The Impact of the Flash Player Unpublish Announcement on Android Video Delivery

As announced last fall, although Flash Player for the Android mobile browser will not receive any further version updates, it remained available in the Google Play Store. This week we announced Flash Player for the mobile browser will be unpublished from the Google Play Store.

android_logo2Does this mean Adobe is not committed to video on mobile devices? Absolutely not. We continue to innovate and solve mobile video fragmentation challenges. Specifically, on Android, we solve this with Adobe AIR, with high-end video features such as Adobe Access DRM, and frequent new releases with new video features. In addition, we introduced “Project Primetime”, focusing on solving video fragmentation and monetization challenges across desktop, mobile and digital home.

We made the decision to discontinue support for Android mobile browser because of two reasons: 1) Premium experiences on mobile devices are typically being delivered through apps and 2) Mobile websites mostly rely on HTML5 based video delivery.

What does the mean for you if you use Flash Player on Android for mobile browser video delivery? First, existing users can continue use as is. Android market unpublish does not mean Flash Player will be uninstalled from devices. Devices with Flash Player already installed will continue to receive security updates. Second, you should develop a migration plan. New users will not be able to download Flash Player and install to their mobile browser.

Adobe’s solution for video delivery to mobile devices is centered on enabling apps. As an immediate future-proof migration path, Adobe AIR provides the same advanced Flash based video features, which means no changes to your content protection or video delivery infrastructure. AIR enables advanced video features for playback on Android 2.2+ devices, including Adobe Access DRM, live support, and adaptive streaming. Adobe is fully committed to further develop and support Adobe AIR on Android. Adobe AIR does not rely on the in-browser Flash Player and is not impacted by the unpublish change.  Popular AIR video application examples include WatchESPN, iTV, and Snagfilms.

To learn more about Adobe AIR based video delivery, read the Adobe AIR mobile video delivery guide.

(Portions of this page are reproduced from work created and shared by Google and used according to terms described in the Creative Commons 3.0 Attribution License.)

Jens Loeffler

About Jens Loeffler

Jens Loeffler is a senior technical evangelist on Adobe's Media Solutions product management team focusing on online video and services. Equipped with a media computer science degree, Jens started his career in the agency world and has been living and breathing online video and mobile for the last decade. Currently Jens provides thought leadership as a public speaker and panelist at numerous industry events, and maintains a well-recognized blog covering industry trends. When he isn't working on secret projects at Adobe, Jens compensates with long runs, hikes and walks with his furry companion, and is an excellent guide to judge the authenticity of German cuisine in NYC.

Show Comments

Hide Comments

58 Responses to The Impact of the Flash Player Unpublish Announcement on Android Video Delivery

1. Phillip Kerman says:

Exactly what does this part mean? “Adobe is fully committed to further develop and support Adobe AIR on Android”

For example, are bugs routinely withdrawn like my video bug (which I hear unofficially will be fixed one day–not sure when)? What’s Adobe’s business model to support AIR? I want to use it..I am using it… I just want to know how much I can expect Adobe to really support it.

Thanks!

• Jens Loeffler says:

Hi Philipp – we are very actively working on resolving video related issues in the AIR runtime and improving it. I do recall the bug you reported. I’ll reach out to you privately to give you the latest update.

2. tonyPro says:

What about flash files distributed through a FMS 4.5? Will that functionality be phased out as well?

• Jens Loeffler says:

Adobe Media Server (formerly FMS) supports RTMP, HDS and HLS media streaming. RTMP/HDS are targeting the Flash/AIR runtimes, HLS works for both iOS and Android 4.x for in-browser playback. None of this changes.

3. Marsh says:

Okay, Adobe has just become one of the worse software developers ever!
    Flash being available for Android is one of the key reasons to stay away from the iPhone.
    I do not get my “video” contents through apps. I hate having multiple apps installed, when I can just go to One website to get all of the information in one place..

Adobe, you suck!

• Jens Loeffler says:

This change shouldn’t impact in-browser video playback, since Android 4.x has support for in-browser HLS video, same as iOS (which is supported by Adobe Media Server). Flash Player brought similar video playback capabilities with RTMP and HDS to older Android OS versions, specifically 2.x. Advanced video is mostly referring to DRM protected content, which was not possible in Flash Player on Android, or in-browser Android 4.x HLS. AIR for Android has full Adobe Access DRM support. Adobe Access also recently added support for native iOS applications.

