Across The Distros

Things are going swimmingly right now. As in, I can play multiple Flash videos in multiple Firefox browser tabs with nary a crash nor a thread hang. In fact, I’m feeling so confident about the stability that I’m actually composing this entry while a YouTube music video plays in another tab. Nervously, but still.

I am thinking about the next level– creating a single binary that can work reliably across multiple Linux distributions. I know this may sound simple, but there are problems that can crop up, which we have been dealing with one by one. This afternoon, I created a build and tried it across several Linux installations we have handy around the office. Here is the success report:

• Gentoo- naturally, since that’s the build machine
  • Ubuntu
  • Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4
  • SuSE Linux 10.1

I won’t bother you with the details of which distros did not work in this impromptu test for fear of starting rumors that we don’t plan to support those distros. The task now is to make those distros work just as well.

Quick update: I should probably state that I am also not making any statement here about which distributions Flash Player 9 for Linux will officially support.

128 Responses to Across The Distros

1. Steph says:

OMG… so you are only going to support those 4 distros?? How can you do that…. this is terrible.heheheee.

2. divan says:

Why don’t you share some part of development process with world community. We would help you in a lot of specific questions with love.I’m sure, many people read this blog and can contribute with some advices or ideas – if you provide us questions and current problems.Do not neglect community power ;-)Make development process at least half-open-sourced. It will speed up things.

3. Aslvrstn says:

You certainly don’t hear it enough, so thanks again for all your work. Oh, and also for using my distro. for dev. work ;-).

4. =DC= says:

“I’m ready! I’m ready! I’m ready!” – SpongeBob

5. Ethan Lofton says:

Excellent, I’m glad to see some stability progress. Interesting idea to go with one single self-contained binary. What I would ideally love to see is the open-sourcing of the flash player, but I suppose that isn’t happening… yet. πŸ˜‰

6. Anders Aagaard says:

Very nice to get a positive progress report :DHow are you planning on dealing with beta testing on a larger scale? When it starts getting difficult to find flash movies that crash that is.

7. toolman says:

Keep the posts up; I’m interested in hearing how its going.Also; my hand is up should you need any external alpha/beta testing.

8. Jay says:

It’d be useful to hear what kinds of problems you’ve run across with multiple distributions that have cropped up and how you have solved them, as well as other problems that exist.

9. Joshua K says:

Any chance those of us that want to be on the bleeding edge can download this wonder of engineering? πŸ™‚ I run Ubuntu (two machines), and would love to test it further.

10. Amos Shapira says:

How about asking the community to send you links to test?For instance, the Flash movies from the following site displays only the controls and the moving “position” marker but not the movie itself (and no audio either):http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/index/0,,5004020,00.htmlThis is on Debian Etch with Firefox 1.5.0.4 with Flash Player 7 on a dual-core Pentium 4.And another request – a Debian package (or instractions on how to convert another package format to Debian) would be very much appreciated. Since you already plan to do Ubuntu then maybe it won’t be so hard to supply a debian version?Thanks.

11. Owen says:

Yeah, just plaster ‘ALPHA’ all over the thing and release something ASAP.You’re obviously aware of the massive community support behind this release of Flash Player, and feedback from users can only benefit the final product.So, why not? πŸ™‚

12. desdemona says:

Will it also work with non-gtk/gecko browsers? Like e.g. Opera or Konqueror?

13. Nar says:

“several Linux installations we have handy around the office”Only the 32-bit, X86 parts of those distros, I assume?No love for 64bit or PPC installations of Gentoo? Would it kill you guys to use crosstool and LSB?

14. Nar says:

*well, assuming you had a working 64-bit version at all, after 3 years of knowing that CPUs were heading that way and all

15. Chris Lees says:

Congratulations on developing a fairly stable Flash player. I’m nervous about doing something mission-critical on one tab while any Flash 7 movie plays in another tab, so I think having this happen flawlessly with a beta player is a great achievement.Tell your boss that having community testers is a Very Good Idea because we are experienced in filing bug reports πŸ™‚ Wait, I didn’t mean that the way it sounded…

16. Klowner says:

Single binary? If I don’t get an AMD64 binary or even the opportunity to compile the code for whatever arch that I desire, expect no love from me… Besides that, good job. The only thing more annoying than seeing “Sorry! This Requires Flash 8!”, is having to fire up 32bit firefox just to view flash.

