Mountain Lion and AAMEE

The AAMEE crew has been working with the developer builds of Mountain Lion (OS X 10.8) since Day One and Apple Remote Desktop (ARD) 3.6 on Day Two. Why did it take us a whole extra day to start testing ARD 3.6? We like to pace ourselves. A wise many named Howard Jones once said: Don’t try and live your life in one day. That’s right, all my deep personal philosophy is culled from New Wave songs. Don’t get me started about the deepness of the Thompson Twins. Maybe you are trying to live your life in one day. Maybe you are an IT admin and you downloaded and tested out the release build of 10.8, the new VMware Fusion Technology Preview and Capser Suite 8.6 all before lunch today. Did you even eat lunch today? Have you moved, at all, from your chair?

Our list of AAMEE issues with OS X 10.8 is super short. In fact, it is just one item at present:

Issue: Package deployment on Mac OS Mountain Lion (OS X 10.8) fails for ARD packages (containing Adobe AIR payload) on client machines that have the user logged out.

Solution: While packaging, select Disable All Adobe AIR Installers, Including Adobe Help Manager on the AAMEE Configuration screen. When you select this option, the AIR payload is moved to the Exceptions folder.

Note: For ssh-based installations, regardless of the Mac OS version select the Disable All Adobe AIR Installers, Including Adobe Help Manager on the AAMEE Configuration screen.

Now AIR installers have been causing all kinds of havoc for Mac IT admins since AAMEE was just a little prerelease guy. As such, we finally decided that in the upcoming AAMEE 3.1 that by default we will have the AIR installers disabled. We probably should have done this earlier.

Speaking of AAMEE 3.1…where the heck is it? This time next week, if all the stars align you’ll be happily using the beta of 3.1. More to come soon!

And one last note regarding OS X 10.8, this KB “Digital Signature verification method for pre-Gatekeeper Adobe Installers” may be of an interest for those doing installs of pre-CS6 on 10.8 systems:

Jody Rodgers | Senior Product Manager | Enterprise + Volume | Digital Media | Adobe Systems

13 Responses to Mountain Lion and AAMEE

1. JC says:

Hello,

The solution outlined on this article did not do the trick for us. We are currently deploying CS6 for student images via DeployStudio.
    All this worked nicely pre-10.8.
    Now with 10.8, with CS6 as a postponed install, whether deployed as a trial, serialized, AIR or no AIR, systems get stuck at 38% of the installation indefinitely.
    Have you guys tested deploying an AAMEE created installer via DeployStudio to a 10.8 system? if so, any suggestions?

Cheers.

2. Lorin says:

Actually Howard Jones said “Don’t try *TO* live your life in one day.”

• Jody Rodgers says:

LOL. If we could only get this level of scrutiny and feedback about our documentation!

3. thomasC says:

Let us hope the stars align. Especially if AAMEE 3.1 brings back the ability to create update PKGs.

4. Since AAMEE produces bundle packages when making custom installers, I’m pretty sure that if you make one, then archive it, put it on a web server, and download it on another computer, it will get quarantined. So then on the computer where you’ve downloaded it you’ll have to right-click/open, or xattr -d -r com.apple.quarantine my_installer.pkg

5. Gary Barnett says:

OK, it’s almost September and my CS5 apps will not update. I do not have a clue what AIMEE Mann is and I’m unhappy. I have only PS and Bridge CS6 because I am so broke, but I want Illustrator CS5 to update and it won’t.

And I always hated Howard Jones after the first 15 minutes, so please, stop being flippant in a serious situation OK? I know it helps to write funny things to ease your tension, but the inverse is not at all the intended result. It’s not fun.

I’m not an IT GUY, I just make nice pictures. I don’t need workarounds, I need solutions that I do NOT have to think about.

Grumpy and broke in Tucson,
    Gary

• Jody Rodgers says:

Gary, this blog entry was focused on IT staff. I advise you to contact Adobe’s Support to assist on updating Illustrator.
      BTW, you got a laugh out of me for calling AAMEE, AIMEE Mann. I am going to use that in the future. Too bad for hating on Howard Jones, he had some interesting songs.

Jody Rodgers | Sr. Product Manager | Enterprise + Volume | Digital Media | Adobe Systems

6. Mik Ayre says:

I am having exactly the same problem as JC above, deployment is sticking at 38%. Do you know if this problem got sorted? I have followed your link above to the enterprise deployment community group but I cant find any mention of DeployStudio.

7. Having the same problem, deployment gets stuck at 38% (DeployStudio 1.0rc132, CS6 volume license package created with AAMEE 3.1, OS X 10.8.2, any hardware).
    BUT. If i force shut down the machine after about an hour of it just sitting there (could be less than an hour, but I just like to give it time), and then reboot it, it seems to finish the deployment on next boot. And the install seems legit afterwards.
    So… it’s likely something in the package scripts that makes it get stuck, and then it picks up where it left off.
    Since there are no detailed logs I can peruse, this is all the info i have. It would be nice to have some verbose logging as the package gets installed.

8. Robert Hammen says:

The 38% is typically the result of including Adobe AIR in the install package… not always, but sometimes…