Photoshop CC 2014.2 Update

Screen Shot 2014-10-02 at 21.36.57

CC 2014.2

Today Adobe released Photoshop CC 2014.2, this post covers the updates to this amazing release, there will be upcoming posts covering some of the items in much more detail.
Creative Cloud Libraries

This new addition to the Creative Cloud will allow you to download graphics from the Adobe Market and have them available to inside both Illustrator and Photoshop. The Libraries panel also allows you to add fonts, graphics, PSD’s, colours etc all within the Photoshop and Illustrators. Any content here will be synced automatically to your Creative Cloud storage area. This feature is a wonderful enhancement if you have ever wanted to have a global set of favourites to your workflow. Of course you can create new libraries at any time to organise your content based on your preference

New Welcome screen

Have you ever wanted to learn new features and techniques straight from within Photoshop? The new welcome screen will present videos to you based on the activities and features that you use.

Screen Shot 2014-10-02 at 21.45.06 copy

Extract Assets

There is a new menu option called Extract Assets, this option is available under the File menu. The primary use for Extract is to pull assets from the PSD comp, especially usefull for Web designers.

Screen Shot 2014-10-02 at 23.31.30

Improved Guides

The new guides feature enables new guides to be created from existing shapes on the canvas, or the ability to create new guides from a template that can be designed on the fly.

New Guides from Shape is available from the View menu option

If all layers are selected, then associated shapes will be included.

Screen Shot 2014-10-02 at 23.11.46

If just one is selected, then the menu item will create guides from just that one

Screen Shot 2014-10-02 at 23.14.56

New Guides Layout is available from the View menu option

Screen Shot 2014-10-02 at 23.16.03 copy
Windows Touch

The experimental touch features have now moved into the main line and will be enabled for touch based systems. This includes the Microsoft Surface Pro 3.
3D Printing

Photoshop now has the ability to read COLLADA rigged and animation data. This feature is available on the timeline, it allows you to pose the model at a certain point, then print it. This feature will be covered in more detailed in a later post.

Photoshop CC also supports the option to export 3D PDF’s. The Export 3D PDF option is available from the 3D menu. Selecting this option will output a PDF with all of the 3D PDF controls enabled.

Screen Shot 2014-10-02 at 23.37.36

3D PDF

Screen Shot 2014-10-02 at 23.36.54

Focus Area

The Focus Area feature has had a performance boost, which is down to the Mercury Graphics Engine

Other feature improvements and JDIs

Scripted Patterns

Scripted patterns have been moved to the Filter menu (Filter / Render / ). The different options have the same names as before Flame, Tree and Picture Frame.

The Flame option is a new addition and allows you to create a flame on a path or multiple paths..

Fill and Fill Path

Both of these options have had the UI improved.

Default Settings for Layer Styles

So that Photoshop CC makes objects more realistic and modern, default values for Layer Styles have been changed to be more conservative. This will give you a great look of elements like drop shadow out of the box.

Updated and new document presets and default document size

Photo

Screen Shot 2014-10-02 at 23.20.23 copy

Web

Screen Shot 2014-10-02 at 22.25.13 copy

Mobile app design

Screen Shot 2014-10-02 at 22.30.52 copy

Film & Video

Screen Shot 2014-10-02 at 22.32.45 copy

Iconography

Screen Shot 2014-10-02 at 22.34.28 copy
Updated default Pattern presets

You can find the new and updated patterns under Layer Styles.

Screen Shot 2014-10-02 at 23.22.49 copy

Move Tool

Holding the CMD (Mac) /CTRL (Pc)  with Move tool selected toggles Auto-Select for objects on the canvas

WORKAROUND

If this change does not suit your workflow, there is a workaround which should support the previous behaviour.

-Uncheck auto-select, don’t hold down CMD to select items In the current layers… just use CMD click to define the’ layers you wish to select.
‘We used to select our layers in the layers panel, and then use the move tool while holding CMD to drag them all at once without needing to actually target the layers with the mouse.’
So in the case above… you CMD select your layers… then DON’T hold CMD to drag them all at once. No arrows required.

Locking and unlocking layers shortcut keys have been added

• New keyboard shortcut to toggle lock selected layers (CMD/CTRL + “/”)
  • New keyboard shortcut to unlock all layers (CMD/CTRL + Opt/Alt + “/”)
  • New keyboard shortcut to show/hide selected layers (CMD/CTRL + “,”)
  • New keyboard shortcut to unhide all layers (CMD/CTRL + Opt/Alt + “,”)

New menu item to collapse all Layer Groups.

You can find this option in the fly out menu of the Layers panel

Save operation now recorded in the History panel

Screen Shot 2014-10-02 at 23.01.54

New Preference to enabling overscrolling

This feature allows you to scroll past the usual borders of an image when it’s in full view.

Screen Shot 2014-10-02 at 22.52.36 copy

Overscroll = OFF

Screen Shot 2014-10-02 at 22.57.30

Overscroll = ON, the additional scroll bars are shown in red below.