17. amd-linux says:

Mike,may I suggest that you consider to develop the plugin LSB / Portland compliant?Why making your life more difficult than necessary? Developing for 50+x distros should be an issue of the past.Here are the links:http://www.freestandards.org/spec/http://portland.freedesktop.org/wiki/

18. Hay, wow – glad to see things are going well.Re: 64-bit, I’m fairly sure it has been said in the past that Adobe wont be doing a 64-bit release, which only sucks a little while its possible to run 32/64 apps side-by-side.Things will, as Nar says, have to change in time though, but atm I’ll just settle for *anything* (alpha, beta, release πŸ™‚ ) that means I can uninstall WINE πŸ™‚

19. inventedeye says:

You need to release this as open source. Clinging to the source code will not benefit Adobe in the long term. If this project was open source, the player could have been rock-solid and released months ago (for reasons which you must already know by now). Instead, you seem to be wasting many hours of time and effort in attempting to solve issues to which the open source community already has the answers. Look how far Gnash has come!An open source Flash player has compelling commercial benefits, too. The more widespread the adoption of Flash, the more licences for Flash development kits Adobe can sell. Real Networks are seeing similar benefits by investing equal resources in their Linux and Windows players. Although their player is not open source, they are fully engaging with the open souce community (with the Helix project). This ensures that regardless of which OS you use, you can always get the latest player to view any RealMedia content. Releasing the Flash player as open source will rapidly decrease the player’s time-to-market, meaning that Adobe can synchronize releases across operating systems. This, in turn, will increase user and developer confidence in Flash and will drive purchases of Flash development licences. Choice of operating system is currently a barrier to viewing Flash websites, and that’s a Bad Thing. As Sir Tim Berners-Lee will tell you, the Internet is not (and should never be) OS-dependent.

20. jbus says:

Well this sounds like some good progress. Thanks for keeping us updated.I know many people have said this, but I’m going to repeat it. Please release an alpha for public testing ASAP. We can help you test it. It’s not like we aren’t used to running buggy Flash software. πŸ˜‰

21. You should seriously look into AutoPackage if you want the best multi-distro binary solution. :)http://www.autopackage.org

22. Oto says:

Can someone tell me if I’ll be able to use Flex 2 IDE on linux with Flash player 9 for Linux? Since the IDE based on Eclipse whitch is portable?Good work all you there!!!

23. Jeremiah says:

When can we expect to see a beta (or alpha?) for us Linux users to test out?

24. Ygor Lemos says:

crosscompiling in 64 bits would be cool!!!! How are flash plugin behaving on DUAL CORE architectures like Core Duo from Intel????Any chances of 64 bit secondary binary????

25. Victor Trac says:

I’m glad to hear this is making progress, and I’m glad to see Gentoo being on the top of the list. It’s really about time Adobe gives us some linux love..

26. Anonymous says:

Thank you for the hard work you’ve put into this. Us Linux guys were really feeling left out in the cold. Looking forward to flash 9 with anticipation! πŸ™‚

27. AdriΓ‘n says:

Flash PPC Linux version please!

28. Paul says:

Will this release include support for linux on amd 64 processors? We’ve been waiting quite a while for that!

29. morphie says:

Sounds to me that it’s time for a public alpha release. πŸ™‚

30. Gimli says:

Very, very good!!

31. Ben Goodger says:

I hope you’ve got ALSA sorted this time. It really irritates me when audio doesn’t work arbitrarily.Thank you!!

32. 1c3d0g says:

Excellent news. As long as there’s Arch Linux support somewhere in there…great. πŸ˜‰

33. Trip Ericson says:

This is excellent news! I’d love to see something–anything–Flash 9 soon! Even an unstable alpha or beta for testing would make me happy. I have FlashBlock, so I only watch the Flash animations I actually want to see in the first place. So an unstable alpha release would be the same as my current experience (I’m always prepared for Firefox to crash when using Java/Flash, not that it’s frequent), except with sound and without a bunch of websites whining about how I have to upgrade just to use their damn navigation system. (There are some excellent uses for Flash. Navigation systems on websites are not one of them.)I’m on Fedora Core 5, so I imagine your testing on RHEL is a good sign for me!

34. This is GREAT news! I’m so tired of going to sites and being told “you need flash 8 or higher.” Is there any chance you will be putting out any type of pre-release (beta or even alpha quality) for those of us who are excited for it?

35. dave says:

I’m excited that it’s working for Gentoo. However, we haven’t heard any news recently about x86_64 recently. Any progress or updates on this? I willl still be left behind if there is no 64bit build πŸ™

36. brian says:

hi is there going to be bsd support comming?

