Feature Preview: Smart Zoom

What is a Feature Preview?

I thought it would be interesting to share some of the progress we’re making regularly, rather than having each update come along with a surprise batch of features, starting today! Expect to see a posting like this on some new feature that the team has finished a few times a month.

I won’t comment on when these features will be available, but we have regular releases. We have significant updates planned roughly quarterly, with bug fixes or minor updates in between as needed, so none of the Feature Previews I show over time will take a terribly long time to be available.

Enough explaining what I’m doing, and on to the fun!

Smart Zoom

When you’re reading something on a tablet or phone, sometimes the content isn’t at a great size to be readable, and fiddling with pinch zoom can be annoying. So we’ve implemented a Smart Zoom to make this all a little easier!

When you double-tap on a document, we look at the area of the document where you tapped, identify the “interesting” area under that and then zoom to fit that to the screen for maximum readability. It’s as simple as you tapping on what you want to look at, and we focus your view on what you want to see. And when you want to zoom back out, just double-tap again and we’ll reset to your original zoom.

It’s hard to show such a feature since there’s no visible UI, but I’ve taken some screenshots of the feature in action that should give you an idea how it works.

Say you’re looking at this document, and want to read the column of text. Just double tap over the second paragraph in the column of text:

We then analyze the document to identify what you’re interested in seeing (I highligted it in red)

And then we zoom in to fit the column to the display, so can read it!

Once you’re done, double tap again, and return to your original view!

This is a great feature, and should make reading documents a lot easier, especially on a phone where pinch zooming can be very frustrating. Let us know what you think!

Dennis Griffin
Principal Product Manager
Adobe Reader for Tablets and Smartphones

9 Responses to Feature Preview: Smart Zoom

1. Please give me adobe mobile reader

• dgriffin says:

You just need to go to iTunes, Google Play, or the Amazon App Store (whichever is on your device), look for Adobe Reader, and then install!

2. Royce says:

Big help! Great idea! Keep ‘em coming!

3. Russ Gaulin says:

Thank you Dennis. A feature request: we use ArcGIS to export maps and would love to see the mobile app have a feature as in desktop Reader to display geographic coordinates. Very impressed with latest Android version otherwise. Thanks.

4. David says:

I like, I like! Technically, is this tapping and zooming is a function of the web page or is this a demonstration of what a future version of reader will be able to do? I am researching a way to make my print publication I do in indesign and export as an animated swf file useable on an iPad / mobile device as it is on a desktop.

• dgriffin says:

Hello David.

Thanks for the comments on the functionality! And it should be partially available on iOS now, as well…we sneaked it out with the bug fix we released in December.

As far as you producing an animated swf that you can use on your iPad or other mobile device, the Adobe Flash Player is not available in the browser on those platforms. The way to use flash content there is to produce an application that uses the AIR app framework.

5. Sadeeq says:

We need adobe for nokia E series tnx for your concern .

• dgriffin says:

There was a version of Adobe Reader LE for Symbian, but the developer but between the fact that the E Series is discontinued, and the licensed developer of the Symbian version of Adobe Reader (QuickOffice) was purchased by Google, this version appears to no longer be available through normal channels.

6. JIC says:

Hi that is a great feature and works great on my Z10 Blackberry. What will be excellent in ” Text Flow ”
    Adobe only allows for two font sizes. We need at least 2 or 3 more font sizes in ” Text Flow ”
    As a medical professional my old Bold 9900 had a feature called ” View Text ” and I could read a PDF like the Reader mode on my Z10 Blackberry. Do you see more font sizes coming to ” Text Flow ” on Blackberry 10 adobe reader