Say What You Gotta Say

Some quick notes about the infrastructure around here:

• The blog system lives on an internal server and the static pages are periodically mirrored to the public-facing server. At least, that’s how it was explained to me. Blogging was a bit frustrating before I figured that out.
  • The comments are moderated. So far, I have not had occasion to delete a single comment, save for some duplicates. I would actually be happy to remove that configuration and let the readers chat amongst themselves. However, due to previously described mirroring system, the comments would not show up for 5-10 minutes after posting. This would invariably lead to a lot of double posting and general irritation.
  • Yeah, the Movable Type/MySQL comment system sometimes seems to go down or respond with errors. I have seen it happen occasionally when I post a comment. This may be the first blog where this problem is a real issue. It seems Penguin.SWF is the only blog hosted at blogs.adobe.com that receives an appreciable number of comments. I’m not sure why that is.

While we’re on the subject, why not check out some of the other Adobe blogs? I don’t think any of them talk about Linux much, but you may find interesting tidbits about other Adobe technology,

29 Responses to Say What You Gotta Say

1. Why such a complicated blog-system? (i mean a internal server and a public server and mirrors and…) I think that you could use a simple WP blog or something like that, it easier!! a lot easier!!You know, if i comment something i would like to see the comment, if i do “something” at my FTP, i would see the changes inmediatly, waiting 5-10min is old-fashioned. I think you should change this…

2. Sterling Christensen says:

I’ve been linking to this blog every chance I get in comments on digg articles. I haven’t slashdotted this blog yet because I haven’t seen an article where a link to here would be relevant enough.I’ve seen other people doing the same.I just want Adobe to see that many people care about this, and want you to have no shortage of feedback when you ask for it 😉

3. cem ozturk says:

We don want to hear about your blogs technical situation.. Whats the latest point of flashPlayer for linux?May be you need more than one blog/engineer to deal with with fplayer production for linux.

4. Eythian says:

cem ozturk: did you not read this: http://blogs.adobe.com/penguin.swf/2006/06/resources.htmlMike: keep all these updates coming, they’re great for giving us a feel that something is coming, even if it is expected to be the better part of 6 months away 🙂

5. cem ozturk says:

Eythian : have you ever read Poliana?Mike: Be serious pls. When you publish fplayer 9.0 for gnuLinux [2007..], we will cry for the further versions people using with macos,win…Web is an unique bazaar, and its not the way publishing flashplayers at different dates for different operation systems!.

6. Dustin Harriman says:

7. Stephen says:

Is it going to come packaged as a .deb or .rpm, or as a binary with a graphical installer? Just wondering… keep up the good work, and release it soon!=Stephen

8. Steph says:

OMG, people, just stop complaining. How many times can you post the same “What about Free BSD” and “Where is the 64 bit version” questions.. honstly, if you have nothing new or constructive to say, don’t bother posting, it’s already been said.As for the “don’t waste time on camera, hardware etc” posts, I think it’s a good move that Mike and the team are trying to make the linux player with ALL the features of the windows one. If they release one with missing features, it wouldn’t be long until people starting complaing that the linux version didn’t do everything the windows one does. This is a good way to ensure that future version can come out quicker, as they are doing all the ‘catch up’ work with this one.I can see in a years time everyone will be complaining if the Linux version does not do this or that and every website starts using it. Then we will get “why didn’t you implement x and y in the linux version when you released it…”.As for “watch Google video and play the most popular flash video games on digggames.com”, I’ve never wanted to watch a video on google, and never even heard of digggames, so you are making assumptions that everyone want to do exactly the same thing on the web as you do?As for a .deb file.. as I understand it, more distros (and not just Red Hat, OpenSUSE and Fedora) support RPMs. An installer like the binary one used by Google Earth might be the best move.. as this should work on almost every distro.Why not try posting things that might actually help the developers, instead of nagging like a bunch of children.

9. Limulus says:

“It seems Penguin.SWF is the only blog hosted at blogs.adobe.com that receives an appreciable number of comments. I’m not sure why that is.”Surely you meant to write “I’m not sure why that is :)” since Linux users are passionate about their OS and there are a lot of us ;)Dustin Harriman: Let’s not have a package-format war (well, not until after Flash 9 is released anyway 😉 Also, calling RPM-using distros “runner-up distros” is a sure recipe for a flame war; let’s just nip that in the bud ^^; )In Ubuntu the package flashplugin-nonfree automatically downloads the (Flash 7) bin file from Adobe and installs it, which works just fine. Plus there’s really not a huge point to packaging it up in different formats so long as Adobe has the anti-redistribution clause in the Flash EULA.

