Adobe Reader for Windows 8 Tablets

We recently released our first Windows 8 Tablet version of Adobe Reader.

This is very exciting for us because it is not just the first version of Reader for this new OS, but also the first Adobe app designed for Windows 8! This version of Reader is based on the same Tablet and Smartphone Reader that we already have on iOS, Android, Playbook and Windows Phone. It doesn’t yet have all of the features that those others have, but they are certainly on the way. We’re starting with the basic PDF Reading features, and we’ll be working hard to catch up to match what we’ve got on iOS and Android as we continue to improve our Mobile Reader.

We support both ARM Tablets like the interesting new Surface RT, as well as Intel devices running Windows 8, including the upcoming Surface Pro as well as all of the desktop and laptop computers coming out now.

On to a quick tour of some features and screen shots!

The Reader Home Screen, with Recent Files and some handy links

The Reader Home Screen, with Recent Files and some handy links

Windows 8 Native App

The application is completely redesigned to be a native Windows 8-style UI, with the clean toolbar design that can be swiped up from the bottom, and the charms bar that can be swiped in from the right that should be familiar with all Windows 8-style apps.

Swipe up from the edge of the screen to see the App bar

Swipe up from the edge of the screen to see the App bar

Semantic Zoom

For navigation, we support touch gestures for zoom and pan, as you’d expect, and have also added a semantic zoom to let you jump between pages, replacing the “page scrubber” that we had on the other platforms.This is a really great Windows 8 metaphor that I like the more every time I use it. This is something that is unique to our Windows 8 app.

Zoom far out to see thumbnails of all your pages, and tap one to go straight there.

Bookmarks

To find your content quickly in a document, we have support for Find and Bookmarks. We also support links, both the internal kind that are used in table of contents, as well as linking out to a web page.

Tap the bookmarks icon in the App bar to see your bookmarks, and jump anywhere in the document

But wait, there’s more!

The story doesn’t end here. We also support opening password-protected PDF, selecting and copying text, and a few other small niceties, and the team is already working on adding some more features that we’ll have available early in 2013. We want to make sure that we make what you want, so Let us know what you want to see the most by visiting our forum and posting your wishes there: http://forums.adobe.com/community/adobe_reader_forums/metro.

Dennis Griffin
Principal Product Manager
Adobe Reader for Tablets and Smartphones

90 Responses to Adobe Reader for Windows 8 Tablets

1. alex! says:

…and for windows phone 8? nothing?

• dgriffin says:

We are working on bringing this out for Windows Phone 8, but we don’t yet have a date for when it will be available.

2. elnahrery says:

this is very well

3. joseph oese says:

Very nice release

4. Jack says:

Can we open multiple PDFs and quick switch between them?
    usually I open 2 to 3 technical spec at the same time.
    Thanks

5. Rainer says:

Will Adobe Reader come for Windows Phone 8? This really good System lacks a good PDF-Reader…

• dgriffin says:

We are working on a Windows Phone 8 version, but don’t yet have a firm date for when it will be available.

• Clixt says:

It shouldn’t be that hard for W8 and WP8 shares the same kernel right?

• dgriffin says:

They share a lot, but there are many things that they do not, unfortunately. We are finding that we need to rewrite large pieces of code because the WP8 SDK does not include all of the WinRT components we use.

• kurt says:

Glad to hear an app is in the works. Windows Phone 8 desperately needs a better pdf reader. The one Microsoft released doesn’t allow pdf files to be deleted or emailed\shared and it’s very annoying.

6. parveen says:

Very nice software

• Nagz says:

Hi Griffin,

Can you kindly add ‘Share via email’ option to the Windows Phone 8 version. Its frustating to not find this in older versions …….

7. Ziyu says:

Please add full PDF support including annotation (highlight, stike, underline, typewriter, inking, basic shapes, stickers) and allow editing bookmarks.

8. Richard Cook says:

When will Adobe Reader be able to work on tablets with full javascript and Reader Extensions capabilities?

