Next version of Fireworks CS5 requirements?

It has been a while since Fireworks CS5 was launched. We are trying to understand the use of the release and know your feedback.

If there are only 5 things that could be improved or enhanced in the current version, what would be your priority?  You could mention a feature request, bug fix, workflow enhancement or any other change which will make you happier than ever before.

We are listening and looking for your feedback. Please prioritize your 5 asks to help us focus better. Thanks in advance.Share on Facebook

62 Responses to Next version of Fireworks CS5 requirements?

1. JohnO says:

1. Ability to link to external assets like Illustrator or Photoshop can do
    2. Improve FXG support. Open/Import FXG 2.0, better yet if it can open/save mxml skin files.
    3. Improve HTML/CSS export
    4. Support other color spaces beyond RGB

• Symbol scripts are a great idea, but so buggy they aren’t worth-while.
      If I could have one thing work flawlessly in CS5 it would be this. It would increase prototyping speed like flash did, but without the code for better team adoption.

2. Hey guys! First of all, I’m addicted to FW since version 3. All of my works, I use FW. Period.
    Well, my top 5 things are:

1- Add more resources to work with colors and images; It’s too limited.
    2- Improve export settings to Photoshop when use Filters, Bland Modes and Group layers. Always crashes. There’s a lot of bugs yet.
    3- Photoshop Live Effects it’s not the same as Photoshop.
    4- Use brushes will be awesome.
    5- The application could run in 64-bits, maybe?

Thanks for this opportunity!

Best regards,
    Everson

3. On the Mac platform
    1. Fix the lag in the interface: when you select something, there is a slight lag, before it is shown as selected in the contextual palette and the layers palette.
    2. Fix the bug: when you select something with the right-click palette on the canvas, ie arrange, bring to top, then there is always an extra palette showing on the canvas on the next click. You cant avoid it!

Thats it… hope you can fix it!

/Jesper Fagerlund

4. Same window view behavior as photoshop (pressing F) so also being able to drag the window without keeping it centered

Keep up the good work. Love the application

5. 1. Make masking work like in photoshop. Right now it’s really creating a lot of noise in my workflow.

2. Fix the gradient tool so that you can drag the gradient selector handle in a straight line. I am often having problems making the line straight. It off sets a little and is impossible to get back in to a straight line (it offsets a little)

3. Get the roundness by px fields back into FireWorks. Right now it is kind of annoying to have to drag the corners to make it the same size as other boxes.

4. Make it possible to use the arrow keys to go through the fonts. Right now I have to mouse select each font before I can see it.

5. Make it possible to have more than one master page.

6. Dev says:

1. Unified Swatches and Color Models for all CS products, esp. AI, PS, DW, FC, FB, FL.
    When working on Flex Project, it is hard to manage the color scheme across different CS products, perhaps it is time to unify the color model, swatches file, and UI of color picking (says the value fields for CYMK model positioning in Color Palette are different )

2. In-Place Editing for Grouped Object, perhaps it is better to adopt the AI or ID approach to handle the grouped objects. (In-Place Editor and Layer Selection)

3. Easier to convert Normal Shape to Auto Shape (Also, please enhance the Auto Shape options)

4. Context Sensitive UI Improvement, Instead of using Properties Inspector heavily, I suggest to use delegate some editing features back to the Palettes, like editing color would be done better on Palettes, not on the pop-up Plane over the Properties Inspector

5. More export options for latest AI files (still version 8 of AI)

7. Ale Muñoz says:

Here’s my 5, in no particular order:

To be fixed:

– Common Library: please, pretty please, give it some more polish. Right now it’s an amazingly clever idea with a very bad implementation.

– Styles: add the ability to access styles via the Fireworks API, so we can do nice stuff with them (i.e: sort them by name).

– Speed! I keep going back to CS3 (CS4 was a joke) because it’s still faster than CS5.

Feature requests:

– Webkit layers (a man can dream, can’t he? : )

– Linked files. If we had proper linked files (a la Illustrator) we could almost forget about basic symbols (but please, don’t remove Symbol Scripts, I love them)

These are my top 5 right now, but I have more ideas (including “get the Lightroom team to rewrite Fireworks from scratch”, but I guess that’s totally out of scope for a CS5 patch : )

Thanks for asking!

