The Impact of the Flash Player Unpublish Announcement on Android Video Delivery

As announced last fall, although Flash Player for the Android mobile browser will not receive any fur­ther ver­sion updates, it remained avail­able in the Google Play Store. This week we announced Flash Player for the mobile browser will be unpub­lished from the Google Play Store.

android_logo2Does this mean Adobe is not com­mit­ted to video on mobile devices? Absolutely not. We con­tinue to inno­vate and solve mobile video frag­men­ta­tion chal­lenges. Specif­i­cally, on Android, we solve this with Adobe AIR, with high-end video fea­tures such as Adobe Access DRM, and fre­quent new releases with new video fea­tures. In addi­tion, we intro­duced “Project Prime­time”, focus­ing on solv­ing video frag­men­ta­tion and mon­e­ti­za­tion chal­lenges across desk­top, mobile and dig­i­tal home.

We made the deci­sion to dis­con­tinue sup­port for Android mobile browser because of two rea­sons: 1) Pre­mium expe­ri­ences on mobile devices are typ­i­cally being deliv­ered through apps and 2) Mobile web­sites mostly rely on HTML5 based video deliv­ery.

What does the mean for you if you use Flash Player on Android for mobile browser video deliv­ery? First, exist­ing users can con­tinue use as is. Android mar­ket unpub­lish does not mean Flash Player will be unin­stalled from devices. Devices with Flash Player already installed will con­tinue to receive secu­rity updates. Sec­ond, you should develop a migra­tion plan. New users will not be able to down­load Flash Player and install to their mobile browser.

Adobe’s solu­tion for video deliv­ery to mobile devices is cen­tered on enabling apps. As an imme­di­ate future-proof migra­tion path, Adobe AIR pro­vides the same advanced Flash based video fea­tures, which means no changes to your con­tent pro­tec­tion or video deliv­ery infra­struc­ture. AIR enables advanced video fea­tures for play­back on Android 2.2+ devices, includ­ing Adobe Access DRM, live sup­port, and adap­tive stream­ing. Adobe is fully com­mit­ted to fur­ther develop and sup­port Adobe AIR on Android. Adobe AIR does not rely on the in-browser Flash Player and is not impacted by the unpub­lish change.  Pop­u­lar AIR video appli­ca­tion exam­ples include Watch­ESPN, iTV, and Snag­films.

To learn more about Adobe AIR based video deliv­ery, read the Adobe AIR mobile video deliv­ery guide.

(Por­tions of this page are repro­duced from work cre­ated and shared by Google and used accord­ing to terms described in the Cre­ative Com­mons 3.0 Attri­bu­tion License.)

FacebookTwitterGoogle+PinterestEmailLinkedInRedditTumblrShare
Jens Loeffler

About Jens Loeffler

Jens Loeffler is a senior technical evangelist on Adobe's Media Solutions product management team focusing on online video and services. Equipped with a media computer science degree, Jens started his career in the agency world and has been living and breathing online video and mobile for the last decade. Currently Jens provides thought leadership as a public speaker and panelist at numerous industry events, and maintains a well-recognized blog covering industry trends. When he isn't working on secret projects at Adobe, Jens compensates with long runs, hikes and walks with his furry companion, and is an excellent guide to judge the authenticity of German cuisine in NYC.

Show Comments

Hide Comments

58 Responses to The Impact of the Flash Player Unpublish Announcement on Android Video Delivery

1. Phillip Kerman says:

Exactly what does this part mean? “Adobe is fully com­mit­ted to fur­ther develop and sup­port Adobe AIR on Android”

For exam­ple, are bugs rou­tinely with­drawn like my video bug (which I hear unof­fi­cially will be fixed one day–not sure when)? What’s Adobe’s busi­ness model to sup­port AIR? I want to use it..I am using it... I just want to know how much I can expect Adobe to really sup­port it.

Thanks!

• Jens Loeffler says:

Hi Philipp — we are very actively work­ing on resolv­ing video related issues in the AIR run­time and improv­ing it. I do recall the bug you reported. I’ll reach out to you pri­vately to give you the lat­est update.

2. tonyPro says:

What about flash files dis­trib­uted through a FMS 4.5? Will that func­tion­al­ity be phased out as well?

• Jens Loeffler says:

Adobe Media Server (for­merly FMS) sup­ports RTMP, HDS and HLS media stream­ing. RTMP/HDS are tar­get­ing the Flash/AIR run­times, HLS works for both iOS and Android 4.x for in-browser play­back. None of this changes.

