AAMEE 2.0 and AUSST 2.0 Live!

The 2.0 version of Adobe Application Manager Enterprise Edition (or AAMEE so that I do not get carpal tunnel from typing the full name) is available directly for downloading for the Adobe DevNet site. http://www.adobe.com/devnet/creativesuite/enterprisedeployment.html In addition to this release the 2.0 version of the Adobe Update Server Setup Tool (AUSST) is now available for download as well. More about AUSST in a bit.

AAMEE 2.0

The team has been hard at work to create a new version of AAMEE that supports the new CS 5.5 release but also supports CS 5.0 media and 5.0 updates. The two big new features of AAMEE are: 1) in-app updates and 2) support for Acrobat X with CS 5.5 media.

I am really excited about the in-app updating, so excited that I already blogged about it, basically stealing my own thunder as it were. But seriously, it was a pain to leave AAMEE and go then go to the CS Updates blog and download the updates and then manually add them. Right? Right. And how on earth could you possibly know if all those updates were interrelated to the applications you were deploying? Do you a PHD in Adobe Updateology? Me neither, and I work here. This is why the team delivered the ability in this new version to have AAMEE query Adobe’s external update server for you. You pick the applications you are creating the package for on the Updates screen and then it shows you the updates related to that update. Then you can download them from within AAMEE and build your core application package with the latest updates or if you are creating just an update package of CS applications it is up to date. What if you are creating more than one package? AAMEE caches the updates so they can be repurposed.

Also on the topic of updates, if you have been deploying the video products you will want to check out the section of the Deployment Guide called “Difference between Product Update Names for DVD and Electronic Software Distribution—Combination Package” to explain why you might be seeing updates labeled Trial even if you did not download a trial CS installer or even if your software was serialized. This involves esoteric things such as licensed content, templates, ESDs, and other things you might know if you had that PHD in Adobe Updateology or if you were Todd Kopriva.

A great aspect of working with the CS 5.5 media is that it comes with Acrobat Pro X on the same disc or disc image. And AAMEE 2.0 supports it. Progress! Before I get carried away with my exclamation marks I should sober myself with visualizing the long series of asterisk marks this topic deserves as there are indeed a decent amount of caveats with deploying and updating Acrobat Pro X as part of CS 5.5. Please check out the “Deploying Adobe Acrobat” section of the Deployment Guide and ESPECIALLY the “Handling Feature Lockdown on Mac OS after Applying Updates” subsection if you are deploying Acrobat X out to Macs as part of an AAMEE package. I know it isn’t pretty. What is not in the doc, specific to Acrobat Pro X, is that on the Mac you also need to mac sure you are deploying the package out to the right OS. For instance, if you are using a North American English CS 5.5 serial you will run into trouble deploying this out to a Mac that has their OS language set to Swedish. That is a bit of an edge case, but if you run into this let us know and we’ll have some workarounds.

AUSST 2.0

AUSST allows you setup a local update server to house your Adobe CS updates on your own server. If your users are admins you can save a lot of bandwidth from having them pull the updates locally instead of from Adobe’s servers. I pronounce AUSST similar to “cost” sans the “c” of course, or like saying the city of Austin without the “in” part. Trust me, saying the full names or even the five letters of these five name IT tools in full gets old real fast.

Now that we got the pronunciation out of the way, let’s talk about what’s new with AUSST 2.0. Primarily and most importantly it provides support for the forthcoming CS 5.5 updates. So if you are an organization using the current version of AUSST and are about to migrate to 5.5 or will have a mixed environment of 5.0 and 5.5 users you will want to upgrade right away. For clarification, if you are running an update server setup with AUSST 2.0 it will support both 5.0 and 5.5 updates.

Along with the release we have a completely new documentation for AUSST. We heard your feedback loud and clear about the documentation and have effectively rebooted the documentation. We’d love to hear your thoughts on the new documentation as a lot of time was spent on re-visioning it. We want to continually improve these docs so that getting started with an update server is straightforward.

What does AUSST 2.0 not do? Well the biggie that is not yet implemented is the ability to send out command line requests to the AUSST server to push out updates to end users. We are looking into this and other feature requests for a future version of AUSST.

