Today, Adobe announced the availability of Creative Cloud and Creative Suite application subscriptions, which includes Photoshop. We’re extremely proud of this release. Photoshop CS6 & Photoshop CS6 Extended are really your releases, with over 65 user inspired enhancements that were added to Photoshop CS6 as a result of your feedback and input. If you haven’t experienced the magic and productivity enhancements in CS6 for yourself, you can see what’s new by downloading and trying out our products as free 30-day trials.
What’s more Photoshop Touch for iPad and Android tablets has been updated to version 1.2. This new release offers Photoshop Touch in five new languages and also contains several enhancements, including support for higher resolution images and auto syncing with the new Creative Cloud.
Earlier this week, I shared some tips for getting started with Photoshop CS6 which included important information on uninstalling the Photoshop CS6 beta , so you can quickly dive in and explore all the new features packed in this release. As Chief Customer Advocate, I have also been monitoring conversations across our social channels and forums and wanted to address some questions in this post about this news.
Addressing Your Questions About the Cloud
I wanted to clear up some confusion I’ve seen around the Creative Cloud concept. If a subscription to Photoshop or Creative Cloud (and all the Creative Suite Master Collection) doesn’t make sense for your needs, you can continue to purchase Photoshop and a Creative Suite of your choice the way you always have – as a perpetual license as either a boxed copy installable from DVD or as a download from Adobe.com. Creative Cloud and subscription versions of Photoshop are merely new options for users.
Also note, “Creative Cloud” doesn’t mean that you need to log onto the Internet and run Photoshop and other Creative Suite applications in a browser/in the “Cloud.” Photoshop and other Creative Suite applications will continue to be downloaded and installed on your system to take full advantage of your laptop or desktop hardware.
Benefits of the Creative Cloud & Subscriptions
Moving to the Creative Cloud or subscriptions is yet another way for people to access Photoshop and there are some flexible options to take advantage of. For instance, you might own a business, want predictable expenses and always want access to the latest version. You hire temporary workers or need access to our applications on a project by project basis. Or you’re a new user or are starting a business and don’t want to invest up front in a traditional perpetual license. These licenses also allow for the following:
- Cross Platform License – Access to both the Mac OS and Windows versions of the desktop applications and the ability to install them on your primary computer and one backup computer.
- Multi-Language License – Access to any language version in which the CS6 and other desktop applications are available. Unlike owning the traditional licensed version of a Creative Suite product, Creative Cloud membership gives you the freedom and flexibility to choose whichever language works best for you in any given application.
Student & Teacher Editions
Subscriptions also may make more sense if you’re a student who needs access to our products for a semester or a short period of time for a specific class. Qualified students and teachers get an amazing discount on Adobe software, including Photoshop CS6 and the Creative Cloud. Here are some resources to get you started if you’re a student or teacher:
- Eligibility Guide for education purchasing
- Who is eligible?
- What is needed for proof of eligibility? Please note: If you use your school issued email address <firstname.lastname@example.org> from a qualified institution during the process, the validation is instant and no other documentation is needed. If you have to submit documents it may take up to three business days to receive confirmation of your proof of eligibility. You may download your product and choose trial mode while awaiting validation confirmation. You may use the product for up to 30 days in trial mode – then simply enter your serial number once it arrives.
- Education store FAQ | North America
Photoshop Touch 1.2 Update
The Touch Apps are also a part of the Creative Cloud offering and the Photoshop Touch 1.2 update is also now available. Photoshop Touch 1.2 can be downloaded from both the iTunes App Store and Google Play.
Higher Resolution Images
While some other iPad apps can support very large images, what Photoshop Touch can do is very different. Photoshop Touch works with up to 16 full-size layers in a single file, all in real-time. Because this uses much more memory than a single layer, we constrained the max size of images to 2.5 megapixels (1600×1600) megapixels with 16 layers. Many people want to work on higher-resolution images, and with this update you can choose to raise that limit to 4.2 megapixels (2048×2048) with 10 layers. Look for the option in Preferences.
Creative Cloud Integration
If you thought the Creative Cloud integration in Photoshop Touch 1.1 was great, you will love this new feature! After signing in to the Creative Cloud, you have the option to turn on automatic synchronization with Creative Cloud. That means that any time you create or modify a project file, it will automatically sync back to the Creative Cloud. In the future, the Creative Cloud Connection app will automatically sync the .PSDX file back to your desktop or laptop, where you can continue working on the project in Photoshop CS5 or CS6.
More New Features to Enjoy
- Added export to PSD and PNG via Camera Roll or email
- Improved rotate and flip image workflow
- Added ability to transfer images to desktop via iTunes
- Added new Tutorials and Effects
Photoshop Touch is now also available in 6 languages (English, French, German, Japanese, Spanish, Italian). Look for more languages coming soon.