Photoshop Blog

October 18, 2017 /Lightroom /Product News /

Introducing: Lightroom CC, Lightroom Classic CC and More

Today we introduced our brand new Lightroom CC on Mac/Win, and updates to Lightroom Classic CC, Lightroom on iOS and Android, Lightroom.adobe.com, as well as changes to the existing Creative Cloud Photography plan and a new Lightroom CC plan.

Not seeing Lightroom CC in the Creative Cloud desktop app? Sign out and sign back in to the Creative Cloud app to refresh available application updates.

What’s the Difference Between Lightroom and Lightroom Classic?

Going forward, the product you’ve known as Lightroom will be rebranded “Lightroom Classic CC”.  Why change? We have introduced a new photography service that will now be called “Lightroom CC”. It is designed to be a cloud-based ecosystem of apps that are deeply integrated and work together seamlessly across desktop, mobile, and web.  Lightroom Classic CC is designed for desktop-based (file/folder) digital photography workflows. It’s a well-established workflow solution that is distinct and separate from our new cloud-native service.  By separating the two products, we’re allowing Lightroom Classic to focus on the strengths of a file/folder based workflow that many of you enjoy today, while Lightroom CC addresses the cloud/mobile-oriented workflow.

What’s New in Lightroom Classic CC

As many of our customers know, Lightroom Classic (originally Lightroom) was born to help you manage your photography workflows and bring your images to life with a fleet of editing capabilities.  But while the palette of Lightroom features grew, our performance detracted from these gains.  So we took stock of where you were feeling the most performance anxieties, and dedicated this launch primarily to addressing these issues. The concerns that we gathered primarily centered around optimizing Lightroom Classic’s import and editing workflows.

Here are some of the highlights of where we have made gains that we have tested internally and are betting you will see:

• Application launch time
  • Preview generation including in Standard, 1:1 and Minimal previews
  • Import selection workflow with “Embedded & Sidecar” preview option (tips here)
  • Switching between Library and Develop Module
  • Moving from photo to photo in the Develop Module
  • Responsive brushing

For a complete listing of  “What’s New” in Lightroom Classic, click here.

We have also added new tools to make precise color and tone-based selections for Local Adjustments. You can now use the adjustment brush, radial, or graduated filters to define a rough mask, then refine the selection via the new Range Masking options found at the bottom of each Local Adjustment panel. This serves as a nice complement to meet your masking needs with the already existing auto mask feature in place.

Precise Selections with New Range Masking Tools

Check out some best practices here…and some useful video tips here.

While it was no small feat to carve out the foundation of making these performance gains, we know we still have a lot of work ahead. .  For instance, we are working to optimize the performance of higher powered processing systems and higher resolution monitors.  At the same time, we will continue to provide new image editing features that will help you pack more of a punch in a shorter period of time so that you can focus on what you love to do—taking incredible, awe-inspiring images.

What’s New in the Lightroom CC Ecosystem

Introducing Lightroom CC

The Lightroom CC ecosystem is a cloud-based service with three device-based apps: desktop, mobile and web.

Lightroom CC is designed and built around 3 guiding principles:

• Powerful Yet Simple—Lightroom CC will offer the powerful image editing that you want, while being simple and intuitive to use. Our goal is that it will have everything you need and nothing you don’t.
  • Seamless experience across all your devices—Lightroom CC will work the same across desktop, mobile, and web. This allows you to move across your devices without needing to relearn or figure things out. Your photos and edits are all where you’d expect them to be.
  • Cloud Based—Everything you do in Lightroom CC is synced to the cloud. This means that you can access and work with your photos from any device (including multiple computers), and can easily share photos with others. All of your photos and all of the work that you do with them will be automatically backed up all the time.

See here for useful video tips, and here for Lightroom CC FAQs.

Lightroom CC on Desktop (Mac/Win)

Lightroom CC on desktop is a completely new app for Mac and Win.  Lightroom CC is designed from the ground up to focus on photographers’ needs as they move between their devices and tap into the power of a cloud-based photo workflow.

Lightroom CC features a new interface that makes it easy to organize AND edit from the same streamlined experience.  Your original images, edits, and metadata is synced and stored in the Creative Cloud.  Once in the cloud, Lightroom CC taps into Adobe Sensei to automatically tag your images for search.

iOS and Android

Lightroom CC on mobile devices got a number of important new features today as well, and fully supports the Lightroom CC ecosystem, while continuing to support Lightroom Classic.

Along with Lightroom CC on the desktop, both iOS and Android gain the ability to search through all of your synced photos, leveraging the power of Adobe Sensei to automatically tag and keyword your images for you. Now you can find photos you’re looking for by searching for what is in the photos. You can also now add keywords that will sync with all Lightroom CC devices, helping you find images with those specific keywords later. And to help you organize your images, Lightroom CC on both Android and iOS lets you create and manage your albums into folders, making it easier to keep track of all of your albums of photos.

In this release, Lightroom CC on iOS has also been optimized for iOS 11. We’ve added in the ability to import from and export to iOS 11’s Files app, making it possible to access any photo that’s available within Files. On iPads running iOS 11, you can now take advantage of Drag and Drop to import your photos, including raw photos, from any other app directly into Lightroom CC.

On Android, we’ve optimized the app for the latest version of Android OS, Android O. You’ll also now be able to selectively enhance your photos with the Selective Brush. And finally, the app has been optimized for Chromebooks, with a new interface that provides an optimal editing experience for devices with keyboards, as well as trackpads and touch interfaces.