37. Anonymous says:

Thank-you!ActionScript3 is working?!?Looking forward to running Flash/Flex business applications on Linux.(Then we can begin ditching Windows!)

38. David says:

Release a beta, please!

39. atrus123 says:

Best news I’ve heard all day. And my main distros are Gentoo, Ubuntu, and SLED, so I’m good to go. Can’t wait for the beta.

40. kelyar says:

that’s cool dude but how about bsd? )

41. Keep up the great work and thank you / adobe for understanding Linux is an important market. Flash would evolve more quickly as open source, but I don’t blame adobe for holding onto it.Thanks again for what you do.

42. Bill says:

Hey how about flash for PPC Linux? Thanks,

43. jon says:

hey man, keep up the good work!

44. Digitalfox says:

Though I am not an owner of a 64 bit processor (and I envy those who are,) I think it would be short-sighted to build a strictly 32 bit version of Flash player. At the bare minimum, support 32 bit x86 and AMD64. IA64 would be a plus, but I don’t believe IA64 is that common in desktop chips (someone correct me if I’m wrong.) PowerPC support, while I know many will clamor for it, should probably be ranked low priority, as no major vendor sells PowerPC chips anymore, and the only users that would be benefitting are owners of older Apple hardware that run Linux (a minority within a minority.) Ideally, though, you should try crosscompiling it for as many architectures as possible, and see what breaks, and if it is viable to fix it, do so.

45. How about a FreeBSD native binary? Would be nice to have Flash 9 work on systems outside of Linux as well.(The FreeBSD base system for each version 6.x stays the same across each install, so making one version does not mean testing on a multitude of distributions, and what works for FreeBSD will also work for PC-BSD)

46. Mike says:

Ooooo, ALSA support? please say it has ALSA/Dmix support!

47. James Jones says:

Good news indeed. I dare say you could find a lot of willing testers… eh, eh, nudge nudge?

48. jrr says:

I love to see that somebody at adobe is working on linux ports of the player. That’s awesome.I can understand not open-sourcing some of your company’s bread-and-butter IP.Because you don’t, though, it is important that you be a good citizen and attempt support for the diversity of platforms that open source would support. Testing across multiple distrubutions is the first step.The next step is architectures.The bottom line: could you please, for the love of god, compile binaries for PPC and AMD64?please!

49. Anonymous says:

When can we expect a public beta?

50. OneSeventeen says:

Looking good! I can’t wait to see the results!Now, if a Flash Development Studio was released for linux I’d have a reason to use it on websites I develop. =D

51. ClÑudio Esperança says:

Congratulations…I’am working with actionscript 3 now and it is amazing…

52. Steph says:

I think the request for an Alpha / Beta (be it buggy or not) has been made so many times, it’s starting to get really boring.As is the open-source argument, and the 64 bit one.Mike, maybe you can get someone else at Adobe (since you are busy getting our flash to work) to moderate and prevent the same damn message from appearing over and over and over and over again.It’s sad.. half the people on here act like little kids:”are we there yet.. are we there yet.. are we there yet.. are we there yet”For all those people who have not figured out how to read the other comments on this blog (including those in previous posts) I will summarize for you:It IS NOT going be open source anytime soon. This has been discussed.There WILL NOT be a 64bit version for some time yet.. the reasons for this have also been discussed.There are HUNDREDS of posts asking for an alpha release.. Each one exalting the virtues of an experienced community who can submit bug reports… I think Mike got the message.Do people really thing that nagging is going to help the development of flash?

53. Will says:

Glad to hear some big progress is finally being made with Flash on Linux πŸ™‚

54. Tom says:

Have you considered using Auto Package to build an installer that will work across various distributions?

55. Robert McGinley says:

Any word on x86_64 binaries?

56. GameGod says:

Isn’t this what the LSB spec is for? (ie. to let you build binary apps that’ll run reliably across systems?)http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_standard_baseEither way, keep up the good work! :)(Note to self: Development blogs are good for community PR) πŸ™‚

57. Anonymous coward says:

Well, I’m currently using Flash Player 9 and Shockwave under Linux (i386 and amd64 – two machines) both in firefox and konqueror. No sound delays, and the webcam _doesn’t_work_ (what I think is an _improvement_, so nobody can take a shot from my ugly face without me knowing). The miracle? Codeweaver’s crossover Office 5.0.1.Well, maybe we’ll see flash on ppc when codeweavers put a machine code translator or when (and if) GNU’s gnash reaches an useable level of maturity (maybe Adobe’s Flash will be at version 115.0.234 when that time comes).It would be easier if Adobe’s flash is released as an open soure / free software, or at least when Adobe frees the specs (like it already did with PDF).Dreaming is free (as in beer). πŸ˜‰

58. Otto Rey says:

Yeah! Adobe need to grow up and open source flash player to the community.