8. Nick says:

1. Better integration of the photoshop filters
    2. Open FXG files
    3. A unified system in all cs products for the values in the angle property on filters like drop shadow, for example, a vertical shadow has the value of 270 in FW, 90 in PS and 180 in Flash, it messes up the workflow.
    4. Update the flex display objects to reflect the Flex 4 default skins in order to have a more accurate prototype when they are used.

Those 4 from me since I’m new to the software and thats what would make my life easier.

9. Keith Lang says:

Thanks Sarthak for listening.

You and your team have been doing great work. 🙂

####

1. The Properties color picker. By far.

a) The current color workflow is optimised for creating a color in Swatches, and picking from Swatches when working with objects. I work in the opposite way — tweaking colors (via HSB) of an object until I find something I like, then wanting to create a color swatch from that. I think many people work this way. The whole flow needs a rethink.

b) I’d like to be able to use the color mixer in place of the swatch picker.
    Example: http://skitch.com/keith/d3rck/panels-mockup

c) Colors don’t update in real time (requires a mouseUp), which slows down workflow.

d) Working with color gradients is tricky too. I can’t use the Color Mixer to tweak colors in the gradient panel — clicking on colours there just opens the small swatches view. See b) mockup.

A couple of other FW users have commented to me that color picker/swatch flow in FW is generally lacking. So I think it would be worth asking a few top users what they’d like to see there. Color workflow affects **all** users, so it’s worth it!

#####

#2. Accurate importing (with edibility) of PS files. Many graphic designers work using the vector drawing tools in Photoshop. But opening these files in FW is often a compromise between accuracy and edibility — and I wish it wasn’t that way. One reason that affects me: FW lacks a Fill % control, which allows Photoshop Live Effects to work on alpha pixels. FW cannot apply Live Effects to alpha pixels.

####

3. Speed of Properties updates. CS5 update did wonders…and there’s some more optimisation to go. I’m on a reasonably new Mac here, and even for a simple document, it takes 0.5–1 second for the Properties panel to update it’s view when selecting new objects. I know CS5 FW made great improvements, but every fraction of a second counts when you use something continuously.

####

4. Layer Masks. Masking a number of items is a very common thing, and a layer mask that doesn’t require grouping etc. would make this much, much faster and easier.

####

5. Management of Panels (At least on OS X) The way panels on the right can expand themselves off the bottom of the screen is not helpful. And having those stacked panels overlap the main canvas is not helpful either, because it’s not possible to scroll a document to see what’s under the panels. I’d much prefer the panel stack to tile next to the canvas, by default.

####

I have some other requests, like allowing Smart guides to appear when nudging, being able to override smart guides with a modifier key, etc, but all those are ticketed 😉

Thanks Sarthak!

10. Thomas says:

Canvas Size:
    Next to Current page only, also Current state only

11. Peter says:

1. A Photoshop-like Color Picker.

2. Make it even easier to prototype common web elements like tables, lists, forms, HTML5 elements (ex. datepicker) etc

3. Improve the UI. There is lots to do. Update panels, make it more responsive, make everything consistent and add little features like being able to delete a workspace layout.

4. Surprise me with a great feature like the Compound Shape tools.

5. Let me resize rounded rectangles without the need to use “Fix Rounded Rect Cornes” afterwards.

12. Couple more:

– Being able to edit styles
    – Drag and move multiple pages/states at the same time
    – Better management of swatches
    – Progress bar during saving

Cheers,

Sanne

13. Henry Moran says:

All I ask for is that the Live Photoshop Effects to be the same as Photoshop Effects.

Thanks!

14. Carla says:

Live Photoshop Effects to be the same as Photoshop Effects would be great!
    Support for brushes would be perfect!