Note: AUSST 2.0 is part of the AAMEE 2.0 install. The location for the various operating systems is on Page 15 of the Deployment Guide. It is also available as a separate download on the Adobe DevNet site

Please keep in touch. We read every single comment. Even the spam comments.

Jody Rodgers | Senior Product Manager | Enterprise & Volume | Creative Suite

44 Responses to AAMEE 2.0 and AUSST 2.0 Live!

1. Jeff Vandehey says:

Great! I have one comment…..why is the file download called:

ApplicationManagerEnterprise_1_all.dmg

When this is version 2? Kinda confusing since there was a version one. Wouldn’t this file be better named:

ApplicationManagerEnterprise_2_all.dmg

-Jeff

• Jody Rodgers says:

We are looking into changing this as I agree, this is confusing. Thanks Jeff!

Jody Rodgers | Senior Product Manager | Enterprise & Volume | Creative Suite

2. Jeff Vandehey says:

I have been working on AUSST today, and have a couple of comments. The Deployment guide lists a simple command to invoke the tool:

./AdobeUpdateServerSetupTool2.0 –root=”WEBROOT”

But, AdobeUpdateServerSetupTool2.0 is BURIED in the filesystem here:

/Library/Application Support/Adobe/OOBE/PDApp/Enterprise/utilities/AUSST/AdobeUpdateServerSetupTool2.0.app/Contents/MacOS

Wow, pretty deep path. Why the need to wrap a Python script inside of a .app bundle? Also, it would be great if this could take arguments for the desired option. It would be nice to put this in cron (launchd) so it ran on intervals. Invoking it manually is a bit painful.

3. I brought up the inability to provide arguments/the launchd thing back when 1.0 was released in September.

No change in 2.0. I am disappointed, but not surprised. After all, this is Adobe…

4. Kevin Cecil says:

Can an option be put in AAMEE to change the “Quit application on completion of build” behavior?

If I am building several packages, re-launching and re-authenticating after each package is annoying. Just leave the application open so I can go right to work on the next one.

Not huge, but you asked!

5. Don Montalvo says:

Excellent release! Looking forward to the terminal command for updating clients. Most of our users are not admin (so sneaker-net only method to update)…so aligning with Apple SUS functionality is going to be BIG! We just deployed Adobe CS5 Master Collection to several hundred users (zero touch, no issues) and we’re just not facing the issue of how to get these users updated. :)

Thanks to Jody and his entire team for all the progress!!!

Don Montalvo, TX

6. Kai Howells says:

Jody,

Once again an outstanding effort from you and the rest of the team working on all of this. Once we get a few minor path issues sorted out (/usr/local/bin for command-line tools, and /Applications/Utilities/Adobe for AAMEE?) we’ll be onto a winner.
    I also agree with Don above that a push method for sending updates to workstations would provide an excellent way to manage workstations in a hands-off fashion.

Keep up the good work.

Kai

7. Ken says:

I have an OVERRIDES file pointing to our local update server, it would be nice if AAMEE also used this OVERRIDES file to download the updates. It’s so slow going to the Adobe update server, when I already have the updates mirrored.

Thanks for your efforts in making Adobe products easier to deploy.

• Manju Bansal says:

Good News !! You may very well put the same overrides on the local update server, AAMEE would start using local update server to download the updates.

Thanks,
      Manju Bansal
      AUSST Engineering Team

8. Victor Orly says:

Hey Adobe Folks;

I was using AUSST perfectly in CS5, just upgraded my server to AUSST 2.0 and made packages for Design Premium 5.5 Mac (perfectly). I used the command line to create the Adobe.Overrides and deployed them to clients.

Problem is, the clients can’t update. All Mac’s, even the server (Xserve Xeon, 10.6.7)

Error:

The update server is not responding. The server might be offline temporarily, or the internet or firewall settings may be incorrect. Please try again later. Error Code: U41M1C213

If I got with my browser to:

http://myservername:1234/CS5/webfeed/oobe/aam20/mac/updaterfeed.xml – I know everything works because I get this displayed:

This page contains the following errors:
    error on line 1 at column 1: Document is empty
    Below is a rendering of the page up to the first error.

but just going to

I see the diretory, so no problem with web services.