59. Motarion says:

60. WM says:

I’m using AMD64, with 64-bit Firefox. Any progress on that front?

61. Sean Bryant says:

You guys ever going to support any of the BSD distros? It’d be great if you did and shouldn’t really be that hard.

62. ray says:

I kiss you.

63. John says:

Dare I ask for a amd 64bit version?

64. SleighBoy says:

x86_64 … Please!

65. Tom says:

My desktop is amd64 ubuntu. Flash works but doesn’t play well with sound. It would be a blessing if Flash used esd.

66. Sergio says:

something simpleit’s possible to make open sourcethe source code of flash plugin ?orbecause do not release to a beta version of the binary?

67. thothonegan says:

For the people mentioning autopackage, Gentoo is very against it : see http://tinyurl.com/n9jhf

68. Likewise — I’m on Fedora Core 5 right now, and Player 7 is driving me nuts! As soon as I upgraded to FC5, now any text that is pulled into a Flash externally won’t show up in a flash movie. So, naturally, that means I can’t buy anything from the Adobe (Macromedia) store! Let’s have the new player!

69. TTimo says:

“For the people mentioning autopackage, Gentoo is very against it”Sad thing is, Gentoo is also one of the worst distro when it comes to ABI compatibilities with other distros.I don’t like the autopackage distribution stuff, but the dependency resolver/dynamic loading thing may be handy.I build binaries on a Debian Sarge, with latest stable binutils+gcc compiled from source. That has been working fine for a number of years now.

70. Mark Hillis says:

First off.. Great work!I’m currently posting this from my Gentoo laptop = ) which makes me excited thats the platform you’ve been developing on.Secondly I know this is probably premature.. but any chance of a shockwave plugin down the road?keep up the great work!!

71. Evil Genious says:

Excellent…. mu ha ha ha ha….

72. rj says:

I can understand the desire of Adobe to not open source Flash, but there ARE ways to allow the community to port the thing to other distros/BSD/64 bit, etc. without open sourcing it.

73. Pete says:

This is great, i have waited for updated flash for along time πŸ™‚ thanks

74. nal says:

keep up the good work. i can’t wait to stop using Mozilla/Flash 9 under Wine.

75. Will says:

What about AMD64 support?

76. Jim says:

Will flash 9 have better support for fonts and text than flash 7 for linux. most things play for me but text never shows up. I was wondering if this was worked on in flash 9 or is it going to be the same story?

77. penguin says:

Dear Lord,I’ve been waiting for a new version of Flash for Linux for a long time now, will you please tell Adobe to raise the guy’s salary that’s working on it? Thanks.Amen

78. Hollis Blanchard says:

What are your thoughts about PowerPC Linux support? Technically I’d expect it wouldn’t be very challenging, and since Linux x86 isn’t officially supported, Linux PowerPC wouldn’t have to be either…

79. William Hood says:

PLEASE do a PPC Ubuntu build (for those of us who tried a Mac, didn’t like it, and went back to Linux)

80. synacktion says:

Totally awesome, you have no idea how appreciated your work is in this area. Is there perhaps a 64 bit port in the works as well?

81. rivviepop says:

Roll a tarball. release an alpha. really, we’re smart people who want to help you! Embrace the community and they’ll embrace you back.Release early and release often — we don’t mind broken alpahas and betas, it’s how life is in our world.We do not expect you to release nothing then come out with a perfect 1.0 release, that’s unreasonable. Follow in the footsteps of all the other projects that have come before you!

82. Juan Pablo Santos says:

Please, make the text work, most flash animation cant be seen correctly due to text issues. Maybe changing the default windows fonts to defacult linux fonts by the player itself?

83. macewan says:

nice work:)

84. WC says:

This is great news.How about 64bit versions? Right now there are none. Not even Flash 7.

85. Tushar says:

That sounds great. You may want to look into a tool called Autopackage to create a package for all distros. Here is a snippet from their FAQ:

86. morgajel says:

(Not sure if this has been mentioned since 100 posts have popped up since I started typing this)Have you considered abstracting that part out so the distros can take care of it? Not opensourcing the entire blob per se (this IS adobe after all), but leaving enough of the end unravelled that the distro flash maintainers can take care of this issue for you?Might be a viable alternative.

