Photoshop Blog

August 29, 2012 /Revel /

Revel 1.5 Web Galleries

Last week week we released a new version of Revel in the iTunes and Mac App stores.

I have been using the latest version of Revel for a few weeks (one of the benefits of working with the product team) and web galleries on AdobeRevel.com is easily my favorite new feature. I’ve been using web galleries on other sites for many years and the thing that’s always frustrated me is how hard it is to keep them up-to-date with new photos. Having to upload photos to a web gallery is a cumbersome and time consuming process and most of the time it’s so painful that I don’t ever get around to doing it all. So often my web galleries ended up stale and people stopped visiting them.  If only it were easier to keep them up-to-date with my latest photos!

With Revel, it is.  This is why I love the way that Revel’s web galleries work. You can share any album on the web with a single button press. Just tap the “Share this Album” and those photos are immediately published to a web gallery. And when I say immediately that is not a figure of speech. I literally mean immediately!

But that’s not even the best part. Anything I do to that album in the Revel app – add new photos, make photo edits, add captions – is automatically updated in the web gallery. So with Revel I don’t have to do anything extra to keep my web galleries up-to-date. I just use the app like I would any other photo app and Revel takes care of everything. And because Revel works on my Mac, iPad, and iPhone I can work on my photo albums from anywhere at anytime.

If you haven’t tried Revel yet, we would love it if you downloaded the app and took it for a spin. If you’re already a Revel user, we are always interested in your feedback. Let us know how we can make the web galleries even better.

Revel

Join the discussion

• By Nikolas - 10:53 PM on August 30, 2012   Reply

Please make it possible to store certain albums for offline use. I can’t show my photos to eg my grandparents, because they don’t have wifi of 3G coverage. Not everyone has 3G coverage all the time.

• By Bodie Quirk - 11:26 PM on August 31, 2012   Reply

Chris,

The web albums are superb. So slick and beautiful, well done. However, it sure would be nice if there was a true “gallery” that it created of all your published web albums. Being able to see our photos online in such an elegant way is awesome, but being able to have all the albums in one gallery is even better.

Hoping this comes in a future update. Grateful for what the team has created so far. Pure excellence.

Thanks

• By Kathy regan - 10:51 AM on September 1, 2012   Reply

How do I share my album to a web gallery ?

• By Kevin - 11:54 AM on September 4, 2012   Reply

A long, long time ago when Revel was called Carousel I signed up for an account immediately. I knew that this was going to evolve into something pretty cool. With this current update it has happened. I now look forward to launching the app to see what I can create and share with my family. Thanks Adobe.

• By Dennis - 6:34 AM on December 7, 2012   Reply

Is there a way where I can share a web gallery with just certain people? Or is this a case where I hit “share” its available to the public and I can’t pick and choose who to share it with?

• By Chris Quek - 1:15 PM on January 2, 2013   Reply

Hi Dennis,

My name is Chris Quek and I work for Adobe on Revel. I want to apologize for the very delayed reply.

To answer your question, no you can’t pick specific people to share a web gallery with but you can pick who you send the web link to. It would be very difficult for a stranger to accidentally gain access to your web galleries as we randomly generate the link for each web gallery created.

Hope this answers your question. Let me know if you have any additional questions.

Chris

• By Olav - 1:06 PM on January 20, 2013   Reply

Dear Chris Quek,

Thanks for your reply to Dennis. I sill have a question as to the randomly generated link for sharing albums. Can the link (i.e. the sub webpage containing the photos) be picked up by search engines, like Google? If so, IMO it may make it easier for others to gain access to the photos. I also want to share private photos with family who do not work with Macs or iOS devices…

Looking forward to your response.

Thanks,
        Olav

• By Kevin Goldsmith - 11:58 PM on January 20, 2013   Reply

Olav, we do not share links to the albums with any search engine, so they won’t show up anywhere.

If someone you share the album with creates a link to the album on a web page however, the search engines may be able to index it. When you give out the link, ask the people you share it with not to post it on any websites and it should not be an issue.

• By Richard Werbin - 1:08 PM on January 2, 2013   Reply

I just uploaded a Photoshop Elements 11 gallery to Revel.

But, when I go to the Revel site I discovered that the pictures in my PSE 11 Gallery were uploaded to Revel but only to my Revel Library. It did not create a Revel Gallery and I don’t see how to create a Revel Galley from Windows 7 / Chrome Browser.

