Updated Reader for iOS and Android

Today we are releasing an updated Reader for Android. We also have an iOS version ready, but it is currently awaiting Apple’s App Review process. We will release it as soon as Apple approves it, but decided to let our Android users have access now, rather than being forced to wait!

[Update 11/8/2012] Apple finally approved the Reader and the Reader is now also available on iOS devices via the App Store.

Let’s take a look at what’s new.

Cloud Storage with Acrobat.com files

The biggest addition we’re making in this update is adding Cloud file storage with Acrobat.com. You can share documents between all of your devices and computers over Acrobat.com from directly within Reader. If you’re reading a document on your laptop, but need to leave for the train, just save it to Acrobat.com, and then open it on your phone or tablet. And if you make comments on the document, we’ll automatically save it back to the cloud from your device, as well. There are a lot more cool things we’ll be able to do with this capability over time now that we have it in place, so let us know how you want to use it!

See, there really is an iOS version!

Forms Interactivity

We’ve enhanced our forms interactivity in this release as well. We introduced Field validation, calculation, and formatting on iOS in the summer, and have added it to our Android version in this update. It wasn’t ready on Android back in July, and we didn’t want to make everybody wait, but now both iOS and Android are caught up! We also added support for Field Hierarchies as well.

For more information on Field Hierarchies and how to use them, see this document on devnet: http://www.adobe.com/content/dam/Adobe/en/devnet/acrobat/pdfs/naming.pdf

FormsCentral PDF
If you haven’t used FormsCentral to collect data, you should give it a try: https://formscentral.acrobat.com/
One of the great things that FormsCentral added this year was the ability to create PDF forms that talk back to FormsCentral for data collection. We are now able to add support those PDFs in Mobile Reader now that we have support for Form interactivity on both iOS and Android.

Better Support for Selecting and Highlighting Asian Text

We’ve significantly improved our handling of Asian and Vertical text, so you can now use the full range of text selection and highlighting features on Japanese, Chinese, and Korean text. This is something that a lot of our users have been asking for, so we’re happy to deliver this improvement.

Better Printing of Comments and Forms on iOS

One of the great things about iOS is the built-in printing and PDF support. However, one of the unfortunate things is that the iOS PDF engine (unlike Apple’s desktop PDF engine) doesn’t support the whole PDF specification. In particular, it can’t handle PDF Comments or Forms properly, so when users printed out their marked up documents from Reader for iOS, they’d get the document without any markup. That’s not good. We’ve worked around this limitation in our latest update, so now if you can see it, you can print it.

BTW, we’re working on getting printing working on Android, too! Stay tuned for a future update there.

Rights Management: Watermarks

A lot of our customers who are using Rights Management place dynamic watermarks on their documents to tie the document to the person who is reading it. With our latest update, Reader for iOS and Android now supports these watermarks, expanding the range of documents that can be viewed on mobile securely. Contact your LiveCycle support specialist for more information on how to configure this for your enterprise.

Dennis Griffin
Principal Product Manager
Adobe Reader for Tablets and Smartphones

35 Responses to Updated Reader for iOS and Android

1. Pingback: Adobe Reader for iOS and Android updated with cloud storage support | The Worlds Tech Blog

2. Pingback: Adobe Reader for iOS and Android updated with cloud storage support ← techtings

3. Pingback: Adobe Reader for iOS and Android updated with cloud storage support | Compare Phone Market

4. Torsten says:

Hi,
    does the new release now offer the ability to open PDF Forms created with LiveCycle Designer?
    Your mention of Watermarks Support with LiveCycle seems to indicate so.
    Thanks.

• Gaurav Jain says:

Hi Torsten,

To clarify, this update of Adobe Reader will allow documents protected via LiveCycle Rights Management that have a dynamic watermark set to be opened. Forms created using LiveCycle Designer are not yet supported, though.

Thanks for your query.

Gaurav

• Jordan says:

Are there plans to support LiveCycle created forms in the future?

• dgriffin says:

We and the LiveCycle team are exploring options, but we do not yet have a roadmap for when or how support will be available. I apologize for the vacuous answer, but it is all I have for now.