15. zukuvybz says:

By Henry Moran – 1:01 AM on October 17, 2010 Reply

^^ that, Improved saving file speeds and also not to make it look like iuts crashing (im on win7)

and also when editing colors text size effects etc to update real time instead of having to click off to see my changes (if there is a way to already do these things itll be nice for someone to let me know, appreciate it thanks :p)

16. Fireworks is still one of my absolute favorite tools to use.
    But, if I had to suggest a few things, they might be:

1) Quick Selection tools similar to Photoshop.
    2) Spot Healing and Content Aware fill/scale
    3) External linking/placing of artwork
    4) Better HTML/CSS Export

17. Lukas says:

1. Text Editor!! or Shortcut to get into the Textfield.
    2. Switch between Tabs with Shortcut (cmd+<) on OSX (It´s possible in the Cascading View)
    3. Batch Export all Layers to jpg with Layername
    4. Edit Styles and export as css. Slide and arrange Styles and forms in the Palette
    5. Thank´s for FW

18. nemrod says:

Hi!
    I’m a addict to FW since ever … so please don’t do a photoshop like
    Yes, the process of masking is different and it’s great !
    Don’t break all the work of Macromedia’s team …please.

A lot of improvement can be done just by reading : http://adobegripes.tumblr.com/search/Fireworks

But Adobe has done some great work 😉 and this open wish-list is a proof of your attention to us : Fireworks users – at least 😉

So here is my 5 things I would like to improve :

• External linking of .png or jpg (all compatibles files) >>> keep the symbol too
    >>> Like in AE Integrate the possibility of Collecting files in a folder

• A real Style editor panel : its IMPORTANT
    >>> the one we use is too small, too short … non ergonomic … what a pity for the king of interface
    • Restore the Ctrl/Cmd +W to close an edited Symbol (it’s so a waste of time to click this #&@! arrow)

• Better support of export to .PSD
    >>> For us Photoshop is NOT the standard of web tool so we need to sell time to client to convert is .PNG to .PSD
    (Sophisticated styles and groups are not well completed at this time) when his code-agency have no skills

• STABILITY … it my case I send you 5 report per day !
    >>> And as Manager, I can tell that’s it’s the same for my team.

>>> Well less marketing and more great features !

Thank you very much for this opportunity to express myself 🙂

PS : Sorry for the english, it’s no my native language.

19. The best thing that could be done is to update **text rendering** to allow it to match the OS’.

20. Lauriz says:

1. linking to external artwork (like illustrator, indesign, etc), that would also allow non-destructive scaling
    2. illustrator/photoshop colorpicker and per document color swatches
    3. redesign and speed up the gui
    4. more live filters with higher performance
    5. unify properties panel for normal and automatic/special shapes
    or 5. font dropdown like in illustrator, where you can type in and autocomplete the name of the font

21. Russ says:

I’m less interested in new features than in a continuation of the progress made with FW CS5 in improving the existing app, to wit:

1) speed improvements
    2) bug fixes
    3) UI unification
    4) better integration with other CS apps
    5) improved text rendering

You guys are doing good work, Sarthak. Thank you for asking for our feedback!

22. Maak Bow says:

1. I dont want it to riun out of memory every 5 minutes.

We have had countless issues with Fireworks CS4 and CS5 in our company. CS4 we couldnr use..
    We have it installed on many different PCs All intel Dual core or i7 processor with 4-8 GB of ram THIS ISSUE HAPPENS ON ALL OUR MACHINES. Wilth smallish or large files. Sure if thers large bitmaps or lots of vectors..I get that But we prototype in Fireworks. All boxes and arial with NO Bitmaps and it STILL CRASHES WITH MEMORY ISSUES. This is gettinf so bad we will have to look at different software. Some of our ptototypes are 40-60 pages (2 or 3 MB files size) but the issues is just as bad on tiny files with 4 pages.

2. Being able to copy a page from one file to another and keep the layers intact.

3. For better export to html options (for prototype only) I have hacked the javascript export to not use tables etc but notice “last worked on” date in the file by adobe was 2005!!!!

4. for the visual rendering to be closer to screen devices it is made to design for. IE Alias options that render Like various operating systems, browsers or techniques (@font-face). Borders of different coloron various sides like in CSS and different radii on each corner like the CS4 beta had (or was it the CS5 beta?)

5. See NUmber ONE………….. BEFORE FEATURES FIX THE BUGS

23. Scott Cranfill says:

#1: PNG-8 export bug.
    #2: Fix tabbing between fields in the Properties panel.

