Photoshop Blog

35 Reasons You Can’t Live Without Today’s Updates to the Photoshop and Lightroom Family of Products

Today we release 35 exciting updates to Photoshop CC, Lightroom mobile, Lightroom web, Photoshop Sketch and Photoshop Mix that will change how you work with images, PSDs and drawings across your desktop and mobile devices. We can’t wait to hear what you think.

PHOTOSHOP

First, we are thrilled to announce a new update to Photoshop CC, our third feature release in just four months! This release introduces new features including a great new Creative Cloud service, major improvements to existing features, and on-going refinements to the entire application. Dan Mall, Founder at SuperFriendly, says, “I always look forward to the latest Photoshop updates, and this latest release is no exception. The new Creative Cloud Libraries feature is perfect for anyone looking for smart tools to create responsive design systems.” We on the Photoshop team are excited to get this into the hands of all our customers!

ONE: Creative Cloud Libraries

Get quick access to your most used content in a new panel. New Creative Cloud Libraries presents all your favorite graphics, colors, type styles, layer styles, brushes, and more in a panel, ready for use. Just drag in the design elements you want constant access to into the panel – for example, layers, Smart Objects, color, text or layer styles – and they are always there for you. Then click or drag the elements back out to use them. Plus, those items are synched with Creative Cloud via your Creative Profile, so you can access them any time in Photoshop CC or in Illustrator CC. Our new mobile apps also support saving to Libraries, so you can access the brush you created in Adobe Brush CC, the Color Theme from Adobe Color CC, or the drawing you created in Adobe Photoshop Sketch.

Learn more.

1 Libraries

TWO: Extract Assets

A new interface for creating Generator tags, Extract Assets allows you to easily export individual layers from your design, and automatically update those assets when your design changes. Extract Assets is an easy way to define the parameters for extraction, such as 2x scaling, compression levels, and file types. You also get a real-time preview of the exported asset. Also new is the ability to export vector content as SVG, for infinitely scalable assets.

Learn more.

2 Extract

THREE: Improved Guides creation

Set up guides faster than ever. Alignment and layout is a critical part of design. Now you can easily create a grid within Photoshop by simply choosing the number of columns. You can also specify exact widths, gutter, margins, and rows. Best of all, you can save your favorites as a preset to easily use in your next design. The “New Guides From Shape” option also creates guides based on the currently selected shape or shapes.

Learn more.

3 Guides

FOUR THROUGH TWENTY-NINE: Other improvements

There are over 25 other improvements to Photoshop in this release, including faster Focus Mask and Content-Aware processing, a new filter for generating highly customizable flames, updated new document presets, updated patterns, new keyboard shortcuts for locking and hiding layers, and the ability to interpret 3D rigging and animation data in COLLADA files as well as support for 3D PDF workflows.

THIRTY: Try Photoshop free!

If you haven’t updated to the Creative Cloud yet, starting today you can get 30 more days with Photoshop CC 2014 free! We are so excited about this release, we have reset the Photoshop trial for you. So, even if you have already used up your Photoshop CC 2014 free 30-day trial period, you can give it another whirl.

For the full list of new features, check out the What’s New in Photoshop CC page or on adobe.com.

Helpful Links

UPDATES TO LIGHTROOM MOBILE AND LIGHTROOM WEB

Today we released updates to lightroom.adobe.com and Lightroom mobile (both on iPhone and iPad). This release is directly related to features that you’ve requested in order to speed up your workflow.

THIRTY-ONE: Star Ratings and Flags

Some photographers use pick flags to make selections. Other photographers use pick and reject flags. And for photographers that use both pick flags and star ratings, Lightroom mobile now has the ability to set pick flags and star ratings without having to switch contexts or modes.

THIRTY-TWO: Feedback from Clients and Friends

Using shared collections on lightroom.adobe.com, photographers can now collect feedback and have that feedback flow back into Lightroom mobile. We’re still working on flowing the feedback back into Lightroom desktop, so stay tuned for more on this in an upcoming release.

THIRTY-THREE: Additional Language Support

Lightroom mobile 1.2 adds support for Brazilian Portuguese, Italian, Korean, and Spanish.

Helpful Links

WELCOME ADOBE SKETCH TO THE PHOTOSHOP FAMILY

On June 18 we released Adobe Sketch, a completely new drawing app for iPad. Sketch is a new kind of tool that enables you to create stunning, expressive drawings using natural drawing tools – pens, pencils, markers and erasers – and puts your creative community at your fingertips, so you can express yourself beautifully anywhere.