Web

Lightroom CC on the web continues to get more sharing tools, as well as a new Tech Preview.

The new Lightroom CC Gallery lets you add multiple albums to a single page that you can easily share with friends, family, and clients. Any images added into your albums will automatically show up in your gallery, and images will always reflect the latest edits, making it super simple to keep your gallery up to date.

For the past year, Lightroom CC on the web has offered a glimpse of new features and functionality coming to the Lightroom CC ecosystem, and today we’re excited to share yet another glimpse: Best Photos. The Best Photos tech preview stemmed from the desire to pick more quickly the best photos from a group without the long and sometimes monotonous task of sorting through a number of similar photos. Best Photos leverages a number of Adobe Sensei technologies to help automatically identify and group similar photos, pick the best photo from that group, and then select the best photos of each of the groups. This Tech Preview gives you a chance to play with some of the exciting new technologies that our researchers are working on and provide feedback on what you like, what you don’t like, and features that you’re wishing for.

TV

Rounding out the ecosystem, Lightroom for Apple TV was updated with a few new features to help make sharing your Lightroom photos in the comfort of your home even more enjoyable.

This update includes support for the latest tvOS’s dark mode, supports video playback within your albums, and lets you scroll through large collections of images even faster than before.

Lightroom 6

Lightroom 6 is the last standalone version of Lightroom that can be purchased outside of a Creative Cloud membership.  There will not be a Lightroom 7 perpetual offering.   Lightroom 6 will remain for sale for an undetermined amount of time, but will no longer be updated with camera support or bug fixes after the end of 2017.  Lightroom 6.13 with support for the Nikon D850 will be released on October 26, 2017.

Lightroom, Product News

Join the discussion

• By David - 6:10 AM on October 18, 2017   Reply

So many questions. For starters, if I prefer Lightrom Classic, will I lose the ability to use the cloud completely? My current iOS workflow is: take photos in Lightroom Mobile, and they magically appear in Lightroom Desktop. Will that still be possible with Lightroom Classic?

Also: it sounds like Lightroom CC is meant to be a place where your whole photo library lives. So how much space will we get for that? More than we used to? Any price change for the $10 Photo Only CC subscription?

• By Jeffrey Tranberry - 7:46 AM on October 18, 2017   Reply

Lightroom mobile syncing works the same in Lightroom Classic CC as it did in Lightroom CC 2015.

Lightroom CC supports original file syncing to the cloud (your original photos are now backed up) and it synchronization across desktops.

• By Jason - 2:01 PM on October 18, 2017   Reply

This is good to hear as Lightroom Classic will continue to be my primary solution as it does not appear Lr CC will fully satisfy the needs of a pro photographer (tethering, import and export presets, round trip editing in Photoshop, network backup and archive of original raw’s, etc.).

That said, Lr Mobile is still a critical app for syncing my desktop catalog to my mobile device to present my portfolio to others, as well as taking photos from the Lr Mobile camera on my mobile device and syncing back to the desktop catalog. So my point being that maintaining the existing capabilities around syncing my Lr Classic desktop catalog to Lr Mobile is critical.

This also introduces another question, does the new Lr CC app sync the same catalog that Lr Classic uses? In other words can I tag a collection in Lr Classic on my Mac to sync to Lr Mobile, and those images will appear in Lr CC, also on my Mac? If that’s the case it sounds like the new Lr CC is really just another version of Lr Mobile thats been ported for Mac / Windows.

• By Thomas Logan - 11:32 AM on October 21, 2017   Reply

I did not use Lr mobile in my previous workflow. I just acquired an iPad pro and want to start using it now as a place to download and cull images in the field, on the iPad. If I want to do this, I think I am clear that it will sync back to my NOW Lr Classic (desktop). However, since it’s been pointed out that Lr CC is esentially worthless for working pros vis-a-vis the online storage limits and broadband speeds… I want to know if you can delete the images from all “devices” and especially/obviously the cloud, once the photos you downloaded to your iPad have made the trip from iPad, to cloud, to your Desktop?

• By Dawn - 1:10 PM on October 24, 2017   Reply

Awesome and very useful content! Much appreciated!

• By Joshua Wyborn - 7:21 AM on October 18, 2017   Reply

AMAZING! As someone who jsut uses lightroom on my mac this is great! really nice to see masks getting clever too! 🙂 cannot wait to get this update and play around!

• By Tor Ivan Boine - 7:22 AM on October 18, 2017   Reply

when can we download Lightroom CC?

• By Jeffrey Tranberry - 7:40 AM on October 18, 2017   Reply

Now. Select “Check for Updates” from the Creative Cloud desktop app if you’re not seeing the update.

• By Michael Ricci - 8:05 AM on October 18, 2017   Reply

I am not getting an option in the creative cloud desktop app for the new lightroom cc. Lightroom classic and Photoshop both updated no problem.

• By Jeanne - 5:11 AM on October 27, 2017   Reply

I cannot seem to upgrade to the new Lightroom can anybody help me with this as I am paying for it now

• By Scott - 7:31 AM on October 18, 2017   Reply

So what are the space limitations and/or pricing of moving everything to the cloud? Some of us have HUGE libraries.

• By Tobias - 7:59 AM on October 18, 2017   Reply

Calling it “Classic” is kind of giving it away:
    Adobe considers it to be old, deprecated, and to be discontinued in 1-2 years.
    Otherwise, they would’ve called it “Pro”.

