Adobe Reader for Android update (10.3.1) now available!

We’re pleased to announce the availability of Adobe Reader for Android update, version 10.3.1, on the Google Play Store. All issues mentioned on this post are fixed in this update, so we encourage you to go ahead and update!

Gaurav Jain
Engineering Manager
Adobe Reader for Smartphones and Tablets

13 Responses to Adobe Reader for Android update (10.3.1) now available!

1. kk says:

Why the highlighter and underline text are not working? Thanks

2. olivia says:

prior to updating, i could annotate pdf’s but was unable to save. now that i’ve updated, i can no longer annotate because it says the same pdfs are not modifiable. is there a way to correct this?

• dgriffin says:

If this is the case, then I can describe what is happening. There are some applications, like G Drive, that sync files down to your android device as read-only files. Because they are Read Only, Adobe Reader cannot overwrite the files to save the changes. There are also some devices that are experiencing a bug in the Android OS that makes their external storage SD Card Read Only to all installed applications.
      In both cases, Reader previously would allow you to make modifications, but then would fail to save the changes out because the file was read only. When we noticed this problem we released a quick patch to prevent you getting into editing mode, to prevent your lost time.

We will in the future change to prompt you to save the file to a writeable location, but that is something that we’re only now working on. Also, to note, that this will not work in the case of the devices that are encountering the Android OS bug which prevents us from being able to write to the SD card.

Here’s a link to the google bug:

3. Bibek Ghale says:

nice apps

4. Yan says:

My biggest wish is to add or edit bookmarks of the file. I mean the “real” bookmarks which can be used as a table of contents, not something personal bookmarks which are not compatible with other pdf readers. These real bookmarks can be read in Adobe Reader of both mobile and desktop edition.

• dgriffin says:

Thanks for the feedback.
      This is something that you can do today in Adobe Acrobat, which is available on Windows and OSX.

5. R. Marron says:

Hi. I’ve been using this app with my kindle fire and it works pretty well. I thinks it saves automatically but today the app kicked me out of a file (file closed unexpectedly and I had to reopen it) and I lost all the notes and highlights i had added in the last hour. My question is: Is there a way you can save as you go manually? so nothing gets lost even if the app happens to close? and also i’m trying to figure out how to export a document that’s too large to email. I had uploaded it via google docs but im not really sure how to upload from the kindle.
    Thanks !

• dgriffin says:

Reader saves whenever you go back to the file manager, so if you want to “force” a save, you can just tap to go back.

If you have any cloud storage services, and you have the apps for that service installed, then you should be able to “Share” the finished document with the app for that cloud service to store it back. This is very generic, because I don’t know which you use, and whether they have an app in the Kindle store.

6. Sam B says:

I am having issues with saving changes to pdf files stored on my sdcard. I am running IC on an ASUS transformer pad infinity. It’s my understanding that the android bugs associated with inability to write to sdcard have been resolved in this version of Android, but I cannot get my highlighting or text inserts to save. I am editing a local copy (sdcard), and am using a =n app to sync these files with my Google Drive. However, I cannot get my local copies to retain changes at all. Am I missing something? I would appreciate any feedback you may have.
    Sam

7. Sam B says:

New discovery:
    I found many copies of these files WITH the edits, but in the /download/adobe directory on the sdcard. I see no way to tell adobe reader that I want to just overwrite the file I’m editing, not create different copies in a different location (not that useful). Additionally, I see no way to tell when adobe has saved a document, and no description of where, within the app itself. So now I’ve found my files, but this still isn’t useful to me. Any thoughts?
    Sam

• dgriffin says:

We only put PDFs into that folder when an application tells us to open a file, but does not give us access to the file they are using. Many applications, especially email apps, will send a file over in a stream, and we need to save it to storage ourselves. If an app provides us the actual file on the sdcard, we will use that instead.

From what app are you sending these files to Adobe Reader?

8. Faith says:

Is it possible to savw Adobe pdf files to my SD Card? I use my phone more than my computerand would like to access the documents on both my pphone and laptop.

• dgriffin says:

You can use Acrobat.com to share files between your desktop and phone easily. We have direct integration in our latest version of Reader Mobile. You should give it a try and see if that helps you out!