3. Marsh says:

Okay, Adobe has just become one of the worse soft­ware devel­op­ers ever!
    Flash being avail­able for Android is one of the key rea­sons to stay away from the iPhone.
    I do not get my “video” con­tents through apps. I hate hav­ing mul­ti­ple apps installed, when I can just go to One web­site to get all of the infor­ma­tion in one place..

Adobe, you suck!

• Jens Loeffler says:

This change shouldn’t impact in-browser video play­back, since Android 4.x has sup­port for in-browser HLS video, same as iOS (which is sup­ported by Adobe Media Server). Flash Player brought sim­i­lar video play­back capa­bil­i­ties with RTMP and HDS to older Android OS ver­sions, specif­i­cally 2.x. Advanced video is mostly refer­ring to DRM pro­tected con­tent, which was not pos­si­ble in Flash Player on Android, or in-browser Android 4.x HLS. AIR for Android has full Adobe Access DRM sup­port. Adobe Access also recently added sup­port for native iOS appli­ca­tions.

It means pre­mium, DRM pro­tected video, is mostly con­sumed via apps, while unpro­tected or lightly pro­tected con­tent can still be con­sumed through the browser.

• Tudor says:

First of all, what will hap­pen to all things flash which are NOT videos? Remem­ber those? I need to access those from my android device. Those are far more impor­tant than the videos, because there are always alter­na­tives (as you say) to watch­ing the videos.

What­ever you do, if I can’t access 2advanced.com in desk­top mode, with my android device, it’s inex­cus­able.

Sec­ond of all, what does Adobe Access DRM mean? In my per­sonal expe­ri­ence, any­thing called DRM means a huge detri­ment to the user. (see videogame indus­try, music indus­try)

• mpn says:

it seems like an adobe-apple friend­ship to kill android...

crazy move from adobe to let apple decide for it.

how much money did they (apple isheeps) pay you to do such a nasty move­ment?

• Tudor says:

I for one know that I won’t be upgrad­ing my Android OS beyond ICS (which I already have).

Seri­ously with­out flash sup­port, I might as well be brows­ing the web with a toaster.

4. Pingback: La fin de Flash mobile… | Ludovic DANIEL

5. sigman says:

So now the only two plat­forms where the new users will be able to usr browser flash player is Black­Berry and win­dows 8 phones for pre­vi­ously sub­mit­ted and accepted web­sites. Hon­estly that sucks. FP was one of the main fea­tures g meusing my Android phone. Is it the cost of test­ing flash player on plethora android devices made adobe doing this? I wouldn’t even mind if FP was avail­able only one few but the most pop­u­lar devices like galaxy 3 or HTC EVO, that would be surely bet­ter than just aban­don­ing the whole plat­form. Is there any chance to use pep­per like on linux to still keep FP on Android?

6. Michael says:

Flash Player is why I got an android phone. Flash Player is extremely use­ful on Android tablets for that desk­top expe­ri­ence. At least make it pos­si­ble to watch flash movies in another form. Most of the inter­net still uses your plat­form Adobe. HTML5 is still pretty new and it is grow­ing, but not enough yet that makes Flash obso­lete. So please resume devel­op­ment of Flash in Android in another way or another. Maybe develop Flash Lite for Android?

7. Pingback: Adobe announce “No Flash Player Support” for Android 4.0 devices | Tech News | | ThinkerViews - Views And ReviewsThinkerViews – Views And Reviews

8. Arash says:

I read them all, throughtly but I still can’t under­stand what is your rea­son to dis­con­tinue FP on android?
    Is it for money?
    Every­body had expe­ri­enced that it’s work­ing per­fectly on android, of course there always will be bug, but it can be fixed after releas­ing the edi­tion and receiv­ing bug reports, not before releas­ing.
    Of course there must be bug although if you test it before release.
    BTW I’m agree to oth­ers n I think it’s not good job.
    Remem­ber Android is a OS and will find it’s way through but it’s flash that need OS to run on.
    I think such exper­inces will costs expen­sive to flash.

9. bASKOU says:

Nowa­days only YouTube and maybe Dai­ly­mo­tion work­ing with HTML5. So it mean to really limit the access to videos on inter­net. Cer­tainly only for pro­mote adobe air and your adobe DRM. Hope that this kind of behav­ior sign the end of adobe flash sup­port in all the way we use it today for some­thing bet­ter not com­ing from adobe.

10. Leonardo says:

I miss Macro­me­dia.

