Adobe® AIR extension for Flash CS3!

YES! its coming.

I should end my blog there, but since I don’t want to be lynched let me give you a peek at what to expect.

We are planning to release an extension for Flash CS3 that will allow you to author for
Adobe® AIR. We are planning to do a prerelease at the same time as the next public release of the runtime. It will be made available as a download on our Labs site.

No, I don’t have a date.

You will be able to select AIR as the version type under the Publishing settings.

Then you will have a new "AIR – Application Settings" option in the commands menu.

Click to enlarge

This will allow anyone to quickly start authoring for Adobe AIR with Flash CS3. Looking forward to having it out to you soon.

12 Responses to Adobe® AIR extension for Flash CS3!

1. Ivan says:

Great news! Can’t wait to try it.

2. Why only in the next release and not an update to the current one?

3. franklin lyons says:

Thanks for the update! I suppose flash will have additional classes made available to deal with things like drag and drop and local files, etc. will it have the same capabilities as FLEX?

4. That’s good news – gimme, gimme, gimme now …… please 🙂

5. Hi Richard,can0t wait to see it in the Labs !thanksciao

6. pravin says:

Why adobe is treating flex bigger than flash cs3?

7. P says:

The AIR extension was released for Dreamweaver and the SDK for HTML a long time ago. Why is Flash CS3 taking such a back seat?

8. Mike Downey says:

@Ido: “Why only in the next release and not an update to the current one?”This extension will be released for the current version of Flash, Flash CS3 Professional.Regards,Mike Downey – Adobe

9. Mike Downey says:

10. Ross Ritchey says:

I believe Ido’s question was why is the update coming with the next AIR release, and not prior?

11. Richard Galvan - Adobe says:

For those wondering, we originally decided to sync our release with the next public version of AIR so that we could make sure to support all of the upcoming features and requirements of AIR. However, due to popular demand we are now planning to release our extension as soon as we have it completed and stable. Thanks to all of you who sent in your comments.I also want to address the concern that Adobe is favoring Flex over Flash. The reason Flex released their extension first has nothing to do with preferential treatment; it has to do with release schedules. They are on a different schedule than us and this time around it benefited them. Believe me when I say that the Flash team is very excited to be able to support AIR and are looking forward to do some great things with it.

12. Rezmason says:

It’s interesting that you chose to make the AIR Application an option in the Publish Settings. Will the Projector options stick around?I think this extension is going to lead to a brief amateur Flash app explosion. I don’t expect there’ll be good AIR apps, mind you, just a large number of cruddy ones.