And so it begins…

Welcome to my blog. In the great traditions of blogs (sorry, there’s no sarcasm tag), this first entry won’t be about much.

Living Photoshop is a purposefully vague title; it lets me fold many different Photoshop related subjects underneath it. It many ways I live Photoshop pretty much every day, and have been doing so for a very long time now. I’m also interested in the ways others live Photoshop every day, because it’s for those people I work so hard at helping to create this beast.

I am currently co-architect of Photoshop (along with Russell Williams) and Senior Lead, but it’s been a long and interesting path getting here. I started at Adobe in 1988, if you can believe that. Straight out of college. I started in the Display PostScript group. I went and helped out on the very first version of Adobe Type Manager (if you can remember that far back), did a printer with ATM in it (had to define an OEM interface for ATM, an interesting experience), did various ports of Display PostScript (including the first 64-bit port to the Dec Alpha – cool system, sigh…), put ATM in as a font server instance in X (wow, getting esoteric there).

I still remember the day I was walking through the halls back to my office and saw the BarneyScan box on a printer in the hall. I asked someone about it, and as I walked back to my office it really struck me what it could mean. As time passed (and it eventually became Photoshop, and then was rewritten in C++), I continuously suggested how I thought getting it onto Unix, where it could compliment Display PostScript, was a really good idea. Someone must have paid attention to the young punk, because I ended up working on that first port of Adobe Photoshop 2.5 to Sun and SGI. Followed that up with a version of Adobe Illustrator, then another of Adobe Photoshop (did some really cool stuff in that one, and we had it up on a 64 processor Sparc system one afternoon just for giggles – didn’t scale all the way up, but not much would). Well, the Unix applications weren’t really going anywhere, so I ended up moving to the core Photoshop team. Been there ever since. Done many features, big and small.

The best thing about working on Photoshop is that it’s never boring. We have a great customer focused team, and we all get excited to see what people do with our product, and we all take it pretty personally when things don’t work right. I’d like to think I’ve helped instill that attitude in those that haven’t been here as long.

So there ya go.

15 Responses to And so it begins…

1. Jeff Schewe says:

Scott…you’re one of the good guys (well, all the engineers are really) that has a talent for developing for the users-and users thank you for it (for the most part-there’s always a whiny few).Photoshop is a unique ecosystem for sure. Some people use it in their jobs, some merely to play and others to create serious art. It’s an electric mix that tends to bond across job function. Get two people together who don’t know each other and if they have a common bond in Photoshop, they’re part of the fellowship-even if they don’t speak the same language…It’s just amazing that George Lucas gave it away cause he didn’t think it would amount to much.:~)

2. Kevin says:

Nice story, look forward to reading your posts!

3. Great introduction, Scott. Keep posting good stuff.

4. Welcome! I really enjoyed your post and look forward to reading future posts.

5. Chris says:

I’ve been using Photoshop for years as a designer, but recently discovered my father-in-law uses it as well, investigating science research fraud for the government. Small world. Look forward to your posts.

6. Adobe Fan says:

Hi,Can Adobe use a different color for the text? I find that the grey color doesn’t make the text stand out, and it’s a pain to read the text here. Thank you.

7. Scott Byer says:

I’ll forward your message onto those who have more control over the rest of the site.I’ve made the text black and the comments significantly darker. I agree, the not-black text wasn’t as easy to read as the black text is.

8. This will be a great place to really touch base with a voice from within the creation we all embrace.I look forward to reading more Scott, I just bookmarked you.

9. Also Scott check your .css file path because it is missing in validation. I dont know if you are interested or not but you are not CSS compliant:http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/validator?profile=css2&warning=2&uri=http%3A//blogs.adobe.com/scottbyer/2005/08/and_so_it_begin.html%23commentsYou are how ever XHTML 1.0 Transitional. :)————Dre

10. Vickie Belcher says:

I really love photoshop. What of lense did you use to take the night sky’s. Those are amazing.thank you\could you give a step by step process?

11. I totally agree with what you’re saying. I wish more people felt this way and took the time to express themselves. Keep up the great work.Andrea Jaspersonhttp://www.giantlittleladdermart.com

12. Mike Ornellas says:

Interesting read Scott.mo

13. I completely agree with what you have expressed. This blog has some great information in it.Frank Gonzalezhttp://www.giantlittleladdermart.com

14. wecder says:

Photoshop is a unique ecosystem for sure. Some people use it in their jobs, some merely to play and others to create serious art. It’s an electric mix that tends to bond across job function.You shall contact me at:web design companyGet two people together who don’t know each other and if they have a common bond in Photoshop, they’re part of the fellowship-even if they don’t speak the same language…It’s just amazing that George Lucas gave it away cause he didn’t think it would amount to much.[And that ecosystem is always an important consideration for us! – Scott]

15. Really informative… Keep posting good stuffRegardsSai BPO Services (UK) Ltd.Web design and Web development company