• salah says:

the same idea i got few days ago 🙁 Macro­me­dia is the best (for flash)

• illiad says:

yeah, and I miss the days when web­sites were ONLY HTML.... These days that is only a very small part of it.. CGI, PHP, JS, and other ‘enhance­ments’ forced by cer­tain companies...:/
      — to say noth­ing about ‘self-mod­i­fy­ing code’ ..

HTML5’ is a lovely buzz­word, but like the above, is a very small part...

11. Pingback: Adobe Ends Flash Certification for New Android Versions

12. Sara says:

Ummm...is it just me, or is every­one get­ting a tablet now? And the tablets, they’re iOS or Android. It doesn’t make sense that you would aban­don the tablet mar­ket. Does that mean access to older web­sites and flash games will expire when I get my new tablet?
    If Adobe AIR is the solu­tion, why are you still sup­port­ing Flash for PC?
    Is the lack of iOS sup­port killing your mar­ket for inclu­sion in new web­sites?

• illiad says:

why are you still sup­port­ing Flash for PC?”
      MY guess is they do not want to lose their whole mar­ket!!!
      win­dows is beset with ‘legacy’ restric­tions, caus­ing prob­lems for new tech.. and MS does not help, by chang­ing the specs too much!!

13. Pingback: Add Web Site | World News » Blog Archive » An Update on Flash Player and Android

14. Jason Smith says:

I am extremely dis­ap­pointed in this. My android tablet has taken over 75% of the usage my desk­top pro­vided. This means Flash appli­ca­tions and to a lesser extent videos. I use and play a large num­ber of flash based games and appli­ca­tions. To remove the frame­work which made this plat­form the choice is very dis­heart­en­ing. It really sad­dens me to see a com­pany dis­re­gard their cus­tomers needs.

I real­ize you have out­lined a flash video alter­na­tive, but how are you sup­port­ing the appli­ca­tion aspect.

15. Ed Freeman says:

a cou­ple of months ago I wrote a blog post regard­ing flash. In that post I fore­told of Adobe Flash com­ing to an end. Now with this infor­ma­tion I see that my sum­ma­tions were cor­rect. Adobe is killing flash, which was to be expected when they absorbed Macro­me­dia into their cor­po­rate struc­ture.

Adobe, you have been mak­ing some grave mis­takes. First by refus­ing Flash Player, a free pro­duct as it should be, to the Linux com­mu­nity. Now you are tak­ing it away from Android users, whats next? Will you start demand­ing $1200 a copy to the PC users like you do us design­ers for your soft­ware to make flash or AIR based videos?

One thing I do see here is sim­ple, Adobe is very anti-Linux. Which tells me, unless your owned by Microsoft and it’s lack­eys you aren’t allowed to enjoy the inter­net and what it offers. Think about it, Android is built on the Linux Ker­nel, so makes you won­der how long before Apple gets hurt since it’s built on the Linux Ker­nel too.

Adobe you are hurt­ing your­selves as well as devel­op­ers with these deci­sions. Turn back now before it’s too late and you are out of busi­ness.

• salah says:

i like your com­ment ‚also when adobe gives up AIR for linux i was very choked,linux ker­nel is a best solu­tion for indus­trial devel­ope­ment, com­bin­ing it with FLASH/AIR it was a pow­er­full tool,i really don’t know what to do as a flash developer,believe on “DARK” futur for flash,or do a migra­tion to other tech­nolo­gies, i still have psy­cho­logic trou­bles to do it

• Jamie Pate says:

FYI: osx is based on the mach ker­nel (free+net)bsd, which is very simil­lar, but com­pletely dif­fer­ent from linux 😉

16. This is a joke right ?

I bought a Android phone and a tablet and now if I update I won’t be able to see any Flash con­tent on a browser ??? This is Ridicu­lous !!! It is work­ing really good why remove it ?!

This smells like a con­spir­acy...

Adobe will get burn big time for this if they decide to make this thing hap­pen.
    HTML5 is not the solu­tion and peo­ple don’t want to down­load lot’s of APP’s all the time.

Why did Adobe buy Flash for a lot a money ? For noth­ing... I tought Adobe had a lot of smarth poe­ple work­ing for them, it seem’s not !!!

17. PhilFlash says:

Hi,
    I’m sorry but there are many crit­i­cal prob­lems to play videos with AIR on Android.
    For exam­ple, if you use AIR 3.2 or 3.3, you have black screens with video player based on OSMF :
    Some bugs will be cor­rected in AIR 3.4 but there is a crit­i­cal bug on Android
    with netstream.close and there is no pri­or­ity to fix this issue:
    Philippe

18. djembeman says:

So, Adobe Air is not a plugin that allows me to watch embed­ded web videos. How can air replace flash? Every embed­ded video I’ve ever tried has played in my Droid phones that I’ve had over the last few years. My phone just got upgraded to Ice Cream Sand­wich 4.0.4 and embed­ded flash videos don’t play any­more!!! What a huge down­grade!!! A very unfor­tu­nate move by Adobe. I want my full South Park episodes to play!