On the clients, if I manually move AdobeUpdater.Overrides out of the directory ( /Library/Application Support/Adobe/AAMUpdater/1.0/ ) – the updater runs, but just says I’m all up to date.

Please help…

Victor

• Manju Bansal says:

I hope your issue is resolved now. Please update this thread if so.

• Kevin Eaton says:

I am having the same issue, any idea on the fix

• Kevin Eaton says:

BTW there are no firewalls in between, client can ping server, i can get to the XML page which gives the “Invalid at the top level of the document. Error processing resource ” error.

They are on different siubnets however, could this need a port unblocking on our switch ACL’s? (if so which port?)

• Kevin Eaton says:

OK seems to be working now

I have the server set on port 80, it seems when i generated the AdobeUpdater.Overrides file, there wasnt a reference to the port number, so I added

to each AppID section, message changed “your applications are up to date”

So llooks like an issue with the overides generator

• Kevin Eaton says:

80 even (seems to have removed my old formatting)

• Kevin Eaton says:

delete my last comment its removing formatting from my post, a link to a fix would be handy for this though (and if no one else has found out, feel free to send me a cheque for figuring it out ;) )

9. Geoff Lee says:

Using design premium, if I install with AAMEE, serialise with adobe_prtk and then start Acrobat first, none of the other products will be serialised. If I start another product first then everything is serialised.

This is completely repeatable by unserialising and re-serialising the suite.

Is anyone else seeing this? This is pretty much a showstopper for lab deployments…

• Eric Wilde says:

Geoff,

One of our engineers will reach out to you in email.

–Eric

• Lee Ramsay says:

I have the same issue as Geoff. We have a volume license for Master Collection, and I’m unable to deploy Acrobat X with cs5.5, without coming across this issue, every time.

At the moment my deployment option is “just don’t deploy acrobat”. No combination of AAMEE options & serialising acrobat/the master collection with the adobe_prtk tool seems to change the fact that on firstrun, acrobat ruins the serialisation of everything else.

Did adobe not learn their lesson with acrobat 9 and the self heal issue?

I would also appreciate any sort of deployable fix I can use to remedy this.

10. Dave Castelletti says:

Upon updating from AUSST 1.0 to 2.0, and altering my repository path from /Adobe/CS5 to /Adobe/CS, I had hoped to avoid the duplication of updates. It seems, however, that the 2.0 folder is pulling in _all_ updates that are also in the 1.0 folder.

Is this true? If so, why? Is it not possible to avoid data duplication? I realize the footprint is relatively small now, but this sort of dev mentality can create problems.

Furthermore, is it safe to remove the 1.0 folder provided all overrides files are updated within the local environment?

Thanks,
    Dave

• Manju Bansal says:

There has to be a single root location for hosting Adobe updates. With in that root AUSST will branch off 1.0 and 2.0 updates on its own.If you are already hosting 1.0 updates, you may simply pass on the same root. This workflow has been knowingly kept for simplicity purposes.

Yes, in case you have specified a different root for AUSST 2.0 and updated the client with new overrides, you may delete the 1.0 old root location as 2.0 location is sufficient for all updates.

Thanks,
      Manju Bansal
      Adobe Updater Engineering Team

• Dave Castelletti says:

Thank you Manju.

When updating from 1.0 to 2.0 (AUSST), I’ve found it helpful to create a symlink as follows to prevent pre-existing AUSST 1.0-based overrides file from ‘breaking’ after the server is updated.

old directory = /Adobe/CS5
        was *renamed* to…
        new directory = /Adobe/CS

I renamed it in order to keep the data footprint as small as I could.

In the case of my Mac server, I created a symlink in Terminal:
        # ln -s /Adobe/CS/ /Adobe/CS5

Even though I have updated the overrides files on most of my company’s machines, some of them were disconnected from the network at the time. This change, I believe, will keep the old configuration working. Am I right about that?

One other question–why is it that the new AdobeUpdater.Overrides is, according to the documentation as well as with deployments created in AAMEE, placed in
        /Library/Application Support/Adobe/AAMUpdater/1.0
        instead of…
        /Library/Application Support/Adobe/AAMUpdater/2.0 ??

