Fireworks CS4 update 10.0.3

Here is the latest new I have to share with you folks about the updater planned for Fireworks CS4 10.0.3. Below you can find the post content from Bruce Bowman, new Fireworks product manager. Watch out for the white little Adobe updater pop up in you system tray or the dock icons bouncing up and down. Once live we would love to get your feedback on it.

"There have been some recent changes in the product management team for Fireworks. Rick Jones has moved into the Fireworks Product Marketing Manager role, and I am now the Fireworks Product Manager.

It is my pleasure, as my first of what I hope will be many Fireworks blog posts, to share some really good news – we have the Fireworks CS4 10.0.3 Updater ready and we’re targeting May 6 as our go live date. Once live, it will be available via the Adobe Update Manager and on http://www.adobe.com/support/fireworks/downloads_updaters.html where you will also find release notes with details on the bugs that this updater fixes.

This updater fixes the most common bugs that we know about in Fireworks CS4, including numerous text shifting problems, stability issues on Mac and Windows, and bugs related to pasting text from Microsoft Office applications. The team would like to thank you for your patience as we developed this updater.

I’m very excited to get started in my new role, and look forward to interacting with you in the Fireworks community.

Bruce Bowman
Fireworks Product Manager"

37 Responses to Fireworks CS4 update 10.0.3

1. Skeku says:

Yay, at last!Thx for your work!

2. Scott Meier says:

3. Updated last night, with several hours of use already I would say it’s definitely more stable, jumping text is gone for me, and seems to be a little faster which is a bonus.Thanks for this needed update!

4. bastokyg says:

Interesting. No crashes yet, but text, when opening CS3 files does weird things with tabs. When trying to remove the tabs, I also end up deleting the text to the left of the tab. This is weird and frustrating.This updater makes CS4 usable (so far), but I don’t understand why you changed the text rendering engine.I’m trying to decide if I should go back to CS3 (again). I design the UI for complex enterprise software apps and text placement is critical. I’m not sure I want to go back over hundreds of screens to make sure the text is correct.Maybe it’s just me, but it seems that whenever I find something that works well, someone has to “fix” it, which invariably means that the new improved version is now broken in some way that makes me wish they had left well enough alone.

5. Sarthak says:

@bastokygCan you explain more clearly the weird behavior? What is the tab you are referring to?

6. The update keeps failing on me. I’ve tried updating using Adobe Updater and the standalone updater with no success.I get the error message:”Adobe Fireworks Cs4 10.0.3 – Failed to Install.”I have the student version of CS4 Web Premium.Any suggestions?

7. Sarthak says:

In case you are facing update installation issue through the automatic update or downloading and installing it, please send us the following logs placed at locations on different platforms specified below.WIN XP1. C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\ Installers\ . In this folder you will find Adobe Fireworks log (*.log.gz) or the Adobe Suite name (*.log.gz) with the date stamp in the file name. Send us the one corresponding to which date you have applied the patch.2. Goto Run and type “%temp%”. Files named “pbs.log” and “aum.log”.WIN VISTA1. C:\Program Files(x86)\Common Files\Adobe\ Installers\. In this folder you will find Adobe Fireworks log (*.log.gz) or the Adobe Suite name (*.log.gz) with the date stamp in the file name. Send us the one corresponding to which date you have applied the patch.2. Goto Run and type “%temp%”. Files named “pbs.log” and “aum.log”.MAC1. /Library/Logs/Adobe/Installers. In this folder you will find Adobe Fireworks log (*.log.gz) or the Adobe Suite name (*.log.gz) with the date stamp in the file name. Send us the one corresponding to which date you have applied the patch.2. “aum.log” and “pbs.log” which will be placed at /tmp .You can navigate to this location from Terminal.

8. KDeMott says:

Where should I send the .gz and log files? I have tried several times over the past 2 days to run the FW latest updater and get “installation failed”. I have tried to run it through the adobe updater and from downloaded files. (I have disconnected from the internet and shut down av and firewall for installation and still get the same generic error.)

9. Sarthak says:

@KDeMottPlease upload the files to some file share like rapidshare or alike and then post the link here.We will then investigate the logs internally and suggest any recommendations.

10. tate83 says:

hisame issue for me.. already some hints?i use CS4 design premium student edition on Mac.thnx!Tate

11. Fireworksguru says:

Hello,I have the same failed problem on mac too. And I’m unable to install the update.Is there any clues how to fix this?Thank you

12. Duncan Brown says:

Why oh why is Adobe churning out unusable software? have you all been reading the book “How to Loose Customers and Frustrate People’?I would advise anyone to not give Adobe any money until they sort the many problems with Fireworks CS4 out. I’ve had about 8 crashes today alone!!!

