Mac API Jungle

Pursuant to some of my technical posts regarding Linux, some people have asked for similar discussions covering other platforms. Coworker Tinic has just published a detailed blog post describing the drawing improvements being made for Mac platform. Read it and learn about all the possible graphic output paths depending on OS version and browser brand.

I’ll tell you one thing– learning what my Mac colleagues have to put up with when further developing the Flash Player plugin for OS X is almost enough to make me stop complaining about the API jungles on Linuxalmost.

16 Responses to Mac API Jungle

1. SR says:

Tinic’s blog:”Oh boy we have to support multiple APIs! Let’s get to work!”Mike’s blog:”Oh boy we have to support multiple APIs! Time to draw stupid diagrams and make up silly excuses, instead of doing actual work!”

2. eval- says:

Please stop complaining and just make Flash Player on Linux less of an embarrassment. It’s the only part of my daily Linux experience that is unpleasant. I’ve watched such vast improvement of so many GNU tools over the last few years, I just cannot understand why Flash Player is struggling so far behind. Despite a powerful CPU and 4gb of RAM I still suffer through the CPU hogging, choppy video (and some crashes) daily.I have read your API rants and am unconvinced; I am more inclined to trust the critiques of your excuses from the MythTV, Gnash, XBMC, Splitted Desktop and other teams. Honestly, I am almost ready to switch to Gnash. What will it take for Adobe to devote some real resources and skilled engineers to this project? Should we vote with $$ as do Codeweavers users? Pester Google to fix you guys as they did Wine for Picasa and rewrote FreeNX into Neatx? What can we do to make this go faster, we’ve been waiting for years. Many lives are rendered less pleasant on a daily basis just because Adobe’s Linux effort is lagging…

3. jgreco says:

I’m a little confused, am I to believe that the soul purpose of this blog is to make you look like a fool? I’m almost starting to suspect that Adobe just wanted somebody to take the heat so they hired you neatly sop up all the blame.

4. john says:

maybe you should stop complaining and do your work.nvidia already offered to explain how to do it.unbelievable!!!

5. one says:

Totally different note, the “Flash content displays on top of all DHTML layers” problem is still there with flash 10.0.45.2 64bit and firefox 3.5.6.Who’s fault is it now? :/

6. Anon says:

Maybe you should bitch less and work more instead???

7. Ricardo says:

MikeNokia (Meego), Google (Andoid and Chrome)S) and all the Linux distribution have interest in a better flash player for Linux. Nvidia offered help here, why don`t you work together? I don’t know why so many peoople and companies are so slow to develop a good flash player technology for Linux.

8. john says:

On somewhat of a tangent regarding different operating systems, there are several mobile operating systems that are using the Linux kernel, such as Android, WebOS, Maemo (now Meego), and probably some others I’m forgetting. Given their lower powered hardware, these platforms will need hardware acceleration and good overall performance to make flash tolerable. While there are obviously significant differences with these from the desktop platforms, I would suspect that there would be a lot of overlap. I’m curious as to what is or isn’t being done in mobile space, and how that can possibly be applied in desktop space.

9. Anon says:

Mike should do a post on the gigantic, spaghetti nightmare that flash player has become over the years. Your talents seem wasted on this shit, adobe should pay you to write something new.

10. sandog says:

I think it’s fair to criticize Adobe for their slow development on flash. They just recently started dealing with h.264, and still to date haven’t come up with a beta 64 bit release on any platform. This and more is fair game, but sniping at any one person is out of bounds. Keep it clean people.

11. Anonymous says:

wow ppl are still complaining only now they are complaining about devs complaining.so any way, im not really a fan of flash, the only reason i seem to ever need it is because internet explorer wont do heaps of stuff it should, but i must say the linux port has made great strides in reason times… in that it no longer crashes and cpu usage no longer brings my pitiful old adm to its knees. so congrats to the corporate slaves that made that happen, don’t worry about the haters :)peace

12. Kirn Gill says:

My question is this: When will there be a Flash Player for FreeBSD? I mean, there’s nothing stopping it, and hell, the Linux version has worked on FreeBSD for years, although requiring a dirty hack that requires more disk space and RAM to workCome on, deliver a native Flash Player for FreeBSD, NetBSD, and OpenBSD!

13. Darren says:

@sandog, Flash has supported H.264 since 9.0.115 which was released in 2007. Get your facts straight.

14. Anonymous says:

@Darren, Flash supported H.264 in 2007 after the release of Silverlight. H.264 had been around long before that time but adobe came up with all sort of excuses for not implementing it. This company is slow in innovation and clearly run by corporate morons. That’s a fact.

15. New version says:

No mention of 10.1.82.76? I guess this blog is dead?

16. Somebody says:

This is absolutely criminal now.

Your “new version” security update thread doesn’t allow comments.
    You HAD a 64bit version, but have now crippled EVERYONE who uses it — FAILING TO SECURITY FIX the 64bit version is FORCING USERS TO USE A VERSION WITH SECURITY VULNERABILITIES!

This is not only DANGEROUS, it should be considered CRIMINAL!

I hope that adobe dies and rots.