9. Martha Gilbert says:

Would somebody please explain to me how I get the Adobe reader to work on the new computer I have that has Windows 8!!!!!! I’m as lost as a ball in high weeds.

10. notun9 says:

Really miss the in browser pdf viewer, really was used to the adobe icon .. Suck to be moved from Adobe to Foxit since Foxit has old school adobe viewer for windows 8 pcs.

11. hassan says:

I give a try on a new window 8

12. Daria says:

Does it support filling in forms?

• dgriffin says:

Not yet, but the work to support it is underway, and it will be available as soon as it’s working!

13. Jitesh says:

Adobe Reader is not available for Windows phone 8 On HTC mobile phones.

• dgriffin says:

Our Windows Phone 8 app is still in development, and we plan to release it by mid year, and then enhance it regularly to catch up to our iOS and Android versions.

14. Al Myers says:

Are you also working on flash player for windows phone 8? When will that be available?

• dgriffin says:

Adobe is no longer producing the Flash Player for Phones.

• Janice says:

Reading previous posts you stated mid year for flash app for Windows 8 phone. Now there will not be one?

• dgriffin says:

I believe that I had mentioned Adobe Reader for Windows Phone 8 was coming mid-year, not Adobe Flash Player. Sorry if there was any misunderstanding.

15. Charmain38 says:

I am trying to download some files on my Surface RT from different websites and keep getting the same error. It says “Can not download all documents because you need Adobe 9.2 or later version to view”. Am I the only person that is having this issue? Is there a fix for this and if so where can I find it?

• dgriffin says:

Is this error being shown in the browser itself? If so, then the problem is that the website you are going to is not “mobile ready”, and is assuming that the Adobe Reader Browser Plugin is available.

16. Bill Pedersen says:

I really need to be able to make comments on .pdfs. How can I do that?

• dgriffin says:

We are working on adding this right now, but we don’t have a date yet when we’ll be done and in the market with it.

17. Pisces says:

This is a backwards move on Win 8. I need to be able to highlight text and I can’t. I need to be able to use other programs (most notably Excel, Word, calculator) at the same time, but the app is a full screen and can’t be minimised. Big thumbs down.

• dgriffin says:

This is a new-style Windows Store app, which does not operate in the “classic” windows mode. We still make the Desktop version of Adobe Reader, which has all of those features you want, and works in the classing “multi-window” UI you are used to, so I would suggest you use that, available from http://get.adobe.com/reader

• Ankit Prasad says:

There doesn’t seem to be a way to open multiple pdfs in the metro app, which I use on my surface RT as well as my laptop when using it’s touch screen. Are you thinking of adding that feature? A way to keep open and switch between two files that are open (perhaps via tabs, etc.)

18. tom says:

The usual set of options which are found in the default reader like rotating screen, or highlighting text or annotations are missing. I mean these options are what make a PDF reader. I can’t imagine using a reader without annotations or text highlighting.

• dgriffin says:

Reader Touch does responde to orientation changes of the device. What is it that you are seeing?

And we are currently working on adding the Highlight and Notes features, as well, so they’ll be available soon.

19. dav says:

As for cons, I used to enjoy the keyboard shortcuts and the options with mouse. Okay, I guess mouse options are redundant but I love Windows 8 because of the Keyboard Shortcuts. Maybe the app was made with the touch interface in mind, but I guess Adobe can make a different app for us PC users.

• dgriffin says:

We are working on improving how Reader Touch works with Keyboard and Mouse, and you should expect us to continue to do so with every update we have.
      Thanks for the feedback!

20. Nifty Styles says:

Dear Sirs,

Is there any chance you could enable the use of buttons in the Touch version?
    Having switched to a tablet I’ve downloaded it but found that the buttons we have in our company library (all created in PDF using Acrobat Pro) don’t work. I have had the same problem with your reader for iPad but Goodreader have a very good solution in that environment.
    I am surprised, to say the least, that this does not work as it would appear a basic, well established PDF method of navigation through a collection of interlinked documents.

