New Thread

I noticed the comment section of the last thread was getting a bit long so I wanted to open a new thread to allow all interested parties to continue voicing their reasoned feedback.

As for the Linux Flash Player, all I have to say right now is that we are working diligently.

20 Responses to New Thread

1. James C says:

Please please please please don’t let this keep continuing to be another “Duke Nukem Forever”Flash 7 is 2 years old and still has the original bugs from release 1, out of sync A/V, OSS locks the sound card from any other audio program…. ugh.Can we get a screenshot or something? At least let us know what audio and graphics backends/libraries you guys have decided on; it’s been almost a year since Macromedia said they would release version 8 (and then 8.5, and then 9) for linux… surely you guys have decided which audio / video interface you’ll be using?

2. Paul Donnelly says:

Thanks for letting us know you’re alive and working. I’m with James; it would be great if you could let us know what you’re using for your audio and video (*fingers crossed for ALSA*). I’m on edge.

3. paul w says:

I wish you good luck in releasing this vesion. I am not sure how you get the idea that a linux version is not money making. Ok, Serve only windows platform, until they come after you like they did with other companies.

4. chris s says:

Although, I am NOT a fan of flash. The only time I use flash is when I have to. I find the out of sync a/v quite annoying and the fact that all other audio players must be closed in order to receive audio playback in flash. As long as these issues are fixed in the new version of Flash, I will be pleased.

5. Chris says:

I just think you guys could publish the specs in a nice format that devs can use to create their own players. That, or pay some of your devs to work on gnash.

6. DarkMageZ says:

if they don’t use alsa, i’d be extremely disappointed.tho, as a temporary dirty hack workaround to the oss issue in flash 7, use the alsa wrapper for oss applications, also seems to fix the video sync issues.

7. DeepBlueB says:

“tho, as a temporary dirty hack workaround to the oss issue in flash 7, use the alsa wrapper for oss applications, also seems to fix the video sync issues.”I’m getting random ff freezes on this solution. Normally when I close a tab on which some flash was outputting sound… It’s the only way to have a sane env though. :(I agree with Chris on opening the spec, instead of just letting out little announcements once in a while stating that a version for Linux will eventually be released. If you don’t/can’t get a player up and running, at least let someone else do it for the sake of accessibility to the Web from other OSs (Linux, and any other with interested in implementing a Flash player) than Windows or MacOSX .

8. Alex Dupre says:

Can we expect a native FreeBSD release?Our userbase need it and for you should be quite straightforward to make a FreeBSD build from linux sources.

9. NoƩ says:

Hey, please ! Make it Open source !This may permit to have Flash installed by default on Linux distros, it doesn’t cost nothing and it will give you a good image !

10. Peter Van Laer says:

I just hope adobe releases the linux version flashplayer 9 when they release the flex 2 framework. If not, the flex framework will not even be an option for many developers.

11. Sterling Christensen says:

People complaining that Flash takes over the soundcard: that’s not Flash Player’s fault! It’s a limitation of the old OSS sound system. Recent versions of the new ALSA sound system have software mixing for cards that don’t do hardware mixing. Just upgrade!I don’t think Flash Player should require a bulky multimedia framework. The only benefit from them I see is that they do software mixing for people who insist on using obsolete sound drivers/libraries.Anyway, Mike, thanks for posting again – I was getting worried after 3 weeks of no news.

12. Although I would prefer that you completely open source the player, I realize that may not be an option for you. So I would request that you at least create a plug-in interface for relevant parts (sound foremost). That would allow external projects to create support for audio-api-of-the-month.

13. kpax says:

to: Sterling Christensen”…Recent versions of the new ALSA sound system have software mixing for cards that don’t do hardware mixing. Just upgrade!…”It IS flash player’s fault!Flash7 is using OSS drivers to utput sound! If you compile ALSA without OSS compatibility – you won’t get any sound in flash at all. If you have OSS compatibility – in that case flash wil lock sound card as with native OSS drivers.currently the only way to output sound from flash through ALSA is to use ALSA wrapper which is notthe best solution.

14. James C says:

@kpaxExactly, the AOSS wrapper causes nothing but trouble for most people… I really hope they use ALSA natively or at least something that has interchangeable backends like gstreamer, phonon, sdl, openal….OSS is so ancient and deprecated and does not play well with anything else unless you are one of the lucky few that have a card with hardware mixing and compatible drivers.

15. Sterling Christensen says:

kpax: Then how come I’m listening to Strong Bad (www.homestarrunner.com) and an MP3 (from Audacious configured to output to ALSA) at the same time as I post this? It’s not locking my Creative Live (with hardware mixing).James C: Cards that lack hardware mixing are what dmix is for. Isn’t dmix built into ALSA now? I thought this wasn’t a problem anymore. See here:http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_ALSA_sound_mixer_aka_dmix#dmix_Configuration_for_OSS_Emulation

16. kpax says:

Sterling Christensen: OSS sound card locking problem doesn’t apply to you because you have sound card with hardware mixing. It doesn’t mean that problem does not exist and things can be left as they are. a lot of people using integrated audio with no hardware mixing are not able to do the same thing as you do.When application uses OSS, no matter native or via ALSA OSS emulation layer – it will lock no_harware_mixing_capable sound card. dmix will help you only if all applications will use ALSA. But because sound card is locked by OSS, ALSA is unable to output sound, so dmix will not help here.dmix Configuration for OSS Emulation will work only if you are running OSS application via wrapper – aoss (check the examples on the page you provided). And with wrapper – you may expect sound lag in flash and random browser crashes, and it is not permanent solution.Because OSS is deprecated it will be removed from linux kernel sooner ol later.

17. psz says:

AMD64 build ???! Will be?

18. n3ldan says:

Whenever I want to watch a flash video through firefox, if I’m lucky enough to have one that doesn’t require 8.5, I have to close FF, close all the other programs, open FF, hope I saved the URL somewhere, and then I get the audio. Most of the time I don’t even bother doing that.No 64 bit build is an extreme pain in the ass.

19. Mark Davis says:

My wish? That Linux flash had a low-resources or thin-client flag that would prevent animation but still allow menu choices/selections for browsing and still graphic substitutes.I doubt this would be a popular request, but it would be extremely helpful in our environment. As it is now, I have to disable ALL flash (and animated GIF’s too) because it would destroy the network of our thin clients.

20. flyinggo says:

YEAH, please ! Make it Open source !This may permit to have Flash installed by default on Linux distros, it doesn’t cost nothing and it will give you a good image !THANK YOU