13. Tim Sheiner says:

Sarthak;I’m following up on your to your reply to ‘fireworks lacks spark’ discussion at getsatisfaction asking that we comment on your blog in order to be able to make contact.I have the updated version running on a Mac Leopard 10.5.7 environment.As far as the issues I am having with Fireworks, they are challenging to turn into a specific defect description because they seem to be transient and not reliably reproduceable.Overall, the impression I get is that Fireworks loses track of mouse or keyboard events.One thing that does seem to be repeatable is that if I use a key combination to invoke the zoom in or out tool, then mouse click, this works on the first action, but then I have to re-press the keys to get the tool again, rather than simply being able to hold them down and click again.I also find that simply invoking the zoom tool in this way does not always work, I may have to press the keys several times or change the exact order they went down in order to get the new tool.Another example: using the crop tool I did a click drag to place a marquee but once I released the mouse the marquee was not visible, so I could not adjust it. However when I click dragged again the marquee became visible and acted as if my new click drag was re-positioning it. I finally had to restart the app to get out of this cycle.

14. Hi SarthakI’ve been unable to run the Fireworks CS4 10.0.3 update since it was released. I have tried through the standard Adobe updater and by downloading the individual patch several times but with the same “Adobe Fireworks Cs4 10.0.3 – Failed to Install.” message.I have uploaded a ZIP file containing the .gz files to; http://www.andrewscrivener.co.uk/fw_CS4_errors.zipI also don’t seem to have the “aum.log” and “pbs.log” files in the /tmp/ directory?Hopefully they’ll be a fix to this as I haven’t been able to use Fireworks CS4 since I purchased it on the launch day last year.Many Thanks

15. Thanks Tim for the detailed bug descriptions.

16. Sarthak says:

@AndrewI would recommend you to post the comment at the Adobe Fireworks forum at http://forums.adobe.com/message/1956471. The installer team looks at this and you should be able to get a speedier response there.

17. Roy Miller says:

Similar to Tim, I’m continuously frustrated when I try install the Fireworks CS4 10.0.3 update. I’m on Windows XP, however.The update fails no matter what I try. The updater crashes. My PC is new as of January this year, and as far as I know, it’s a pretty clean box.I’d love to hear some brilliance from Sarthak or anyone else on this issue.Thanks.Roy

18. @Roy,I would suggest you to post the query to http://forums.adobe.com/message/1956471.This is where the other have reported the issue and have found the solution as well.

19. Hi,First I love Fireworks! And the features you’ve added in CS4 like Pages etc. are huge improvements. However FireWorks CS4 is really unstable and buggy to the point of not being usable. This includes the newest version 10.0.3. I’m on the newest OS X 10.5.7 on a 17″ MBP Unibody.When doing mockups of websites using symbols, buttons etc. all of a sudden when I have saved a file, my file just refuse to open in the Mac version of FireWorks. It just crashes when opening the file. Like the file has become corrupt.The first time this happened, I was desperate. Tried everything from• installing my old version of CS3,• to reinstalling a clean non updated and updated version of FireWorks CS4 on a clean machine,• to installing a trial of CS4 FireWorks in Parallels on XP.This Windows FireWorks CS4 solution was the only one that worked. When opening the corrupted file in the Windows version, it consistently gives me a “Fireworks unexpected exception : c0000094” error. But pressing “OK” it opens the file. I then save a new copy of the file from Windows. The Mac version opens this new version just fine. BUT whenever I then save the file in the FireWorks Mac version again, the file becomes corrupt yet again. And then I have to go to the Windows version again. So whenever I save a new revision of the file, it’s back to Parallels. So it seems that FireWorks for Mac has quite bug in its Save-code that corrupts files.Now I have a permanent link to FireWorks in Parallels in my dock. But it’s a pain having to launch Parallels each time I save and close my file in FireWorks Mac. Also RAM-wise when I have Photoshop, DreamWeaver, Flash, Mail etc. open as well. For my next project I’m going back to CS3 until this bug has been fixed — but I’ll definately miss the features of CS4!I’m not the only one with these problems — see .So please, please, please fix this bug.All the bestAnders, Denmark

20. Sarthak says:

@AndersAs mentioned by Arun in the mail to you, can you send us the corrupted file which was saved from mac?

21. Grant McCall says:

Fireworks CS4 on OSX is the most buggy, unstable and painfully slow app released in the series by far.For example… when the app launches and the “open recent items” panel appears, I click a recent file – CRASHES. Everytime without fail.I have a file with a measly 8 pages in it, it takes about 40 seconds to save it, and beachballs often, and it’s not afraid to just crash either.It’s just so unresponsive, you click an object or a piece of text and have to wait about 1 or 2 seconds for the properties panel to update to the new selected item.It’s just a terrible piece of software. How did this get released in this current state? I feel like I’m using an old Pentium 3.Get your act together Adobe.

