Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 (5.0.3) update: performance improvements, bug fixes, and Quadro 5000M and 4000 CUDA support
Today, the Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 (5.0.3) update was released.
If Adobe Application Manager hasn’t already told you about this, go ahead and check for new updates for Premiere Pro CS5. Ideally, you should check for updates by choosing Help > Updates. But you can also directly download the update packages from the download pages for Windows or Mac OS, using the “Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 5.0.3 update” link. If you use the manual process, you must choose the correct patcher based on your original installation type.
If you have difficulty with this update, please bring questions and issues to the Adobe Premiere Pro forum. Don’t ask questions in the comments on this blog post, which fewer people will see.
There are a lot of bug fixes and some changes in capabilities in this update. This article gives the the generally relevant information. You can read more details in the Adobe Premiere Pro 5.0.3 release notes. Also, note that this update includes all fixes and changes made in the Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 (5.0.2) update.
new and changed features
Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 (5.0.3) adds support for the following graphics cards to accelerate processing using CUDA technology on the GPU:
- Quadro 5000M (Windows only), which is for mobile (i.e., laptop) computers
- Quadro 4000 for Mac OS (The Windows version was enabled by the Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 (5.0.2) update.)
For a complete list of graphics cards for which the CUDA acceleration features are provided and supported, see the Premiere Pro system requirements page. For more information about CUDA acceleration of processing and the Mercury playback engine in general, see Premiere Pro Help.
Note that we were able to find and fix a lot of these problems because of the great feedback that we got when we asked people to use the crash reporter. Please keep doing so. And don’t hesitate to file bugs and send feature requests.
Here’s a partial list of bug fixes in this update:
- Improved stability of capturing on Windows.
- Improved performance for interactions with user interface for effects.
- Improved performance of editing in long sequences containing transitions.
- QuickTime movies containing video encoded with Animation or ProRes codecs caused long delays or hangs if the Cineform importer was installed. This is fixed.
- Custom action-safe guides were shifting position during direct manipulation. This is fixed.
- Double-clicking a title opened the Source Monitor panel instead of the Titler panel when the Project panel was in Icon view. This is fixed.
- MXF files with 4:2:0 color subsampling created by a Nexio system can now be imported by the XDCAM HD importer.
- Fixed issues regarding indexing of MPEG files, including unresponsive UI during indexing and some cases of unnecessary re-indexing of media shared across a network.
- Dissolves were not behaving correctly when processed by CUDA when opacity keyframes were present. This is fixed.
- The Crop effect was being rendered incorrectly when processed by CUDA when the clip was scaled to frame size. This is fixed.
- Rendering of previews got stuck in a never-ending loop state under some circumstances. This is fixed.
- Audio was not exported via SDI when exporting to tape. This is fixed.
- Master clips imported into projects using Final Cut Pro XML import were stripped of their unique identifiers. This is fixed.
other software updates known to address problems with Premiere Pro
We have also been working with several providers of plug-ins, codecs, and hardware devices (such as Cineform and BlackMagic) to assist them in updating their software to fix some errors and crashes. Please take this opportunity to download and install updated codecs, plug-ins, and drivers from these providers, as relevant to your work.
- Possible hang on start if firewall or other software (such as ZoneAlarm or FileMaker) blocks communication between Premiere Pro and related components. (See this Technical Support document for more information and solutions.)