More Free Stuff

The Flash Player 9 (beta) [for x86] is not the only Linux-related Flash thing that Adobe is giving away. Check out Flex 2 for Linux, also on Adobe Labs. Using the new Player 9 beta, you can watch James Ward’s brief video that demonstrates how to create, compile, and test a Flex app entirely using free Linux-based tools.

Sky’s the limit. Go forth and spread SWF.

13 Responses to More Free Stuff

1. Sudrien says:

Is the the same java-based SDK that’s been out for a while? I’ve had that in /opt/ for a while (two months?).Not the fastest compiler ever, but no glibc issues either ^_^-Sud.

2. David R says:

This page was just created for people interested in developing in flash on linux. You have several options for compilers nowadays:http://osflash.org/linux

3. Cláudio Pinheiro says:

Hmmmmm… Nice./me just waiting for the whole Adobe product line to be ported to Linux. If you need to hire a Linux developer to help with it, don’t hesitate about contacting me! 😉

4. RQ says:

That brief video freezes my Firefox on Ubuntu Edgy Eft… 😐

5. Anonymous says:

If anyone has trouble downloading (for me, it was in FF 1.5.0.7 – the dl never initialized), try logging out of your Adobe account and logging back in.Chris

6. EnviroTO says:

I’ve been developing Macromedia apps on a Linux desktop for years… using an old copy of Dreamweaver MX that works under Wine, JRun4 running natively on Linux, and CFMX7 running inside JRun4 but tweaked so that it works on Java 1.5 and had a proper JDBC driver for MySQL 5. I would buy a subscription to the studio products if they were available for Linux but for now I am stuck with the old DevNet licences for older versions of products.

7. n3ldan says:

Gah, Flex is one of the worst things ever. “Hey, I’m not good enough to write Javascript, let’s write it in a slow bloated proprietary language! That’ll show ’em!”The fact that anyone would choose to use flash for anything but animations or media(audio/video) is appalling.

8. Mark says:

@n3ldan:You do realize that ActionScript 2&3 are based on newer revisions of ECMA262, which was formed after JavaScript, right?If you don’t like it, have a look at haXe.org — much better, IMHO.And as far as performance is concerned, that’s why FP9 is so important, the new, JIT compiling VM is much, much faster than the old one, if you compile for it.

9. James Ward says:

n3ldan, Flash Player 9 now has a JIT compiler making it significantly faster than JavaScript. And it works the same on every browser and OS. And the native language for Flex is ECMAScript 262 r4 (what will also be JavaScript 2.) Best of all both Flash Player and Flex 2 are free. How does that not make Flash Player a great choice for an application platform?

10. Rob H. says:

@n3ldan:Perhaps you don’t fully know what Flash is capable of-I am a programmer (employee) of the military and I use Flash to connect to a SOAP-based web service. Flash isn’t a solution for everything, but it can certainly be used for more than basic multimedia stuff.

11. Simon says:

James Ward: Flash player is NOT free. Not even free of cost, unless you’re on a desktop, laptop, or Windows tablet. This discriminates against OEMs that want to put flash on some kind of not-a-Windows-tablet-PC mobile device. I would asssume that the exclusions in the license are there so that they can charge such OEMs for flash’s inclusion on these devices.

12. Russell East says:

Just trying out the following:- Flash 9 for Linux- Flex 2 DS on Linuxand the collaboration examples don’t seem to be working (eg. Collaborative Dashboard in two separate windows, click pie chart in one window, no changes in the other) – is that expected behavior atm?My environment:- Fedora Core 5- Tomcat app server- Firefox v2If I view the exact same samples within FF2 or IE6 on separate Windows machine, but using same server on Linux, they work no prob.

13. Quattro says:

Another Linux user says thank you.