Screen Shot 2014-10-02 at 22.57.44 copy

Improved display of Properties panel for Live Shapes
Added transparency support for copy/paste from Photoshop to other applications (Mac only)

New edge padding option for Select > Modify commands

This option allows you to choose if the selection modification will go outside of the canvas edge or not. There is now a check box controller on each of the participating options under the Select /Modify option. The check box is turned off by default.

Screen Shot 2014-10-02 at 23.54.09 copy
Adaptation and Structure for Content-aware Patch and Move have been moved from a combo box to inline

Screen Shot 2014-10-02 at 22.49.01
Structure adaption for Content-aware Patch and Move have been increased from 1-5 to 1-7

Screen Shot 2014-10-02 at 22.50.41

Adobe Color panel (formerly Kuler) is now included with the shipping version

Size of the Preferences, Keyboard Shortcuts and Menus dialogs have been adjusted to fit wide-screens

Screen Shot 2014-10-02 at 22.51.24

12 Responses to Photoshop CC 2014.2 Update

1. Matt Tanis says:

Great set of updates! For this feature, “Holding the CMD (Mac) /CTRL (Pc) with Move tool selected toggles Auto-Select for objects on the canvas”, is there any way to disable this? When selecting smaller layers, using the Command button is a must for moving, otherwise just clicking and dragging to move the layer triggers the transform tool (unless zoomed in quite far), and using command and moving keeps this from happening. Please advise.

• rcurtis says:

Hi, Can you give more details. I have tested it and not able to re-produce your scenario. 2014.2 seems much more logical than previously.
      Richard

2. Martina says:

Yes, agree totally with Matt. This change really makes it difficult to move layers, creating quite a block in my workflow right now. Please tell me there’s a way to turn this feature off: Holding the CMD (Mac) /CTRL (Pc) with Move tool selected toggles Auto-Select for objects on the canvas.

• rcurtis says:

Hi,

Would you be able to write down and post an example that i can test, as the functionality is working as expected over on my environment.

Do you experience the same issue when the Preferences file has been reset? Please make sure you save you sync your preset to the creative cloud before you rest your settings.

• men bra says:

sorry for my English…
        Understanding?

• men bra says:

sorry for my English…
        I agree with Matt, in the previous version when I wanted to to move a layer that has only a little picture, I did like this: I Select the layer when auto Select is Enabled, and then I pressed the Ctrl (it turns off the auto Select) and then I can move the layer even when the Move tool is not above the pixels within this layer,
        Now when Auto Select enabled and I press the ctrl, It toggles me between ‘layer’ and ‘Group’, and Auto Select remains enabled.
        Understanding?

• Martina says:

Hi, Thanks for your response!

The issue is that I can no longer select a layer in the Layers tab, and then move it around my canvas while holding down Command + Shift. That made it really easy to move tiny or hard to select layers before. Now that feature is unusable, because when I hold down Command + Shift to move the layer, it ends up toggling the auto-select function, and instead of being able to move around that layer I selected, it ends up grabbing the entire group. Very frustrating! I’m not sure of another way to move a layer around the canvas like I was before. This is particularly useful when you have a very complex file with lots of tiny layers, and you need to select just one (or a group of them) to move around without worrying about accidentally affecting other layers in the process. It was a good way to lock everything else down, and only move the things you selected to move.

3. Min says:

It used to be that if you stepped back in History and hit Save, you could step forward again and continue working, with the ability to do do a Save As if you wanted. Now with the Save and Save As showing up as history steps, if you step back and Save your then lose work. This caught me by surprise, and I lost work. Am I missing something or does this seem really insane? Aside from using non-linear history there doesnt seem to be a way around this. Any thoughts?

• rcurtis says:

Hi,

Photoshop is now working correctly when it comes to commit points. Save is technically a commit point and will therefore commit any changes to disk, and the history is reflecting the state as of the commit.

4. men bra says:

sorry for my English…
    I agree with Matt, in the previous version when I wanted to to move a layer that has only a little picture, I did like this: I Select the layer when auto Select is Enabled, and then I pressed the Ctrl (it turns off the auto Select) and then I can move the layer even when the Move tool is not above the pixels within this layer
    Understanding?

5. Brice says:

Hi Richard,

Thanks for the blog post detailing all the recent updates!

I feel the same way as Matt and Martina. It’s not a bug we are experiencing…. This particular new “feature” is working perfectly, and that is the problem! Ha. I think we would all love a way to at least disable the move tool update, “Holding the CMD (Mac) /CTRL (Pc) with Move tool selected toggles Auto-Select for objects on the canvas”.

This update is ruining the workflow of myself and most designers I know. We used to select our layers in the layers panel, and then use the move tool while holding CMD to drag them all at once without needing to actually target the layers with the mouse. Very handy for when the layers are underneath other artwork, off the canvas, or too small to click on accurately. Now The only way to deal with those scenarios is to use the arrow keys…

6. rcurtis says:

Hi All,

I have update the post with the following workaround :-

WORKAROUND

If this change does not suit your workflow, there is a workaround which should support the previous behaviour.

I would like to thank Brice Tuttle for testing this work around for me.