19. djembeman says:

And I almost for­got, dur­ing the upgrade process Flash Player was removed from my device. I had to go back to the market(“Play Store”) to down­load it again....but now no longer works. Droid RAZR MAXX Android 4.0.4

20. Contactpro says:

The Adobe sym­bol and what it stood for has changed DRAMATICALLY for the worse. I did not update my Sam­sung Galaxy S-II to ICS, yet the cur­rent Adobe Flash update turned my device into a video brick within the browser. Search­ing the web to find an imme­di­ate roll­back fix proved fruit­less. Now I can­not view any com­mon Flash based videos with the browser. As a mat­ter of fact, the notice shown says I do not have Flash on my device. How could it not? This is redicu­lous for the reg­u­lar user. Why not phase these changes in with com­mon sense strat­egy? My most impor­tant ques­tion is how to get my Android phone back up to pre­vi­ous Flash Player capa­bil­ity?
    Adobe, killing your adopted child, Macro­me­dia, is the first step to even­tual self destruc­tion. Sad 🙁

21. Jason says:

I agree with quite a few of the com­ments being made, but from a busi­ness point of view can see why Adobe’s had to reign in the Flash player on mobile devices and opt for the Air strat­egy they now appear to be push­ing.
    The com­plete bungling of pretty much every­thing to do with the well estab­lished Flash brand over the last 12 months by Adobe has been breath­tak­ing how­ever. As my live­ly­hood relies on the per­cep­tion of Flash and what it’s capa­ble of (and at what price point) being strongly posi­tioned, I (and oth­ers) are start­ing to feel a good dosage of vit­riol towards Adobe. I realise the goal posts have changed (thanks Steve) but if we’re now expected to be push­ing Air as a legit­i­mate solu­tion to clients and stake­hold­ers, then a wee bit of help from the mother ship would be greatly appre­ci­ated.
    Where are the case stud­ies detail­ing Air Vs HTML5 Vs Native App projects and how each of the tech­nolo­gies suc­ceed and fail? Is Adobe spread too thinly across these three tech­nolo­gies that it can no longer advo­cate in a mean­ing­ful way any of them? The prob­lem is, you can’t be every­thing to every­one, and that’s where I think Adobe has dropped the ball — pick a tech, develop it to it’s fullest, put every­thing behind it, and the devel­oper com­mu­nity may just fol­low. As it stands now, we’re left scram­bling for paths for­ward — a path that prob­a­bly won’t involve Adobe if the cur­rent trend con­tin­ues.

22. nebby says:

So Flash is never going to work with ICS, or at least 4.0.4 or above? I’d rather have Gin­ger­bread.

23. I use Google Chrome with Win­dows7 and Flash Player comes inte­grated with Chrome that is fan­tas­tic move !

Why can’t mobile Chrome be this way also ?
    The new Win­dows 10 Metro will have this fea­ture.

The processor’s of mobile and tablet’s are get­ting stronger each time a new device is release we now have quad cores in the new device and this will get even stronger with time...

Don’t get me wrong AIR is awe­some but the lifeblood of Flash is being able to play in the Browser.

A lot of peo­ple are say­ing Flash is dead or is dying... because of what Steve Jobs wrote.
    Iron­i­cally Steve Jobs died not long after the release of is toughts on Flash.

And has a Flash devel­op­per and power user I was not con­vince of what he was say­ing, this was a rea­son for Apple to gain more con­trol because a lot of Flash prod­ucts are free.

When hear­ing of this I imme­di­atly changed my iPhone for an Android device that was going to sup­port Flash. And when Flash Player was able to be on the Android Browser I was so happy.

Now it looks like things are chang­ing for the worst !
    Adobe mak­ing this move looks strange and some­one is pulling the strings to kill off Flash...

24. Wendi says:

Ok, I just bought a new HTC Evo Design 4G phone. I specif­i­cally bought an Android phone so that it would sup­port Flash. Now I find out that my phone has Android 4.0.3, so no Flash for me. I don’t watch any videos, but I need Flash for other web­sites that I use reg­u­larly. I AM SO UPSET! I have the Flash app through Google­Play, but the web­sites I use are still not work­ing. When I try, it says that I need to install Flash.