It means premium, DRM protected video, is mostly consumed via apps, while unprotected or lightly protected content can still be consumed through the browser.

• Tudor says:

First of all, what will happen to all things flash which are NOT videos? Remember those? I need to access those from my android device. Those are far more important than the videos, because there are always alternatives (as you say) to watching the videos.

Whatever you do, if I can’t access 2advanced.com in desktop mode, with my android device, it’s inexcusable.

Second of all, what does Adobe Access DRM mean? In my personal experience, anything called DRM means a huge detriment to the user. (see videogame industry, music industry)

• mpn says:

it seems like an adobe-apple friendship to kill android…

crazy move from adobe to let apple decide for it.

how much money did they (apple isheeps) pay you to do such a nasty movement?

• Tudor says:

I for one know that I won’t be upgrading my Android OS beyond ICS (which I already have).

Seriously without flash support, I might as well be browsing the web with a toaster.

4. Pingback: La fin de Flash mobile… | Ludovic DANIEL

5. sigman says:

So now the only two platforms where the new users will be able to usr browser flash player is BlackBerry and windows 8 phones for previously submitted and accepted websites. Honestly that sucks. FP was one of the main features g meusing my Android phone. Is it the cost of testing flash player on plethora android devices made adobe doing this? I wouldn’t even mind if FP was available only one few but the most popular devices like galaxy 3 or HTC EVO, that would be surely better than just abandoning the whole platform. Is there any chance to use pepper like on linux to still keep FP on Android?

6. Michael says:

Flash Player is why I got an android phone. Flash Player is extremely useful on Android tablets for that desktop experience. At least make it possible to watch flash movies in another form. Most of the internet still uses your platform Adobe. HTML5 is still pretty new and it is growing, but not enough yet that makes Flash obsolete. So please resume development of Flash in Android in another way or another. Maybe develop Flash Lite for Android?

7. Pingback: Adobe announce “No Flash Player Support” for Android 4.0 devices | Tech News | | ThinkerViews - Views And ReviewsThinkerViews – Views And Reviews

8. Arash says:

I read them all, throughtly but I still can’t understand what is your reason to discontinue FP on android?
    Is it for money?
    Everybody had experienced that it’s working perfectly on android, of course there always will be bug, but it can be fixed after releasing the edition and receiving bug reports, not before releasing.
    Of course there must be bug although if you test it before release.
    BTW I’m agree to others n I think it’s not good job.
    Remember Android is a OS and will find it’s way through but it’s flash that need OS to run on.
    I think such experinces will costs expensive to flash.

9. bASKOU says:

Nowadays only YouTube and maybe Dailymotion working with HTML5. So it mean to really limit the access to videos on internet. Certainly only for promote adobe air and your adobe DRM. Hope that this kind of behavior sign the end of adobe flash support in all the way we use it today for something better not coming from adobe.

10. Leonardo says:

I miss Macromedia.

• salah says:

the same idea i got few days ago :( Macromedia is the best (for flash)

• illiad says:

yeah, and I miss the days when websites were ONLY HTML…. These days that is only a very small part of it.. CGI, PHP, JS, and other ‘enhancements’ forced by certain companies…:/
      - to say nothing about ‘self-modifying code’ ..

‘HTML5′ is a lovely buzzword, but like the above, is a very small part…

11. Pingback: Adobe Ends Flash Certification for New Android Versions

12. Sara says:

Ummm…is it just me, or is everyone getting a tablet now? And the tablets, they’re iOS or Android. It doesn’t make sense that you would abandon the tablet market. Does that mean access to older websites and flash games will expire when I get my new tablet?
    If Adobe AIR is the solution, why are you still supporting Flash for PC?
    Is the lack of iOS support killing your market for inclusion in new websites?

• illiad says:

“why are you still supporting Flash for PC?”
      MY guess is they do not want to lose their whole market!!!
      windows is beset with ‘legacy’ restrictions, causing problems for new tech.. and MS does not help, by changing the specs too much!!

13. Pingback: Add Web Site | World News » Blog Archive » An Update on Flash Player and Android

14. Jason Smith says:

I am extremely disappointed in this. My android tablet has taken over 75% of the usage my desktop provided. This means Flash applications and to a lesser extent videos. I use and play a large number of flash based games and applications. To remove the framework which made this platform the choice is very disheartening. It really saddens me to see a company disregard their customers needs.