10. RQ says:

Packaging is the last, and, i guess, the easiest part of releasing the plugin. No matter if you use Ubuntu or RedHat or Gentoo, if you want Flash on it, and there will be Flash for linux, you’ll have it installed. Flamewars about packaging are really not the best thing to begin with.As for me, I’d suggest to distribute Flasplayer the way that Skype does that – a bunch of archive formats: three favors of RPM, a DEB, and two tar.bz2’s (static and dynamic). They even have their yum and apt repositories.Anyways, to package Flashplayer, you have to have Flashplayer ready first. ;)Keep us on the track, Mike! 🙂

11. Limulus says:

Steph wrote:”I think it’s a good move that Mike and the team are trying to make the linux player with ALL the features of the windows one. If they release one with missing features, it wouldn’t be long until people starting complaing that the linux version didn’t do everything the windows one does.”A bunch of us calling for some sort of release right now (myself included) aren’t looking for the final version with all the bells and whistles in place, but rather some sort of alpha to demonstrate (among other things) that Adobe isn’t going down the ‘Duke Nukem Forever’ path and to view Flash 8 content natively (e.g. not use the Windows version of Flash in the Windows version of Firefox with Wine). It should be a fairly trivial step to bundle everything up into a bin, say “this is a very rough alpha that might not work all that great and is missing some features, but enjoy!” and put a link from this blog (we’re *not* asking it to replace Flash 7 for Linux on the main download page).”I’ve never wanted to watch a video on google, and never even heard of digggames, so you are making assumptions that everyone want to do exactly the same thing on the web as you do?”It doesn’t matter what site exactly, but rather its the “Get Flash 8!” notices that are becoming increasingly common on websites when viewed by Linux users. Soon those will say “Get Flash 9!” and there’s not much we can do about it.Now, if we were Windows users we’d shrug and wait, but Linux users are used to having the ability (even if they don’t often use it) to compile and hack things and be much more engaged in the development process. Just sitting around waiting for a binary to appear is rather maddening 8-)”As for a .deb file.. as I understand it, more distros (and not just Red Hat, OpenSUSE and Fedora) support RPMs. An installer like the binary one used by Google Earth might be the best move.. as this should work on almost every distro.”Curiously, when Google released Picasa for Linux (http://picasa.google.com/linux/download.html) its as BIN, RPM or DEB. Also, technically, Ubuntu supports RPMs after first converting them into DEBs with the “alien” package. But like I said in my other post, its not really worth packing them up as anything other than a BIN if distros aren’t allowed to redistribute them.”Why not try posting things that might actually help the developers, instead of nagging like a bunch of children.”You mean like bug reports and other feedback? That can’t happen until there’s some sort of release first 😉

12. Hobbes says:

“It seems Penguin.SWF is the only blog hosted at blogs.adobe.com that receives an appreciable number of comments. I’m not sure why that is.”funny, because people only respond if there is something very good or they have complains. wondering witch one it is :p

13. “It seems Penguin.SWF is the only blog hosted at blogs.adobe.com that receives an appreciable number of comments. I’m not sure why that is.”Of course it is! That’s because you’re holding up something many of us view as essential.How can I do my job of converting all the infidels to a free OS if Adobe are holding me back?! ;)*cracks the whip* 🙂

14. TonyB says:

Loki Installer is an installer commonly used for many games for linux, as far as i know it supports gtk interfaces, ncurses and possibly other installation methods. Google Earth’s installer is loki installer, i believe, but modified to use gtk2 (and it also seemed to drop ncurses support 🙁 )

15. TonyB says:

P.S. Pisca for linux is wine wrapped up nicley, perhaps the deadliest thing since sliced bread.

16. Ygor Lemos says:

I think it’s really important to get a working version of Flash 9 for Linux out ASAP, and never mind the exotic hardware-related bells and whistles like getting a webcam working. 99% of the time the use of flash will not involve a webcam.I think what most people commonly want is the ability to watch Google video and play the most popular flash video games on digggames.com. Once those work, I think the product is good enough for a release!I also think that it should be packaged as a .deb file, being the native packaging format of Ubuntu (which is the most popular version of linux). Then later could come an .rpm package for those runner-up distros like OpenSuse and Fedora.Posted by: Dustin HarrimanMan, you’re so terribly WRONG!!!First of all, Ubuntu is NOT the most popular version of Linux.Second, the Player should NOT be trapped to distro x or y, it MUST work on every distro off hte shelf, there are plenty of ways to do that, with binary installers and etc… If they want to port this to packaging systems like .deb (which belongs to Debian, and all Debian based distros), rpm (which comes from Red Hat and is the LSB Standard unfortunatelly), Gentoo Ebuilds, etc.. they could do it before releasing a stable executable ELF for all Linux Platforms.About hardware supporting, 64 bits architectures and SMP (multiple processors) are NOT exotic hardware, also features like Webcams must be supported and the plugin must be stable as Windows, lets not do the same crap that Microsoft does with CSS and display one thing for Plugin 1 and other for Plugin 2, it must be consistent, render and act the same doesn’t matter the platform. If not, it must be considered beta stage and never should be trusted for development. If they release something, release a good think or develop more…So, If you use Ubuntu which is a begginer distro, and by your comment we notice that, do not try to accelerate the process in benefit of one or another, this should benefit the whole community.Notice, that many users doesn’t just want to do USER things like watch movies on GVideo or Youtube, or do things like play games etc… There are business webapplications and entire sites written in Flash 8, using various flash resources and even Data resources that should be supported by this plugin, so as I said before, it should behaviour for all Linux Distros on all Architectures the same way that it behaviour on the currently suported Operational Systems.Also, Mike, please notice that in some distros, specially on those Debian based, we have serious problems with fonts, so consider packing some ruindows fonts with the plugin just for the player, it will have many users that doesn’t want to install or even don’t know how to do it the packages containing MS Fonts like msttcore fonts, so for the regular users it really must be a point and click thing.Thanks.YAdvanced Linux Datacenter Ops ManagerGTech

17. Chris says:

Can you hurry up the port a bit. A lot of people are really sick of waiting.Thanks.