25. TATA bye bye bye Adobe!!!!

26. Google should remove flash for­mat usage from youtube. Being an Android devel­oper. Flash is not a big deal. I am boy­cotting flash from now. What the hell is going? if users are not going to get flash plu­g­ins from Android 4.1.

• illiad says:

yes, about a year ago, Youtube made a big show about using HTML5... No sign of it now...

Unless I am not using an ‘up-to-date’ browser ??
      — this is due to it not hav­ing the com­pat­i­bil­ity I need — I am not one who prefers ‘glamor’ to ‘abil­ity’ !!!

27. thank god i didn’t ported my game engine in Flash!!!

28. Steven says:

After read­ing this and sev­eral other sites...i realy don’t under­stand why it’s being dis­con­tin­ued for a num­ber of rea­sons 1) the inter­net is NOT google or youtube or itunes etc, so all it is doing is restrict­ing access to many web­sites that require flash 2) i play flash games within the browser, how are we able to play them if we upgrade our phones or tablets to any­thing higher than ICS?i plug my tablet via HDMI lead into the tv to stream videos(movies, tv shows etc)and play games using the tablet like a remote or joy­pad 3) 1 plugin is bet­ter than hav­ing a list of 200 apps for every video site on the net(and most don’t even have them) and the app list gets bloated and clutterd...while flash maybe large in size, the amount of apps required if every site that required it made an app would be hugely big­ger and prob­a­bly try to run in the back­ground eat­ing up you’re band­width which may wreak havoc on capped con­nec­tions espe­cialy if the apps update often and slow­down the over­all os experience...with flash, one app, ben­e­fits users more in the long run atleast until HTML5 can match it both with video and games and before the band­wagon jumps in and screams HTML5! HTML5! HTML5! It’s not ready for main­stream usage for a num­ber of rea­sons 1) No one can agree on a proper codec to use, so if you run a large site which for­mat do you use?MP4, OGG, WEBM or H.264?or must they waste TB’s of space and con­vert all videos to each one to sat­isfy every browser on the net?not every­one has the finan­cial clout like google and oth­ere such sites to han­dle that amount of data 2) Using the HTML5 video tag makes it much eas­ier to grab the video source(simply by look­ing at the HTML source)therefore, any­one can link directly to it, to either down­load it or stream it on their site in their own player or in worse case, bring the site to it’s knees (i’ll leave that bit out) 3) DRM, since HTML5 doesn’t sup­port this and recent arti­cles in the news about Microsoft and google etc want­ing a drm option, if they imple­mented a drm option wouldn’t this lead to hav­ing to use more plugins?one for each site because if there was a com­mon drm, once it got cracked then they would have to release HTML6 just for the drm and since HTML is an open stan­dard for all to use, they would have to release the drm code so peo­ple could use it defeat­ing it’s pur­pose in the first place so for the long term as it stands, sites like net­flix and love­film won’t touch it, instead they will opt for the apps clut­ter­ing our phones and tablets...one app can avoid all these pit­falls in mobile brows­ing and it did and still does on ICS and before...it seems apps are now just pro­grams of the Win­dows os but re-branded to sound cool! and made to view a site rather than to actu­aly do some­thing that pro­grams are made for(usualy stuff that can’t or shouldn’t be done in a web browser — cloud com­put­ing — another cor­por­tate bad idea — eats band­width and inter­net lim­i­ta­tions, in an area where you have no signal?forget it and the law that can just take down the site with you’re info is on — megavideo anyone?someday peo­ple fol­low­ing the hype will learn). In an ideal world every­thing would just work but this is not an ideal world and drop­ping flash so soon is a bad deci­sion, i would agree with it once the alter­na­tives were finalised but dis­con­tin­u­ing it before there are viable alter­na­tives is like push­ing peo­ple back to the 90’s and early 2000’s where we had hack every­thing to make it work cross browser, peo­ple com­plaind about ie6, well this sh*t storm is about to get real for web design­ers and those on the newer android os when the sites that workd stopped and for design­ers try­ing to make it com­pat­i­ble cross browser...all im try­ing to say amongst all this is that, long term HTML5 may turn out to be a bet­ter option once it has been fiinalised but for now dis­con­tin­u­ing flash is far too early in the game, browser adop­tion is slow and the stan­dards are even slower...i sus­pect in the future there will be allot of bro­ken brow­ers and hacks to make them work in the mobile world when they do finalise codecs etc and it will be back to the ie6 days when android (num­ber) browser doesn’t sup­port android (new num­ber) html codec etc, for years web design­ers strug­gled against ie, looks like his­tory will repeat itself that is ofcoarse if android is still around because the way i see it, no flash?then what advan­tage does it have over the iphone/pad and the new sur­face that is sop­posed to be com­pat­i­ble with the win 8 desktop/laptop?NONE! So many will jump ship i think once the os that still has it stops work­ing or needs a newer model. Bad tim­ing, Bad deci­sion, some will rejoice in this and those who com­plaind about flash being buggy, well hope you’re happy with the out­come because one app solved allot that would take a thou­sand or more apps to solve in the cur­rent cli­mate. Im done.