I realize you have outlined a flash video alternative, but how are you supporting the application aspect.

15. Ed Freeman says:

a couple of months ago I wrote a blog post regarding flash. In that post I foretold of Adobe Flash coming to an end. Now with this information I see that my summations were correct. Adobe is killing flash, which was to be expected when they absorbed Macromedia into their corporate structure.

Adobe, you have been making some grave mistakes. First by refusing Flash Player, a free product as it should be, to the Linux community. Now you are taking it away from Android users, whats next? Will you start demanding $1200 a copy to the PC users like you do us designers for your software to make flash or AIR based videos?

One thing I do see here is simple, Adobe is very anti-Linux. Which tells me, unless your owned by Microsoft and it’s lackeys you aren’t allowed to enjoy the internet and what it offers. Think about it, Android is built on the Linux Kernel, so makes you wonder how long before Apple gets hurt since it’s built on the Linux Kernel too.

Adobe you are hurting yourselves as well as developers with these decisions. Turn back now before it’s too late and you are out of business.

• salah says:

i like your comment ,also when adobe gives up AIR for linux i was very choked,linux kernel is a best solution for industrial developement, combining it with FLASH/AIR it was a powerfull tool,i really don’t know what to do as a flash developer,believe on “DARK” futur for flash,or do a migration to other technologies, i still have psychologic troubles to do it

• Jamie Pate says:

FYI: osx is based on the mach kernel (free+net)bsd, which is very simillar, but completely different from linux ;)

16. This is a joke right ?

I bought a Android phone and a tablet and now if I update I won’t be able to see any Flash content on a browser ??? This is Ridiculous !!! It is working really good why remove it ?!

This smells like a conspiracy…

Adobe will get burn big time for this if they decide to make this thing happen.
    HTML5 is not the solution and people don’t want to download lot’s of APP’s all the time.

Why did Adobe buy Flash for a lot a money ? For nothing… I tought Adobe had a lot of smarth poeple working for them, it seem’s not !!!

17. PhilFlash says:

Hi,
    I’m sorry but there are many critical problems to play videos with AIR on Android.
    For example, if you use AIR 3.2 or 3.3, you have black screens with video player based on OSMF :
    Some bugs will be corrected in AIR 3.4 but there is a critical bug on Android
    with netstream.close and there is no priority to fix this issue:
    Philippe

18. djembeman says:

So, Adobe Air is not a plugin that allows me to watch embedded web videos. How can air replace flash? Every embedded video I’ve ever tried has played in my Droid phones that I’ve had over the last few years. My phone just got upgraded to Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0.4 and embedded flash videos don’t play anymore!!! What a huge downgrade!!! A very unfortunate move by Adobe. I want my full South Park episodes to play!

19. djembeman says:

And I almost forgot, during the upgrade process Flash Player was removed from my device. I had to go back to the market(“Play Store”) to download it again….but now no longer works. Droid RAZR MAXX Android 4.0.4

20. Contactpro says:

The Adobe symbol and what it stood for has changed DRAMATICALLY for the worse. I did not update my Samsung Galaxy S-II to ICS, yet the current Adobe Flash update turned my device into a video brick within the browser. Searching the web to find an immediate rollback fix proved fruitless. Now I cannot view any common Flash based videos with the browser. As a matter of fact, the notice shown says I do not have Flash on my device. How could it not? This is rediculous for the regular user. Why not phase these changes in with common sense strategy? My most important question is how to get my Android phone back up to previous Flash Player capability?
    Adobe, killing your adopted child, Macromedia, is the first step to eventual self destruction. Sad :-(

21. Jason says:

I agree with quite a few of the comments being made, but from a business point of view can see why Adobe’s had to reign in the Flash player on mobile devices and opt for the Air strategy they now appear to be pushing.
    The complete bungling of pretty much everything to do with the well established Flash brand over the last 12 months by Adobe has been breathtaking however. As my livelyhood relies on the perception of Flash and what it’s capable of (and at what price point) being strongly positioned, I (and others) are starting to feel a good dosage of vitriol towards Adobe. I realise the goal posts have changed (thanks Steve) but if we’re now expected to be pushing Air as a legitimate solution to clients and stakeholders, then a wee bit of help from the mother ship would be greatly appreciated.
    Where are the case studies detailing Air Vs HTML5 Vs Native App projects and how each of the technologies succeed and fail? Is Adobe spread too thinly across these three technologies that it can no longer advocate in a meaningful way any of them? The problem is, you can’t be everything to everyone, and that’s where I think Adobe has dropped the ball – pick a tech, develop it to it’s fullest, put everything behind it, and the developer community may just follow. As it stands now, we’re left scrambling for paths forward – a path that probably won’t involve Adobe if the current trend continues.