It seems a bit counter-intuitive.

Dave

• Manju Bansal says:

Old overrides will keep working if old AUSST directory and its contents are intact. But old overrides will only work only for CS5 updates and not CS 5.5.

Since CS5 and CS 5.5 share a common overrides file, the location for CS 5.5 overrides is also the same as that for CS5.

Thanks,
          Manju Bansal
          AUSST Engineering Team

11. Robert says:

is there anyway (at all) that we can use AUSST or Adobe Update to update workstations where users DO NOT have admin rights to the workstation like MS Windows Updates?

Or am i resigned to using the MSI packager as part of AAMEE?

thanks

• Jody Rodgers says:

Hello. Not at this time. We are looking at a couple of ways to implement an easier updating experience in the enterprise and will keep you posted on the direction we are headed. At the moment the best workflow in the common environment where the end user is not an admin, is using AAMEE 2.0 to download and package the updates and then push them out via your deployment tool.

Or just give your user’s admin rights. What possibly could go wrong? (I am kidding!)

Jody Rodgers | Senior Product Manager | Enterprise & Volume | Creative Suite

• Robert says:

Thanks Jody, I ended up using AAMEE to build an MSI then deploy it.

The only annoyances I would like to report are:
        a) There is no way to pick a specific Language for the update ie only English
        b) There is no way to incrementally update the previous MSI package with newer updates, thus having to download the 2.5GB again perhpahs only to pick up 250MB of newer updates.

• Jody Rodgers says:

Thanks for the feedback Robert. You are right there is not a way to select different languages. This is a great suggestion and I have added it to the backlog for things for the team to review. We have actually already been looking into wether or not we could augment existing packages and add the current updates. We’ll let you know if this is something we can implement for a future release. Thanks again for your feedback as it directly affects our focus!

Jody Rodgers | Senior Product Manager | Enterprise & Volume | Creative Suite

12. Tim Kimpton says:

I can’t get this working anymore i had version 1.0 and updates stopped downloading. I upgraded to version 2.0 and have gone through all the configs. It looks as though the updates are downloading but then i get messages in the updater to say there were problems downloading the updates. No matter what i do i cannot get this working.

13. Tim Kimpton says:

i have found that updates get downloaded then they are deleted for some reason

• Manju Bansal says:

Please get us the detailed updater logs from a client machine. Steps to get the logs are:

1.Go to following user folder and delete the aamu.log file.
      •Win Vista and higher: :\Users\AppData\Local\Adobe\AAMUpdater\1.0\
      •Win XP: :\Documents and Settings\\Local Settings\Application Data\Adobe\AAMUpdater\1.0\
      •Mac OS: ~/Library/Application Support/Adobe/AAMUpdater/1.0/

2. Inside the same folder, right click on AdobeUpdaterPrefs.dat file and open it in Notepad.
      3. Search for string “2″ and replace it with “10″
      4. Now, try to run the updater workflow again.
      5. If the workflow fails, then please provide us all the newly created log files along with aamu.log

Thanks,
      Manju
      Adobe Updater Team

14. Mattias Håkansson says:

This is exactly my situation I need help with the workaround.

“if you are using a North American English CS 5.5 serial you will run into trouble deploying this out to a Mac that has their OS language set to Swedish.”

Thanks

Mattias

15. When creating updaters in 2.0, I have to name the package before selecting the update on the 2nd screen. I like to include the version number in the package name. So this means I need to still use the website to see which version of is the latest so I can give it an appropriate name, then go to the 2nd screen to select the package.

It might make more sense to have a 3rd screen to name the package, perhaps even have it auto-fill based on package(s) selected on the 2nd screen.