Sketch

Our customers are so excited about Sketch and all the magical things you can do when you combine it with Photoshop, that today we are welcoming it into the Photoshop family and renaming it Adobe Photoshop Sketch.

THIRTY-FOUR: New Photoshop Sketch Features

In addition to the new name and tighter integration with our flagship tool, today we also ship a number of new features. Sketch now includes five built-in expressive brushes for acrylic, pastel, smudge, spray, and ink, along with the ability to integrate custom brushes you create with Adobe Brush CC. And when you’re done, send your sketches to your desktop as a PSD to refine in Photoshop, or incorporate them into other designs in Photoshop and Illustrator, or edit them as vector paths in Illustrator.

To enjoy Photoshop Sketch for free and to learn more, please visit sketch.adobe.com.

UPDATE TO PHOTOSHOP MIX

Adobe Photoshop Mix gives iPad users a fast, flexible and deeply integrated solution for selective edits, quick composites and more. With access to Creative Cloud, Photoshop CC, Lightroom and beyond, Mix empowers new and existing customers, wherever they are.

THIRTY-FIVE: Photoshop Mix for iPhone

We cap off today’s announcement with a completely new Photoshop app for iPhone! Mix has been redesigned specifically for iPhone and brings exciting new functionality like Auto Cut Out, and synchronizing with Creative Cloud so that your projects are available on all your devices. To enjoy Mix for free and to learn more, please visit mix.adobe.com.

Mix

I’ve listed 35 of the new updates that I find most exciting for you today, but there are actually a whole lot more. So, grab your updates and start exploring. I can’t wait to hear what you like best!

Additional Information:

Enjoy,

Pam Clark

Director of Product Management, Photoshop

Lightroom, Photoshop, Photoshop Mix, Product News

Join the discussion

• By Tim K - 9:08 AM on October 6, 2014   Reply

Your link to color.adobe.com doesn’t work (looks like you probably forgot the http:// part)

• By Jeffrey Tranberry - 11:19 AM on October 6, 2014   Reply

Thanks. Looks like it’s working now.

• By Kuldeep Biswal - 7:28 PM on November 9, 2014   Reply

Hi clark,
      Can we see the combination of Lightroom Mobile and Photoshop in Android, its the need of the current market.

• By Andrew Buckle - 9:33 AM on October 6, 2014   Reply

A very good release, my favourite being the libraries and the flame (as well as the speed increase in the tree tool) as well as the guides (layout and shape)

Would love to see the Adobe Sketch etc mobile apps work on Android as well as Window Phone, now that would be a useful update for me

• By Laurie Davison - 4:47 PM on October 6, 2014   Reply

Focus stacking working again, thank you

• By Jeffrey Tranberry - 8:46 AM on October 8, 2014   Reply

Yup. Thanks for your patience Laurie.

• By Tom Herriman - 10:25 AM on October 18, 2014   Reply

No it does not.

• By Colin - 11:58 PM on October 6, 2014   Reply

Link to

What’s New in Photoshop CC page

Also not working

• By Colin - 12:53 AM on October 7, 2014   Reply

Can we change the image that is displayed as Photoshop loads. This one is worse than the last.

If you are going to use “different” images, you must accept that some users will not like them

• By Colin - 12:54 AM on October 7, 2014   Reply

Love the extract assets

• By Jman - 7:42 PM on October 7, 2014   Reply

When will we see Lightroom Mobile and Photoshop Mix for Android?

• By Caroline - 1:26 PM on October 9, 2014   Reply

I would just love to see some of those mobile i-apps being released to the Android market too. Feeling rather left out right now. As Adobe release updates for the iPhone and ipad they don’t even release the apps at all to us – yet we pay the same subscription fee. Kind of unfair

• By April Clark - 11:37 AM on October 10, 2014   Reply

I think Android is coming but it’s my understanding that the apps for Android are harder to write than apps for ios.

• By April Clark - 11:36 AM on October 10, 2014   Reply

Sadly since this update my Photoshop CC locks up every time I try to use the type tool. Super aggravated.

• By Sarah - 4:54 AM on October 11, 2014   Reply

Love the extract assets !

• By Victor - 9:44 PM on October 18, 2014   Reply

I’m not one for subscription software, but in the case of Photoshop, it looks like for software that is so expensive, that this is the only way many of us can afford it. As a small sign shop, we don’t have the resources many large shops do, so this was a welcome thing.