5. Raymond Deleon says:

Hi, does this update add support for the iPhone 5 4inch screen?

6. Stuart says:

How will files be uploaded to the cloud from a desktop?

Also when do you expect the iOS version to go live?

• dgriffin says:

You can upload files to the cloud using Adobe Reader on the desktop, or by using the Acrobat.com web app. There will be more coming in the future for the desktop users as well, so stay tuned!

Regarding when iOS will be live, just as soon as Apple approves. I have very little insight into their timing or methods, and do not know. I was hopeful that it would already be completed by now.

7. Ray says:

Does the iOS version enable us to fill up forms on fillable pdf? If yes, then can we actually flatten it and save it as another name or email it?

8. wbhuang says:

reader for android will sometimes automatically switch to All Pdfs ,althouth Folder View is chosen.

I never use All Pdfs, since It never finish scanning , and cause freeze of the program, this bad feature inherited from ios should be discarded in android.

9. Jodi says:

Will the iOS version allow resetting all form fields? I’d like to be able to fill in a form, save it or send it via e-mail, then reset and start again.

• dgriffin says:

It does not have a “reset all fields” option, but you can copy the form before filling to keep as a template.

10. Jodi says:

Thanks for the quick reply. I realize I can use a template, but it’s not a very efficient workflow. Copying results in many files I’d have to manage (store, organize, or delete). I just want to send them off (or save them to Dropbox for someone else to access) once they’re filled out.

11. Raymond Deleon says:

Hi, any word on the ios version? They sure are taking their time.

12. Raymond Deleon says:

Never mind. Got it today. Thank you. Awesome update.

13. Rebecca says:

The highlight option is even worse with this update on the iPad. It used to allow me to only select the text between punctuation, but it no longer allows me to do so. Instead ,I’m only now able to select entire lines. This has changed within the same document I was using before the update, so I know it is directly related to the update.

14. Maulik says:

Hi,
    I want to know adobe provides reader library license for android for commercial use in application?

Regards,
    Maulik

15. Phil Elms says:

Are they any plans to support secure PDFs using the FileOpen add-in? It would be very useful for students in the UK to be able to open British Library journal articles from the BLs inter-library loan service.

• dgriffin says:

On mobile operating systems, particularly iOS, it is simply not possible to have such a plugin architecture to enable third party addons to our apps. Since Adobe does not own the technology, we have no plans to include it in our mobile versions of Adobe Reader.

16. Christophe says:

Are there any plans to add full button functionality? As others have said, the ‘Reset’ function would be most useful to any sensible workflow for a regularly used form.

• dgriffin says:

I don’t have any specific update, other than to say that one of the things we want to get to is enabling more of the forms workflows that customers are using. We will be adding the most requested capabilities over time.

17. George Johnson says:

I see a lot of people would like to have a Reset feature that clears the form. I would like to suggest the instead of adding such a feature to the app, that mobile Reader gains support for Reset Form actions and/or the doc.resetForm JavaScript method. This is important so that the designer can control the state of the form through actions/scripting. Ever since forms were introduced with Acrobat 3, none of the desktop versions of Reader have included a separate Reset Form feature but they do all have support for the Reset Form action and the doc.resetForm JavaScript method, as well as setting field values via JavaScript. Acrobat does have a “Clear Form” feature, but that’s important when authoring and preparing forms for distribution.

18. Kat says:

As scientist I am reading a lot of paper which are partly protected Pdfs, which means mainly commenting is allowed and most other changes are forbidden. In those cases in the Mobile Reader (iOS) I am not allowed to set comments, and I have to read and comment the paper using the Desktop Reader. Comments I made are shown later on in those files tranfered to my iPad, but could not be changed there.
    I would be very glad, if this could be fixed soon. THX

19. John says:

Why is there a “COPY” watermark showing on my files when reading them on my Acer Tablet (android 4.1)
    I don’t have the watermark showing on the same file when reading on my PC
    Please help me out. It’s very anoying when I’m trying to read a manual.

• dgriffin says:

We are looking into this issue, and have added a bug for our developers to fix. I don’t know when we will have a fix for it yet, however.

20. Gracias por la ayuda de este programa,