Fireworks CS5 and Selection tool not working?

There was a error reported by multiple users of Fireworks CS5 on the Adobe support forums, the selection tool stops working!
This is something which I assume would be a real pain for designers specially for Fireworks since the selection is everything.

some of them investigated further and found that Spotify was somehow causing this issue. Another user reported that “Once i disabled media keys on grooveshark desktop helper the problem was fixed”

This is just a caution as we are investigating it further. I guess the apps are no longer happy to co-exist at the moment on Mac.
We have found that the issue is not limited to just CS5 version and exists in CS4 as well.

UPDATE:

The Spotify Team released a a Preview build that incorporates Joachim’s fix and should solve this issue.

You can download it here http://www.spotify.com/int/download/previews/

It worked for me and a lot of people too.

Enjoy your music inspired workflow!

11 Responses to Fireworks CS5 and Selection tool not working?

1. Rosa says:

Thank God I found this. As soon as I quit Spotify the selection tool worked again. Bloody frustrating!!! Thank you

2. Mike W says:

This is happening to me and I dont have spotify

3. Michael Gluzman says:

it happens with an app called Radium too.

4. Tom says:

Turn off the use of Apple multimedia keys functionality in those apps and your problems are gone.

5. José says:

Thanks you guys!

6. mewe says:

And I was gonna buy mac hoping its only windows issue….its pain…what can I do…I don’t have apps…? My windows did update yesterday and the tool stop working, also my brush tool doesn’t work anymore.

7. Edmund O'Connell says:

This bug is happening to me on my Mac running Lion. I DO NOT have Spotify installed.

Previously I solved it by rebooting my machine when it started to happen but now it persists even when I restart. Fireworks is totally unusable as I cannot select elements. Instead of a blue selection border it appears as red.

I have downloaded the latest update but it did not solve the problem. What to do? All my wireframes are in Fireworks and now I can’t edit them. This is appalling!

8. katrina says:

This is also happening to me, i have to either do this very weird, hard, click with my mouse as if it am trying to push the element away from the pointer, and then sometimes it selects.

Very frustrating. I don’t have Spotify or Grooveshark installed.

I’m running 5.5 and Lion.

9. Zane says:

Looks like it’s a more general conflict with the OS X media controls. I experienced the same problem while running the Sonora music player, which responds to the Apple media keys.

10. Linda Parkinson-Hardman says:

I’m running fireworks on a PC, don’t have spotify or any other apps running and this problem drives me mad. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t. When will it be sorted out?