24. pojitonov says:

Create flow for view pages and connections, i create concept to explain this idea http://screencast.com/t/FgMaDFOmPel

25. pojitonov says:

Create flow for view pages and its connections, I create concept to explain this idea http://screencast.com/t/FgMaDFOmPel

26. Aaron Beall says:

1. Improved memory usage, less out of memory errors, 64bit, etc

2. In place editing of groups, layers panel reflecting group contents — like Illustrator’s isolate mode

3. Better PSD import feature parity: adjustment layers, clipping layer masks, convert layer comps to pages, complete layer style parity to FW filters (not the uneditable “photoshop layer style effect”)

4. Better pattern and texture menus, with categories/sub-dirs

5. Bitmap brushes with some compatibility with PS brushes

And I’ll say the things I DO NOT care to see in Fireworks:
    1. Photoshop selection tools (let Photoshop handle that)
    2. Full-scale open-standards code output (CSS, HTML, etc)
    3. Saving to Photoshop and keeping editablity (if it must go to Photoshop, I flatten design. I don’t ever want to see that PSD again, thank-you)
    4. Color space management, or other unnecessarily complex print-centric features
    5. Smart objects, UNLESS you can convert to Fireworks at any point

Looking forward to Fireworks NEXT. 🙂

27. Linus Lim says:

My List
    1. Able to import multiple and place images on canvas.
    2. Reduce the lag in Property Inspector
    3. Introduce new interface behaviour for workflow.
    (e.g. drag and drop object to page, mouse scroll support for all panel,)

4. CSS export improvements
    5. A better improved Common Library Panel

if can add few more
    6. Better search feature
    7. Left justification for text
    8. Review extensions to integrate into Fireworks
    9. Better PSD support like layer masks and adjustment layers.

Should avoid these
    1. putting photoshop features in fireworks
    2. no brushes. Can just enhance the existing strokes features

28. Taddeo says:

Let’s dream…

1) bug fixes (crash, mysterious UI behavior)
    2) UI consistence with the other Adobe apps (same keybinding too, save status, palette, icons, etc…)
    3) speed improvements (64bit, optimized memory usage, cocoa?)
    4) Improve the integration with other Adobe apps
    5) better text rendering

I love Fireworks. Don’t blow up it!

29. Annonym says:

The same font anti-aliasing in Photoshop and Photoshop import options for textures and brushes.

30. Stephen D says:

1. The number one thing for me is updating the text capabilities. There are many things in Photoshop that are still missing from Fireworks in regards to capabilities with text. They might seem simple, but they would benefit a great many people if they were finally implemented. They are as follows…
    – The addition of superscript and subscript one-click buttons. This might seem simple but when you work in the pharmaceutical design industry, you’re creating
    a multitude of footnotes and references on every design you touch.
    – This is in addition to the item listed above. Why not create one-click buttons for all types of text treatment just like it’s done in Photoshop. Fireworks currently has bold, italicize, and underline, but why not add all of the rest like (uppercase, lowercase, superscript, subscript, etc). I am guessing the text engine would also have to be updated to be able to natively support these enhancements because there is already an uppercase/lowercase command, but it doesn’t seem to be fully integrated into the text utility (more like a band aid tacked on).
    – Please add justify last left, justify last centered, and justify last right. I can’t tell you how many times using the justify last left would have come in handy as this is a CSS property (text-align) and I can’t believe it hasn’t been added in all the years of Fireworks releases.
    – Margin capabilities (with negative margin options). Once again this is very simple. I would like to see the ability to add left and right margins to text boxes. In the cases where you have bulleted lists, it would be great to be able to add left margin and edit the first line indent to accurately display these lists. It’s that simple, but it’s something that we encounter everyday that turns out to be a nightmare to layout given that we have to perform many different methods to creating the list that can really be much simpler. We’ve done these lists in Photoshop with ease, but really don’t want to have to go back to using Photoshop for digital layouts on many content pages.
    – I’ve provided a URL to view an updated property palette for reference http://www.brandonemedia.com/fireworks/

2. Speed – I think the speed has been approved, but it doesn’t seem to be all the way there yet. There is still lag time from when a user clicks on an object to when they finally receive the property information. For some reason the time seems to be (I might be wrong and I am sorry if I am) instantaneous for Photoshop and/or Illustrator.

