The Sync Settings features give you the ability to upload settings files from your local computer to Creative Cloud and then download your settings from Creative Cloud to any other computer from within Premiere Pro. The Sync Settings features work very much the same in Premiere Pro as the same features in After Effects.
The settings that can be synchronized in this way correspond to the entries in the Sync Settings category in the Preferences dialog box:
- Workspace Layouts
- Keyboard Shortcuts
Do let us know with a feature request if there are other settings that you’d like to see synchronized.
When you start Premiere Pro, the Welcome Screen gives you your first opportunity to synchronize settings. You have two options under the Sync Settings To Adobe Creative Cloud heading:
- Sync Now: Click this to begin the synchronization process for the user with the Adobe ID shown.
- Use Settings From A Different Account: Click this to begin the process of switching to a different account and using its settings.
You have access to the same commands from the File menu, from the menu entry that will either be Sync Settings or your Adobe ID, depending on whether you’ve enabled the feature by choosing to synchronize settings.
Also in that Sync Settings menu are a few other commands:
- Clear Settings: Restores all settings to the system state (i.e., the settings that were in place before you used the Sync Settings feature); also clears the user information from the application (if you chose the Use Settings From Different Account Feature). You can also choose to enable the Automatically Clear User Profiles On Quit preference in the Sync Settings category. This is a good idea if you are working temporarily on a shared computer.
- Manage Sync Settings: Opens the Sync Settings pane of the Preferences dialog box.
- Manage Creative Cloud Account: Takes you to the Creative Cloud web page.
The Sync Settings menu can also be opened by clicking the button in the lower-left corner of the application window. The tooltip for this button is the most convenient way of seeing which account’s settings are in use.
Any time that you switch users or load settings from Creative Cloud, you must close the current project. When you upload files from the local computer to Creative Cloud, closing the project is not necessary.
When you choose to synchronize settings, you will either get a message telling you that “Settings are already in sync” or a Sync Settings dialog box. In the Sync Settings dialog box, you can choose whether to upload/save your current files from the computer to the Creative Cloud server (Upload Settings) or download and apply the files from the Creative Cloud server (Download Settings). If you know that you will always want to do one or the other, you can check the Remember My Preference box. A good example for using this setting is when you want to treat your primary office computer as the gold standard, so you only ever upload its settings to Creative Cloud, whereas the computers that you freelance at are only consuming those settings, so you only ever download to them. You can change your mind about this setting and choose a new value from the When Syncing menu in the Sync Settings category in the Preferences dialog box.