Thanks for that. Now to my concerns. First of all, it is entirely true that even though Windows based computers run an overwhelming majority of computers and have been in that position for all the years I’ve been around them, (my first PC’s were Macs, and the original IBM pc with 4.77mhz (yes, megahertz) and 2 floppy drives. I had a 300 baud modem) and it was SLOOOOOOOWWW. Anyhow, since my first days of learning the DOS commands and so forth, I have always liked Windows based PC’s and never wanted to change, even when working with both platforms.

There is an extreme prejudice against anyone who doesn’t have an Apple IPad, IPhone, and PC, and it is not only annoying, it is disrespectful to all of us who have made a choice to use what the world uses. Photoshop on a MAC or PC is the same, there is no advantage in ay way, shape or form to own a MAC over a PC, and if anything the argument can be successfully made of the converse.

But no matter how much traction an IBM/Windows computer gets, it seems there is a conscience and deliberate decision made by Adobe and many others to ‘just say no’ to PC’s.

I personally don’t believe that the program is harder to write for PC’s than for Android, and in any case, the $1000.00 price tag should offer quite a carrot of incentive to the development team at Adobe.

Again, the program is awesome but we expected that from Adobe, but mentioning Ipad, Iphone and the Imac is just making us folks not only feel left out, but actually feel like a red headed step child. I’ll bet if Adobe looked at their bottom line, they’d find that us PC people bring in more revenue than the the ‘holier than thou’ virgins on the blindingly white side. Maybe I’ll just start referring to them as “White Supremacists”

Thanks for listening and hopefully this message along with all the other comments in favor of the ‘poor kids’ getting some ice cream sometimes too, will make a diff.

Thanks

• By Tom Herriman - 12:29 PM on October 24, 2014   Reply

When does Adobe intend to correct the problem with loading into stacks, layers, hdr pro, etc. from Lightroom into PSCC or PSCC 2014?

I’m tired of bouncing back to Bridge and CS6 for these options.

• By Jeffrey Tranberry - 8:46 AM on October 27, 2014   Reply

Hi Tom, sounds like you are missing a Photoshop update. Try installing 2014.2.1: http://adobe.ly/PS-Up-To-Date

• By Tom Herriman - 1:29 PM on October 31, 2014   Reply

Jeffrey,
        I didn’t miss any updates.
        Running 2014.2.1
        20141014.r.257 x64

• By Tom Herriman - 1:38 PM on October 31, 2014   Reply

My CR is 8.0.0.137 so it’s behind but I have no way to update it.
          The updater claims that everything is up to date.

• By Whitney - 10:02 PM on October 28, 2014   Reply

Hace tiempo cambie de mail, y hasta ahora vengo a enterarme que cambiaron todo, que pasó con tooodassss mis fotos, ya no las podré recuperar ??

• By Lance - 12:01 PM on October 29, 2014   Reply

I cannot use anything in the 3D menu or the Flame, Trees or Picture Frame filters. I have a 2011 Macbook Pro with the AMD Radeon HD 6490M 256 MB card. Is this card not adequate?

• By Kaffee - 9:18 AM on November 1, 2014   Reply

Loving those additional assets! Keep up the awesome work guys.

• By Karen Neko - 10:48 AM on November 10, 2014   Reply

Does anyone have any idea why they got rid of the Kooler?? I really liked that feature.

• By Jeffrey Tranberry - 7:41 PM on November 11, 2014   Reply

It was simply renamed to Window>Extensions>Adobe Color Themes.

• By Addy Thomson - 2:40 AM on November 11, 2014   Reply

Adobe products always come first when it comes to design. I’m big fan of Adobe products and I simply in love the new assets. I’m basically student of UI/UX designing and Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator works like a charm for me. I tried Adobe alternatives as well but nothing can replace Adobe products. So, my first choice is Adobe.

Thanks for providing such an amazing tools to designers. Keep going with your efforts to provide us such a superb products.

Love Adobe.

Cheers,
    Addy Thomson

• By Ralph Berrett - 7:42 AM on November 16, 2014   Reply

Lightroom’s Library function is hinderance and a pain, basically completely useless to our company because it can’t be accessed from multiple terminals on our network, Bridge is a far superior and more practical program than Lightroom for our network use.

I am looking forward to CS7 when it comes out.

• By Pedro Marques - 9:55 AM on November 19, 2014   Reply

Finally we have updated all our team to CC2014.
    We are not a creative team. We are a factory of images/contents.