22. nebby says:

So Flash is never going to work with ICS, or at least 4.0.4 or above? I’d rather have Gingerbread.

23. I use Google Chrome with Windows7 and Flash Player comes integrated with Chrome that is fantastic move !

Why can’t mobile Chrome be this way also ?
    The new Windows 10 Metro will have this feature.

The processor’s of mobile and tablet’s are getting stronger each time a new device is release we now have quad cores in the new device and this will get even stronger with time…

Don’t get me wrong AIR is awesome but the lifeblood of Flash is being able to play in the Browser.

A lot of people are saying Flash is dead or is dying… because of what Steve Jobs wrote.
    Ironically Steve Jobs died not long after the release of is toughts on Flash.

And has a Flash developper and power user I was not convince of what he was saying, this was a reason for Apple to gain more control because a lot of Flash products are free.

When hearing of this I immediatly changed my iPhone for an Android device that was going to support Flash. And when Flash Player was able to be on the Android Browser I was so happy.

Now it looks like things are changing for the worst !
    Adobe making this move looks strange and someone is pulling the strings to kill off Flash…

24. Wendi says:

Ok, I just bought a new HTC Evo Design 4G phone. I specifically bought an Android phone so that it would support Flash. Now I find out that my phone has Android 4.0.3, so no Flash for me. I don’t watch any videos, but I need Flash for other websites that I use regularly. I AM SO UPSET! I have the Flash app through GooglePlay, but the websites I use are still not working. When I try, it says that I need to install Flash.

25. TATA bye bye bye Adobe!!!!

26. Google should remove flash format usage from youtube. Being an Android developer. Flash is not a big deal. I am boycotting flash from now. What the hell is going? if users are not going to get flash plugins from Android 4.1.

• illiad says:

yes, about a year ago, Youtube made a big show about using HTML5… No sign of it now…

Unless I am not using an ‘up-to-date’ browser ??
      - this is due to it not having the compatibility I need – I am not one who prefers ‘glamor’ to ‘ability’ !!!

27. thank god i didn’t ported my game engine in Flash!!!

