FrameMaker 9 User Interface onDemand eLearning Session

I’m happy to report that this morning’s live eLearning session on the new user interface in Adobe FrameMaker 9 went extremely well and I thank everyone who participated!

I copied and pasted below a few of the comments I received through the chat pod during the session, which illustrate that while there may be a little getting used to the new interface, in the end it’s a really good thing.

For those of you who couldn’t make it and asked me for the recording, please click here to launch the Getting Started with the new User Interface in Adobe FrameMaker 9 session.

Incidentally, when you are watching any Acrobat Connect Pro demonstration (including the ones in this recording), something you may want to try is to click the “Scroll” button at the bottom left of the Connect Pro window, which will help you zoom in closer and follow the action around the presenter’s mouse.  To the right is what the button looks like in all Connect Pro recordings.

“Oh cool. I can reset my *custom* workspaces, too. Didn’t expect that. Like it.”

“Workspace definition is cool. Can you share common workspaces between several users, e.g. within one department, as possible in Adobe Illustrator, for example?”

“The new UI is a long overdue change for the better”

“Now that I’ve seen the demo, I really like the new UI.”

“i like the idea of not havng to  set up my UI eachi time i open Frame”

“genial idea this interface, and if you learn to work with it in one program you have tha same interface in all adobe programs, e.g. photoshop, indesign etc”

“Nice job. Love the new interface. Look forward to using the stuctured DITA in this interface.”

“Very impressed with new layout.  I think it will help learning curve as well.”

“Can’t wait to try this–I’d gotten used to the old UI and didn’t think this would make much difference, but now I know better…”

“glad UI finally changed … was created in early 90s.”

“I’m back. Very nice simulation.”

“Guided simulation great idea. I didn’t even read my tweets”

“These sessions are very much appreciated. Great job!”

“Hugely helpful, RJ. Thank you so much.”

“Thanks! a well-designed presentation”

I hope you enjoy the recording, and please share your thoughts about the new User Interface and the interactive simulations included in the recording.  You can do so by leaving a comment below.

I have already started working on the next eLearning session, and will post more information shortly.  If you have recommendations for future eLearning sessions, please share them with me.

,,,

11 Responses to FrameMaker 9 User Interface onDemand eLearning Session

1. Eddie Gear says:

Hi there,That is excellent. I would like to know more about the new features and enhancements available in the new version of FrameMaker.Cheers,Eddie GearHi Eddie, thank you very much for your comment and I’m glad you found this session useful. My plan is to have one of these every week and I will likely rotate between an eLearning one and a Technical Communication one, so this week I will be doing one on Captivate 4 and next week I will do another one on FrameMaker, so please stay tuned.Thanks again,RJ Jacquez

2. Jason Broome says:

Hi,I have just watched the recording of your presentation.I found it very useful, as I have never used FrameMaker and was just trying to get an insight in to it.I found it very useful for someone to show me around the working space, I’m now looking forward to more indepth tutorials in the future.ThanksJason

3. RJ Jacquez says:

Thank you for your comment, Jason! I’m glad you found it useful and will definitely keep these going and I will most certainly do another one on FrameMaker for new users of the product. If you have a specific topic in mind, please let me know.RJ

4. I am learning FrameMaker 9 right now with tutorials that are for version 8. Does anyone know how to launch Captivate from FrameMaker 9? Also, I am using Captivate 4. Does FrameMaker 9 support Captivate 4? I purchased them separately–not as the Tech Comm suite.

5. RJ Jacquez says:

Hi Mary, thanks for your comment and this is definitely possible, in fact there’s a recording I published a while back on TCS 1.x but it’s still applicable, here’s the link to the recording:http://my.adobe.acrobat.com/p25426010/Please check it out and let me know if you still have questions.Sincerely,RJ Jacquez

6. Tara says:

Hi,finally i found an E-session on framemaker!! thank YOU so much!!Can you suggest any other video learning session for basic frammaker? I have never worked in anything more advanced than Word and now I need to know FrameMaker for an upcoming project.appreciate the help

7. RJ Jacquez says:

Hi Tara, thank you for stopping by and leaving a very kind comment, it’s truly appreciated.On my list of upcoming eLearning session is one on “FrameMaker 101 for new users.” so I will post more info on the blog and on my Twitter account when I’m ready to schedule this session. @rjacquezIn the meantime, please do a search on FrameMaker training and FrameMaker books as there are a lot of great resources for brand new users.Sincerely,RJ Jacquez

8. Klaus Daube says:

Thanks for this recording which allowed me to clarify a number of questions …However, what is missing from the interface is this:- there is no indication, whether the FM window is active or not – all the time it is gray in gray. Often I end up entering text in the wrong application, because power users are more typers than mousers and clickers.- The full path of an open file can only be recognised by a mouse action (hover over the tab). There is no more a window title. Frequently I’m working on ‘identical’ files from different paths – which is which?- The gray in gray buttons are not recognisable easily. FM8 had crisp coloured buttons which helped to instantly find the desired one. On a large screen I need visual clues.

9. Yisrael Woolf says:

Very useful tutorial. I’m also a newcomer to FrameMaker and would like to know when “FrameMaker 101 for new users” will be available.Thanks,Yisrael

10. Etienne Grosjean says:

With CS5 coming, what will happen with the Technical Communication Suite? Can I buy suite 2 now and get the upgrade later?

11. RJ Jacquez says:

Hi Etienne, this is a tough question because while we have officially announced CS5, we have not announced any other news with regards to any other Suites, including our Tech Comm Suite and/or our eLearning Suite.Having said that, our policy is that if a customer has purchased a Suite and within 30 days Adobe announces a new version of the same Suite, the customer automatically gets the newer version at no additional cost. Beyond the 30-day time frame, the upgrade price applies.I know this isn’t a straightforward answer but I hope you understand.Sincerely,RJ Jacquez