With ADEP release running an Experience Server is as simple as double-clicking Solutions Quickstart
One needs to obtain a license file, copy license file and Solutions Quickstart to some folder and double-click Solutions Quickstart to get everything up and running *but* at times you may notice that Experience Server does not start [though it's not a problem with Solutions Quickstart] on double-click.
Solutions Quickstart is a jar file and it doesn’t start on double-click if some other program has hijacked the jar file extension i.e when we install JRE on Windows system the file “jar” is correctly associated with javaw.exe and if any other program like a zip utility is installed that utility modifies the association of jar file and when you double click Solution Quickstart instead of starting Experience Server it just opens up the file or does nothing.
In order to fix this problem, I suggest four ways :
- Right click on Solutions Quickstart jar file , In context sensitive menu Go to open with , Select Java(TM) Platform SE binary. If this option is not visible in context sensitive menu click Choose Program and Browse to <Java_Home>\jre\bin\javaw.exe , Select Java(TM) Platform SE binary in Open with dialog , Check “Always use selected program to open this kind of file”, Click OK
- Tweak the registry key “HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\jarfile\shell\open\command” to “<prefix_correct_path_till_Java_Folder>\\jre6\bin\javaw.exe” -jar “%1″ %*
- There are scores of jarfix utilities that are available on internet , You can use any such utility , One such utility is available here [Read terms & conditions , license agreement before using this utility or any such utility]
- Re-install JRE
Any of the ways suggested above should fix the problem and you should be able to start Experience Server with just a click of a button.
Alternatively Solutions Quickstart can also be started from command prompt for more information on this refer to my earlier post [Installation section] on my blog
At times users may encounter the below error message with Title “Error – Server.Processing” and message “An error occured while fetching configuration”.
When the above message is shown on Correspondence Management Manage Assets UI screen , It could be due to either of the following two things :
- Experience Server is not properly configured with a Document Server or
- Experience Server is unable to communicate with the configured Document Server
How do I check if Experience Server is properly configured with a Document Server ( Issue # 1 above )?
1. If Experience Server is running on the same machine where Document Server is run in turnkey mode [ JBoss using default ports] no additional configuration is needed to be done by user , Experience server configurations include URL to connect to Document Server running on same machine using default JBoss port
2. If Experience Server is running on a different machine than the machine that runs Document Server or If Experience Server needs to use Document Server running on JBoss using non-default port of any other supported application server like WebLogic or WebSphere then follow below steps to check the configuratio
2.1 Log on to Felix Web console http://[hostname]:[port]/system/console/bundles as admin (default admin credentials , username : admin , password:admin )
2.2 Click “Document Services Settings” Tab
2.3 Enter correct Document Server Url , username , password and Experience Server Url values and click configure
If Experience Server is properly configured with Document Server but still you are seeing the above Error (Issue # 2 mentioned above)
- Then check if you are able to connect to Document Server from the machine where you are running Experience Server
- Try to access Document Server adminui page using a browser from Experience Server http://[hostname]:[port]/adminui
If you are thinking of why should we configure Experience Server with a Document Server?
- Correspondence Management needs ADEP Forms or Output running on Document Server in order to preview or submit any letter and to kick off any post-process if attached to the letter after letter submission
Refer to more detailed install docs on official Adobe help documentation for configuring Experience Server with Document Server.