All our internal scripts working on CS6 now are running OK under CC 2014!
    I have tested our major scripts (longer to process under CS6) and I’ve got better results using them under CC2014, reducing 18% to 23% the time to process under photoshop and Bridge.
    We use only Bridge, Photoshop, Lightroom, Aftereffects and Media Encoder.
    We deal on a daily basis with more then 6000 images every day, and hundreds of videos.
    The issues regarding productivity are a major concern to us.
    The off-line scripts that don’t require the online cloud are a must to keep. Those are the reason to be able to get 5000 images updated online every day.

Cloud yes, but also the core of-line assets are crucial to develop even more.

I hope that some day all the Adobe teams start talking more to each other and collaborating more with each other, being more coherent with the ‘cloud’ concept.
    If Adobe will do this within itself with all the people involved, in a positive way, the cloud will be shared much more by the community.

• By Penny Bliss - 6:06 PM on November 24, 2014   Reply

Before I agree to anything . I would like to know if it will do what i want. I want to make a xmas card with 3himmy’s that I would like to draw santa hat on another one with garland & ornaments. Is this possible.

• By grafiker - 8:13 PM on November 25, 2014   Reply

Thankss

• By Transport - 8:25 AM on November 26, 2014   Reply

Great News, thank you for info.

• By Jamie Dean - 2:11 AM on November 27, 2014   Reply

Overall the new update seems to be quite well considered, and I have one problem with it and that is that a script that I ran before on the previous version of cc 2014 no longer works, producing an error which states;

‘The object “ of layer 14” is not currently available.
    Line: 11
    -> var saveFile= File(oldPath +”/”+doc.layerSets[a].name +”.png”);’

Would anyone know what has changed so that this no longer works?

P.S. for reference the script I am using can be found here: http://www.damienvanholten.com/blog/export-groups-to-files-photoshop/

• By Jeffrey Tranberry - 9:01 AM on December 1, 2014   Reply

Hi Jamie,

Thanks for the snippet. We can repro so hopefully we can fix this in an upcoming update.

• By Robin Laurence - 8:43 AM on December 2, 2014   Reply

Dear Sirs,

I can’t cope with this website of yours. Every time I try to get information on Photoshop and Lightroom via Adobe.com, I keep getting web pages in Spanish. Why? I am not Spanish. I don’t speak Spanish. I DON’T WANT SPANISH!!! Is this some kind of joke website, or a politically correct one designed to cater for the ever-growing hispanic minority in the US? Adobe.com is an English speaking website, – or it’s supposed to be. How can I get a wholly English speaking Adobe.com????????????

Sincerely and desperate,

Robin Laurence.

• By Jeffrey Tranberry - 12:00 PM on December 5, 2014   Reply

If you go down to the bottom left corner of Adobe.com and click on “Change Region” you can specify your country and language of origin.

• By Bijutoha - 8:41 PM on December 10, 2014   Reply

May I use “Photoshop sketch” in my Desktop? I mean is there any plugins to use it in Photoshop?

• By mahmoud - 4:16 PM on December 11, 2014   Reply

good

• By Serena S - 7:02 AM on December 12, 2014   Reply

On the “New Features Summary” page for this latest version of Photoshop, it says that:

“Assets are now clipped to document bounds by default. Photoshop Generator has also been updated to use this behavior by default.”

I’m not getting this to work. It is still saving out by assets cropped to the image on the layer. Is there something else I need to update? A setting I need to change? Any insight would be great as this would be a huge timesaver for us if we could get it to work.

• By Divya Manian - 1:03 PM on December 12, 2014   Reply

Hi Serena, this is only applicable when the layer is larger than the canvas. Then the asset generated is cropped to the canvas itself. If the layer is smaller than the canvas, then the asset generated is trimmed to the layer only and does not expand to the whole canvas.

• By Carlo Nicora - 1:05 PM on December 15, 2014   Reply

I just love the new updates. It feels just I have an extension of my hands but I think I need to upgrade my PC, it is really crawling like a worm..but I guess switching to Mac would solve the problem.

• By Roy Noyes - 2:17 PM on January 9, 2015   Reply

I am a photographer taking all my pictures in RAW format and saving them in .jpg. I am using Photoshop CS6. The default Save As format is always Photoshop *.PSD and I have to bring up the drop down menu and select .JPG. Can the menu be change to allow the user his/her preferred format? It is a pain to have to select a different format every time you save a photo.

