AAMEE 3.1 Beta Live (Yes, Updates Have Returned!)

Update for Sep 13, 2012:  The release of AAMEE 3.1 is live and features 3 significant features not in the beta. See the blog post AAMEE 3.1…or why puffer fish is a delicacy for more info.

____________________

I was working on another draft of my acceptance speech for Software Industry’s Worst Product Manager of the Year 2012 award when I got the call: AAMEE 3.1 could be released as a beta. And this series of mudslinging and thinly veiled (and some not so veiled) insults will no hopefully come to a close. With the return of the Updates workflow we can now can dodge rotten tomatoes thrown our way for worthy reasons (like breaking imaging workflows) instead of taking out features everyone liked.

The beta of AAMEE 3.1 is now on Adobe Labs in the Enterprise IT Tools for Adobe Creative Suite section. We decided to go the route of releasing the beta on Adobe Labs instead of our traditional Prerelease program because we wanted to get this in the hands of as many people as possible, as soon as possible. This release is not 100% “feature complete” and I am hoping to get one more significant component into this release. In the meantime, here is the Top Ten of what is new with AAMEE 3.1 beta:

1)   Updates added to Installation Package workflow

2)   Updates added to Trial Package workflow

3)   Update Package workflow added

4)   Modify Existing Package workflow added

5)   Support for eLearning Suite 6

6)   Support for Technical Communication Suite 4

7)    New Welcome screen

8)   Display of build time now in % (and more accurate)

9)   Ability to specify specific updates with Remote Update Manager

10) Adobe Exceptions Deployer now in Exceptions folder

Okay, so I ran out of things for the Top Ten and had to include changes for RUM and xDA. But you get the point; the AAMEE crew has been b-u-s-y these last two months! And now get thee to the Internets. Oh wait, you are on the internet already. Okay, then, please follow these easy steps:

1) Go here: http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/aameetools/

2) Read the 3.1 Read Me and updated Deployment Guide

3) Read and accept the terms and download the AAMEE 3.1 beta

4) Use the AAMEE 3.1 beta and happily make update packages in the comfort of air conditioned rooms while drinking lemonade.

5) Provide your feedback about this release in the Labs forum:

6) Follow the @Adobe_ITToolkit and/or set your RSS reader to this blog so you can be informed of when AAMEE 3.1 ships

Thanks to the AAMEE crew for getting this out so quickly and thanks in advance to everyone for helping us out testing this beta.

Jody Rodgers | Senior Product Manager | Enterprise + Volume | Digital Media | Adobe Systems

19 Responses to AAMEE 3.1 Beta Live (Yes, Updates Have Returned!)

1. Don Montalvo says:

AAMEE 3.1 supports CS6 and AAMEE 2.1 supports CS5/5.5…can we have both versions of AAMEE installed concurrently?

Thanks for all your hard work on AAMEE…every Mac admin in the world owes you a beer!

Don

• Saransh Katariya says:

hi,

No, you cannot have both versions of AAMEE installed concurrently on the same machine. You should use different machines for AAMEE 3.1 and AAMEE 2.1. In case you want to install AAMEE 2.1 over AAMEE 3.1, please uninstall AAMEE 3.1 using the Remove AAMEE utility posted at http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/aameetools/. Once you have successfully removed AAMEE 3.1 , you can install AAMEE 2.1 on the same machine.

Regards,
      Saransh Katariya | Member of Technical Staff | Adobe Systems | skatariy@adobe.com

2. agreed. It is beyond nice to have our largest complaints be so…small anymore.

3. thomasC says:

Great news! Happy to get back update packaging. Will post any issues.

Thomas

4. Mike Flender says:

Thanks for posting this. I just deployed CS6 Master Collection to a Mac OS X 10.7.4 machine using the AAMEE 3.1 beta and it seems to be working perfectly.

5. Don Montalvo says:

We used AAMEE 3.0 to package the suites. Can we now use AAMEE 3.1’s “Update workflow” feature to roll in updates? Or can AAMEE 3.1 only update packages created with AAMEE 3.1?

Thanks,
    Don

• Jody Rodgers says:

Good question Don. Yes, you can use the AAMEE 3.1 beta to update AAMEE 3.0 created packages using the Modify Existing Package workflow. You would also be able to create an update package with AAMEE 3.1 and then push it out to your systems. But don’t forget about RUM for updating your clients!

6. Art Vandelay says:

You mention changes to RUM. Yet, there hasn’t been a new RUM posted.

• Jody Rodgers says:

The new RUM comes with the AAMEE 3.1 beta install. We will also be posting the new RUM separately on Adobe Labs very soon.

7. Larry Towers says:

So is imaging support dead forever? What happens when a computer dies before being deactivated?

• Jody Rodgers says:

No, not at all. There are just some different steps that you need to go through. Check out the steps on this blog entry:
      Imaging CS6-Attack of the Clones

And in regards to the computer dying before being deactivated, if you are using a volume serial number with AAMEE 3.x the activation component is moot. The necessity of activation for the clients is removed by AAMEE.

Jody Rodgers | Sr. Product Manager | Enterprise + Volume | Digital Media | Adobe Systems

8. Charlie says:

I just created a new CS6 installer for my client.
    I used ARD to install the .pkg.

If no user was logged in, then the .pkg does NOT successfully install anything. ARD reports a successful install, however nothing gets installed.

Copying the package to the desktop of the machine and running it manually does work.

We have 160 machines, I’d rather be able to do this remotely, automatically.

9. Mike says:

Hello – Not sure if I can install AAMEE 3.1 Utility for Mac OVER the 3.0 utility or should I unininstall the 3.0 utility first? If so (trying it already), I get the following errors using “Remove_AMEE”

“Please launch Remove_AAMEE with Admin privileges.
    Remove_AAMEE exiting with Return Code (2)

(As root): “Adobe Products are installed on the system. Please uninstall them first and retry”. Thanks.

10. Karthikeyan says:

Hi,

When I launch Illustrator CS6, Bridge CS6, Media Encoder CS6 in other user accounts, it crashes while launching. These apps works only in user who installs the AAMEE 3.1 created CS6 package. When I installed manually through Adobe Setup from DMG, it works fine. Am I doing any mistake or suggest me any work around.

Regards,
    Karthikeyan

11. Cyrus says:

Jody – awesome presentations at JNUC. I learned about RUM during one of your presentations but I’m having a little trouble! Ran the script InstallRUMManPage.sh and the man page gets installed in correct location according to the script but no man pages or ability to check for updates in Terminal. So I suspect RemoteUpdateManager might be the missing piece but I’m not clear how and where it needs to go. Looked though provided documentation and didn’t see any specifics on how to install RUM on a workstation…or did I miss something?

Also I’d like to know if RUM can be installed remotely on client machines. Can you point me in the right direction?

Regards,