3. More robust and higher quality brushes and tools. Fireworks has elementary brushes which can be used to mask and perform other basic tasks. I am not asking Fireworks to have the full capabilities of Photoshop when it comes to this function, but there is a ways to go. The quality of the brushing seems terrible when compared to Photoshop. There are issues when brushing over something with an effect where you’re not getting accurate touches when you tap with the brush. There is a halo effect over everything you touch. Sometimes when brushing it takes time for the brush to catch up to you. This makes you want to move back over to Photoshop to do this work when I feel that something this basic should be able to to be done in FW without doing a roundtrip.

4. Being able to edit ALL of the properties of the Photoshop live effects would be very useful. For example, if you add a gradient fill using Photoshop live effects it would be great if you could actually edit the gradient in FW. That’s just one example. I am not sure why certain properties are not editable and certain features are.

5. Ability to turn on fonts while app is running on Mac OS. I know this available on CS5 for Win.

I would read the “A Real Web Design Application” written by Jason Santa Maria http://jasonsantamaria.com/articles/a-real-web-design-application/. Jason outlines many of the new additions that can be added to Fireworks (or whatever app for that matter) to help it be more valuable as a powerful web design application.

Thanks for asking us these questions FW team. I would be more than happy to talk further about any of the items above in an effort to help better Fireworks.

31. Atilano Suarez says:

Pleaase, oh please, give back Fireworks the ability of opening FreeHand files. Why did Adobe mutilate Fireworks CS5 so badly?

32. Henrik Juhl says:

Uhh! This is a danger zone to enter but thanks for asking us!

Here’s my list:

1) The ability to import and place multiple images on canvas with external links.

2) Better text capabilities! Please! We need same anti-aliasing as PS.

3) UI consistency between PC and Mac. Especially the Object palette with arrange/align etc.

4) Font activation while FW is running.

5) Better clipboard pasting between Adobe products.

I still love Fireworks – don’t crush my heart 🙂

33. 1) Either better quality filters or better implementation of the photoshop live effects.
    2) Better text rendering. (Also since moving to Adobe Type Engine the underlines have been horrible as well).
    3) Allow Swap Symbol dialog to be sorted by alpha.
    4) Easily create tabs/navigation/etc that automatically distribute horizontal spacing based on site/set width.
    5) Performance.

34. Matt Mitchell says:

1. Please make smart symbols work properly and intergrate them into the program. They could be so good but they are buggy and the workflow is awful.

2. UI speed. make it more responsive

3. Text rendering below 13px is poor. please improve.

4. better handinling of grids. a grid maker that doesn’t rely on drawing loads of boxes to overlay on your designs!

5. Please bring back the outline mode. why did this go in CS5?

35. c roeleveld says:

1. Better text control
    I would like to see the ability to create paragraph and character styles in much the same way that indesign handles them – but in context of Fireworks I would like to see these be very 1-to-1 with what can be done in CSS. Additionally, the lack of a glyph palette, and lags in the text engine could be improved.
    2. Integrate guides, grids, margins, padding, and other CSS related design elements natively into the application.
    3. There are various GUI bugs. The swatches palette is primitave and does not allow for much custom control per document. The pages palette should have the ability to group pages and color code them.
    4. The ability to assign different guides to different pages.
    5. TYPOGRAPHY 🙂

36. JH says:

All Mac version requests

1 ) When opening a document have the window sized only as large as it needs to be when using non-applicaiton frame, non-tabbed document mode. When I open a 30px by 30px document I shouldn’t have a window filling my entire screen that I then need to resize. CS3 used to do this correctly but the tabbed document additions broke it. Also an option to disable tabbed document docking completely.

2 ) Make the filter box in the Properties panel bigger and less buggy, also the ability to duplicate, copy paste filters would be great.

3 ) Finer control over stroke size, I often find 1 is too little and 2 is too much.

4 ) Blend Modes cascading out of symbols correctly, its always a bit disappointing if I make a symbol and have the blend modes disabled.