I have 1TB of photos. I have an upload speed of 2MBit/sec. It would take me 43.5 days(!) to upload all my photos to your “Cloud”.

Which I won’t, but because of another reason: I didn’t forget how badly you handled the passwords of all your users.
    Just imagine the same thing might happen again, yet this time giving access to everybody’s photos as well.

I’m sad, because I really liked Lightroom, which seems to be on its deathbed now.

• By Kevin - 10:10 PM on October 18, 2017   Reply

+1000 to what Tobias said. When I saw that the desktop version was going to be labeled “Classic”, my heart sank. It’s a not-so-subtle way to signal that this is something that won’t be around in a few years. I love and rely heavily on the desktop version as part of my professional workflow, and have zero desire to have my 4TB library transferred to the cloud.

I see no value in having all my original photos on a remote server. The benefit of having them effortlessly synced across devices is dwarfed by the inconvenience of it literally taking weeks or months to move an entire library. There are privacy issues on top of that, to say nothing of the ways cloud-based photo services are able to monetize this ocean of customers’ personal content. All our images, their metadata, location info, and faceprint data are completely exposed to them.

• By Ryan Hirschberg - 10:41 PM on October 19, 2017   Reply

Kevin, you communicated my thoughts and feelings about this fate of lightroom “classic” perfectly. I feel that most pro photographers will feel the same way as you. Cloud based workflow is great in theory, but really not workable for an entire pro photogrpher library. Especially when considering file sizes of medium format raw files and tiffs. And I sure as hell don’t want to have to keep two photo libraries organized. I can barely keep up with organizing one. Where was research and development in regards to professional image makers? Why not integrate lightroom cc into “classic”? I see the advantage of have some selected projects uploaded to the cloud in order to collaborate with out-sourced services, mobile devices, and client review. But I would like to select which projects to upload, WITHIN, the lightroom desktop applications seamlessly. I don’t need another piece of software to manage.

• By Kim - 2:24 AM on October 19, 2017   Reply

Yep I agree completely. Luckily there’s a whole bunch of good alternatives nowadays that are way, way faster than Lightroom anyway.

• By Ryan Hirschberg - 10:23 PM on October 19, 2017   Reply

Please tell us the alternatives that are way faster. Not too excited about switching to another application after years of lightroom organization, collections, and keywording. Really bad move adobe!

• By Robin Smidsrød - 3:46 AM on October 21, 2017   Reply

Can you name some of these good alternatives? Windows 10 user here…

• By Stepan - 7:40 AM on October 19, 2017   Reply

sharing your sentiment. “Classic” really hints at, we wont touch it that much anymore.
      + Uploading all photos (e.g. old reference, non-active photos) seems to me inefficient and not necessary.

• By Joyce Harman - 9:05 AM on October 26, 2017   Reply

This is a real bummer. I have used LR since 1.0, its how I work. I live the boondocks, uploading and working on the web for photos is just plain impossible. Satellite connection, pay for every GB data. Just to process 1 days full shooting would use my quota for a month. this may be fine for those with unlimited data uploads who live in the city. Remember, broadband in rural areas in the USA is a huge issue, it’s better in some third world countries. For many of us, this is totally unworkable. I have TB photos, it would be months to upload it all, and many photos I will never use. I guess I will be learning about all the new alternatives if Adobe chooses this path.

• By Matteo - 3:35 AM on October 21, 2017   Reply

Totally agree.
      Not to mention the rumor of having removed “Panorama” and “HDR” photo union!!

• By Otto - 2:17 AM on October 22, 2017   Reply

I also do not like this whole cloud nonsense; hopefully Adobe doesnt start the same nonsense as some years ago when they killed professional features in LR and had to withdraw a release.

• By Keith - 10:24 AM on October 23, 2017   Reply

“Lightroom 6 will remain for sale for an undetermined amount of time, but will no longer be updated with camera support or bug fixes after the end of 2017.  Lightroom 6.13 with support for the Nikon D850 will be released on October 26, 2017.”

That’s it. This is how they kill it off.

• By Andreas - 2:58 AM on October 24, 2017   Reply

Please tell us about your future plans. Is classic an idea for 2-3 years?

I´m very disappointed.

• By Norbert - 8:03 AM on October 18, 2017   Reply

Just downloaded Lightroom CC and it looks like it doesn’t allow me to choose the camera profile but uses “Adobe Standard” for all raws. There’s the same issue with Lightroom Mobile which is the single reason for me to not use it as my Sony’s colors just look crappy unless the “Camera standard” profile is selected.

Or am I missing something?

• By Neil G - 1:54 PM on October 18, 2017   Reply

I don’t think that they will deprecate Lightroom Classic. Infact, there are some really welcome improvements on performance that I am seeing which shows Adobe’s commitment towards the many photographer who use Lightroom Classic for their daily needs. Seems like the new Lightroom CC desktop app was introduced for more of the hobbyist or amateur user to quickly edit photos. I do agree that the messaging and naming is confusing. I would have liked Lightroom Classic to be called “Pro” as well.

• By Norbert - 10:51 PM on October 19, 2017   Reply

I agree. But the availability of Lightroom Classic doesn’t seem to change the fact that at least my RAW files look worse in Lightroom CC than they do in other tools like Apple Photos. So, talking about subscription fees, it seems that I basically paid for the development of a cloud based iPhone photo editor.

