Licensing error Fix in Adobe Captivate 4 Text-to-Speech

tweetmeme_url = ‘http://blogs.adobe.com/rjacquez/2009/07/licensing_error_fix_in_adobe_c.html’;
tweetmeme_source = ‘rjacquez’;

One of the great new features in Adobe Captivate 4 is the ability to convert simple text into speech, using Text-to-Speech. This feature works great out-of-the-box and it even enables one to customize the pronunciation of existing words and add new words to the dictionary.  However if you have tried doing this, you probably have noticed that you get various errors when you preview the new pronunciation, which makes it sound like you don’t have a fully licensed version of Adobe Captivate 4.

I have now heard from several customers, who have asked what is needed to correct this issue and thus I contacted our engineering team, who has provided me with a fix, and which I am sharing with you here.

I have uploaded a file to Acrobat.com, which fixes this issue, and here are the steps for you to download it and properly copy it to the correct place:

1. Use the following link to download “UserDicEng.adb” from Acrobat.com
  2. Once downloaded, navigate to the following folder for replacing the Dictionary Editor for Kate: “C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Captivate 4\VT\Kate\M16\bin”
  3. To make a backup copy of the existing UserDicEng.exe file, rename it to UserDicEng_backup.exe
  4. Now copy the file you downloaded in step 1 to the folder in step 2
  5. Rename UserDicEng.adb to UserDicEng.exe (be sure to remove .adb)
  6. Finally, repeat the same steps to replace the Dictionary Editor for Paul, by navigating to this directory: “C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Captivate 4\VT\Paul\M16\bin”

Once you have followed these steps, you will be able to add and customize existing words without received the licensing errors.  Thank you for using Adobe Captivate 4 and please RT so that you can share this fix with your own Twitter followers.

,,,,,

8 Responses to Licensing error Fix in Adobe Captivate 4 Text-to-Speech

1. Jen Oakes says:

Thank you. This is very timely news I just installed Captivate 4 yesterday and have been looking for this answer.Jen

2. Mizen says:

Reading this got me thinking as a new user. I cannot find this file”C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Captivate 4\VT\Kate\M16\bin”Why?Using Parallels/WinXP/SP3 on a iMac. Apart from this comment other things are working very smoothly.I bring this up as my first project will include coverage for CC and screen readers. Do I ned to worry about this.OT: Nice app…learning with every exercise…

3. Alaina says:

I am having trouble with the text to speech. Everytime I click on “convert to speech” it takes me to the Adobe website…any ideas?

4. RJ Jacquez says:

Hi Alaina, thanks for your comment and sorry about the trouble you are having. The reason this is happening is because the Text-to-Speech feature is a separate installation, which is available from our site and thus the reason you are being taken to the web.Please navigate to this page:http://www.adobe.com/products/captivate/At the very bottom of the page, on the left there’s a link to “Download NeoSpeech voices for Adobe Captivate”Please download this, install it and it should work fine.Sincerely,RJ Jacquez

5. Anamika Ghosh says:

At my work we have downloaded the Captivate 4 software from Adobe Licensing Web Site. Now I want to Download NeoSpeech voices for Adobe Captivate, but when I am trying to Download NeoSpeech voices fromhttp://www.adobe.com/products/captivate/It is asking me to download the free trial. I do not want the free trial as I already have the software so can you please guide me to Download NeoSpeech voices for Adobe Captivate 4. Thanks in advance

6. RJ Jacquez says:

Hi Anamika, thank you using Captivate and for leaving a comment here. I get this question quite frequently, so it’s obvious we need to simplify this process. In the meantime, I have recorded and published a short Captivate movie for you. Click HERE to watch a short Captivate movie on how to download the Text-to-Speech softwareSincerely,RJ Jacquez

7. P Bloye says:

the instructions to get the text to speech (http://my.adobe.acrobat.com/text2speechdwnld/) no longer work. The page does not have the “next steps” with the download. Is there a way to get the neospeech tts? Thanks!

8. RJ Jacquez says:

Thank you for bringing this up. Here’s the new link for where you can download the Text-to-Speech installation: http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/tdrc/index.cfm?product=captivate&loc=en%5Fus I will update the Captivate simulation to reflect this change and re-publish asap.Sincerely,RJ Jacquez