• By R Aber - 7:53 PM on January 9, 2015   Reply

What about us Androids & PCs? Are there drawing, sketching, mobile and Ps/Lr photographic processing features for us within Adobe CC too?

• By Farcas Gelu Danut - 1:08 PM on January 10, 2015   Reply

Good work, tnx! 😉

• By suaysun - 7:53 AM on February 4, 2015   Reply

Thanks

• By dịch vụ kế toán - 1:22 AM on February 11, 2015   Reply

• By CJ - 8:09 PM on March 1, 2015   Reply

Thank you. for sharing this article. i already use PS Element PSCS6 on my macbook and i have hard time in rendering videos but in editing some picture it is easy to use.

• By Rod Arroyo - 11:00 AM on March 3, 2015   Reply

I am very pleased to have the Photographer’s version of creative cloud

• By best pellet gun - 11:18 AM on June 10, 2015   Reply

Loved the tutorial. Getting there with Photoshop but great stuff like this really helps.

• By dorian - 1:15 PM on October 22, 2015   Reply

I am sure that there are many updates in every new version, but most users are just using what they know. We’re not marketing professionals and artists, we do this as a hobby and honestly the old version is as good as any. The only downside is that I can’t use posters I’ve downloaded from ScaryPoster dot com, since they are not made for PSE. But if I had a PS CS4, (which is already more than I need) they would work perfectly

• By paykasa - 12:06 AM on May 17, 2016   Reply

If you are having any dificulty in understanding the product or you have any question, We encourage.

• By Paykasa Kart - 1:15 PM on February 9, 2016   Reply

Thanks for the snippet.

• By Yeliz - 11:01 AM on April 13, 2016   Reply

Older versions without fully resolved , it’s very difficult to adapt to the new version.

• By pencere demiri - 4:37 AM on April 18, 2016   Reply

• By Hurd Bar - 6:29 AM on May 13, 2016   Reply

Thank you so much for this useful tutorials .

• By Sonya - 6:30 AM on May 13, 2016   Reply

I was searching such tutorials . So many many thanks for sharing.

• By paykasa - 12:30 PM on May 24, 2016   Reply

• By Hội Quán Tiếu Lâm - 8:23 PM on June 3, 2016   Reply

Hội Quán Tiếu Lâm Mùa 2 – Tập 16 Chủ đề Về Quê là những câu chuyện thường nhật về cây lúa bờ ao, những câu chuyện ngày qua ngày khác không bao giờ dứt.

• By Good Morning - 7:23 AM on June 11, 2016   Reply

Very good tutorial

• By Quotes - 7:28 AM on June 11, 2016   Reply

• By Aaron J. Cunningham - 2:39 PM on June 12, 2016   Reply

so excited for all these updates.

• By viko - 7:07 AM on June 14, 2016   Reply

thanks for the article…

• By VS Bengali - 1:56 AM on August 24, 2016   Reply

Thanks for guiding Photoshop and Lightroom app

• By Karan Sharma - 1:59 AM on August 24, 2016   Reply

I was searching such tutorials . So many many thanks for sharing.

• By iphone 7 - 8:52 AM on September 1, 2016   Reply

nice one

• By Bina Yıkımı - 2:25 AM on September 3, 2016   Reply

Bina yıkımı ve bina yıkma hizmetleri tek bir noktada.

• By Alçıpan Ustası - 2:25 AM on September 3, 2016   Reply

alçıpan ustası ve asma tavan ustası.

• By Alçıpan Ustası - 2:26 AM on September 3, 2016   Reply

Thanks admin nice picture, great blog.

• By otopark yol çizgileri - 2:30 AM on September 3, 2016   Reply

admin two pictures hateful eight nice.

• By Çatı ustası - 2:45 AM on September 3, 2016   Reply

great adobe blog thanks admins.

• By Akash - 6:30 AM on September 7, 2016   Reply

Thank you for sharing this article. i already use PS Element PSCS6 on my macbook

• By Paykasa - 2:04 PM on September 7, 2016   Reply

thank you for share this post. i always follow this blog

• By Canlı Maç İzle - 11:40 AM on September 12, 2016   Reply

• By Halloween Wishes - 1:52 AM on September 14, 2016   Reply

• By Thanksgiving Wishes - 1:52 AM on September 14, 2016   Reply

Thank you for sharing this article.

• By Veterans Day Quotes - 1:53 AM on September 14, 2016   Reply

thank you for share this post. i always follow this blog

• By Columbus Day Quotes - 1:54 AM on September 14, 2016   Reply

thank you for share this post.

Join the discussion