FDS Plugin V2

I am please to say V2 of my FDS Plugin is now available for download on the Flex Exchange. Thanks to all those who took the time to downloaded the BETA and for reporting the bugs you found. In particular the following bugs have been fixed:

• The plugin will now run with Java 1.4.
  • The paths in the project are correct on Mac OS X.
  • The ‘user_classes’ folder is now included in the project classpath.
  • If you compile locally the Web Tools Plaform WAR export will now include the Flex generated files (e.g. *.swf) and the Flex source files if selected.

What’s new?

The dependancy on Flex Data Services (FDS) has now been externalized. This means you need to have FDS installed on your machine. You will find a new preferences page in Eclipse (Window > Preferences > Flex Data Services > FDS Installations) where you can configure the installation location of FDS.

FDS Preferences

The new project wizard now has a configuration page, which you can use to configure your FDS project.

Project Config

In particular it adds an option to compile your application locally in Flex Builder, which should help improve your development velocity. In the past it only supported compile on server, which it continues to support. However, I would strongly urge against using this option as I have found it to be troublesome when you are debugging as Flex Builder won’t always find the source.

12 Responses to FDS Plugin V2

1. Pekka Toppi says:

Hi,I’ve been using the plugin for a FDS project and so far it’s been working great, as I’ve only been reading data from the server. However, when I try to commit changes to the server, I get the following error:[RPC Fault faultString=”Unable to access UserTransaction in DataService.” faultCode=”Server.Processing” faultDetail=”null”]at mx.data::ConcreteDataService/http://www.adobe.com/2006/flex/mx/internal::dispatchFaultEvent()at mx.data::CommitResponder/fault()at mx.rpc::AsyncRequest/fault()at ::HTTPMessageResponder/HTTPChannel.as$39:HTTPMessageResponder::resultHandler()at ::HTTPMessageResponder/completeHandler()at ::ChannelRequestLoader/::callEventCallback()at ::ChannelRequestLoader/::completeHandler()at flash.events::EventDispatcher/flash.events:EventDispatcher::dispatchEventFunction()at flash.events::EventDispatcher/dispatchEvent()at flash.net::URLLoader/flash.net:URLLoader::onComplete()According to the Adobe Technote (http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/knowledgebase/index.cfm?id=6b82874f), this is caused by a faulty JOTM configuration. I know how to set it up when running Tomcat normally, but how do you set up the required xml configuration files for the embedded tomcat?I tried creating the catalina/localhost-directory inside the “Tomcat v5.5 Server @ localhost-config” directory that contains the other configuration files and then created the required application-specific xml configuration file inside the new directory. This didn’t seem to work, as I still got the same error as before. Should I set some project-specific settings to load the XML files? The JAR-libraries seem to be included in the server’s classpath so that should not be a problem.Pekka

2. Pekka Toppi says:

Hi,I actually found a solution just a few minutes after posting this comment.. Should research more before asking questions :)However, if anybody else is facing the same problem, try adding a context.xml-file to the root of your configuration directory. Then edit it so it looks like this:<Context><Transaction factory=”org.objectweb.jotm.UserTransactionFactory” jotm.timeout=”60″/></Context>Now every FDS application you run inside the embedded Tomcat server should have the proper JOTM support enabled without creating any app-specific configuration files.

3. Reto says:

Sorry, but the download doesn’t work for me. Could you check please, I am waiting eagerly for this Plug-in.ThanksReto

4. fabio says:

Hi everybody,i’m facing a real funny problem with modules and moduleLoader, i hopeit’s not my fault anyway…If i create a normal flex project with fBuilder, i’m able to usemodules in a lot of different ways (as mxml, as as in a function etc..)…but if i try to use them in my fds application (created with fdseclipse plugin) i can’t use modules. The compile-time error message isalways the same:Could not resolve to a component implementationI tried a lot of solutions, paying attention to import all the classesetc…but nothing change.I will appreciate everykind of help.

5. Elias Balasis says:

Congratulations again Peter Martin.You have done great work with this plug-in although I see that Adobe is still using absolute file paths for both .actionScriptProperties and .flexProperties files.In more detail, .actionScriptProperties accepts ${DOCUMENTS} variable but replaces any occurence of it with absolute paths when modified from the project properties dialogwhile.flexProperties does not accept ${DOCUMENTS} at all.I am thus still forced to check-out my Flex projects to same location otherwise they do not work.Please propose to the Flex Developer team to include this feature in the next Flex Builder release. It would be quite useful.

6. Mete Atamel says:

Hi Peter, is there a problem with FDS installations functionality? It works when you first specify your FDS installation but once you restart Eclipse and create a new project, FDS installation gets reset, I think.

7. Peter,According to Help -> About Eclipse -> Plug-in Details I have v2.0.0.200702152022 of “Flex Enterprise Builder” installed. Is that the latest version of your plug-in?Cheers,Graeme

8. ninguno says:

Hi! I can’t found this plugin in Adobe Exchange, anybody knows why? Thanks!

9. sign says:

does the V2 of this plugin work with FLEX 3?regards

10. Manu says:

Peter, if I use your plugin on a new Dynamic Web Project I get:C:\dev\app_servers\jboss-4.0.5.GA\server\default\tmp\deploy\tmp26760MyProject-exp.war\WEB-INF\flex\flex-config.xml(84): Error: unable to open ‘./user_classes’An hard coded location works though. Why is this?Regards,Manu

11. kutti says:

haiplz send me the 2 jar files.1.flex-bootstrap-jsp.jar2.flex-webtier-jsp.jarneed very urgentwith regardskutti

12. jingwei says:

hi peter, the plugin can’t be found in Adobe Exchange. Could you please check? Thanks a lot!