16. Allister Banks says:

So this has been less than enjoyable, turning off (Symantec auto-protect) AV and running the install as an admin fails after I get to the Acrobat section. How do I get support? Comments are silly places to file a ticket, but:

================================================================================
    Jul 28 16:40:21 NYCDK00098 Installer[6718]: It took 0.00 seconds to summarize the package selections.
    Jul 28 16:40:21 NYCDK00098 Installer[6718]: -[IFPKGDerivedDocument sortedPackageLocations]: result = (\n “file://localhost”\n)
    Jul 28 16:40:21 NYCDK00098 Installer[6718]: -[IFDInstallController(Private) _buildInstallPlan]: location = file:// localhost
    Jul 28 16:40:21 NYCDK00098 Installer[6718]: -[IFDInstallController(Private) _buildInstallPlan]: file://localhost/ Users/wcadmin/Desktop/AcroIllusPSandID_Install.pkg
    Jul 28 16:40:21 NYCDK00098 Installer[6718]: Will use PK session
    Jul 28 16:40:21 NYCDK00098 Installer[6718]: Starting installation:
    Jul 28 16:40:21 NYCDK00098 Installer[6718]: Configuring volume “Mac250GB”
    Jul 28 16:40:21 NYCDK00098 Installer[6718]: Preparing disk for local booted install.
    Jul 28 16:40:21 NYCDK00098 Installer[6718]: Free space on “Mac250GB”: 215.44 GB (215441137664 bytes). Jul 28 16:40:21 NYCDK00098 Installer[6718]: Create temporary directory “/var/folders/0+/0+qexD4VHzeHv- c0g7UbSk+++TI/-Tmp-//Install.6718mkvoaC”
    Jul 28 16:40:21 NYCDK00098 Installer[6718]: IFPKInstallElement (1 packages)
    Jul 28 16:40:21 NYCDK00098 installd[6736]: PackageKit: —– Begin install —–
    Jul 28 16:40:21 NYCDK00098 installd[6736]: PackageKit: request=PKInstallRequest
    Jul 28 16:40:21 NYCDK00098 installd[6736]: PackageKit: packages=(\n “PKJaguarPackage “\n)
    Jul 28 16:40:21 NYCDK00098 installd[6736]: PackageKit: Extracting file://localhost/Users/wcadmin/Desktop/ AcroIllusPSandID_Install.pkg (destination=/var/folders/zz/zzzivhrRnAmviuee+++++++++++/Cleanup At Startup/ PKInstallSandbox-tmp/Root, uid=0)
    Jul 28 16:40:21 NYCDK00098 installd[6736]: PackageKit: Executing script “./preinstall” in /Users/wcadmin/ Desktop/AcroIllusPSandID_Install.pkg/Contents/Resources
    Jul 28 16:40:21 NYCDK00098 installd[6736]: ./preinstall: AAMEE Installer : preinstall launched…
    Jul 28 16:40:21 NYCDK00098 installd[6736]: ./preinstall: AAMEE Installer : Working directory is /Users/ wcadmin/Desktop/AcroIllusPSandID_Install.pkg/Contents/Resources
    Jul 28 16:40:21 NYCDK00098 installd[6736]: ./preinstall: AAMEE Installer : Launching AdobeDeploymentManager…
    Jul 28 16:40:22 NYCDK00098 installd[6736]: ./preinstall: Starting Installer…
    Jul 28 16:40:22 NYCDK00098 installd[6736]: ./preinstall: In Silent mode.
    Jul 28 16:41:10 NYCDK00098 installd[6736]: ./preinstall: Exiting Installer with Code: 0 Jul 28 16:41:11 NYCDK00098 installd[6736]: ./preinstall: Starting Installer…
    Jul 28 16:41:11 NYCDK00098 installd[6736]: ./preinstall: In Silent mode.
    Jul 28 16:41:35 NYCDK00098 installd[6736]: ./preinstall: Exiting Installer with Code: 0 Jul 28 16:41:35 NYCDK00098 installd[6736]: ./preinstall: Begin Adobe Setup
    Jul 28 16:41:35 NYCDK00098 installd[6736]: ./preinstall: UI mode: Silent
    Jul 28 16:41:40 NYCDK00098 installd[6736]: ./preinstall: Error : Conflicting Processes running.
    Jul 28 16:41:40 NYCDK00098 installd[6736]: ./preinstall: Exit Code: 19
    Jul 28 16:41:40 NYCDK00098 installd[6736]: ./preinstall: Begin Adobe Setup
    Jul 28 16:41:40 NYCDK00098 installd[6736]: ./preinstall: UI mode: Silent
    Jul 28 16:41:40 NYCDK00098 installd[6736]: ./preinstall: Error : The product is not installed, cannot uninstall. Jul 28 16:41:40 NYCDK00098 installd[6736]: ./preinstall: Exit Code: 33
    Jul 28 16:41:40 NYCDK00098 installd[6736]: ./preinstall: AAMEE Installer : Exit code of AdobeDeploymentManager is (79)
    Jul 28 16:41:40 NYCDK00098 installd[6736]: PackageKit: Install Failed: PKG: pre-install scripts for “com.adobe.Enterprise.install.FEA021CB-9382-40FC-8F80-ACDED28FA46F”\nError Domain=PKInstallErrorDomain Code=112 UserInfo=0×100434730 “An error occurred while running scripts from the package “AcroIllusPSandID_Install.pkg”.” {\n NSFilePath = “./preinstall”;\n NSLocalizedDescription = “An error occurred while running scripts from the package \U201cAcroIllusPSandID_Install.pkg\U201d.”;\n NSURL = “file://localhost/Users/wcadmin/Desktop/AcroIllusPSandID_Install.pkg”;\n PKInstallPackageIdentifier = “com.adobe.Enterprise.install.FEA021CB-9382-40FC-8F80-ACDED28FA46F”;\n}
    Jul 28 16:41:40 NYCDK00098 Installer[6718]: install:didFailWithError:Error Domain=PKInstallErrorDomain Code=112 UserInfo=0x1002cf120 “An error occurred while running scripts from the package “AcroIllusPSandID_Install.pkg”.”
    Jul 28 16:41:41 NYCDK00098 Installer[6718]: Install failed: The Installer encountered an error that caused the installation to fail. Contact the software manufacturer for assistance.
    Jul 28 16:41:41 NYCDK00098 Installer[6718]: IFDInstallController 7114E00 state = 7
    Jul 28 16:41:41 NYCDK00098 Installer[6718]: Displaying ‘Install Failed’ UI.
    Jul 28 16:41:41 NYCDK00098 Installer[6718]: ‘Install Failed’ UI displayed message:’The Installer encountered an error that caused the installation to fail. Contact the software manufacturer for assistance.’.

