Adobe Captivate 4 — Final Countdown Part II

Now that we are done with the big ones, allow me to tell you about the rest. And don’t blame me if you think some of them must have made it earlier. Remember, this is my blog, and these are my choices. And this is the only place in the whole world where I get to have my way. Oh! Who am I kidding?!

Design templates: Adobe Captivate comes with a set of in-built design templates that you could apply to a slide or a project. Better still, you can create your customized design template and apply it to a project or
project template.

AS3 support: More on this in the documentation. Suffice to say that users usin AS3 will find enough to smile about.

Re-worked menu: The menu structure and the preferences dialog box have been reworked to make them even more user-friendly. and to keep them in sync with other Adobe products.

Publish as AVI: You can now publish your Adobe Captivate project as an AVI file. As simple as that.

Support for right-click: Yes, I know. We have been praying for this all along, and however small it may look as a feature, we know how big this is for all of us. Keep grinning.

Image editing: Touch up your images using image-editing features like brightness, contrast, hue, saturation, and a host of other finger-lickin good options. Remember me saying earlier about how Adobe Captivate is now more independent than ever before?

Flash CS3 and Flash CS4 support: Work with these versions of Flash seamlessly using your favorite Captivate-Flash workflows.

Batch editing of audio files using Soundbooth: You can now carry over all your audio files from the library to Soundbooth. When you save the files after batch-processsing them in Soundbooth, the changes are reflected in your Adobe Captivate project. `

Export to PDF: You can now export your SWF into a PDF file by enabling an option during publishing.

Single SWF publishing: Unless specified otherwise in the preferences box, Adobe Captivate generates a single SWF file. Come on, come on, don’t tell me you did not want this one!

Apart from the host of goodies that we are now drooling over, Adobe Captivate now provides a host of options to optimize the file size of your project. Glitches with the FMR have been addressed as have some other itsy-bitsy pain points.

Like most of us here at Adobe would like to believe, Adobe Captivate 4 is HUGE. It is almost like we skipped a couple of releases to get here. And we are sure you will feel the same way too. The wait looks like it is almost over.

13 Responses to Adobe Captivate 4 — Final Countdown Part II

1. Mark says:

Any word on being able to run it on a Mac?

2. preran says:

Mark: Adobe knows how huge the demand is for a Mac version of Adobe Captivate. The idea is being seriously pursued. That’s all I can say at the moment.

3. Paul J says:

Are there any other types of questions for quizzes ?

Also on the results page do we have to always use a ‘continue’ button ? Cant add any other buttons on this page which is frustrating.

4. Jeff Goldman says:

Regarding “Text to speech functionality: Convert all that text in your slide notes and text captions to high quality speech at the click of a button, literally.”

Am I understanding this correctly, will it be computer generated speech based on the text I enter?”

If that is so, it will save me A LOT of time!

5. Jeff says:

If that is so, it will save me A LOT of time!

6. Brent says:

The single swf is not a positive but actually a potential negative. Our major complaint about captivate 3 is the large size of the output file which frequently causes bandwidth issues on our global LMS. I would prefer that Captivate provide a small chunk publishing format that minimizes the need for high speed lines.

7. JoanneL says:

Will the one SWF open separate Browser window and auto close Browser window and return to launch point, ie. I have a PowerPoint info pack to be presented world wide. There are images with links to Captivate demos / imulations allowing presenter to tailor the presentation ot meet individual client needs…the big issue for me is opening a Browser window wiht no addrss bar, icons displayed showing the demo then close Broswer window and return to the PowerPoint. I have code in the htm to launch Broswer full screen (can not remove address bar, icon bar) but getting it to close the window has been a challenge

8. preran says:

Paul: You can now create your own custom widgets using Flash. I think you should be able to overcome your ‘button’ problem with that.

Jeff: I have to admit that I have not used this feature as extensively as I would have like to, but yes, you can now automatically convert all text in text captions and slide notes to computer generated speech. Hope this still sounds exciting.

Brent: There are many options, including compression techniques, that should help you have smaller files. Hopefully, your problem should be addressed this time. If you don’t like a single SWF, you can turn it off!

Joanne: I have never attempted this, but will see if someone from the dev team can answer this for you.

9. Joe User says:

I find it interesting that you’re posting such detail of the product. Some of these features were only documented in the pre-release program and have not been publicly announced. Umm did you overstep your bounds a bit?

10. preran says:

Joe: I have the required permission for posting the info. And remember, the blog only tells you what the product can do…and we know that the devil is still in the details. For that, you will have to wait for the product release to feast your hands on the features.

11. Marco says:

I am really excited about the right-click feature.

In my company we have created a lot of content with captivate 2. Will it be possible to open those projects in Captivate 4 and add right-click menus afterwards? Or will we have to re-capture the content using captivate 4?

12. Marco says:

Somewhere I read something about improved synchronization between captions and audio. What I always wanted is a setting that a captions window is visible one second longer than the audio in that slide or caption window. I would like to apply this to the whole project, rather than manually adjust the duration of the captions box slide by slide.

13. Carsie says:

I am having problems inserting time between each word in the speech tool. is there a way to insert a longer time period or pause between each word without going into the edit mode and actually inserting a time. I tried inserting a comma and/or period, but the time was too long.