• By Seefortyone - 1:03 AM on October 21, 2017   Reply

Yeah, lack of camera calibration is something I really hate about the mobile version. I heard there are some ways around it, but they should surely just make it standard for people who are processing raws and care about the output.

• By Pertti - 8:05 AM on October 18, 2017   Reply

I’m stuck on a yearly photography plan, will there be an upgrade option to take advantage of the 10tb cloudstorage? It’s currently on 20gb and that doesn’t really seem usable for this new way of synching everything, which seems quite amazing I have to admit.

• By Megan - 8:09 AM on October 18, 2017   Reply

Well I love this! When will the update be available? When I log into lightroom a pop-up window tells me there’s an update but when I go to updates nothing appears. Am I too early?

• By Nicholas Birkett - 8:12 AM on October 18, 2017   Reply

With the new ‘CC (ecosystem)’ version, can you still retain your photos on a local drive and not upload all of them to the web? I don’t need 1,000’s of draft/poor images on the web – just the ‘keepers’. I know that Classic can do this but, given the name change, it likely won’t be around within one or two upgrade cycles.

• By Stepan - 7:42 AM on October 19, 2017   Reply

I am also curious about that

• By Keith - 10:25 AM on October 23, 2017   Reply

Also very interested in that tiny detail! I only have one computer anyways…and it’s backed up already.

• By Akes - 8:15 AM on October 18, 2017   Reply

That’s a really sad sad sad story “Lightroom 6 is the last standalone version of Lightroom” 🙁 Subscription based model is just too expensive. 🙁

• By Bastian - 3:21 AM on October 19, 2017   Reply

Very sad indeed. For me as a user as of the first version it is the death nail. I’ll be finally looking into other options to handle my private hobby. One thing is for sure, it won’t be anything locking me into monthly payment covering additional software I don’t use.
      If it wasn’t for the poor performance after upgrading to a powerful machine (!) I’d be sitting this out longer – exactly the reason I originally bought the perpetual license. Now at least I know I don’t need to wait for a Lightroom solution that will never come. So thanks the clarity finally.

• By Jan H. - 12:28 PM on October 18, 2017   Reply

I just updated my Lightroom 6.12 to Lightroom Classic and now I cannot use the software anymore (I could use it now for a 7 days test period).
    This is unacceptable!
    If you (Adobe) decide that the support of Lightroom 6.x ends now, it is fine. But you cannot suggest an update for a software that is infact a replacement of this software by a new software that I have to buy.

• By Yuan - 6:21 PM on October 18, 2017   Reply

Same here! Totally agree. At least Adobe should mention somewhere you have to pay a new bill after the update. Now I have to download the old version..

• By iAnonymous - 1:33 PM on October 19, 2017   Reply

Lightroom Classic seems to be like Office 2016. If you buy perpetually, you forfeit the benefit of being continuously supported. You basically get the version you bought, and any updates Adobe is gracious enough to grace you with. Other than that, the only continuously supported version, is that purchased as part of a subscription plan.

Microsoft does the exact same thing with Office 2016 – the perpetual license users basically get no new features or anything… Only bug/security fixes and service packs, and basically have to upgrade to the next “version” to inherit them at a cost. You can’t do that much with Lightroom, seeing as version 6 how it’s the last version of the standalone product.

• By Andrew Betke - 12:42 PM on October 18, 2017   Reply

I’m confused… is the new Lightroom CC included in the All Apps plan or not? Some of the introduction videos refer to the Lightroom CC plan and the Photography plan, but in the keynote today I thought the presenter said it is included in All Apps plan. Can you clarify?

• By Jeffrey Tranberry - 1:05 PM on October 18, 2017   Reply

Hi Andrew, Lightroom CC is included with the All Apps plan and includes on 100gb of storage with that particular plan.

• By And - 1:01 PM on October 18, 2017   Reply

Wich plan covers full resolution export photos on iPad?

• By Jeffrey Tranberry - 1:15 PM on October 18, 2017   Reply

All plans that include Lightroom CC will upload original files to the cloud. (Lightroom Classic CC only uploads smaller Smart Previews)

• By j.goforth - 2:20 PM on October 18, 2017   Reply

How are professional photographers expected to use this new Lightroom? I have something in the range of 300k photos that take up something like 5TB. My lightroom catalog file itself is over 4GB. For that amount of space, the plans you provide are no where near economical. I am currently paying $120/year for LR/PS plus a new harddrive for $120ish every 18 months or so. The new plan asks me to pay $1200/year for the same thing. Nope! As for classic, it certainly seems like it is getting short-shafted by the development focus being on cloud stuff. This is the first “major” release of lightroom desktop in several years and there are not any truly new functionality. The listed performance improvements would have to be revolutionary to be sufficient and yet to described them as “betting you will see”. That doesn’t not inspire much confidence.

• By Kiril - 2:35 PM on October 18, 2017   Reply

Can I use the new lightroom cc on the go to transfer raw files from my Sony camera over usb or WiFi to the cloud using Samsung galaxy note or iPad?

I mean that ideally I should not need laptop while traveling and I will be able to save my pictures in raw in the cloud. Ideally I would be able to do some touch up on phone or tablet and publish too.

Does it all work? What are the supported cameras, phones, tablets?

• By Bryan Gray - 2:43 PM on October 18, 2017   Reply

Can I use the two on the same system, sharing the same catalogue?