Regards,
    N Styles
    (Norfolk, England)

21. koy says:

Thank you for the Info/help.!

22. koy says:

Than you.!!!

23. Matt says:

Does the Acrobat Surface app allow for the same interactive features as the Acrobat app for my desktop?

• dgriffin says:

We don’t have Acrobat for the Surface. We have Reader for Touch devices. Reader Touch does not have the full Desktop feature set, however. It is based on our Mobile Reader app for iOS and Android, and is rapidly catching up with those apps.

If there are features you need from the Desktop version, I would suggest you continue using the Desktop app for now.

24. carly says:

how do I download the adobe app for windows RT surface tablet?

25. publichealth says:

I use Adobe app for iOS for work documents and works great with the exception of “buttons” but the Windows Adobe Reader app lacks most support that the iOS app has. I now have to use a Windows Surface Pro tablet and the Windows 8 Reader app will not allow me to save the file for some reason, even Microsoft doesn’t know why. If you could come up with a way to input text into form fields and check boxes and buttons along with a signing feature as in iOS I know many many many many individuals in my line of work that would switch to using your product.

• rahulban says:

We continuously add features in our releases and the features you have mentioned are already on radar. As a policy, i can not comment on when these will be available. Thanks for using Adobe Reader mobile.
      -Rahul

26. kimberly says:

when will highlighting become available? For me, this app is pretty much useless without being able to at least highlight. thank you.

• dgriffin says:

It will be coming in June. We are just now finishing an update that includes it!

27. D Riggins says:

So where can I get Adobe Reader for Windows 8? Your download site does not indicate which version is for Windows 8.

• dgriffin says:

To install Adobe Reader Touch for Windows 8, you need to use the Windows Store.

In the “Metro UI” of Windows 8, launch the “Store” app. It’s a green tile with a white shopping bag with an iconic windows logo on it. Search for Adobe Reader, and follow the store install prompts to install the app.

28. steve watznauer says:

I have a surface tab with RT. I use quickbooks online for business. I downloaded the acrobat app for tablets. I can’t open my invoices for printing, it says I need to down load adobe acrobat reader to print the invoice. I have associated the app with all pdf files. Do you know why it will not open the invoices in the preview window?? I need help with this to use my tab in my business. Any help at all would be much appreciated.
    Steve

• dgriffin says:

When you say that you cannot open the invoices for printing, and that you see some message, what application are you in when you see that message? Is this a dialog that appears in the browser?

If the message is in the browser, then the quickbooks online website may not be compatible with the new Windows 8 version of IE, which does not allow plugins in the browser. Unfortunately, if that is the case, there is nothing that we at Adobe can do…you will need to talk to Intuit to update their service to be compatible with the new OSes.

29. Arlana says:

Can you add comments in adobe when viewing, lets say a PowerPoint presentation?

• dgriffin says:

No, Reader only allows modifying PDF documents. If the document is a PowerPoint, you’ll need to first convert it to PDF to add comments in Adobe Reader.

30. Jack says:

I have Windows RT, downloaded Acrobat Reader from Windows Store, when trying to open pdf file , this the message I got:
    “To view the full contents of this document, you need a later version of the PDF viewer. You can upgrade to the latest version of Adobe Reader from http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html
    For further support, go to http://www.adobe.com/support/products/acrreader.html

Please help.

• dgriffin says:

This is because the specific document you are trying to read is what is called a “Dynamic XFA” Unfortunately we don’t have a timeframe for when we will be able to support this.

31. Tim Smith says:

Hi Dennis,
    We have scenarios where we’d like to use Adobe Reader Touch on Windows 8 Pro tablets in an enterprise environment and deploy Adobe Reader Touch to the tablets via Microsoft’s SCCM software deployment or build Adobe Reader Touch in our SOE.