5 ) Basic state support in Symbols, so I can add states and then when selecting a symbol that has states there should be a drop down menu in the properties panel to choose which state to display for that symbol.

6 ) Make the Photoshop live effects controls editable in FW, pattern overly etc. It’s a cruel joke at the minute when you can see the settings but not actually change them.

7 ) Symbol properties panel programmed natively instead of flash, it’s really clunky to use.

8 ) Option to rebind or disable the scroll wheel zooming when holding command, it doesn’t play nice with touch mice.

Great work with CS5, CS4 was a bit of a disaster but you really came through with CS5 it’s the most stable version yet.

37. Kemie says:

1) Better photoshop import/export. more compatibility between Ps Filters and Fw Live effects.
    2) Better mockup/prototyping tools. Easier way to mock up tables, menus, tabs.
    3) CSS properties emulating. I’d LOVE LOVE LOVE to be able to set css3 properties such as text-shadow and box-shadow and see them mocked up in Fw

38. mike says:

1. use different colored guides/multiple guide layers (which can be master guides)
    2. Set the opacity of a fill and stroke independently.
    3. A ‘live” symbol editing palette? When open, any symbol that is selected would appear in a floating editor window, and be editable in that window. Sorta like the current
    4. Document library, with the preview of the symbol at the top being bigger and workable.
    5. The ability to dock multiple (and bigger) color palettes to the color picker. I often use both the greyscale and the colour cubes palettes, surely they could appear together rather than have to be chosen one at a time.
    6. Don’t make the States palette so ubiquitous. I’ve never used it, but I always have to get rid of it as it’s linked to the default config.
    7. Edit “Symbol Properties” right in the properties palette? There’s room.
    8. Option-Clicking a symbol would bring up the symbol properties dialog box.
    9. Option-Clicking a symbol would enable you to edit the symbol properties in-place.
    10. Easily convert a color to a greyscale value of equivalent brightness.
    11. You should be able to access items within groups on the layers palette as in Illustrator.
    12. Add a pasteboard area (turn on and off with prefs) to use for bits of graphics, etc, as in Quark Xpress
    13. Fix bug in palettes, as they can crash the program.
    14. Make palette docking more user friendly. For example, who needs a Symbol Properties palette 1400 pixels wide?
    15. Expand/Improve API functionality to get at objects such as the pages array, and the layer names. Also enable API functions to operate on multiple pages without changing the pages/redrawing the screen every time.
    16. Multiple Master Pages
    17. Better support for Photoshop Live Filters. and a better interface, integrated into the program.
    18. The ability to copy and paste or drag and drop an entire layer.
    19. Styles that are really styles, that is, if you change a style, all the places where it’s applied also change. This is how styles work in every other program but Fireworks.
    20. Live incrementing of the properties palette, what I mean is if I put the cursor in the Width field, I would like to be able to hit the up cursor key and the field would increment. Like in Firebug. Holding the shift key would make the field go up in factors of 10.
    21. A repeat transformation option like in AI, or Freehand.
    22. HTML – CSS Export in Divs, not tables, with blank styles applied to each element, ready to go!
    23. Bring the Custom Symbols to the top of the Common Library. Or make it independent. Anyone making custom symbols/smart symbols will use them 1000 times more often than any of the other standard stuff in there. In fact, created custom symbols are much more important than the other stuff. I’d get rid of it altogether from the default view.
    24. Make the common library shareable over a network. (possibly an internet location, where users can share library elements)
    25. Create an app-store for library elements where designers could both upload (to sell) graphics, and buy them in the Fireworks app.
    26. Improve the Create Symbol Script Dialog. It looks amatuerish.
    27. Speed up or drop symbol editing “in page” If you have lots of symbols on a page, it is ridiculously slow.
    28. Make Smart Symbols smarter: if a text box has too much text, it should wrap and make the symbol taller.
    29. There needs to be a table-making function to build web tables. It should be able to support as inputs in FW the same types of padding, alignment, etc that html tables support. As well, it should export the table nicely in html.
    30. There should be a special cursor for selecting (moving/altering and leaving locked after) locked items, and/or a show locked items option when selected, locked items are highlighted in a special color.
    31. There should be a facility to put multiple borders/fills on an object as in Illustrator.
    32. It would be nice to be able to search a document for all occurences of a symbol.
    33. Enable Asynchronus saving like in CS3.
    34. You should be able to exit symbol editing mode by pressing command-W, or esc. Currently it’s very awkward.
    35. How about a global “Swap Symbol”?
    36. It would be nice to replace (swap) any graphic with a symbol, or with the clipboard contents.