• By Jason - 2:49 PM on October 18, 2017   Reply

what song was used by Maria Yap today at MAX when they were playing the sizzle video for Lightroom CC? Shazam can’t find it.

• By Peter Obermeier - 2:56 PM on October 18, 2017   Reply

I think it is a great improvement in the iPad to iMac Workflow and back, because of Keywords and search. Even you do not have keywords it checks your pictures.
    But the sync of the entered keywords is not working or not working 100%. Ok, it is version 1 and all are jumping on the update.
    Do you see this sync issue as well ?
    PS: Yes, Naming CLASSIC is very confusing.

• By Sakari Karipuro - 3:02 PM on October 18, 2017   Reply

So, what’s the preferred workflow now with this new LR CC? Storage options are way too small for any serious stuff, because they are too small for even a hobbyist like me, even the 2TB option (and that option is too expensive for me – and wouldn’t even fit my all photos). How do I download my files and then remove them from Cloud for some real backup options like multiple hard drives and possible other off-site solutions in case the storage is full? I think I’d rather use this new version for local edits because it’s so fast compared to the classic and forget all the cloud stuff, because they are not useful for me (i only edit on one computer anyway). For this the CC should not need to use the import feature at all, i’d do it with classic, as it’s so flexible and powerful for that (i use all the import features, renaming with folders, develop presets, metadata presets, keywords andd so on). Just would need to know which folder to open for edit and go. or it would be super to be able to open collections from classic, that would be killer.

• By Wolfgang - 3:07 PM on October 18, 2017   Reply

Synching keywords between Lightroom Classic and Lightroom CC does not work reliably. Adding a keyword in Lightroom Classic to a picture that is synched to Lightroom CC/Mobile does not cause the keyword to appear on Lightroom CC on my iPad/iPhone and vice versa, adding a keyword on Lightroom CC does not make it appear in Lightroom Classic. The new keyword does show up on all Lightroom CC “devices” (i.e. iPad, iPhone, Desktop version of LR CC, Web LR). Looks like a bug to me.
    I was looking forward to being able to keyword pictures on LR Mobile. But if these keywords don’t show up on my LR Classic main catalog this does not help at all 🙁

• By Henry - 3:31 PM on October 18, 2017   Reply

Will the new Lightroom CC app support Export or Publish Service plugins? Currently it looks like there is only support for sending to Facebook. What about other services (Flickr, SmugMug, DPHOTO, etc)?

• By Dr Philip Barclay - 3:49 PM on October 18, 2017   Reply

Are there any plans to integrate Lightroom storage with Microsoft One Drive? I currently store all of my photographs on an external drive, with a back up copy in One Drive. I have 5 TB of storage in One Drive so it is ideal as an archive. However, I can’t currently put my Lightroom folder into One Drive. If Lightroom CC could do this, that would be great.

• By Emma Thurgood - 9:59 PM on October 20, 2017   Reply

I have all of my Raws on an external hard drive, but my catalogue and all the final exports are on One Drive. I believe the program files themselves are on my computer’s actual drive. I was able to choose One Drive as the location I wanted my 2017 catalogue to be from.

• By john i - 4:16 PM on October 18, 2017   Reply

So much for the promise of future perpetual versionS you made when LR5 and CC. I guess you meant to write version, singular. Oh well, time to leave Adobe completely now.

• By Ian Lipchak - 4:44 PM on October 18, 2017   Reply

Having just recently purchased Lightroom 6 I am rather disappointed to learn today that it will no longer be supported or updated in just a few months. Can I get a refund?

• By iAnonymous - 1:38 PM on October 19, 2017   Reply

You got what you paid for, so no… Perpetual licensed versions were never supported as well, anyways. It is similar to Office 2016 Perpetual vs. Office 365.

Any upgrade with major new features likely would have been done in a few “version” of the product, which would have allowed a perpetual license holder to upgrade.

This makes the subscription not much more expensive than the perpetual licenses, but worth it because of the fact that it gets continued development and better support than the perpetually licensed versions.

• By Kathleen Nelson - 6:21 PM on October 18, 2017   Reply

I’m so confused and disappointed in Adobe. I signed in to Creative Cloud and it doesn’t even show that I own LR Classic. It shows Photoshop Lightroom CC and a bunch of other stuff I could sign up for that I never even heard of. My feeling is that Adobe is going to phase out LR “Classic” and we’ll be left with LR CC which we will have to use on line and buy space for all not our photos. We’ve been loyal customers for years, but you aren’t being very loyal to us.

• By Sharon Van Lieu - 3:08 PM on October 19, 2017   Reply

I agree, Kathleen. This doesn’t look good.

• By Giovanni - 6:32 PM on October 18, 2017   Reply

Annoyed!
    Why wont you support Linux?!?!

FFS, if this is subscription & cloud based what is the problem?????????
    C’mon, Lightroom and Photoshop… thats all! Stop kissing Microsoft & Apple behind and get with the program

• By Janny - 7:11 PM on October 18, 2017   Reply

So, is Lightroom Classic CC supports the new Nikon D850 camera ?

• By Avery Crain - 7:21 PM on October 18, 2017   Reply

Why is is exporting the images so slow? Are there still many defects of the app.? This is on a Mac.