• illiad says:

first you need to read this..
      quote:
      ” if you don’t sup­port flash, then the big name web­sites get off their arse and provide an alter­na­tive. That’s why the iPlayer web­site works great on all iOS devices, even first gen­er­a­tion ones. So does Youtube, Vimeo, pretty much every major web­site out there works great on the iPhone. It also has ded­i­cated apps from all the major video providers: 4OD, ITV Player, Demand five, BBC iPlayer, Net­flix, Love­film etc. Not all these are avail­able on Android because it has flash, they don’t think it is nec­es­sary, but a ded­i­cated app will per­form far far bet­ter than flash on a web­site, and offers rich fea­tures that are not pos­si­ble through flash.”

I have seen a lot of reviews of JB, but they all seem to avoid flash... even when they show a pic­ture of the ‘great new browser’ — looks like they are just say­ing “JB is great, now lets get on with the next thing.... 😛 ”

you do know that older android will con­tinue to be sup­ported?? make sure you have backed up your flash.apk, you should have no prob­lems, if you know what you are doing... Just how *des­per­ate* are you to get JB???

HTML5, codec, for­mats...”
      AIR will enable *native* video, Edge will do a lot more of the stuff flash nor­mally does...

Adobe’s solu­tion for video deliv­ery to mobile devices is cen­tered on enabling apps. As an imme­di­ate future-proof migra­tion path, Adobe AIR pro­vides the same advanced **Flash based** video fea­tures, which means no changes to your con­tent pro­tec­tion or video deliv­ery infra­struc­ture.””

quote from

also..

And do note, that very few if any have a mobile with **offi­cial** jelly bean yet... going by the slow pace of ICS uptake, you have 6 to 9 months to get thing sorted..
      Unlike the geeks and devs who can­not seem to see beyond flash.. I’ll bet that is why adobe has decided to *force* them to con­sider it..

I’m wait­ing for Aug 15 — or more sto­ries about more delays and prob­lems with JB!! 🙂

• Steven says:

I’m fully aware of Air etc but it still depends on stuff­ing your phone with hun­dreds of apps to view a site which is some­thing i don’t agree with since allot run in the back­ground and dis­abling them is point­less because most of the time they just restart and call home or to run an ad in the background(as many do, even legit apps), which to me is wrong from both a pri­vacy and secu­rity point of view.

One app avoided the need of hav­ing to have a hun­dred dif­fer­ent apps plain and sim­ple. I view allot more than the reg­u­lar BBC, 4od etc, and i don’t care about bells and whistles with video or games, i just want to click start or play and it does. I view allot of sites that build their site around the desktop/laptop because most their users are using windows...i never had a prob­lem using flash since the tablet i have has a 1.2gz proces­sor, 400mhz graph­ics proces­sor and 1gig of ram so movies stream fine on it but what they are basicly say­ing now is to get some­thing to work on android above ICS, site own­ers must build an app. If all android is going to be is just like IOS where you need an app to view a web­site then i realy do not see any advan­tage in using it once flash stops work­ing on ICS and it will when sites start tell you to upgrade your flash player to a newer ver­sion.

Im in no rush to use jb but i fear in the com­ing months it will be force fed to any­one buy­ing a new phone or tablet which is putting me off buy­ing one and i think it will oth­ers too...google got peo­ple hooked onto android and now their user base has grown they are tak­ing the one thing away that made us choose android in the first place.

Its not lazy because you decide not to build an app for you’re site because an app already exists...thats the whole pur­pose of a web browser –to view sites- so the whole app idea for all and sundry to me is noth­ing more than ridicu­lous.

The idea to have one stan­dard work every­where sounds good if every­one could agree on the stan­dard but they can’t, HTML5 video will be a no go so the idea that one stan­dard work­ing every­where still won’t be true for rea­sons i pointed out above...developers will avoid it because they will not want their links so eas­ily acces­si­ble by view­ing the source etc...so when it comes down to it, it will be one thing for the desk­top and one thing for the tablet(as is the case with the IPad)where with flash it wasn’t, it offerd almost desk­top expe­ri­ence on a tablet, with­out it, all the video sites out­side of youtube and that google won’t allow in their mar­ket will no longer work or if they did cre­ate an app, we would have to down­load from a pos­si­ble inse­cure source.