39. mike s says:

2. Set the opacity of a fill and stroke independently.

40. mike s says:

1. Don’t make the States palette so ubiquitous. I’ve never used it, but I always have to get rid of it as it’s linked to the default config.
    2. Edit “Symbol Properties” right in the properties palette? There’s room.
    3. Option-Clicking a symbol would bring up the symbol properties dialog box.
    4. Option-Clicking a symbol would enable you to edit the symbol properties in-place.
    5. Easily convert a color to a greyscale value of equivalent brightness.

41. mike s says:

3. Fix bug in palettes, as they can crash the program.

42. mike s says:

1. Multiple Master Pages
    2. Better support for Photoshop Live Filters. and a better interface, integrated into the program.
    3. The ability to copy and paste or drag and drop an entire layer.
    4. Styles that are really styles, that is, if you change a style, all the places where it’s applied also change. This is how styles work in every other program but Fireworks.
    5. Live incrementing of the properties palette, what I mean is if I put the cursor in the Width field, I would like to be able to hit the up cursor key and the field would increment. Like in Firebug. Holding the shift key would make the field go up in factors of 10.

43. mike s says:

1. A repeat transformation option like in AI, or Freehand.

44. mike s says:

1. Improve the Create Symbol Script Dialog. It looks amatuerish.
    2. Speed up or drop symbol editing “in page” If you have lots of symbols on a page, it is ridiculously slow.
    3. Make Smart Symbols smarter: if a text box has too much text, it should wrap and make the symbol taller.
    4. There needs to be a table-making function to build web tables. It should be able to support as inputs in FW the same types of padding, alignment, etc that html tables support. As well, it should export the table nicely in html.
    5. There should be a special cursor for selecting (moving/altering and leaving locked after) locked items, and/or a show locked items option when selected, locked items are highlighted in a special color.

45. mike s says:

3. Enable Asynchronus saving like in CS3.
    5. How about a global “Swap Symbol”?

46. blue2x says:

1. Speed – increase the load time , processing of live effects , etc.

2. Fix Bugs

3. More enhancements – photoshop and illustrator gets new goodies every release, new filters, brushes etc , why can’t fireworks do that too?

4. Better templates / libraries / better support – If you check the fw libraries, some were made since 5 years ago, its time fireworks give more samples, web mockups, wireframes, buttons , textures , patterns included in the installation.

5. Fix the text – typography in fireworks sucks big time.

47. Steve Boulton says:

Full OpenType support. Quickly please.
    General Performance Updates
    Better Colour Picker – can never get along with the wheel.
    Don’t make it like PS!

Cheers.

48. Henry Moran says:

I would like better export and import functionality for PS FW. That would make my life easier to collaborate.

Thanks!

49. Stacey says:

1 View text in browser as it displays in FW
    2 Text effects
    3 more templates/libraries
    4 Css3 exporting to dreamweaver/web in div
    5 fix bugs

50. 1. Fix the (new) bug which permanently disables/greys out the “current state only” check box when exporting a page of slices with ONLY ONE STATE. As we are unable tick this box, each sprite ends up with _s1 appended to the file name (which is pretty silly given that there is only one state…the state markers are useful for multiples, not singles). There is a workaround which involves choosing to export HTML, then disabling the appended value via HTML export Options but this is lengthy to do each time and results in the generation of an un-needed html file and spacer gif.

• Adam says:

Thanks for the workaround Stephani – you just saved me hours of work. Adobe, I’m all for Stephanie’s suggestion. I just upgraded from CS3 to CS5 and though I’m grateful that there is a workaround, this is impeding my workflow. Thanks!

• Nico Haitas says:

Thanks for the work around!