• By Josh T - 8:05 PM on October 18, 2017   Reply

You’ve essentially just assured a solid client base for whatever Lightroom competitor Affinity puts out in the near future. I sure hope your focus groups and profits-first approach to software development took into consideration what might happen if a viable competitor emerged for the first time in half a decade, which seems like what’s about to happen.

I know I’m super interested in whatever Affinity is cooking up right now, and I’d bet my next paycheck that they’ll have a way to import LR catalogs into their program. Oh, and I’ll also bet it won’t come with a forced subscription model.

• By Jordy Meow - 8:18 PM on October 18, 2017   Reply

Adobe, for once, did actually a good job here. In my case, I have all my photos on a NAS server at home (Synology, with online backups, CrashPlan and Amazon), so I will continue using the CC Classic version. It’s very fast to work on my photos when I’m home, but I also can work on them remotely (slower, but I guess that would be the same speed or worse using CC Cloud). But for the ones who don’t own a NAS or don’t have the time or skills to set it up, the CC Cloud is a perfect alternative, and it’s not expensive for what it actually is. My current set up and the CC Cloud are the two best choices now, I believe, and they are actually both really good. I would be curious to know if anybody does it differently?

If own (or want to create) a portfolio website based on WordPress and would like to sync it with your photos from Lightroom, you can also use the “WP/LR Sync” plugin. It works with those two versions and you can make a better portfolio website this way and for cheaper than the alternative Adobe products (Portfolio or web tools from LR).

• By Michael - 8:33 PM on October 18, 2017   Reply

still dog slow zooming, slideshow, most other stuff. only thing faster is scrolling photos in library mode.

• By Andrew Kavanagh - 9:11 PM on October 18, 2017   Reply

I just updated Lightroom Classic CC and I love how fast it is!
    Can I also install/update the new Lightroom CC that is for the cloud – without it interfering with the Lightroom Classic CC?
    Thanks!

• By Tim Sternberg - 9:25 PM on October 18, 2017   Reply

I am currently on a one year plan with Lightroom and Photoshop. Will the upgrade to Lightroom Classic be a free upgrade? Thanks in advance for your help.

• By ProDesignTools - 10:20 AM on October 23, 2017   Reply

Yes. All Adobe subscription plans including Lightroom can upgrade to the new versions of both Lightroom Classic and Lightroom CC, and use either or both.

• By Holger - 10:57 PM on October 18, 2017   Reply

I love lightroom but with your anouncement today you made serif happy.
    No subscription based software for me !!!
    CU

• By Peter - 1:09 AM on October 19, 2017   Reply

“Lightroom 6 is the last standalone version of Lightroom”

Bye Bye Adobe … Welcome OnOne

• By Ryan Hirschberg - 11:03 PM on October 19, 2017   Reply

Alien Skin is probably psyched as well. It is very interesting that they just released Exposure X3 this week, with the ability to create collections, keywording, and tagging.

• By Thomas Leibetseder - 1:23 AM on October 19, 2017   Reply

Lightroom CC vs. Classic is a nice add on however I can’t see the feature to export a CC Album back to the desktop app.
    I have now the CC photography plan with Lightroom (classic), PS CC and 20GB online storage.
    One single assignment may already exceed the 20GB limit so I will be forced to pay more for the 1TB option – OK but I prefer to edit on the go and store the pictures on my desktop catalog.
    Is there such an option to export from CC to Classic after editing?

• By Benjamin Kerensa - 1:34 AM on October 19, 2017   Reply

So Adobe’s app updater updated my LR6 to this class nonsense which is demanding I subscribe and now as a MacBook user with no disc drive I have no way to reinstall LR6 since this guide no long works. Someone from Adobe want to explain how I can get the product back that I paid for? https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/kb/serialize-lightroom-cc-trial-to-activate-as-lightroom-6.html

• By Raphael - 1:37 AM on October 19, 2017   Reply

Is it possible to import presets in Lightroom CC (the VSCO ones for example) ?

• By Gary F - 1:41 AM on October 19, 2017   Reply

Can I still store my Raw photos on a local or NAS storage and still get some of the cloud features? Or can I only do this with Lightroom Classic?

I have several TBs of Raw photos and don’t want all of them uploaded to the cloud. I have a perfectly good NAS with RAID + Backup already. I don’t want to rent expensive cloud storage when I already own the disks myself. Also it would also take weeks to upload those photos and (presumably) slow down imports.

• By Matthias - 2:17 AM on October 19, 2017   Reply

So, is Lightroom Classic CC included in the Lightroom CC Plan? Because I really don’t need Photoshop, but I really need the Classic client. And I certainly won’t spend twice the amount of what I used to pay just to get more than the measly 20GB (speaking of which, I also certainly won’t pay 4 times as much for the 2TB that I really need).

• By ProDesignTools - 10:28 AM on October 23, 2017   Reply

The new Lightroom CC (only) Plan does not include Lightroom Classic or Photoshop CC. The Photography plan includes all 3 apps.

• By Helge Lund - 2:40 AM on October 19, 2017   Reply

Hi,
    wouldn’t it be better to name the new version LR Pro and LR Sky??

• By Jun - 1:40 AM on October 20, 2017   Reply

No, that would imply Adobe still cared about the desktop version…..

• By Steve Gauld - 3:06 AM on October 19, 2017   Reply

Hi – Just updated to PS 2018 have not updated to LR CC Classic as yet. Notice that when exporting picture from LR CC (2017) to PS 2018 the “save” option in PS is greyed out & no longer avilable? “Save As” is available. Will “Save” become avalable afer I upgrde to CC Classic or not!!

