Fireworks CS5.1 Part 1: Crashes fixed

This is part 1 of the series which goes diving into the different engineering efforts done for Fireworks CS5.1 release. Takashi Morifusa (Fireworks product manager) listed the complete set of changes on the team blog.

There are several crashes which have been fixed for Fw CS5.1 release. The major buckets under which crashes have been fixed are:

• PS Live Effects area
  • Vector tool
  • Layer naming, editing in multiple pages
  • undo/redo name change
  • Find and replace
  • Saving file
  • Opening legacy Fireworks 8 file
  • Win API related change for 64bit

How do we know crashes in these areas?

Adobe Crash reporter pops up when a crash is encountered. Some of the users report the crash which send us the call stack of the crashing function. This helps the engineers debug the actual function and fix it.

We request all customers to submit all the crash reports. We consciously spare engineering time on fixing crash buckets for every release and Crash reporter helps us in identifying the crashes which are most commonly encountered by you all.

Some users are generous in including their email address and writing in comments which has helped us immensely in the past in reproducing the issue internally and then fixing them at the grass root level. We have worked with a few users like this in the past.

Some files when opened were leading to a crash, which has been fixed now. I personally remember working with a few customers who send in the Fireworks png files and helped us nail down the issue.

8 Responses to Fireworks CS5.1 Part 1: Crashes fixed

1. Pingback: Fw CS5.1 Part 1: Crashes fixed

2. rose says:

I didn’t have any problems with CS5, but CS5.1 crashes all the time. Happens when saving or editing text. Please fix!!

3. alejandro says:

I’m very upset with adobe,,, it seems that every fireworks release is worst and worst… I’ve got a new machine with 16 gb ram 2 tera hdd, i5, windows7, and the only program that crashes 5 times a day is fireworks,,, and is the program i use 80% of the time…. some times it just freeze when exporting, some times there is some “not enough memory” message… well if 16Gb ram is not enough memory for a 200k image i don’t know what else is…

what can i do?

4. Marie-Pierre says:

I am starting to use firework. It always crashes when I try to export in pdf. Very frustating. why do you think that happens, maby my png pages are to heavy… I don’t understand?

If you know write to me.

Thanks

Marie-Pierre Hawey

5. rjh98765 says:

See http://forums.adobe.com/message/3929927#3929927 for the fix for the problem I was having with CS5.1 not starting up.

6. caleb says:

I’m still crashing when saving. This is happening every day and I’m losing a bunch of $$$. FW CS5.1 fully updated mac osx lion.

7. max says:

Experiencing the same problem…and I’ve only noticed multiple crashes everyday since upgrading to OS X Lion. CS5 on my older Snow Leopard MacBook ran smoothly with no crashing that I can recall.

Now it’s a daily occurrence 🙁

8. nallib tala says:

same here… please fix this expensive buged software