Content-Aware Fill in Photoshop CS5: Before & After

Like the rest of the Photoshop world, I can’t get enough of reading what people are saying about the new content-aware fill feature in Photoshop CS5.

I also can’t stop trying it on different images, so I decided to use this post as a place where I will showcase before and after images after applying the content-aware fill command.

tweetmeme_url = ‘http://blogs.adobe.com/rjacquez/2010/04/content-aware_fill_in_photosho.html’;

In case you missed it, yesterday I posted a video showing how this feature can be used in eLearning and Technical Documentation with Adobe Captivate and Adobe FrameMaker.

BEFORE: Image from NationalGeographic.com

AFTER

BEFORE: Image from NationalGeographic.com

AFTER

BEFORE: Image from NationalGeographic.com

AFTER

BEFORE: Image from NationalGeographic.com

AFTER

BEFORE: Image from NationalGeographic.com

AFTER

BEFORE:

AFTER:

9 Responses to Content-Aware Fill in Photoshop CS5: Before & After

1. Paul Pehrson says:

That is awesome. I hope my boss will spring for CS5. Thanks for the examples. I’d love to see a video on how easy (or hard?) it is to do what you did.

2. Paul Pehrson says:

Oh — I just found the video on your previous post. Awesome!

3. Let me caution my comments with: I hope, this not being a blog about WoW, we are all mature enough to hear everyones opinions and not start a “Flame the troll who doesn’t agree with everyone” party.That said, looking at the before and after images, I’m really not impressed. I believe I could do better the old fashion way, the old fashion way being the “I actually know what I’m doing” way. In an already cut throat field – design and media – most, not all, of the features I see coming out are nothing more than “one click” processes that once upon a time required the user to actually know what the heck they were doing. Not to bash anyone by any means as I’m talking about the software not the user; but when I see posts with such nice titles as “10 New Features In Photoshop CS5 That Will Turn A N00B Into A Pro”, you have to wonder where things are going. So the pen tool is hard for some, let’s make it to where you push a button and 7 years of experience is done for you?That’s the “learning curve” equivalent of copying the answers from the smart kid in front of you, is it not? I’m all for innovative features that actually do something not seen before, but it’s kind of aggravating when you have a new tool that does the exact same thing someone could do in 2 minutes, when behind that 2 minutes is years of experience.The only thing features like this do in my opinion is make the kid who just got an illegal copy of the program think he’s on par with the design studio down the block.

4. Kevin says:

I a furniture designer. I offten use PS to make phone for showing products to clients. Thank you for your info about the new function.www.furnitureofchina.cn

5. GReGGLeS says:

Have to say the examples above look about as professional as something done by a 5-year old kid. But then, that’s probably insulting to the 5-year old. I think if this is the best result available with the new “tool”, then I’ll stick to the clone tool where I can get a far better result. The results shown here still need a lot of work to make look anything like realistic. Seems to me that Content Aware will just add an extra superfluous layer to an already easy process. Anyone who can’t do better than this using existing tools in Photoshop should not be allowed to have a computer!Adobe… means “brick” in Spanish (getting more descriptive with each version)…

6. RJ Jacquez says:

Hi Greg, thank you for stopping by and taking the time to leave a comment. I really appreciate it. Take care.RJ

7. I can see Robert and Greggles’s points very clearly. I hadn’t thought about it in that light. I am not new to photoshop, or photography, i’m not a seasoned 20 year pro, but I have been a photographer for about 7 years now. I have learned how to use the tools the “Harder” way and gotten experience with the clone, pen and select tools, and really, find this refreshing. Sure I can do it the “hard” way, which is not too hard since I have experience in it, but it is time consuming, and I much prefer to spend less time on little things like removing things, and more time photographing or being with my family. I’ve posted a simple before and after on my website. Its nothing spectacular, these images to me are beautiful, and mine is a simple portrait of my husband on a rooftop, but I just like the ability to get rid of the little annoyances in a quicker easier fasion. So for that adobe, I thank you! Now, I have stated on my blog that this might end up being a crutch for the newer generation of people who think cause they own a camera they’re a photographer, to say “Oh I’ll photoshop content fill that out” well thats a non-professional excuse and not going to get them far in this industry. This is not a crutch to not be aware of the surroundings and frame properly. I sometimes don’t see the little things just because I get caught in the emotion and experience, but when that happens, I can content fill remove it! Again, no disrespect to the previous posters, they have valid points, but I think its just about simplifying and allowing for quicker post processing. Unfortunately it does give those people a easy way to be lazy.. Nothing much we can do about that, Canon and Nikon are making DSLR’s so easily accessible to anyone, its really something we all need to start getting used to and just finding other things to focus on. Such as making ourselves so needed and valued to our clients, that the competition is irrelevant.

8. William Smith says:

Some of you need to troll harder, no one cares about your years of experience or your photoshop epeen. The only thing that matters is how good your final product looks like. The argument that some of you are making is almost identical to “I don’t use a calculator to perform calculus, therefore my skills are more marketable,” you and I both know, that’s total bull. Take someone with equal or greater technical expertise with photoshop CS5 and have them employ the CAF tool…and then compare them to your antiquated object removal techniques and lets see who produces the better final product. (I can tell you the result if you’d like, I don’t think you will like the answer, however.)

9. Lee Menningen says:

The argument regarding “experience” above is off base. Experience does not result in simply a skill using Photoshop tools, and one cannot ever argue that new tools threatens the validity of experience.Your 20+ years experience provides you with a broader photo knowledge allowing much wiser judgments than an inexperienced person would make. That is the value of experience, not mere tool manipulation.