87. Hello, it’s very nice to see that this flash player is being actively developed by competent people. I am greatly looking forward to its release. One question, however, I do have. Will Flash Player 9 support ALSA sound playback? My flash player, I believe it’s version 7, will fail if the audio device is in use, even if it’s just a recording program (as I run a webcast, that’s a bit problematic…). Thanks in advance.

88. Gummo says:

HelloPlease support FC4 and/or BSD!

89. Mivici says:

So, can we expect a Beta release anytime soon?

90. Segin says:

So… does this mean that they’ll be an ebuild for Portage as part of the offical release? (yes I know it’d be a binary install, but still…)

91. Chris says:

I don’t get why people keep saying over and over again “Open the player’s source and it will be done faster”. If notice wasn’t taken the first time, what makes you think notice will be taken ever again? I also love how people are demanding a 64bit version saying “I don’t want to have to load a 32bit version of FF to watch a flash movie”. The speed increase is so minute, especially when your major bottle neck is your net connection.Its a mystery that this comment system exists at all with all the talking down going on. It’s almost like some people think that the developers are legally binded to make this thing.

92. Sam says:

Just… RELEASE …for those 4 platforms as soon as you can and let the distro maintainers themselves let you know what’s left to do.You need to make proper use of your project’s high profile status, and realizing that a lot of people are willing to do free work for you (just to get good audio sync!) on this would be a really good first step.

93. wj says:

=)open-sourcing it would greatly speed things up, given that this project is being given so much attention.

94. Matt Philmon says:

Spoken very carefully there… like someone that’s been burned b4.;)I am SO looking forward to using the results of all your efforts man. Keep up the good work.

95. tstclaserjock says:

I hope it really happens that flash will soon work in Linux, as many distros as possible, and that we might have the option of actually compiling it for a given distro.But the biggest thing I am conerened with: PLEASE give us good 64 bit Linux support.

96. Anonymous says:

Uhn, this is probably a dumb question, but have you tested the new flash version in sites that actually *use* Flash 9? ‘Cause As far as I know, Youtube works fine with Flash 7…Sorry for the basic question, it’s just something that was not clear in the post…Anyways, keep up the good work!

97. Gravis says:

I’m not entirely sure if stability is a high priority on the list but it’s good to hear it isn’t really unstable at this point. Ubuntu and Debian are distributed the same (.deb packages) so I think you can add that to the list. Please keep us informed of the progress… and if you need alpha/beta testers, we’re here.   πŸ˜€

98. wahy dont you relese some beta DEB/rpm files?

99. Niomi says:

This is great news– thank you for your hard work. πŸ˜€

100. alpha-please says:

Please release an alpha version as soon as possible

101. will have it support for 64bits?Thanks you.

102. medeshago says:

wow, thanks. been waiting for a while.

103. Juan Diego says:

Nice work…i hope to see and ebuild very soon…cheers

104. Matt Lee says:

Seriously, what would Adobe have to lose by making the GNU/Linux version of Flash Player free software under the GNU GPL?They’d be protected from people producing proprietary versions, as as long as Flash is a trademark, they can maintain control of ‘Flash Player’ as a term, but instead allow people like myself to benefit from having the Flash Player installed.GNU Gnash is up and coming, of course, but will always remain behind the official player. I can’t see what’s to lose.FYI. I’m running Debian on PowerPC.

105. Trevis says:

I love you.

106. Yarick says:

Man, I didn’t realized how many children are in the net these days…Impatient naughties, waiting for their Xmas gifts, begging, saying “You need..You must…”, the only thing missing is stomping on the ground and crying loud “I waaaant”. Man, release it when it’s ready, do what your team plans and don’t let community screams disturb your workflow

107. Lphant says:

Thanks for developing Flash Player 9!I would like to heva FP9 in Kubuntu Edgy 6.10.Bye!