I have been using FireWorks since Macromedia daysand this has to be my biggest bug bear with the new Fire works as there is only one state!!

As a web professional I have started using another program to generate my slices as this wastes so much time!!!!

Please remove this URGENTLY as I really want to return to using Fireworks!!

51. 1. More libraries of textures, patterns, styles, autoshapes bundled with install (especially more for prototyping)…. perhaps in libraries as in Illustrator’s panels bottom left
    2. Access to Open Type capabilities…. Glyphs panel, etc.
    3. The brush engine from Photoshop and Illustrator
    4. Better CSS export with HTML5 compatibility
    5. Allow multiple fills and strokes, each with own textures and patterns as well as opacity and filters (as in Illustrator’s Appearance panel)

52. p.s. PLEASE do NOT move the Properties panel from being Horizontal at the bottom of the screen to a vertical panel on the right… as the Flash team did. That setup is a nightmare!!!

53. jc says:

• STABILITY : too many crashes due to vectors and symbols, especially to vectors IN symbols. Worse since CS5

• SYMBOLS management : Why have changed this tool which worked very well? Changing the symbol background should not change the canvas background for example.

• WORSPACES, very “fragile” with some extensions memorized. Many crashes

• GRADIENTS and BLUR : their quality can be improved : if you compare a FWX gradient or blur to a Photoshop or Illustrator gradient and blur , there’s a lack of “sharpness” or sweetness

54. Matthew Greene says:

#1 and only issue – MEMORY MANAGEMENT. I have 64-Bit Windows 7 machine with 8 gigs of RAM and 32GB of VRAM. Yet everyday I receive the error “Fireworks is running low on memory. It is recommended to save all open documents and restart fireworks.” It is truly affecting my productivity.

55. Patrick Goetterman says:

Again, only one issue here…just as in CS4, FW CS5 freezes up daily with the dreaded “not enough memory” error. This is on a myriad of Win7 Ultimate 64bit machines, I have tons of memory available. It happens on my machine, it happens on the others designers machines…it is a stake in the heart of our collective productivity. I know this to be a known issue, what I cant understand it why no one seems to care.

56. Lynn Leitte says:

1. Fix the memory management issues!
    As Patrick and Matthew and many others have already stated, this is a serious and pervasive problem. With larger files, I have this error not daily but hourly! Sometimes a close and restart does not help. I *hate* to manage the design of states of the same dynamic form in several separate .png to keep the file size down just as a work around on the memory issue. It totally defeats the purpose of choosing a tool with master pages and layers.

2. better and more templates/stencils

3. copy an entire layer to another page or another png — keeping it as a layer (layer name and all) in the new location rather than blast it all over into some randomly chosen existing layer.

4. select and recombine select pages from multiple png into a new one. Similar to combining PDFs. If this is already enabled, I haven’t found it.

5. make styles act live pervasive styles.

to be a broken record, fix the memory management issue and don’t make it like PS.

57. 1. TEXT – LEFT JUSTIFY (how it can ever come not having this already?! I am unable edit my text in “justification” not having the last sentence stretched like 4 words in a row!)

2. TEXT – RIGHT JUSTIFY (how it can ever come not having this already?! I am unable edit my text in “justification” not having the last sentence stretched like 4 words in a row!)

3. TEXT – MORE CSS AS ICONS IN PROPERTIES PANEL (for those who do not know anything about CSS) + AS CODE IN SOME EXTRA WINDOW (for those who knows CSS well enough to edit it themselves)

4. COLOR – BW/GREY/WHATEVER-TO-COLOR TRANSLATION: get picture’s color-scale and replace all colors accordingly to user defined color scheme – this way we could easily make old BW fotos into real colors…like in video domain Beatles did with old ALL YOU NEED IS LOVE (original was in BW and they use this technique to make it into real colors!)

5. WORKSPACE: please make main canvas deatachable and independent from MENU as it is in GIMP

58. How oh how oh how can such a brutally fooling decision be made as is removing outline mode!??? I do not understand!! I used it many times EVERY DAY. Many of us who cut our teeth on Illustrator rely on it, to see in the stack what would otherwise be invisible. Also, selections were often easier in outline mode. BRING IT BACK!!!