If i close a browser down, the sites are gone –poof- till i visit next but not with an app...like the fb app, runs all the time or restarts if you dis­able it but in the web­page its gone once you close it out. I can list hun­dreds of rea­sons why remov­ing flash so soon is a bad idea and with­out it, i can’t see the ben­e­fits over an ipad(except maybe the price unless apple reduce it to compete)...if any­one knows of any ben­e­fits feel free to list them because i can’t think of any and this is think­ing long term...if our tablets are going to have to be stuffed with count­less apps then i guess long term we would be bet­ter off with win­dows 8 from a com­pat­i­bil­ity point of view or an ipad since it has a much bet­ter selec­tion of apps.

I am just dis­a­pointed as many are, HTML5 video was meant to be the future but it has more holes than a block of cheese that a mouse has been chew­ing on. One app solved allot and we are being force fed a stan­dard thats not even a stan­dard yet or those at the top can’t agree on and depend on apps to view some­thing the web browser was designed for in the first place but i guess none of this matters...the web stops being the web when every­thing worth view­ing becomes an app.

Any­ways lets see how the future pans out for the hard­core net users that use tablets to visit all kinds of sites and have a clut­terd list of hun­dreds of back­ground run­ning apps...in the long term i can’t see it being sus­tain­able unless you like a walled gar­den of lim­ited sites...so it will be back to the days of doing going back to you’re desktop/laptop todo some of the most basic things the web browser should be doing but can’t.

29. Frank Stone says:

Not even com­ment­ing the clue­less see through spin Adobe is using to try and jus­tify this move, just don’t be sur­prised devel­op­ers are leav­ing you flat cold passed out on the side­walk. No adobe tax for you. Douche bag moves like this one are what kills brands. Your move D-bags.

30. masroor says:

Dear Sir / Madam,

Very sorry to hear that Adobe is with­draw­ing mobile flash player.

Why, because of Apple?

Why do you give up? If you look at the mar­ket share for android smart phones and tablets every quar­ter, the mar­ket is grow­ing.

We accept slowly but Android has a big mar­ket share already.

You can see recently small exam­ple Sam­sung Galaxy S2 because the adver­tis­ing is very strong.

I tell one truth most of the smart phone users can not believe a user can get a full desk­top expe­ri­ence on a phone, due to a lack of adver­tis­ing these pos­i­tive tools for Android.

If you believe in your pro­duct please recon­sider your deci­sion and sup­port android devices.

android users.

• george says:

I will come straight to the point.

I have android phone and tablet.

Lots of peo­ple includ­ing col­leagues and I have Android tablets and phones.

We work at train­ing and devel­op­ment col­leges.

Our course mate­ri­als and video clips have are flash player based. (Most of Android OS use it because of its full desk­top expe­ri­ence)

Rea­sons:

The big rea­son to buy Android phones and tablets because it sup­ports Flash player.

And we rec­om­mend our clients buy Android phones or tablets.

I under­stand the future is html5 and it is con­ve­nient for web devel­oper

But you stop sup­port­ing flash player when at least 99% web video is com­pat­i­ble with html5.

In the mean­time Android 4.1or any upcom­ing ver­sion should sup­port both (HTLM5 and Flash player) or at least flash player please.

Many thou­sand users will be thank­ful to you if you could con­sider this issue: please sup­port 4.1OS and any sub­se­quent updates with flash player.

One of your loyal cus­tomers

31. Kosmic says:

As I under­stand it that one way adobe make money is to sell tools at great expense to devel­op­ers on the under­stand­ing that they will pro­duce free play­ers such as flash player and adobe reader that will be avail­able to a mass mar­ket. That way the devel­oper can cre­ate a sophis­ti­cated site that is avail­able to every­one.
    What Adobe are now say­ing is that they will stop sup­port­ing those prod­ucts and leave the devel­op­ers with pre­vi­ously sat­is­fied cus­tomers who are now dis-satisi­fied cus­tomers that now sud­denly need their web­sites re-writ­ing for what will soon be the major­ity of users who are using tablets and smart phones to view those sites. Surely its NOT JUST A VIDEO PROBLEM many sites use flash to enhance the look of the site or rather now destroy the look of the site. Some peo­ple will have spent thou­sands of hours devel­op­ing flash con­tent which will be use­less.

