Photoshop Blog

March 14, 2013 /Photoshop /

Photography Prodigy Blurs Reality and Imagination: A Conversation with Taylor McCormick

In only two years, Taylor McCormick has transformed herself from a budding photographer into a one-of-a-kind artist.  Through an involved and self-driven process McCormick matured from a high-school student with a camera and an imagination into a gallery-sponsored artist, traveling to Atlanta, Washington D.C., New York and Los Angeles for her work. Her journey can be described by the same word used to describe most of her published images: dreamlike.

"Sleeping Beauty" by Taylor McCormick

Taylor’s breakout photography caught my attention with its originality and cultivated process. McCormick is a young woman talented beyond her years, whose portfolio illustrates a combination of both tenacity and creativity.

I recently had the chance to talk to Taylor about her breakout photography career and found her story to be an example of what young photographers can achieve with the right tools and vision.

At age 17, after a few years of shooting photos, McCormick began using Photoshop CS5 to create artwork out of the images she shot on her camera. She had no formal training in Photoshop, and learned the software through YouTube training videos and relentless trial and error. Her goal was to work on an image for a week, creating and learning as she made each photo increasingly more detailed and complex.

“By forcing myself to create one elaborate image each week; I give myself a week to work on it,” says McCormick. “I sleep on it and then I go back to it after sleeping.”

To pursue her passion, McCormick began attending Savannah College of Art and Design (SCAD), where she is currently a freshman. As part of her education, she attended a demonstration of Photoshop CS6 and upgraded her personal workflow to include the new program.
In her personal time, McCormick studies the work of photographers she admires, and integrates their methods into her own. For example, Brooke Shaden inspired her to shoot photos with a Nikon D80 and later a D800.

Inspired by the Brenizer method, McCormick often uses three to nine original photos for each image she creates. She often shoots several versions of a scene to combine shots into a base, and then adds individual malleable elements as layers on top.

During shoots, McCormick often takes photos of everyday objects like clouds or skies to build her own personal stock image library for later projects. Once the images are uploaded, she completes her post-processing in Photoshop, using features like layer masks, selective color, puppet warp, layer warp, content-aware fill and adjustment layers to fine-tune her creations.

"3.52" (left) and "4.52" (right) by Taylor McCormick

Two years of intense work hasn’t slowed down McCormick. In fact, her ability and ambition continue to grow faster than her process can accommodate. She currently has work backed up so much that a photo shot today wouldn’t enter processing for several months.

Even after all that work, some projects are learning experiences and nothing else. “For every image that’s uploaded, 20 never make it,” McCormick says.

While she’s unsure of what the future will hold for her photography, Taylor loves the creative challenge and plans to keep pushing her limits to make new art. “I can’t really see myself doing anything else,” she says.

To see more of Taylor’s photography, visit her Flickr page and follow her on Instagram.

"Self-Portrait" (left) and "White Smoke" (right) by Taylor McCormick

Photoshop

Join the discussion

• By Nathaniel James - 1:30 PM on March 14, 2013   Reply

This is awesome work. I had seen some of this work before and didn’t know who created it but each time I saw these images, it just inspired me to work harder. Thanks and good job Taylor!

• By katie jenkins - 1:21 AM on March 16, 2013   Reply

:{

• By katie jenkins - 1:22 AM on March 16, 2013   Reply

not very good

• By anna s - 8:13 PM on March 16, 2013   Reply

ahahahah what are you even saying

• By Whitney - 9:43 PM on March 17, 2013   Reply

Jealous much?? I think so. If you knew anything about photography, you would see this young lady is very talented. I have been studying photography for the last year and a half… She clearly is inspired by Masters of the art. Good job, Taylor! It’s expected to have people be jealous of your accomplishments, just don’t let their sour attitude bring you down!

• By billystudd - 3:40 AM on March 15, 2013   Reply

your photos really says something

• By Jacob - 4:20 AM on March 15, 2013   Reply

Very good photo :) Idea for the photo with cup and clouds is amazing :)

• By Daniel thomassin - 4:52 AM on March 15, 2013   Reply

Vous avez un grand talent et un avenir prometteur !

Dan

• […] Check out the Photoshop.com blog: […]

• By Immigration Advicers maidstone - 6:54 PM on March 15, 2013   Reply

I am sure this piece of writing has touched all the internet viewers, its really really pleasant article
    on building up new webpage.

• By katie jenkins - 1:20 AM on March 16, 2013   Reply

very bad

• By Elsa - 4:10 AM on March 19, 2013   Reply

Amazing work! I will have to check more about the artist! Thanks for the article!

• By Angela Hudson - 12:45 AM on March 20, 2013   Reply

I was wonder to see this photography! what an idea :)
    its looks like she is slowly flying in her dream!

• By Vicki - 7:43 AM on March 20, 2013   Reply

Looks very ‘Rosie Hardy’

• By profitclicking make money online - 8:41 AM on March 23, 2013   Reply

Today, while I was at work, my sister stole my iPad and tested to see if it can survive a 40 foot drop, just so she
    can be a youtube sensation. My apple ipad is now destroyed and she has 83
    views. I know this is completely off topic but I
    had to share it with someone!

• By emmanuel fremin - 6:15 PM on March 25, 2013   Reply

Taylor just signed with our NYC gallery, she will be part of the Affordable Art Fair NY and Vision of the world exhibit in Chelsea.

• By Bill Knudson - 9:56 PM on January 10, 2015   Reply

Hi Emmanuel.

Is this the direction photography is taking for galleries, using numerous photos and layering them on Photoshop to make a complete image? I have been doing professional photography for over 25 years and am interested in marketing my work to galleries and stock houses who may be able to use work in my photo library.

Thanks for your input,

Bill Knudson

• By R Gene Phelps - 5:28 PM on March 27, 2013   Reply

Taylor: I am so glad to have stumbled across you and your work. I have tied to be creative just taking photos but it never has been enough. You have shown me that working postshoot gives me the opportunity to fully express my creativity. Thank you!

• By STRONA - 6:33 AM on May 6, 2013   Reply

I adore that site layout . How do you make it!? Its very good.

• By clean air - 12:16 AM on July 14, 2013   Reply

Hey there just wanted to give you a brief heads up and let you know a few
    of the images aren’t loading correctly. I’m not sure why
    but I think its a linking issue. I’ve tried it in two different web browsers and both show the same outcome.

• By Clipping Path - 9:00 AM on April 15, 2014   Reply

It is really a beautiful and creative blog having some vital information over the subject. Thank you for share.

Join the discussion