Adobe and Facebook teaming up? Time to get social!
Or: How you can use Illustrator, Photoshop, and Fireworks CS4 to design the next killer app with Facebook integration.
Just as a reminder, the Adobe Flash Platform and the Facebook Platform provide the ultimate solution for building rich, social experiences on the web. Remember that Flash is available on more than 98% of Internet-connected PCs, so people can immediately access the applications, content, and video that enable social interactions. Also, the Facebook Platform is used by millions of people everyday to connect and share with the people in their lives. Together, both platforms allow you to:
- Share: Create rich interactions for users to share with friends.
- Have fun: Make games social; let users compete against their friends.
- Connect: Let users connect to your Rich Internet Applications (RIAs) with Facebook Connect.
- Solve problems: Build RIAs that harness the power of community.
- Reach people: Reach millions of Facebook users through social distribution.
What does that mean for us designers? This is not just about code. If you check out these pages (Adobe Developer Connection), you'll see that there are infinite possibilities! Integration, games, desktop AIR applications.
The cool thing is that you, as a designer, can participate in first person...
How, if I don't know the first thing about that "ActionScript 3.0 Client Library for Facebook Platform" and "Flex"? You gotta be kidding, right?
Well, no, dear Creative Professional. And here's why:
- as a creative pro, you have all the cool ideas,
- you have the design skills that make the application look great,
- and, you have the tools to get your design to the next step: the developer!
Did you know that:
- You can create designs in Photoshop or Illustrator, open them in Fireworks, add some basic interactivity, export as an AIR application to show and then hand that off to your favorite developer so they can add that Facebook connectivity I've been talking about?
- You can create Flex mock ups in Fireworks?
Check out these cool links to get started:
- For CS4, Adobe has been working hard to integrate Fireworks with the other apps, especially Photoshop. Two of the new areas of compatibility are in layer comps and vector shape support. You can now also bring vector elements from Photoshop into Fireworks and because of this new integration with Photoshop, everything that you bring over from Photoshop is editable. In addition, Fireworks now runs the same text engine so there is less inconsistency between Fireworks, Photoshop and Illustrator in CS4. [Layers Magazine]
- Using Fireworks CS4 new create AIR package command, you can use Fireworks to prototype interactive desktop applications and deliver them directly to the client. Darrell Heath explores some of these new capabilities. [Layers Magazine]
- Create your AIR icons automatically with Fireworks, by Paul Burnett.
- Newly-added flex skinning commands in Fireworks CS4 allow quick access to skin design elements so that designers can edit the appearance of skins in their layouts, and hand off designs to developers to add database connectivity. [Layers Magazine]
Adobe teamed up with Facebook; designers team up with developers, and get those creative, and social, juices flowing!