108. xsober says:

Higreat job man!!some questions…it’s works with opera??it’s mask on gentoo?? how can i install?well,bye

109. Nick Collins says:

Honestly, why would you want to open source the Flash Player? The whole idea of it is you can create once and deploy and it will run the same in the player, regardless of the platform. Good luck maintaining that kind of consistency with an OS project. All we’d see is lots of custom versions of the Flash player that don’t necessarily play nice with one another, and the advantage of using it is lost. Just my 2p

110. Flash PPC Linux version please!I’ll be ready to send you some really good bottleS of belgium beer (or any other kind you like πŸ™‚ in order to help you achieve that…If you do not have access to ppc linux (which I really doubt) I will be ready to offer help if I can : I run my AlBook under Debian, and before it was my TiBook, so it’s almost 4 years without flash on my box πŸ™

111. Chris Lees says:

Please consider, then discard, the idea of using Autopackage for the Flash player.Many users, especially those on non-RPM systems, have heard horror stories about Autopackage overwriting important files.What I’d really like to see is the same thing that Skype does – a .deb, an .rpm, a dynamic and a static binary (the latter isn’t that important really).

112. Bryan Haskins says:

Ehhh… My fellow Open Source Penguin card carrying human… type thing… That one sizzled out on me… Ah well The way things are going, and don’t get me wrong here I love that some Devs really push for all of us hugging the ‘guin. They’ll have to either hire some more dedicated Linux Coding staff or shoo off the armed guards and release some source for help… Personally I think they’d do well taking the firefox route… having a large site to report bugs and submit patches… along with a mailing list etc… of course this takes staff in itself but they wouldn’t have to be master coders by any means just be able to pass along good patches to those who are.. Of course I’m just throwing this thought out the door with a push…

113. Patrick McNeil says:

Dude, insert link !I’m on ubuntu… send something I can test πŸ˜‰

114. Andy Potter says:

This is very good news.Is it possible that you would co-operate with Mozilla so that Flash Player can be automatically installed through Firefox.Just like on Windows?

115. Eric Olson says:

you are my hero! its good to see gentoo at the top of your list :). i always wondered why flash player wasn’t kept up to date on linux …and occasionally give an “awwww man”, when trying to view a flash enabled page and recieve the infamous error “You must have Flash Player 9 to view this site”

116. Ron says:

Thanks for testing on multiple distros.I hope you are are writing it 64-bit clean and that it will also run on PPC.Keep up the good work, and hope to see a Beta release soon!

117. Gene Webster says:

I don’t understand why it’s supposed to be so difficult to make it work on most distros out there…Why not compile Debs and/or RPMs under the LSB (Linux Standard Base)?I use Xandros 4.0, a Debian based distro that is both LSB compliant, DCCA compliant.If you develop for the LSB, it will run on most newer RedHat, SUSE, Mandrake, Debian, etc. Distros.This is a grand opportunity to take advantage of the purpose behind the LSB.

118. Sal Argiro says:

As a Kubuntu 6.10 and Debian Etch beta user I would simply like to express my appreciation for the work being done by everyone involved in this project. So, thank you and I look forward to the next release.

119. Aswarp says:

Please, PLEASE make sure this Flash-based video player thing you are working on is made available for the Opera browser over the Maemo Mistral version of the Debian distribution for the Linux OS that runs on the Nokia 770 device. Phew! quite a long english sentence for a spaniard :)We really need this.For further info on what I’m referring to, check (Google for) maemo.org, maemo_users, nokia website, opera website.

120. chris says:

I’d rather websites stop using Flash, but that is just a dream and us Linux users who like youtube and other sites that use Flash are in a nightmare until a reliable Linux Flash player is released.

121. Philip Speers says:

Thank you for the great deeds you are doing for the linux community!

122. WrongWay says:

Great maybe we can start using flash 9 on linux right as flash 10 starts to get used around the world. Do the linux flash developers get jerked around by adobe as much as their users.???We were assured of simultanious releases. but that changed. I wonder how much adobe is collecting from MS by keeping linux users locked out of the latest flash releases.

123. Is it possible to get that build that works in Ubuntu? I work at a secondary school in Colmenar Viejo (Spain, http://iesrosachacel.com), we are moving to Ubuntu and the flash player is our main problem…We’ll happily act as testers of such beta version.Anyway, thank you for your work.

124. Joe Newmeyer says:

my main box runs Fedora Core 5, soon to be FC6. will the redhat binary work with FC? also, will the FP9 production team speed up the rendering. it is slow on my girlfriends ubuntu laptop

125. Mangateles says:

I’m a FreeBSD user. I love Flash Player in my Web Browser. Why?

126. Joe Newmeyer says:

thats really wierd. someone is posting here with MY name. hey joe newmeyer, if you see this shoot me an email.in other news. flash player 9 is a huge success so far. i do say that it runs slow on ubuntu pentium 2 style.