28. Steven says:

After reading this and several other sites…i realy don’t understand why it’s being discontinued for a number of reasons 1) the internet is NOT google or youtube or itunes etc, so all it is doing is restricting access to many websites that require flash 2) i play flash games within the browser, how are we able to play them if we upgrade our phones or tablets to anything higher than ICS?i plug my tablet via HDMI lead into the tv to stream videos(movies, tv shows etc)and play games using the tablet like a remote or joypad 3) 1 plugin is better than having a list of 200 apps for every video site on the net(and most don’t even have them) and the app list gets bloated and clutterd…while flash maybe large in size, the amount of apps required if every site that required it made an app would be hugely bigger and probably try to run in the background eating up you’re bandwidth which may wreak havoc on capped connections especialy if the apps update often and slowdown the overall os experience…with flash, one app, benefits users more in the long run atleast until HTML5 can match it both with video and games and before the bandwagon jumps in and screams HTML5! HTML5! HTML5! It’s not ready for mainstream usage for a number of reasons 1) No one can agree on a proper codec to use, so if you run a large site which format do you use?MP4, OGG, WEBM or H.264?or must they waste TB’s of space and convert all videos to each one to satisfy every browser on the net?not everyone has the financial clout like google and othere such sites to handle that amount of data 2) Using the HTML5 video tag makes it much easier to grab the video source(simply by looking at the HTML source)therefore, anyone can link directly to it, to either download it or stream it on their site in their own player or in worse case, bring the site to it’s knees (i’ll leave that bit out) 3) DRM, since HTML5 doesn’t support this and recent articles in the news about Microsoft and google etc wanting a drm option, if they implemented a drm option wouldn’t this lead to having to use more plugins?one for each site because if there was a common drm, once it got cracked then they would have to release HTML6 just for the drm and since HTML is an open standard for all to use, they would have to release the drm code so people could use it defeating it’s purpose in the first place so for the long term as it stands, sites like netflix and lovefilm won’t touch it, instead they will opt for the apps cluttering our phones and tablets…one app can avoid all these pitfalls in mobile browsing and it did and still does on ICS and before…it seems apps are now just programs of the Windows os but re-branded to sound cool! and made to view a site rather than to actualy do something that programs are made for(usualy stuff that can’t or shouldn’t be done in a web browser – cloud computing – another corportate bad idea – eats bandwidth and internet limitations, in an area where you have no signal?forget it and the law that can just take down the site with you’re info is on – megavideo anyone?someday people following the hype will learn). In an ideal world everything would just work but this is not an ideal world and dropping flash so soon is a bad decision, i would agree with it once the alternatives were finalised but discontinuing it before there are viable alternatives is like pushing people back to the 90′s and early 2000′s where we had hack everything to make it work cross browser, people complaind about ie6, well this sh*t storm is about to get real for web designers and those on the newer android os when the sites that workd stopped and for designers trying to make it compatible cross browser…all im trying to say amongst all this is that, long term HTML5 may turn out to be a better option once it has been fiinalised but for now discontinuing flash is far too early in the game, browser adoption is slow and the standards are even slower…i suspect in the future there will be allot of broken browers and hacks to make them work in the mobile world when they do finalise codecs etc and it will be back to the ie6 days when android (number) browser doesn’t support android (new number) html codec etc, for years web designers struggled against ie, looks like history will repeat itself that is ofcoarse if android is still around because the way i see it, no flash?then what advantage does it have over the iphone/pad and the new surface that is sopposed to be compatible with the win 8 desktop/laptop?NONE! So many will jump ship i think once the os that still has it stops working or needs a newer model. Bad timing, Bad decision, some will rejoice in this and those who complaind about flash being buggy, well hope you’re happy with the outcome because one app solved allot that would take a thousand or more apps to solve in the current climate. Im done.

• illiad says:

first you need to read this..
      quote:
      ” if you don’t support flash, then the big name websites get off their arse and provide an alternative. That’s why the iPlayer website works great on all iOS devices, even first generation ones. So does Youtube, Vimeo, pretty much every major website out there works great on the iPhone. It also has dedicated apps from all the major video providers: 4OD, ITV Player, Demand five, BBC iPlayer, Netflix, Lovefilm etc. Not all these are available on Android because it has flash, they don’t think it is necessary, but a dedicated app will perform far far better than flash on a website, and offers rich features that are not possible through flash.”

I have seen a lot of reviews of JB, but they all seem to avoid flash… even when they show a picture of the ‘great new browser’ – looks like they are just saying “JB is great, now lets get on with the next thing…. :P

you do know that older android will continue to be supported?? make sure you have backed up your flash.apk, you should have no problems, if you know what you are doing… Just how *desperate* are you to get JB???

“HTML5, codec, formats…”
      AIR will enable *native* video, Edge will do a lot more of the stuff flash normally does…

“Adobe’s solution for video delivery to mobile devices is centered on enabling apps. As an immediate future-proof migration path, Adobe AIR provides the same advanced **Flash based** video features, which means no changes to your content protection or video delivery infrastructure.””

quote from

also..

And do note, that very few if any have a mobile with **official** jelly bean yet… going by the slow pace of ICS uptake, you have 6 to 9 months to get thing sorted..
      Unlike the geeks and devs who cannot seem to see beyond flash.. I’ll bet that is why adobe has decided to *force* them to consider it..

I’m waiting for Aug 15 – or more stories about more delays and problems with JB!! :)

• Steven says:

I’m fully aware of Air etc but it still depends on stuffing your phone with hundreds of apps to view a site which is something i don’t agree with since allot run in the background and disabling them is pointless because most of the time they just restart and call home or to run an ad in the background(as many do, even legit apps), which to me is wrong from both a privacy and security point of view.

One app avoided the need of having to have a hundred different apps plain and simple. I view allot more than the regular BBC, 4od etc, and i don’t care about bells and whistles with video or games, i just want to click start or play and it does. I view allot of sites that build their site around the desktop/laptop because most their users are using windows…i never had a problem using flash since the tablet i have has a 1.2gz processor, 400mhz graphics processor and 1gig of ram so movies stream fine on it but what they are basicly saying now is to get something to work on android above ICS, site owners must build an app. If all android is going to be is just like IOS where you need an app to view a website then i realy do not see any advantage in using it once flash stops working on ICS and it will when sites start tell you to upgrade your flash player to a newer version.

Im in no rush to use jb but i fear in the coming months it will be force fed to anyone buying a new phone or tablet which is putting me off buying one and i think it will others too…google got people hooked onto android and now their user base has grown they are taking the one thing away that made us choose android in the first place.

Its not lazy because you decide not to build an app for you’re site because an app already exists…thats the whole purpose of a web browser -to view sites- so the whole app idea for all and sundry to me is nothing more than ridiculous.

The idea to have one standard work everywhere sounds good if everyone could agree on the standard but they can’t, HTML5 video will be a no go so the idea that one standard working everywhere still won’t be true for reasons i pointed out above…developers will avoid it because they will not want their links so easily accessible by viewing the source etc…so when it comes down to it, it will be one thing for the desktop and one thing for the tablet(as is the case with the IPad)where with flash it wasn’t, it offerd almost desktop experience on a tablet, without it, all the video sites outside of youtube and that google won’t allow in their market will no longer work or if they did create an app, we would have to download from a possible insecure source.

If i close a browser down, the sites are gone -poof- till i visit next but not with an app…like the fb app, runs all the time or restarts if you disable it but in the webpage its gone once you close it out. I can list hundreds of reasons why removing flash so soon is a bad idea and without it, i can’t see the benefits over an ipad(except maybe the price unless apple reduce it to compete)…if anyone knows of any benefits feel free to list them because i can’t think of any and this is thinking long term…if our tablets are going to have to be stuffed with countless apps then i guess long term we would be better off with windows 8 from a compatibility point of view or an ipad since it has a much better selection of apps.

I am just disapointed as many are, HTML5 video was meant to be the future but it has more holes than a block of cheese that a mouse has been chewing on. One app solved allot and we are being force fed a standard thats not even a standard yet or those at the top can’t agree on and depend on apps to view something the web browser was designed for in the first place but i guess none of this matters…the web stops being the web when everything worth viewing becomes an app.

Anyways lets see how the future pans out for the hardcore net users that use tablets to visit all kinds of sites and have a clutterd list of hundreds of background running apps…in the long term i can’t see it being sustainable unless you like a walled garden of limited sites…so it will be back to the days of doing going back to you’re desktop/laptop todo some of the most basic things the web browser should be doing but can’t.

29. Frank Stone says:

Not even commenting the clueless see through spin Adobe is using to try and justify this move, just don’t be surprised developers are leaving you flat cold passed out on the sidewalk. No adobe tax for you. Douche bag moves like this one are what kills brands. Your move D-bags.

30. masroor says:

Dear Sir / Madam,

Very sorry to hear that Adobe is withdrawing mobile flash player.

Why, because of Apple?

Why do you give up? If you look at the market share for android smart phones and tablets every quarter, the market is growing.

We accept slowly but Android has a big market share already.

You can see recently small example Samsung Galaxy S2 because the advertising is very strong.

I tell one truth most of the smart phone users can not believe a user can get a full desktop experience on a phone, due to a lack of advertising these positive tools for Android.

If you believe in your product please reconsider your decision and support android devices.

android users.

• george says:

I will come straight to the point.

I have android phone and tablet.

Lots of people including colleagues and I have Android tablets and phones.

We work at training and development colleges.

Our course materials and video clips have are flash player based. (Most of Android OS use it because of its full desktop experience)

Reasons:

The big reason to buy Android phones and tablets because it supports Flash player.

And we recommend our clients buy Android phones or tablets.

I understand the future is html5 and it is convenient for web developer

But you stop supporting flash player when at least 99% web video is compatible with html5.

In the meantime Android 4.1or any upcoming version should support both (HTLM5 and Flash player) or at least flash player please.

Many thousand users will be thankful to you if you could consider this issue: please support 4.1OS and any subsequent updates with flash player.