Why would devel­op­ers use Adobe prod­ucts in the future?

Adobe seem to be attack­ing the very peo­ple who have sup­ported them — so long and thanks for all the fish!

32. Riggs says:

This is great.
    We come to the end of an era ...in 2012. ...How apropo.

Instead of an ado­les­cent attempt to insult the mega-wealthy at Adobe with words that will fuel their sar­don­ically inso­lent nar­cis­sism, I’ll sim­ply remind every­one that his­tory has a bru­tal way of repeat­ing itself. All great empires even­tu­ally fall, often from the slight­est strat­a­gem prop­a­gat­ing a per­ilously cat­a­clysmic but­ter­fly effect.

A suc­ces­sor will rise from the shad­ows to sat­isfy the rau­cous hordes of bil­lions to reign with­out com­pro­mise, com­pla­cency and greed...

Time­line:
    Day One:
    Com­mence Project Bash.

33. Pingback: RIP Adobe Flash on Android « notiziario internet

34. Pingback: RIP Adobe Flash on Android

35. Pingback: RIP Adobe Flash on Android | Textbook Geek

36. Ardyvee says:

It’s rather funny that after a while, there are no more answers to the com­ments. I’m sure I’m not the only one to notice this.
    But, what­ever. Now we have a legit­i­mate rea­son to develop a sub­sti­tute for flash NOW and not in a few years. You know, like a rev­o­lu­tion!

37. AJP1228 says:

I was think­ing of buy­ing a low-end tablet as a sec­ondary com­puter and for the porta­bil­ity, but one of the main things I do online is play Flash-based games on Face­book such as Words With Friends and Soli­taire Blitz. I also like watching/listening to YouTube videos. So how am I going to do this with­out Flash? I don’t have a smart­phone, so I’m not famil­iar with how they are dif­fer­ent than a lap­top. Will I have to install an app for every dif­fer­ent game or video site if I buy a tablet? What if I want to visit a web site which doesn’t have an app set up?

38. KiRaShi says:

From a pro­fes­sional stand­point as a web designer, I can see why Adobe wants to aban­don Flash in favor of push­ing HTML5 because its a more effi­cient stan­dard and is sup­posed to unify every­thing on every device, mak­ing it eas­ier for web devel­op­ers. But essen­tially what Adobe has done here is pulled the plug on their end to say “Hey, web devel­oper, get your code either into HTML5 or AIR Apps and hope to hell there’s no bugs with each dif­fer­ent phone man­u­fac­turer.” Bad move on Adobes part as I fun­da­men­tally use flash every­day in con­sump­tion and devel­op­ment along with the rest of the world, and I’m sorry but I com­pletely dis­agree with ‘most web­sites’ using HTML5 as cur­rently I only see Dai­ly­mo­tion, YouTube, and some pop­u­lar stream­ing sites work­ing with it. What about the rest of the world? Oh well, each piece of soft­ware I use pro­fes­sion­ally seems to have an owner who pisses me off into pirat­ing their works, because of choices result­ing in loss of fea­tures or reduced func­tion­al­ity, or just plain stu­pid­ity in lim­it­ing the open inter­net to cor­den the user into pay­ing more. Just like Pre­miere not sup­port­ing MKV despite its pro­fes­sional uses, I sup­pose all Adobe prod­ucts fall into the pirates canon for me. Blog post to fol­low on my web­site I sup­pose.

39. Aldo Evjen says:

Def­i­nitely will try this...

40. I specif­i­cally pur­chased the Sam­sung galaxy 2 tablet 10.1 with the android 4.0.4 because i was informed it could play flash. This was pur­chased for busi­ness not for fun and the soft­ware we use for live stream­ing, video Email etc is in flash. I tried some of the 3rd party flash, com­plained to Sam­sung and was told they are work­ing on it. If I can­not find away to get flash, I still have time to return this expen­sive toy. I wanted to stream, video­tape etc for sites but for what I can use it for, I might as well get my money back.

41. Jim Henley says:

I could care less about watch­ing flash videos. I need flash for some web­sites that are built around it. A prime exam­ple is speakeasy.net which has a flash based band­width test. I have to use that at work when trou­bleshoot­ing inter­net prob­lems.

For­tu­nately, I know a dirty lit­tle secret — flash works just fine on Jelly Bean, just not in the Chrome browser. Side­load Flash (the apk is read­ily avail­able on numer­ous web­sites) and install Fire­Fox and VOILA! — Flash on Jelly Bean!

42. Kyle Ross says:

Welll played Apple...I mean Adobe, but Android is not going any­where.