17. Allister Banks says:

sadtrombone.com
    After a reboot it went through… guess I didn’t make the proper sacrifices to the IT gods.

18. Pingback: Adobe CS5.5 Deployed with AAMEE but now asking for serial.

19. Alexandre Blanchette says:

It would be great if a command-line option could be added to AUSST so it can update without any interaction. After all, isn’t it the point of all this?

20. Tim Kimpton says:

AUSST 2.0 generate client config overrides from the com and line mac is incorrect and doesn’t work. Clients read the web feed fine but downloading of updates fail. Seems to work on a full sync option 1 with a new structure but can’t keep doing that all the time.

21. Tim Kimpton says:

All ok now since making sure the client has the latest Adobe Application Manager

22. Kristin Maling says:

I am only interested in deploying an Adobe Software Update server for Adobe CS 5.5 (I’m not looking to deploy the CS 5.5 application software as I have other tools for that).

I’m trying to install this on a Mac Pro running OS X Server (10.6.8).

I’ve downloaded “AUSST_2_0.dmg” and placed “AdobeUpdateServerSetupTool2.0.app” in my Applications folder.

Via Terminal, I’m sitting in the following directory:

/Volumes/OS Drive/Applications/AdobeUpdateServerSetupTool2.0.app/Contents/MacOS

I attempt to run the following command from that directory:

I get the following error:

-bash: AdobeUpdateServerSetupTool2.0: command not found

if I run:

AdobeUpdateServerSetupTool2.0 –help

I get the same error.

What am I doing wrong?

23. Daniel says:

Rather use the full path to the tool :

/Volumes/OS Drive/Applications/AdobeUpdateServerSetupTool2.0.app/Contents/MacOS/AdobeUpdateServerSetupTool2.0 –root=”/Volumes/Data\ Drive/Software\ Updates/Adobe”

24. sebus says:

Windows version is NOT able to download to anything beyond c:\
    Trying to do –root=”D:\Updates\Adobe\CS” is simply a no go from start