One of your loyal customers

31. Kosmic says:

As I understand it that one way adobe make money is to sell tools at great expense to developers on the understanding that they will produce free players such as flash player and adobe reader that will be available to a mass market. That way the developer can create a sophisticated site that is available to everyone.
    What Adobe are now saying is that they will stop supporting those products and leave the developers with previously satisfied customers who are now dis-satisified customers that now suddenly need their websites re-writing for what will soon be the majority of users who are using tablets and smart phones to view those sites. Surely its NOT JUST A VIDEO PROBLEM many sites use flash to enhance the look of the site or rather now destroy the look of the site. Some people will have spent thousands of hours developing flash content which will be useless.

Why would developers use Adobe products in the future?

Adobe seem to be attacking the very people who have supported them – so long and thanks for all the fish!

32. Riggs says:

This is great.
    We come to the end of an era …in 2012. …How apropo.

Instead of an adolescent attempt to insult the mega-wealthy at Adobe with words that will fuel their sardonically insolent narcissism, I’ll simply remind everyone that history has a brutal way of repeating itself. All great empires eventually fall, often from the slightest stratagem propagating a perilously cataclysmic butterfly effect.

A successor will rise from the shadows to satisfy the raucous hordes of billions to reign without compromise, complacency and greed…

Timeline:
    Day One:
    Commence Project Bash.

33. Pingback: RIP Adobe Flash on Android « notiziario internet

34. Pingback: RIP Adobe Flash on Android

35. Pingback: RIP Adobe Flash on Android | Textbook Geek

36. Ardyvee says:

It’s rather funny that after a while, there are no more answers to the comments. I’m sure I’m not the only one to notice this.
    But, whatever. Now we have a legitimate reason to develop a substitute for flash NOW and not in a few years. You know, like a revolution!

37. AJP1228 says:

I was thinking of buying a low-end tablet as a secondary computer and for the portability, but one of the main things I do online is play Flash-based games on Facebook such as Words With Friends and Solitaire Blitz. I also like watching/listening to YouTube videos. So how am I going to do this without Flash? I don’t have a smartphone, so I’m not familiar with how they are different than a laptop. Will I have to install an app for every different game or video site if I buy a tablet? What if I want to visit a web site which doesn’t have an app set up?

38. KiRaShi says:

From a professional standpoint as a web designer, I can see why Adobe wants to abandon Flash in favor of pushing HTML5 because its a more efficient standard and is supposed to unify everything on every device, making it easier for web developers. But essentially what Adobe has done here is pulled the plug on their end to say “Hey, web developer, get your code either into HTML5 or AIR Apps and hope to hell there’s no bugs with each different phone manufacturer.” Bad move on Adobes part as I fundamentally use flash everyday in consumption and development along with the rest of the world, and I’m sorry but I completely disagree with ‘most websites’ using HTML5 as currently I only see Dailymotion, YouTube, and some popular streaming sites working with it. What about the rest of the world? Oh well, each piece of software I use professionally seems to have an owner who pisses me off into pirating their works, because of choices resulting in loss of features or reduced functionality, or just plain stupidity in limiting the open internet to corden the user into paying more. Just like Premiere not supporting MKV despite its professional uses, I suppose all Adobe products fall into the pirates canon for me. Blog post to follow on my website I suppose.

39. Aldo Evjen says:

Definitely will try this…

40. I specifically purchased the Samsung galaxy 2 tablet 10.1 with the android 4.0.4 because i was informed it could play flash. This was purchased for business not for fun and the software we use for live streaming, video Email etc is in flash. I tried some of the 3rd party flash, complained to Samsung and was told they are working on it. If I cannot find away to get flash, I still have time to return this expensive toy. I wanted to stream, videotape etc for sites but for what I can use it for, I might as well get my money back.

41. Jim Henley says:

I could care less about watching flash videos. I need flash for some websites that are built around it. A prime example is speakeasy.net which has a flash based bandwidth test. I have to use that at work when troubleshooting internet problems.

Fortunately, I know a dirty little secret – flash works just fine on Jelly Bean, just not in the Chrome browser. Sideload Flash (the apk is readily available on numerous websites) and install FireFox and VOILA! – Flash on Jelly Bean!

42. Kyle Ross says:

Welll played Apple…I mean Adobe, but Android is not going anywhere.