• By Chris Quek - 1:30 PM on January 2, 2013   Reply

Hi Richard,

When you export photos from Elements to Revel they should go into your Revel photo library. We know that this is a little confusing especially given that Revel is listed in the “Share” drop-down menu in Elements. This is something we are looking to address in future versions of Elements.

Unfortunately you can’t share a Revel web gallery using the web version of Revel, at least not yet. We are in the process of getting this functionally up and running. We don’t have a specific eta but we are working hard on it right now. If you have an iPhone or an iPad you can download the Revel app and use it to create a Revel web gallery.

Really sorry for any inconvenience this has caused. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Chris

• By Pete Green - 5:15 PM on January 3, 2013   Reply

Do you have a Mac or any IOS device Richard? If so, you can create/manage your revel accounts and images with one of those machines.

Currently with the web interface there isn’t a way to create/manage your Albums/Gallerys within Revel.

• By Harry - 12:12 PM on January 17, 2013   Reply

Hey guys, nice work so far, I like Revel but have a few things that bother me as a non-iOS user.
    Web Interface:
    – a “select all” or marquee selection mode for moving a lot of photos at once into an album. Clicking every single photo with the selection mode takes too long. Or make it possible to shift-select ranges of images
    – functionality to rename an album
    – my upload progress got stuck (~20 hours now) at the image before the last one (2085 of 2086). I made multiple albums and uploaded several batches of images into them, so may it was just a duplicate or incompatible file and the upload is actually complete
    – it is very, very slow. I have to wait 4-5s for an album to display the first thumbnail. When I click on that thumbnail it takes 15-19s to display the full image. The next image is shown immediately, but the 3rd takes ~15s again. And so on, 1 image loads, the next shows immediately, 1 loads, next shows, …
    – please publish an Android App!

• By Chris Quek - 12:19 PM on January 17, 2013   Reply

Hi Harry,

Thanks for the feedback. A lot of the things you are asking for are on our roadmap so hopefully the web version will be better suited to your needs in the future. Please keep letting us know about things that you want or want changed. Your feedback really helps us prioritize the features on our roadmap.

One question. In terms of the slowness is this something that has always been the case or is this something that you are just experiencing?

Thanks

Chris

• By Harry - 9:09 AM on January 24, 2013   Reply

Hey Chris,

compared to services like Google+ photo albums it is very slow and it has never been fast. So it’s not a temporary issue if that is what you meant :)

All the best
    Harry

• By Harry - 9:10 AM on January 24, 2013   Reply

I just tried again and it is much faster than on the 17th. After every 2 images it is loading ~0.5-1s now.

• By Chris Quek - 9:19 AM on January 24, 2013   Reply

Hi Harry,

Thanks for the feedback. We are doing a lot of work to make sure the service is fast and the user experience is consistent from visit to visit. Please let us know if you experience any performance issues in the future.

Chris

• By kolonie - 4:10 AM on February 22, 2013   Reply

Hi there, I discovered your site by means of Google even as looking for a similar subject, your website got here up, it seems to be good. I’ve bookmarked it in my google bookmarks.

• By aida philips - 8:28 PM on March 25, 2013   Reply

cool i just added my posing photos so if u like to look its all ok feel free to take a look

• By seo - 12:52 AM on April 17, 2013   Reply

• By Robt Nevarez - 12:19 AM on May 7, 2013   Reply

Mack I think the requirement is eight conference games, so you are probably right. I was more playing devil’s advocate in case the magic number is 6 or 7.

• By Joey Heeralall - 1:28 AM on May 7, 2013   Reply

Well, for me I think Kratie Province in noth of Cambodia (uper mekong) is the best place to do fishing especialy in October or November. We can go to sand beach or flooting village with fishing net and do fishing. It is very good place to go. I usually have a great time here. If you wanna come I will be your guide.

• By Robt Nevarez - 4:20 AM on May 7, 2013   Reply

I’m a San Francisco native born and raised in San Pancho. Orale! I find your website kinda addicting ese.

• By Theron Bolig - 4:38 AM on May 7, 2013   Reply

Well, she’s in sixth grade. Her last name is Lantz.

• By gretchen tiger - 10:03 PM on June 24, 2013   Reply

I’m totally confused on this product. I try to upgrade, but PSE options seem not to be available. I don’t need full photoshop or other apps.

• By Robert James - 6:36 PM on April 19, 2015   Reply

great article in this big site

Join the discussion