Does Adobe Reader Touch have an installation package available where no connection to the Internet or Microsoft Store accounts are required?

• dgriffin says:

We do not yet have an enterprise redistributable for Windows 8 ‘Metro’, but we are hearing more interest, so we will look into it now.

32. Paul Dykstra says:

When is the ability to make my own bookmarks expected? Are you all working on this feature?

• rahulban says:

Thanks for using Adobe Reader. We are looking into this feature but as a policy we can not comment on when this will be available.

33. Adam B says:

I purchased a Dell XPS10 tablet with Wndows RT so I could read my college textbooks. The textbooks are password controlled and cannot be opened on the tablet. The e-books are protected by “protectedpdf” if that helps any.
    When will I be able to open password protected pdfs on this tablet?

Thank you in advance for your time and assistance

• dgriffin says:

We have heard some requests for support of this third party protection technology, but we don’t have any timeframe when we will be able to support it.

34. JT says:

On a Windows 8 Pro tablet, how do you go to a specific page? FAQ says slide up and it highlights the page number which should be selectable to enter a page to go to…but it only displays the page, it is NOT selectable. Kind of hard scrolling to page 321…if you know what I mean :)

• dgriffin says:

So you tap on the page number, and it does not allow you to type a new page number? Are you sure that you have the latest update of Reader Touch?

35. JT says:

that’s correct. How do you tell what version Reader this is? Did not see it installed in the Windows 8 Control panel list of apps installed, and did not see “About” on any of the Adobe menu options.

36. obie says:

Good start – I look forward to the rest of the adobe apps implementing touch

37. JT says:

any thoughts?

38. MetroDevCK says:

Adobe Reader Touch is a Windows Store app (not a desktop app). So you don’t find it in the Windows 8 Control Panel.
    It sounds like you have an older version of Adobe Reader Touch.
    FAQ: How to update Adobe Reader Touch to the latest version
    If you have any questions about how to use Adobe Reader Touch, please visit the Adobe Reader Touch user forum.

39. Chris says:

Does the Windows RT version of Adobe Reader now support the editing of PDFs?

• dgriffin says:

Adobe Reader for Windows RT allows users to highlight, strike, and underline text, and to add notes. But it does not allow other edits to the document or content.

40. Lori says:

Is there an easy way to separate a multipage PDF document using the adobe reader on surface RT into separate pages, rename, and save them with a new PDF file name. Any info explaining this would be helpful to my efforts. Thanks

• dgriffin says:

We don’t have the capability to do these sort of document edits in Adobe Reader. Adobe Acrobat does allow that, but we currently don’t have an Acrobat app that will run on a Surface RT. You’ll need to have an intel-powered device to use Adobe Acrobat.

41. Jesus Romero says:

Do you have any plans to create a reader for any tablet primarily IOS or Windows 8 that can edit/ update XFA forms? This is a sorely needed feature.

• dgriffin says:

There are two sorts of XFA Form. Static XFA and Dynamic XFA.
      We are looking into support of Static XFA forms, which are much more common than Dynamic XFA. Static XFA currently renders in our mobile Reader applications, but is not fillable.

Dynamic XFA shows proxy document that tells users to open in Adobe Reader 9 or newer, and support for that is a different challenge entirely.

Which do you require?

42. Richard Cook says:

Do Adobe intend to give Reader full javascript and Reader Extensions capability at some point in the future?

43. Jeff Johnson says:

How can I turn off full screen? Sometimes want to see a pdf and word document or website simultaneously for information and research. I’m using Windows 8 on a laptop. Thanks

44. Hakim Miah says:

Hi there, I have downloaded this app to my windows surface RT and would like to know if its possible to view hyperlinks that are embedded within the PDF and linked to files saved on the local drive. I am unable to open the links but can open hyperlinks to the Internet. Please let me know if you can help. Thanks

• dgriffin says:

We don’t yet have the ability to open links to files on the local machine, but thanks for the feedback!