Photoshop Blog

October 10, 2012 /Photoshop /

Faking It: Manipulated Photography Before Photoshop

How have advances in digital imaging software and digital capture changed photography as a medium?  “Not as much as you might think” according to Mia Fineman, Assistant Curator of Photography at the Metropolitan Museum of Art.  Fineman has assembled an exhibit demonstrating a wide variety of pre-digital image manipulation representing three years of research on the topic.

Open to the public this Thursday, Faking It: Manipulated Photography Before Photoshop at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York will feature the history of photo manipulation as it was created and understood before Photoshop.  The exhibit contains some 200 images, created from the 1840s to the early 1990s, that explore the evolution of doctored photographs.

Faking It consists of seven unique sections. Each explores a different set of motives – from politics to humor – for creating manipulated images.  A wide variety of artists are featured including Jerry Uelsmann, Richard Avedon, Yves Klein and Grete Stern.Right next door to the Faking It exhibit is After Photoshop: Manipulated Photography in the Digital Agean exploration into digital image manipulation.

At a reception for the event on Tuesday night, analog and digital artists mingled to discuss the collection of work and trends in the industry.  Below, Russell Preston Brown, Senior Creative Director at Adobe, showed Jerry Uelsmann and Maria Yap,  Senior Director of Product management at Adobe, a digitally manipulated image he created earlier that day with Photoshop Touch.

Russell Brown has a little fun with Photoshop Touch at the Faking It exhibit

Adobe is proud to sponsor this exhibit and looks forward to the conversation it generates as photographers explore the history of image manipulation.

WHERE: The Metropolitan Museum of Art
1000 Fifth Avenue
New York, New York 10028-0198

DURATION: Oct. 11, 2012 – Jan. 27, 2013
Tues.–Thurs.: 9:30 a.m.–5:30 p.m.
Fri. and Sat.: 9:30 a.m.–9:00 p.m.
Sun.: 9:30 a.m.–5:30 p.m.
Closed Monday (except Met Holiday Mondays), Nov. 22, Dec. 25, and Jan.1

If you’re able to visit the exhibition, also be sure to also see a lecture from the Met Museum’s “Faking It” lecture series. In the spirit of the exhibit, we’ll be exploring the history and motives behind photo manipulation with our Facebook, Twitter and Google Plus communities, so be sure to follow along.

Photoshop

Join the discussion

• By CH - 1:11 PM on October 10, 2012   Reply

Make the corraction in “DURATION” can be Oct.11.2012 – Jan 27 2013, not 2012 ?

• By Herman Caroan - 1:16 PM on October 10, 2012   Reply

For once in my life I actually want to visit a museum.. Oh man, if I only didn’t live about 4000 miles away from NYC. :/

BTW, at “Duration” it should be: Oct. 11, 2012 – Jan. 27, 2013. Not “Jan. 27, 201(2).” :)

• By Tom - 12:57 PM on October 23, 2012   Reply

For once in my life I actually want to visit a museum.”

Sad.

I live about 2 min away so I’ll let you know what you missed if you post directions to your cave.

• By Mike - 3:44 PM on October 10, 2012   Reply

I wish I could have been there to meet Jerry Uelsmann & Russell Brown.

I’ve been a fan of Uelsmann since college — my Photography thesis was on him and his usage of multiple enlargers and multiple masks to perfectly blend a myriad of images.

And I’ve been a fan of Russell Brown almost as long (PS came out my senior year of college). Now if only they could get Kai Krause back in the game — or at least displayed at the MoMA.

• By Aleks - 4:39 PM on October 10, 2012   Reply

An interesting topic and it would be nice to see the photos they have there.
    They could visit Australia as well :))

• By Alain B. - 6:38 AM on October 11, 2012   Reply

Sounds great… residing in Europe I probably won’t visit this exhibition, nevertheless I can most certainly tell you that I had way less interesting “museum experiences” in my lifetime.

• By Moataz - 5:27 PM on October 11, 2012   Reply

A7a

• By Vicki T - 8:50 AM on October 12, 2012   Reply

Sounds like a wonderful exhibit. Much of my earlier work was inspired by Uelsmann. Hope it comes to San Francisco!

• By Rodrigo Neves - 7:01 AM on October 13, 2012   Reply

This exhibition looks really impressive! I would love to see up close such photographs.

• […] Faking It: Manipulated Photography Before Photoshop | PHOTOSHOP.COM BLOG. […]

• By Ольга Пичугина - 6:47 AM on October 14, 2012   Reply

МНЕ ОЧЕНЬ НРАВИТЬСЯ ВАШИ РАБОТЫ ! МОЯ МЕЧТА НАУЧИТЬСЯ ПРАВИЛЬНО И ПРОФЕССИОНАЛЬНО РАБОТАТЬ В ФОТОШОПЕ ВО ВСЕХ ОБЛАСТЯХ И КОНЕЧНО КРЕАТИВНЫЙ .НО К СОЖАЛЕНИЮ У МЕНЯ НЕТ ТАКОЙ ВОЗМОЖНОСТИ И ДЕНЕГ! ПОЭТОМУ Я ОБРАТИЛАСЬ К ВАМ ,ЧТО ЕСЛИ У ВАС БУДЕТ ТАКАЯ ВОЗМОЖНОСТЬ НАУЧИТЬ МЕНЯ ЭТОМУ ПО ИНТЕРНЕТУ,ТО Я БУДУ ВАМ ОЧЕНЬ БЛАГОДАРНА!

С УВАЖЕНИЕМ К ВАМ ! ОЛЬГА.

• By Eugene - 3:23 PM on October 18, 2012   Reply

Here comes Captain Obvious!! tatada!!!

• By Robert Lowdon - 9:59 AM on October 21, 2012   Reply

My favourite has always been the sandwich print. Look it’s a ghost!

• By Сергей - 2:16 AM on October 26, 2012   Reply

Был бы музей в России обязательно посетила бы.

• […] Show Off Your Image Manipulation Skills in the Photoshop ‘Faking It’ Contest 0 COMMENTS Posted by Lex van den Berghe on Dec 13, 2012 Photoshop is more than just software, it’s a celebration of creativity and the ability to make any image into something inspirational. Before Photoshop, artists were enhancing and manipulating photographs through any number of methods, including photomontage, combination printing, overpainting, retouching, or a combination of any of the aforementioned processes. To celebrate these pioneers, the Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York is hosting an exhibit titled Faking It: Manipulated Photography Before Photoshop. […]

• […] celebrate the Met’s exhibit Faking It: Manipulated Photography Before Photoshop, the Photoshop team has created a […]

• […] fans of the Photoshop Facebook page to create manipulated images inspired by artwork in the Faking It: Manipulated Photography Before Photoshop exhibit at the Metropolitan Museum of Art, New […]

• […] It Contest has seen it all: Ghosts, “Manimals” and even the extraterrestrial. Inspired by the Faking It: Manipulated Photography Before Photoshop exhibit at the Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, the Faking It contest took place on the […]

• By 腕時計 ソーラー 電波 - 7:30 PM on October 27, 2013   Reply