volume | Creative Suite

7. Andy Blackham says:

These tools are great but for me, we’re still missing support for authenticated proxies using AUSST.

This would be such a time and bandwidth saver, but we have very tight policies on web access and its authenticated or nothing. If AUSST does support proxies, its not in the –help

But thanks for what you’ve done so far!
    Andy

8. Andy Blackham says:

For Mac users out there I can now confirm that if you set your proxy like this, AUSST will work on a Mac using an authenticated squid proxy

export http_proxy=http://username:password@proxyhost:port/

it works fine.

9. Ryan Stasel says:

Any chance we could see an option in 1.3 (or whenever) that would have AAMEE actually show the updates available from Adobe, allow us to check/uncheck which we want to include for deployment, and then include those in the package?

Seems this would speed up the process rather than having the deployer figure out all the updates, and download them, only to have to figure out again at a later date which one are new/old, etc.

Thanks! I have to admit, this is still the best tool for deployment I’ve seen out of Adobe, like, ever. =)

• Jody Rodgers says:

Ryan, this is a great suggestion and I can assure you it is already in our feature backlog. Every time we hear feedback like this it really helps our team prioritize that backlog. If 25 people people commented on the fact that they wanted to change the look from slate grey to neon lime green we would be the first to go to our Experience Design team with that feedback: “The people want neon lime green!”

And as far as your compliment about our team creating the best Adobe tool for deployment ever I appreciate that a lot. I am not saying that we aren’t, but I have always been a fan of Acrobat’s Customization Wizard they have for the Windows platform which is a pretty powerful tool. The Acrobat X Windows version of that tool and their new provisioning tool are coming out fairly soon:

Jody Rodgers | Product Manager| Enterprise & Volume | Creative Suite

10. David White says:

I am trying to build a deployment package for Acrobat X for Mac. When I use AAMEE and try to specify the installer on the distribution CD, AAMEE doesn’t acknowledge it as a valid installer. Am I missing something?

• Jody Rodgers says:

Hi David. AAMEE 1.2 presently only supports the installers for the Creative Suite 5 applications. Acrobat, an important component of the Suite family, is on a different cycle and uses different installer technology. The Acrobat X for Mac application is using an Apple PKG and should be able to be deployed out using most PKG based deployment tools. If you have trouble let me know and I can loop the Acrobat support team or your deployment tool vendor in and we can make sure you are able to deploy Acrobat X. Let’s know!

Jody Rodgers | Product Manager| Enterprise & Volume | Creative Suite

11. Alastair Shapley says:

This post specifically relates to the Adobe Update Server Setup Tool (AUSST)… its useless, at least in a windows sense. I do wonder if indeed it was tested on windows server at all. I could try and run it on a desktop I suppose, doesnt sound very “enterprisey” though does it?

I hate to be the first negative commenter here, I was so excited to see that adobe are actually working on solving some of our problems by creating some kinda of a centralised updating mechanism. We have hundreds of machines with the various versions of the adobe suites installed, which at present all need to be updated individually. Given the size of the typical adobe update Im sure you can guess how much bandwidth we are needlessly chewing through.

re: AUSST
    First things first. Windows machines do not use forward slashes to represent paths. Expecting a windows admin to switch backslashes to forward slashes does not make sense. We dont use paths like “/serverroot/adobe/cs5″ on windows. Just no. Once I finally get your tool to recognise the path I had created for updates, the tool crashes with an unknown exception. (server 2003). No logfile, no information, just an exception. :-(

Secondly, you dont support authenticated proxies. This is supposed to be an “enterprise” application, correct? Then perhaps support enterprise environments?

Thirdly I had hoped that perhaps the new tool had gotten around the issue that users need admin rights to install the updates themselves (no, none of our users have admin rights, never gonna happen in any decent corporate IT department). This needs to work ala WSUS with the updates pushed or installed using an administrative account. So even if I do eventually manage to get this tool working, the users still can’t actually install any updates without my poor helpdeskers paying them a visit. Yes, SCCM may be able to solve these issues, once we package every update up…

As for the AAME tool, well, haven’t had the chance to try it yet, but it looks a little more polished. :-)

• Jody Rodgers says:

Alastair, we gladly accept “tough love” comments on this blog and greatly appreciate you taking the time to call out the specific recommendations for AUSST. I have passed the feedback onto the team. The AUSST engineering effort is certainly smaller in scale than AAMEE. It is more like a skunkworks project really. We are actually quite pleased at the level of interest for this solution and this encourages the team to get out that buffer cloth to put a little shine on it. Thanks again!

Jody Rodgers | Product Manager| Enterprise & Volume | Creative Suite

12. Charlie Smith says:

It would be handy if you guys had a feedback button/link directly on the AAMEE site, but since you don’t, I’m posting my comment here. ;-) AAMEE 1.2 works great for packaging up Photoshop CS5 for Mac, with one exception. The latest TWAIN plug-in (http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=4904) is not a recognizable update that can be added to the package. I suspect this is because there is no installer per se, you simply drag the plug-in into the appropriate spot. It would be nice if all of the available updates could be rolled into the install package. Thanks!

13. Pingback: Deploying Adobe Creative Suite software is much, much easier now « After Effects region of interest