Adobe Reader Touch for Windows 8 Update Released

We are happy to announce the release of our first update of Adobe Reader Touch for Windows 8, just a little over a month after our launch.

We’ve heard a lot of great feedback from users over the past month about what they want to see added most, and we got a few of those changes out today. You should see that an update is available now!

The changes we added are:

Easier document navigation with a keyboard and mouse

We had focused so much on the Surface experience that we missed an important detail…providing an easy way for mouse users to know how to zoom in and out! It was always possible using the standard shortcut keys: Ctrl-“+” to zoom in, Ctrl-“-” to zoom out, and Ctrl-Mousewheel to zoom as you choose, but those are hidden. We added a simple [+] and [-] buttons to the screen for mouse users now! They’ll only appear when you’re using a mouse, so they aren’t in the way for touch users.

View Sticky Notes

We didn’t have this annotation displaying in our initial release, but we’ve added it in this update. And we’re busy working on allowing you to add new sticky notes, too. That should be available in our next update, along with highlighting text.

Name Change to Adobe Reader Touch

You may notice that our “Metro” version is now called Adobe Reader Touch. This will help users who have hybrid desktop systems tell which version of Adobe Reader is which in the Windows UI and control panels.

We’re still working on getting printing finished, and we plan to have that available as soon as it is. And we’ve got some other exciting things on the way as well!

Dennis Griffin
Principal Product Manager
Adobe Reader for Tablets and Smartphones

34 Responses to Adobe Reader Touch for Windows 8 Update Released

1. Arif says:

hi I was looking for this sticky note option in Adobe reader touch. However, it does not appear on my tablet. I tried to add several sticky notes but I could not do that. Can you tell me how can I do that.

Thanks
    Arif

• dgriffin says:

We are working on enhancing Reader to allow adding of notes, but for now we can show existing notes.

2. randy says:

pdf files created with adobe reader do not open in reader touch. touch says the files are corrupt. These same files open in regular reader. this is a new laptop running windows 8. all apps are current. I only downloaded regular reader to verify the files are not corrupt. any fix for this

3. Kurt Moskal says:

Ps, When on using a Surface RT, the Windows Reader can’t print annotations in a PDF file. I created a USPS shipping label and they use annotations to print the bar codes and the postage codes. Your view displays the annotations but can’t print, Microsoft reader can print, but not the annotations. Again, hurry up with the printing.

• dgriffin says:

We are working on it, and will definitely be printing the annotations and forms contents when we update!

4. Why can’t I open the secure files on the web site?

• dgriffin says:

I’m sorry, but I don’t understand the question. Are these LiveCycle Rights Managed documents? If so, then for now you will need to get the desktop version of Reader if you are using an Intel device.

5. Bob says:

Please advise when printing facility available for windows 8 & Adobe Reader; it’s b!@#$%^ frustrating without it

• dgriffin says:

We are working hard on this, and hope to have it out soon, but we want to make sure that it works properly before we release it. This is absolutely the highest priority item we have!

6. Marco Hessel says:

Hallo
    Ihre Hilfe ist nur englisch bin aber deutsch und kann kein ausländisch
    Wie kann ich mit Adobe Touch win8 drucken?
    Danke

7. boggarapu venkateswara rao says:

ALL ADOBE PRODUCTS VERY GOOD WORKING AND MUST IMPORTACE

8. SATYANAND KOMMURI says:

I think the update may be more attractive..

9. christalle morris says:

sometimes adobe opens up my school docs and sometimes it says adobe file is corrupt and cannot open. why does this happen?

10. JoshEAC says:

I seem to have found a bug: PDF’s created on my laptop using HP Scanner software are unreadable by the Touch version, though they read fine using Adobe Reader XI. Adobe Reader Touch says “The document cannot be opened because it is corrupted or damaged.” Not a huge problem, as I can read the majority of PDFs using Reader XI, but thought you might like to know if you’re unaware of it.

• dgriffin says:

Thanks for the info. I believe that we’ve fixed this bug, and the fix will be part of our next update.

11. Chris Watson says:

Can it really be that I cannot print anything using Adobe and windows 8 – I need a boarding card which automatically opens as a PDF

12. rtwood says:

When will we be able to fill out PDF forms on Adobe Reader touch for Windows 8?

• dgriffin says:

We are working on it, but do not yet have a date for when it will be ready to release.

• Ivan Tavares says:

I appreciate very much Adobe Reader permit my access to its Adobe Reader Touch program.
      Thanks a lot.
      Ivan Tavares

13. Ivan Tavares says:

Thanks a lot for Adobe Reader Touch program.

14. cherry says:

I have bought a Lenovo helix with windows 8 built in and Reader.I
    I can write (only in black ) on the pdf but no way to high light.
    when I save the document and reopen again, the writing I have put on becomes totally illegible with a lot of scribbles which are, when magnified, part of my original document all jumbled up in miniature.

• dgriffin says:

Adobe Reader Touch for Windows 8 does not yet support adding comments to a PDF. What application are you using to add this writing to your document?

15. Mary says:

Does the Adobe Reader Touch allow note taking? I prefer writing notes on the pdf itself. I understand there is a comment feature, but that is only through typing. I would like to take notes with my stylus onto the pdf file.

• dgriffin says:

We don’t yet have the ability to draw on the page with the stylus, but that’s on our product roadmap. I can’t say when we will get that done, however.

16. Edgar says:

Learning that Surface RT does not support desktop Reader, I downloaded Reader Touch. I was a bit disappointed that it did not have the same features found in the desktop version for reading purposes. One of the features I really like and use is Auto-Scroll. Is there a chance that this feature will be added soon to Reader Touch?
    Thanks

• dgriffin says:

We are always looking for feedback from our users to decide what people want, so thanks for giving us the feedback!

17. bobcrain says:

I just bought an i7 win 8 laptop. I cannot open a pdf attached to an em within AOL. Or anywhere. It downloads, I see an icon,,, I cannot open . Pls advise. I can open it with another pdg reader. Adobe is default

• dgriffin says:

when you say you cannot open, do you get an error in Adobe Reader when trying to view this document? If so, then please follow up with an email to adobereader-windowsrt@adobe.com describing the issue, and include the PDF that does not open so we can look into it.

18. Janelle Orta says:

Do you have a time frame for when adobe reader touch will have form filling capabilities? We just got a surface rt and were disappointed with the PDF readers. We have several pdf forms that we have to fill in monthly and cannot use them on the rt. Any info would be great!

• dgriffin says:

We are currently working in adding form filling, and plan to have the fist phase of it available this fall. Stay tuned!