• By Bill Jones - 7:58 AM on October 19, 2017   Reply

Does the all apps plan also include Lightroom Classic CC? I would prefer to keep my file/folder based processing.

• By ygyoon - 9:41 AM on October 19, 2017   Reply

Indeed, time to leave adobe finally…

• By Jim - 11:45 AM on October 19, 2017   Reply

What happened to my extensive keyword hierarchy? I have spent months tweaking that and it was the way I catalogued my images.

• By Jim - 11:49 AM on October 19, 2017   Reply

Where are my presets? And the Lightroom presets?

• By WJG - 12:35 PM on October 19, 2017   Reply

I believe Adobe is guilty of false advertising. I bought the LR6 specifically because it was a standalone, and for years, all Adobe would say is that they would not abandon that stand alone product line. I am just a hobbyist, I might only use LR once a month, maybe not at all, or every other day in a month. And right now with a broken camera, I am not really using it much at all right now.

I’ll have to buy either On1, Affinity, or CD. Or whoever producers the first LR library import.

• By Antoine Hawara - 2:28 PM on October 19, 2017   Reply

Thanks for finally providing me with a clear statement about your intentions for Lightroom 6, which expires in 2017. I was exploring other alternatives but still hoping for Lightroom 7, but with this latest news, I will be dropping Lightroom for another available no subscription-based software. Just sad after all these years with Lightroom.

• By Ken W - 2:48 PM on October 19, 2017   Reply

I have LR 5.7. Can I upgrade to LR Classic without having to purchase and load LR 6?

• By Mike Huff - 3:46 PM on October 19, 2017   Reply

Lots of great unanswered questions above. I hope some official answers come soon. I am very concerned with this approach and running my catalog in pure cloud mode is simply not feasible. I can potentially see a use case with the ability to seamlessly move in pages between CC and Classic but even then I’ll have to be very careful on storage. I have no desire to pay more for what I use today. Alternatives are sounding better and better with everything I read. As a user since the first release I hate to see it come to this.

• By TT DJI - 6:58 PM on October 19, 2017   Reply

Will lightroom 6 get updated again ?

• By lstjpn - 7:23 PM on October 19, 2017   Reply

In 2013 you promised the photography community that Lightroom would always been available to purchase as a standalone product with a perpetual license. Why now are you reneging on that promise? Would you Kindly explain why? All this will do is push people to other platforms as well as increase piracy. Too bad You and Adobe once again lied to us all.

• By Jan - 6:19 AM on October 20, 2017   Reply

“Lightroom 6 is the last standalone version of Lightroom that can be purchased outside of a Creative Cloud membership.”

==> Lightroom 6 is the last version of Lightroom for me. Bye bye Adobe.

• By Cezar - 7:55 AM on October 20, 2017   Reply

As someone who just uses Lightroom on my Mac this is great! I cannot wait to get this update and play around! 🙂

• By Ryan - 8:19 AM on October 20, 2017   Reply

Another case of a greedy manufacturer working to move everything to “the cloud” so that they can charge us more for less functionality. Time to start looking for a product where the manufacture cares about and understands their users.

• By Florisel - 12:34 PM on October 20, 2017   Reply

I am glad I came to check the discussion and read the concerns everybody has, because when I got the options to update to different products I was very confused. I do several photoshoots per week and in each session I take around 500 photos. So far, I have over 50,000 raw photos in my computer and external disk (5TB), which means that the 1TB included in my current subscription is too little for my needs and the cloud storage options are too expensive if you compare it with any other cloud storage out there such as Carbonite. Also, as other have already mentioned, I believe that the layout and features of the new LR CC are not for professional photographers, as they are intended to be a simplified workflow to be used on the go and by users that don’t need tons of more advanced editing. Having said all the above, I love LR and will continue to use the Classic version and will pray to God for Adobe to preserve it and update it continuously for many years to come.
    PS. I already contacted the Adobe Support team and they confirmed that if I wanted to use LR CC in full as my only editing application, I had to fully migrate my catalog (all my 50,000 photos) over to LR CC. There is the option of using both, but the catalogs would not speak to each other, so any edits done in LR CC would not be fed to LR Classic or viceversa, so I would have to manually duplicate my catalogs. Hope this answers some questions I read above.

• By Mike Bruschke - 1:38 PM on October 20, 2017   Reply

I have been a Lightroom user since version 1, now I’m looking for alternatives. Particularly naming the desktop version Lightroom “Classic” is a sign that you see the future Lightroom in the cloud version. If you can’t reassure your professional customers that the desktop version is here to stay, and won’t be discontinued in a few years in favor of an inconvenient, feature limited cloud version, I, and many other professional and amateur photographers, will cancel my Creative Cloud subscription. You’ve had a good run over the past years. It would be sad to see it all gone.

• By Anton Marchenkov - 1:08 PM on October 21, 2017   Reply

What about keywords? All of my DNGs are on the hard drive, working through the lightroom classic catalog. With lightroom CC synchronized smart previews, all changes are displayed, the info file can be changed. But with the keywords, the problem is they do not sync. If you enter words in Classic, they are not displayed in CC, and vice versa. Is there any way to fix this?

• By Ron - 1:21 PM on October 21, 2017   Reply

What happens to my Lightroom 6 installation if/when I upgrade to Lightroom Classic?

What about synchronization between Lightroom Classic and Lightroom CC – is there any?