18. TonyB says:

Dont rush them, i’ve developed programs that need to be kept unreleased until they are done, and once you see if from the developers point of view, you can never really say “Hurry Up” again, give it time, unless you want somthing of poor quality?

19. FantoMelt says:

glad to see someone is keeping us posted, and doing a good job.Can’t wait for all the benefits of 9 on the best OS out there.Take your time (but I can’t wait).

20. John Hunt says:

I think cem ozturk (and probably several others) hit the nail on the head. I respect that all this work is being done, however, all 99% of linux users want is simply flash player 7 with proper sound. If you have any influence, or can do anything about this, please do. It’s incredibly frustrating watching youtube/google video that is out of sync. I’d gladly give you £10 if you fixed it, as I’m sure a lot of other people would. And yes, I’m sure very few people are worried about webcam support!I hope that wasn’t too ranty, I love that someone’s at least doing something!!!

21. Bucktheiguana says:

I maintain a Windows box (unfortunately) and it just got the Flash 9 upgrade this past weekend. I REALLY, REALLY think you should have the Linux version available for us (and, yes, a 64-bit version as well). I believe it was discussed that v.9 was going to be released for all major platforms. Now you’re talking about the end of the year or early 2007 for the Linux version?If you can’t/won’t release this in a timely manner, then the OSS community should step up and give us a player capable of displaying web sites using Flash.

22. Andres says:

however, all 99% of linux users want is simply flash player 7 with proper sound.By now that’s not the case anymore. Some sites NEED Flash 8 to display their content.If you can’t/won’t release this in a timely manner, then the OSS community should step up and give us a player capable of displaying web sites using Flash.There is a project called gnash (google for it) but I doubt they would actually come up with something completely usable because Flash’s source is closed.

23. Stephen says:

“If you can’t/won’t release this in a timely manner, then the OSS community should step up and give us a player capable of displaying web sites using Flash.”Gnash is trying to that, but it is understandably difficult, as Flash is a closed and very complicated format.

24. Crispibits says:

“If you use Ubuntu which is a begginer (sic) distro”Ooh, Ygor Lemos, I bet you only use your own hand-crafted kernels, and Linux From Scratch built machines, as anything else is for beginners… :-)I use Ubuntu, having been through RHL, Suse, Mandrake, Fedora Slackware etc over the last 8 years. I use it because it works, please don’t generalise based a user’s distro. As far as the fonts are concerned, I would have thought that redistributing fonts would hit all sorts of licencing issues. Mike, I don’t suppose the Flash player, seeing as it comes out of Adobe could use Adobe fonts, so getting round this? Just a thought.

25. Fernando GNR says:

Feel free the way you will make the Flash Player 9 for linux avaible.I think Firefox will automactly donwload in most of distros, this kills 99% of problems.Todays download method for Flash Player is good enough. Make it better if you can. 🙂

26. TonyB says:

I compiled a copy of gnash a while ago, it wasn’t very good, which is completely understandable, seeing the complexities of flash, and flash being closed source.P.S. Ubuntu is commonly generalized as a begginner distro because of its GUI-Centric, simplistic nature.

27. robT says:

due to level of non-community involvement, adobe will always have their closed source software 2 years behind what’s current.I understand the corporate bureaucracy well… Mike at least you should have some sort of goal, like support for redhat EL4, suse 10, ubuntu/debian version x. And that’s it. Getting a general package for all linuxes is too much of a moving target. I love gentoo, I run twelve gentoo servers (and 5 debian!) at my office! But for a product like the flash player, you really have to get a level of system integration down for everything to work smoothly!You should be contacting the developers of these distributions, and cooperate on getting the next flash player well tested and integrated. Stop waiting around for gentoo to do a emerge -e world and at least give redhat a phonecall!!!

28. los says:

Adobe is totally lame for not knowing how to program for a multiplatform release. If they had a higher quality of programmers and development process, both releases could have been done simultaneously. For not much more money or time. Now they have to redo everything “from scratch” for the Linux OS. Adobe, make a plan for multiplatform from the start, not as an afterthought.

29. Bruno says:

As of today, Youtube is unusable on my computer because of the lame Macromedia plugin.It is about time you release a new plugin. This shows why closed formats suck, because they lock people to software and show how lame companies are for at least not making their software for all platforms. Open the spec or release a plugin!