Photoshop Blog

October 9, 2013 /Photoshop /

Intimate Portraits of Nature

One of the things that inspires me most and gets me pumped to come into work each day at Adobe is the opportunity to interact with some of the world’s most talented artists. In his latest work, a book entitled “joSon: Intimate Portraits of Nature,” joSon breaks new ground with his ability to bring spirit and life to a still image.  Since I first came across his work, I’ve been fascinated by the emotions joSon manages to express through his images.

I recently had the opportunity to chat with joSon about his unique upbringing and his new book. Hearing him speak about his journey, from growing up in a Buddhist temple to becoming an award-winning photographer, opened my eyes to a new way of interpreting nature photography.

joSon

The Accidental Book?
Listening to joSon talk about his youth, it’s immediately apparent that the title “artist” suits him well, because no other word could describe his profound commitment to his craft: immersing himself in and meditating on nature by drawing it. He spent his youth in a Buddhist temple, where engaging in the natural world was part of every day life. There, it was routine for joSon and other aspiring monks to arrange flowers, meditate in the garden, and grow fruits and vegetables. “Being an ‘artist’ was not something I identified with. That’s something that I learned…because that’s not what we did in that environment.” It wasn’t until his late teen years that he was told by the temple master that he would not be a monk; he would be an “artist.”

joSon

The same happenstance appears to have figured into his photo collection, Intimate Portrait of Nature, which features more than 100 flower species. “I never had a moment when I said, ‘Oh, I have to do a book’… Connecting with nature and plants was always what I’ve loved to do…before I knew it, I had three or four thousand images in my collection. And then, when people saw the work, they said, ‘I think it’s time to do a book.’”

joSon

While joSon (who now makes his living as a commercial photographer) is certainly concerned with “creating images,” it’s clear that his personal understanding of flowers inspired him to capture more than just their images. “Their colors, forms, textures, and tender lifespan are like a lost civilization that draws me inward and compels me to document their lives.” joSon describes his unique slant on his floral subjects:

The images in this book are more than simple portraits of flowers. Instead they become mirrors—because in each bloom we find ourselves, our innermost      emotions, mirrored and melded and melted into the world inside and around   us. And not simply mirrored: transformed. For these same flowers also have the power to calm our emotions, or inflame them— to rekindle love, joy,        forgiveness, memory, beauty, passion and even grief.

As joSon manifested his perspective on and relationship with flowers, he happened to create art – art now cataloged in his book.

joSon

In total, joSon’s personal photography catalog includes about 4,000 flowers (he calls it “my own personal garden that I created in my computer.”) He shot, and sometimes scanned, each one in his studio and perfected the images in Photoshop.

After speaking with joSon, I see the photos as more than images formed by colors and shapes. They are relationships, movements, emotions and moments, previously only for joSon, but now, also, for those of us who can enjoy his book. The collection is an invitation to discover someone’s experiences of the natural world – experiences so powerful that they inspired joSon to transform them into photographs.

Thanks again to joSon for taking the time to discuss his new book. To see more of joSon’s photography, view the Photoshop.com Spotlight, visit his website or check out his book “joSon: Intimate Portrait of Nature.”

Photoshop

Join the discussion

• By Melissa Klar - 3:17 PM on October 9, 2013   Reply

Just BEAUTIFUL! I have never seen photographs of flowers like these, just BREATHTAKING, you can smell them!

• By Steve Winslow - 5:59 PM on October 9, 2013   Reply

A wonderful and refreshing interpretation of the work of joSon. His images provide insight into both the soul of the flower and of us far beyond the mere beauty of the flowers.

thanks for sharing with us — Steve

• By The Wedding Photographer - 11:45 PM on October 13, 2013   Reply

Amazing indeed! From nature photography to nature portraits, a long way have we come!

• By nermand - 4:11 AM on October 14, 2013   Reply

i cant find my photos in photoshop.com

• By Pete Green - 11:41 AM on October 19, 2013   Reply

Hi Nermand,

Photoshop.com’s sharing and storage servers have been taken down as of Mid July. We sent several emails to all folks that had accounts, so perhaps they went in your spam filters?
      Your image files have been migrated to a Revel account so that they are retained.

Information on this change can be found here: http://www.photoshop.com/misc/membership-faq
      If you have questions about how to access your files, or other questions head here: http://forums.adobe.com/community/revel

Regards
      Pete

• By mg-d-2003@hotmail.com - 12:03 PM on October 15, 2013   Reply

Je suis, je veux est égal à quel point les motifs

• By NatMar02 - 7:43 PM on October 20, 2013   Reply

Awesome! I can almost smell them!

• By Steve - 10:47 PM on October 21, 2013   Reply

This is really awesome flowers and the work done by joSon is a great, Looking forward to see his personal garden and eagerly waiting to see 4000 flowers.

Cheers!

• By mahlet - 4:58 AM on October 24, 2013   Reply

ineed working in Photoshop and coral draw how to get in mac software help me

• By Julie E Roberts - 5:57 PM on October 27, 2013   Reply

I have the old on photoshop the starter one that uses a code and I never got won because I didn’t think I would ever need it now I am in a court case and my pictues I took to day went in the old photoshop and I can no get them out I need those pictured help me please People sirly haved moved there pictures to photoshop.elements 9 help me please!!!!!!!!

• By quartz stone - 8:52 PM on October 30, 2013   Reply

Awesome! very nice pic!

• By game co tuong - 11:54 PM on November 5, 2013   Reply

opened my eyes to a new way of interpreting nature photography

• By Transporta pakalpojumi - 5:17 AM on November 7, 2013   Reply

This is very cool, but the picture on the left doesn’t look real. :)

• By robinetdeal - 7:25 PM on December 15, 2013   Reply

photoshop is nice!

• By Ziedu piegāde - 6:50 AM on January 7, 2014   Reply

We have been using Photoshop for a while now but we can’t get such beautiful images. Will have to try harder. Thanks

• By grifoso - 7:50 PM on April 19, 2014   Reply

• By Ziedu Kurjers - 3:25 AM on October 23, 2014   Reply

Beautiful! Wish I would have the time and knowledge to create such masterful images.

Join the discussion