Thanks.

• By mopperle - 2:20 AM on October 22, 2017   Reply

Is it possible to run LR CC and LR Classic CC in parallel?

• By Felix - 7:07 AM on October 22, 2017   Reply

Another downgrade. Again. :-/
    The option for making shared collections downloadable has been removed.
    You „new“ Lightroom has less features and the „classic“ seems to be dying soon, as you already had Version 6 dying now.
    All your company is been focus on is profit, nothing else.

Still no smart collections for your synchronisation options? Why should I give them up for syncing across multiple devices? Why are you still not able to implement this silly feature?

• By Ken Hanson - 12:00 PM on October 22, 2017   Reply

So sad that Adobe will only provide LR by subscription – I guess we all suspected they would do that. I know many are CC subscribers but I, for one, don’t like the idea of having to pay and pay and pay, even if I am not editing photos in any given month. And if I stopped paying, I couldn’t view past photos with the edits I painstakingly made unless I had exported them. Rubbish!

• By Rob - 6:40 PM on October 22, 2017   Reply

Hi – Any word on plugins? Can they no longer be used?

• By Joel Cure - 4:44 AM on October 23, 2017   Reply

The Option key doesn’t seem to do anything in the new Lightroom CC on my iPad. None of its actions while adjusting sliders on my PC or MacBook Pro seem to “happen” when I perform the same actions on my IPad Pro. Any advice? Am I doing something wrong or is this functionality not available on IOS?

• By Janice Braud - 8:43 AM on October 23, 2017   Reply

Question: When using Lightroom Classic CC, will I still be able to exit to Photoshop CC (updated version) for panoramas, etc – and then have it autoimport back into Lightroom as it does now?

• By Mike - 2:16 PM on October 26, 2017   Reply

Too bad. I am just a private enthusiast and I have a policy of being very careful with subscription services. Even when cheaper than one-off purchases. My use of Lightroom will end here, unless there is another traditional perpetual license version. I am in no hurry to switch, but I will not sign up for Lightroom CC – classic or not. Goodbye.

• […] if I am interested in upgrading?   Yes. We highly encourage you to try out Lightroom Classic to get the additional performance benefits and feature enhancements launched recently and to come. If you are interested in trying out Lightroom Classic, while still […]

• By Emma Broadleaf - 4:03 AM on October 27, 2017   Reply

Yet another reminder of why everyone says that very few professionals use Lightroom for anything. Congratulations, you’re Aperture for the mobile generation. Some of us will keep using Lightroom 6, 7, and Classic for a while, but eventually none of us will really want to keep using Lightroom when we have to use so many other programs anyway. You could have had us but you abandoned us all years ago.

• By Chris - 7:40 PM on October 27, 2017   Reply

Hi, I’d planned to get Lightroom (now Lightroom Classic) for various reasons:
    1. My previous program Aperature no longer satisfies (and is no longer supported)
    2. Lightroom works in a similar fashion to Aperature.
    3. Appears to be the sector standard and popular.
    4. Appears to be immediately user-friendly (more so than the full-version Photoshop)
    5. A recent photo course that used it confirmed it was the right one for me.
    6. I really like the opportunity to have the adjunct to/inclusion of Photoshop – that seemed to be ideal, the best of two worlds.
    7. The pricepoint was attractive: my colleagues pay a little over $100 (ie $120/$130) a year for Lightroom + Photoshop package. I was hoping to get the same.

I am so disappointed with this latest development.
    I do not want to store any images in the Cloud – I prefer to have them on standalone and backed up HDs.

Please tell me I can get the Lightroom (Classic) + Photoshop package that my colleagues have.

Regards
    Chris

• By Jacek - 1:20 AM on October 31, 2017   Reply

For now? Without HSL, and export options it’s useless for me. And where are the colors for photo selection? I don’t like flags or stars!!!

• By Olivier - 7:57 AM on October 31, 2017   Reply

Bye-bye Lightroom….
    Lightroom 6 will be my last Adobe product. That’s really a shame to switch to suscription only.

• By Mike Marko - 9:45 AM on November 3, 2017   Reply

I don’t think this is the best latest development. I think it’s useless.

• By whatsapp 2018 for apk - 1:02 AM on November 5, 2017   Reply

These are AMAZING…..Thanks for sharing!

• […] announced a new product last week, Lightroom CC, and some changes to an old one, now called Lightroom Classic. This effectively […]

• By Alex - 10:02 PM on November 6, 2017   Reply

Wow, that was illiterate.

I no longer understand how to move images from Lightroom to Photoshop… please help.

• By Mark - 3:04 AM on November 7, 2017   Reply

Why have such a confusing naming setup!? Call the new product Cloudroom or something like that.

• By Dissapointed - 8:00 AM on November 7, 2017   Reply

So I decided to give this a try and buy the CC subscription. Go to download the Lightroom CC installer to my Windows 2012 Server that has all my photos.. not a supported OS. Why oh why is an OS restriction on the installer!? Its the same core OS as windows 8. Guess this is getting cancelled 15 minutes after it was purchased. Good job Adobe….

• By Dan - 8:16 AM on November 7, 2017   Reply

I have to admit to being confused as to when Lightroom stopped being primarily for photo editing and started being a workflow tool.

• […] 18th October on the Adobe blog and at the MAX conference in Las Vegas: Adobe has made major updates to the Lightroom family of […]

Join the discussion