22. Fireworks has been a wonderful program to use. It is perfect for quick web design.However, Adobe Fireworks CS4 is one of most unstable pieces of junk I’ve ever had the torture of using. I used Fireworks 8 without a hitch for three years, and my company (Boston Herald) upgraded to CS4, and now the app crashes or freezes up constantly. This thing is riddled with bugs. It is so shocking that a company can charge enterprise-level prices but not provide enterprise-level stability for its software.FW CS4 is also a memory hog. At this moment I have a single file open that contains five states with a canvas of 1200×2000, and perhaps 30MB of uncompressed image data, no serious filtering effects applied, and 20 text layers in total. Guess how much RAM that Windows Task Manager reports FW is using?~400MB. Nearly half a GIG.I hope Adobe hires extra developers and that the team is working overtime to put out updates that resolve these stability bugs.And don’t worry about asking me what kinds of errors I am getting, I send at least five crash reports to you guys a week.

23. Natalya says:

I have recently upgraded both my computer and software suite and I am running on CS4. Having trouble with the application opening slowly and saving changed files very slowly. Has anyone else had this set of problems? Does Vista 64 bit need to be optimized to run this properly. Is there an issue having both CS3 and CS4 installed on the same system? Please help me.

24. asd says:

im getting this message when trying install update, in japanese(win xp pro, jp) like that..cann’t install, click end button…-and sayAdobe fireworks cs4 isn’t installed.

25. Emma Rogan says:

Mac OSX 10.4.11Fireworks CS4Crashing all the time, corrupting files to render them useless.This is crap!!!Please sort out the bugs and stability issues.

26. lots2learn2 says:

I am unable to open Fireworks CS4. I get a double error message “An Internal Error has Occurred”. I have read all through the forums. I downloaded the update but when I unzip it and try to install the .exe, i get a message saying Fireworks is already installed, click exit. I don’t know what I’m doing wrong. Please help me.

27. Sarthak Singhal says:

Can you check if you have any *.dfont available on the system? If yes then try removing them and see if it helps!..Sarthak

28. joni says:

I don’t have any .dfonts. Is there anything else I can try? It is so frustrating. I have work to get done.Please help. Thank you

29. David says:

I can’t get 10.0.3 to install for months now, I’ve tried everything. Here’s the link to my log file:www.davidfriedberg.com/adobelog/11-25-2009.log.gz

30. Sarthak Singhal says:

@DavidPlease follow below steps as a workaround before applying patch ->1. cd /Configuration/Mac/Shared/AdobeAIR/SDK/runtime/Adobe AIR.frameworka. => is absolute path where “Adobe Fireworks CS4” is installed.2. Rm –f Versions/Current3. Rm –f “Adobe Air”4. Rm –f Resources

31. silavox says:

I was creating this in FW CS4 and all was working great. Suddenly, things started to slow down. I saved the file, and restarted FW. Afterwards, FW was able to open all other files except for this one, which caused it to crash.I can open it in Photoshop without crashing, but obviously it loses all formatting and layers.I’m hoping this file can give insight into some of the crashes, and hopefully someone can open it and send it back so I don’t have to lose all the hours of work creating it!

32. Ben Childs says:

Is it possible to remove an update? CS4 on OSX was at OK before [yeah, sometimes it crashes with big multi page documents, especially if there’s symbols involved which is supposed to be one of the killer features of FW] but now I’ve installed 10.0.3.x it is so slow. Really, painfully slow. And every time I close it I get the “Fire works has crashed. Ignore/restart” prompt, followed swiftly by the “send an error report” dialogue. It was perfectly usable before. I wish I’d ignored the ever-nagging Adobe Updater and stuck with v.10.Can I roll back?!?!? 🙁

33. Sarthak Singhal says:

@Ben,The quickest way would be to uninstall Fireworks CS4 alone and then install it. Ignore the updates for Fireworks Cs4 when Adobe updater bounces.

34. sanpixal says:

The update keeps failing on me. I’ve tried updating using Adobe Updater and the standalone updater with no success.I get the error message:”Adobe Fireworks Cs4 10.0.3 – Failed to Install.”I have the student version of CS4 Web Premium.Regards,SamGrayboxx Local Search – Business Guide

35. S4D johnny says:

I’m having the same problem with Fireworks 10.0.3 Update failing. I did not find the file aum.log but I found amt.log and alm.log which I put on rapidshare.

Here are the links to my log files. Any help would be appreciated.

36. phil says:

Hi

i too have suddenly and unexpectedly a problem with Fireworks 10.04.01. all was fine till the auto update. now the crop tool doesn’t work and select tool is very unresponsive. have tried reinstalling but to no avail. i hope this isn’t some awful trick to make us upgrade?

37. skaiwa says:

Excellent post at Fireworks CS4 update 10.0.3 Sarthak. I was checking continuously this blog and I am impressed! Extremely useful info particularly the last part 🙂 I care for such info a lot. I was seeking this certain information for a long time. Thank you and good luck.