One of the reasons why we included Photoshop in the Adobe eLearning Suite and in the Adobe Technical Communication Suite, instead of Illustrator, is because of the tight integration it has with Adobe Captivate, namely the ability to natively import .PSD files and preserve all the layers.

tweetmeme_url = ‘http://blogs.adobe.com/rjacquez/2010/04/turning_static_adobe_captivate.html’;

With Photoshop for example, it’s really easy to edit a Captivate slide by removing unwanted areas, or moving pixels around and then bring the updated version back to Captivate. This is a fairly simple process.

However, what you may not know is that you can also use Photoshop to turn static Captivate slides into much more interactive “layered” slides.

In this video (00:22:46) I go over how to start with a static Adobe Captivate slide and then turn it into a much more engaging experience by converting various areas of the slide into Photoshop layers. I also show how to sync up audio to each imported layer using the Text-to-Speech feature. Hopefully this demo gives you ideas as to how you can use both applications together.

Click the image below to launch the video in a new window.

If you enjoyed this post, please consider sharing it with your Twitter followers by clicking the
pre-populated ReTweet button.

,,,

11 Responses to Turning static Adobe Captivate slides into interactive Photoshop Layered files [VIDEO]

1. Integration Photoshop-Captivate is one of my preferred features in eLearning suite (and TCS). Love it that you are using so much shortcuts in PS. However did not understand your shortcut to zoom to 100% (CTRL-0?),anyway think it doesn’t work on AZERTY, always use double click on zoom tool myself.Another idea for application of similar workflow. When capturing a rather complicated software one often has to capture at a higher resolution than the SWF to be published (to avoid need for scrolling). The CP-file will then be downscaled, which works rather fine if the width-height ratio is kept. In that case I do use quite often the Zoom object, to focus on important parts. If just using this Zoom-object in CP, the Zoom destination area gets more blurred with increasing the magnification. To avoid this I’m filling the Zoom destination area with a ‘better’ image. To create those images, before downscaling the CP-file I work on the captured background in PS: do create layers for all the areas I will need as images (selecting + CTRL-J). Then I import the Photoshop file with all layers except the background into the library of the downscaled CP-file. Finished: all the needed images for Zoom Destination areas are there to be used. Hope this explanation is clear enough, bit difficult without showing. But thought this to be a similar workflow to the one you showed in this blog post. Thanks for all your ideas, and my apologies for this too long comment.

2. Donal says:

This looks interesting but having to install a plugin (Acrobat Connect) just to watch a movie is seriously Web 1.0.

3. RJ Jacquez says:

Hi, thanks for your comment and with regards to your comment, you really don’t have to install the Connect plug-in to watch these videos, the Flash player is all you need.The only time you need the Connect plug-in is if you are a Presenter or a Host in an Adobe Connect Pro meeting.Thanks,RJ Jacquez

4. Diane Grolle says:

Is it possible to use another program instead of Photoshop to import layers? I use PhotoFiltre Studio, and it does the same thing as Photoshop, but produces a .pfi file with layers. I’d love to do what you have suggested here with a PhotoFiltre file.

5. RJ Jacquez says:

Hi Diane, thank you for your comment. I’m not really familiar with PhotoFiltre Studio, but I can share with that Captivate only supports imported files with layers created in Photoshop.Thanks again,RJ Jacquez

6. captiware says:

I’m really sorry, but this tutorial is just not good. It’s way too long. You could have put the same information into a 5 Minute Video (already seen one woth same content). Even 10 Minutes would be better (I personally think it would still be too long).I don’t want to insult you or something, it is just my advice that in future tutorials a lot of people would prefer a short Video with all Information needed, so you can a quick informationThis has also to do with the Adobe Connect Format: It is useful when somebody is presenting something live. But for a long tutorial videos, wehre you want to skip some parts, it is just too slow and doesn’t react fast enough.Maybe you can take this as an advice, because the information mentioned in your Videos are always useful for people working with Captivate

7. RJ Jacquez says:

Hi, thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment, I really appreciate it.I’m sorry you didn’t like this tutorial. I realize that some times I can be overly verbose by this is my style and while most people like it, I also know that some people don’t and that’s ok, too. This is the kind of presenter that I am and it works for me.Thanks again,RJ Jacquez

8. Danny McCraine says:

When I save my BMP in Photoshop, the image is not automatically going back to Captivate, as your tutorial shows. What am I missing? Can someone point me to program settings, or an article in Adobe forums? Thanks!

9. RJ Jacquez says:

Hi Danny, thank you for your comment.Regarding your question, if you selected a background in Captivate and then edited the file in Photoshop, please make sure you also “flatten” the layers in Photoshop before saving, otherwise it will not work.Please try this and let me know,RJ Jacquez

10. Danny McCraine says:

Weird. Last week it didn’t work. This week, I replicated my steps (according to your tutorial) and it worked perfectly! I even added a layer and flattened, and it still worked! Thanks for the tutorial!

11. RJ Jacquez says: