Today we’re announcing the immediate availability of new Photoshop CC features for Creative Cloud members. This update to Photoshop CC (version 14.1) includes an exciting new technology, Adobe Generator, which allows new workflows, especially for web designers, screen designers, and anyone who needs to extract image assets out of a Photoshop document.
Real-time Image Asset Generation
Generator allows you to create image assets in real time as you work, eliminating the tedious steps of copying, slicing and exporting each layer manually, and saving you hours of time. Simply add a file extension to the name of your layer or layer group, and Photoshop will automatically create a JPG, PNG or GIF from the contents of that layer. If you make a change to that layer, the file is immediately updated. This means that you now have a folder of images that are always up-to-date with your Photoshop design.
If you need larger dimension images for Retina displays, you can also quickly create those by adding a scaling factor.
To turn on this functionality, go to File -> Generate -> Image Assets. Now all you have to do is rename the layers or layer groups you want to export. Here are some examples of supported tags:
- .png (Default value: png32 with semi-transparent alpha), .png8, .png24, .png32
- .jpg (Default value: 9), .jpg(1-10), .jpg(1-100%)
- 1-n%, (Number) px x (Number) px for scaling
Here are some examples of how tags can be used:
- “200% logo-retina.png, logo.png” produces both a 2x and a 1x asset
- “heroImage.jpg10” produces a 1x asset with max quality
- “400% tuningfork.png, 250×250 tuningfork.jpg40%” produces a 4x PNG asset and a custom-scaled JPEG asset
Adobe Edge Reflow CC Connectivity
Generator also enables a real-time connection between Photoshop and Edge Reflow, the responsive web design application available as part of Creative Cloud. This connection allows you to get assets from your Photoshop document into Edge Reflow with just one click, so you can get started on your responsive design right away.
Open Source, Interoperable Technology
For more info about The Engine Co. and their Loom engine, go to http://www.LoomSDK.com
This update also includes many other improvements to Photoshop, including enhancements to Color Range options, Isolation mode, and path selection, as well as native PSDX support (read-only) and 32-bit image support for many more filters. See here for a full list of these and other performance improvements and bug fixes.
How to get the Update
1. Look for the update in the Creative Cloud application and click “Update”.
2. If you don’t have the Creative Cloud application running, start Photoshop and choose Help > Updates.
3. The Adobe Application Manager will launch. Select Adobe Photoshop CC and choose Update.
How to confirm that the Update worked
1. In Photoshop, choose Help > About Photoshop (Win), or Photoshop > About Photoshop (Mac)
2. The version at the top should be Version: 14.1
Give us feedback!
Once you’ve updated to the newest version of Photoshop and experimented with Generator, don’t forget to leave us feedback about your experiences. Photoshop wouldn’t be what it is today without the loyal community of regular customers who help us find and fix common issues. If you keep talking to us, we’ll keep listening.
Here are a few ways that you can send us feedback about Generator: