Migrating from GoLive to Dreamweaver?

GoLive is not dead (you’ll be seeing a new version layer this year) and you don’t have to switch if you don’t want to, but if you’re thinking about migrating from GoLive to Dreamweaver, then there are some good resources you need to know about. Click on over to http://www.adobe.com/products/dreamweaver/switch/ and check out the goods, including a 17-page migration guide written by me (Adam) and my long-time writing partner and GoLive expert, Lynn Grillo. The migration guide supports a new extension that is included with Dreamweaver CS3 that helps convert your GoLive sites to be Dreamweaver-ready. Please let us know if these resources are helpful.

If you’re using GoLive and don’t plan to switch to Dreamweaver, we also want to hear from you! Is it emotional? A specific couple of features? A certain workflow? Let us know!

14 Responses to Migrating from GoLive to Dreamweaver?

1. John Welch says:

MovableType integration in GoLive, and I find its UI better.

2. Dreamweaver is missing so many good things from GoLive. A couple from the top of my head: Creating a site from existing content using HTTP (to download files), Live Preview, PDF creation, automatic rollovers (with the naming conventions), the psd integration (GoLive’s so much better than DW3), Diagram Mode, Quicktime Integration, etc.

3. Andrew Fox says:

I may well move over to Dreamweaver, but for now I struggle with it’s cluttered and garish UI. Inevitably, there are certain things I am used to with Golive too, such as previewing in a browser without having to save first. Little things like that.I am also very tempted by Coda and other apps. Maybe a mix of CSSEdit and TextMate is in my future, but sometimes WYSIWIG can be very useful.

4. jharr says:

Adam, nice meeting you at the AIGA event in Des Moines this morning. I’ll reiterate my question from earlier, hopefully Adobe preserves the QuickTime authoring within GoLive. We’ve started really using this hidden set of functionality to author interactive podcasts.

5. Djdork says:

I just created my first site in Dreamweaver and it went better than expected. However, Golive’s CSS editor is 100 times better than the one in Dreamweaver. Please make it more like the one in Golive![Any specifics that the product teams could consider? It’s hard to make things vaguely “better.” -Adam]

6. Brendan says:

It’s a great relief to hear that GL is not dead and being buried by Adobe. I have just attended one of the Creative Suite Roadshows in Sydney and could not get a straight answer!I have been using GL since 1999 and would be very disappointed to have to move to DW. The interface is much more user-friendly. The ability to have real smart-objects and the way they are implemented in the existing version of GL is to be commended. The new version of DW comes nowhere near the functionality.I love the extensions that are available from 3rd party vendors. My favourite is MenuMachine from BigBang … I have seen nothing for DW that even comes close to replicating the integration or ease of use for creating menus in GL. How they do it for such a low cost is beyond me.One problem I would like addressed though, is memory problems and degradation of performance when opening large (500+) site files. The performance of GL really lags. So much so, that is easier to modify the pages outside of the site; not really what is intended when using GL. My machine specs are above what is recommended, so I would like to see this addressed in a new version.The use of sprys and AJAX in DW CS3 is interesting, but is still not enough to convince me to drop GL.Looking forward to the new version with renewed vigour! Keep up the great product.Cheers, from Down Under.Brendan

7. Rob Keniger says:

The SDK in Dreamweaver is incredibly primitive compared to GoLive’s.

8. Dori says:

GoLive is so much easier and intuitive to use. Some of the GoLive extensions, such as MenuMachine are fabulous. After playing for a couple hours this morning on DW trying to build a nice smooth, acting drop down menu, I gotta say I am not impressed. I just last week published up a 30+ page site that went together so well with GoLive. I’m really stressing over the very real possibility that Adobe will totally kill this software. For people like me who have to build an occasional website, this is just a bummer.

9. Thuy Nguyen says:

I like Dreamweaver, and I have worked with them both. I spent my student years working in Dreamweaver and my first year and a half as a professional working with GoLive.I get tired of hearing people complain about change (get out of your web design/web dev job! Go be an accountant!) but I have seen both programs and experienced firsthand their strong and weak points. Most of them have been rehashed over and over in the Adobe GoLive/Dreamweaver Forums, respectively.For me specifically, I like Dreamweaver because it writes clean code. In GoLive I spent the majority of my time in the Source view policing its every line.Yet if I could take one feature from GoLive and plug it in to Dreamweaver it would be the way GoLive handles tables. I wish whatever table rendering engine was placed in GoLive CS2 would be sucked out and mashed into Dreamweaver CS3.I miss grabbing a few cells from Excel and creating a table from scratch in a snap. I miss the ability to copy small pieces of an opened tab-delimited text file and selecting a table cell and pasting the info in. I miss the ability to save a specific style and select a new table and apply the same style. (Yes, I know GoLive didn’t write the styles cleanly, but the basic concept was there.)Why does Dreamweaver have such a hard time rendering tables? It noticeably slows down when I open a page that has one with more than 9 cells.Other than that, I am impressed with how well Adobe has integrated Macromedia’s products so far.

10. You could say I’m a bit emotional about switching from GoLive to DremWeaver, yes…Initially I chose Adobe to be able to work on one platform.First LiveMotion was dropped. Then ImageReady was dropped, and now my new CS3 comes with Dreamweaver instead of GoLive.When I open Dreamweaver I expect to find something like:a) import –> GoLive siteb) open –> GoLive sitec) help –> import GoLiveor something in this direction.Finally I find something on Adobe blogs about this…Emotional… well, what about just not impressed with Adobes work in the later years. I see your position getting more and more like the Quark attitude before the big fall.best,Erling StorvikNorway

11. Alan Dolgins says:

Emotional no, disappointed yes. I guess it’s to late to complain about Adobes tough position on dropping support and further development for GL. GL now goes the corporate way of Saturn and Pontiac. However for those of us that neither want to be site developers or an accountant it is sad that this relativly easy and friendly to use software has been replaced by one that is less so. A bottom line for Adobe shouldn’t be the issue. You sold us the program with enthusiasm and then you dropped it with no consideration for those of us that bought it and stuck with it. I am trying to use Dreamweaver but over and over again, what is easy in GL is hard in Dreamweaver. I can’t make tables work, I don’t want to be forced into using CSS and placing images is nowhere as effortless as in GL. I guess this is late in the game to complain but better late then never. I am going to continue to try to learn DW but I’m still using GL.[Just because you don’t see the internal processes doesn’t mean there’s no consideration for our customers. Believe me, I started my career on GoLive and co-authored four books about it, so my investment was at least as big as most of our customers. I understand the transition process, believe me! It’s not a perfect situation by any means, but that’s why we extended a GoLive upgrade price of half off, created a free extension to migrate existing files, and why Lynn Grillo and I wrote an extensive white paper to help folks through the migration. There’s even free video training! It’s not a forever solution, but remember that the end of life of GoLive doesn’t mean it actually stops working. Use it as long as you like, just be realistic about the future direction of web authoring tools and technologies. -A]

12. Deva Burns says:

I found a blog converting from CS3. However, Garrick Chow states that in that version there is a folder that does the conversion for you. I don’t see it in CS5.5. Also, somewhere someone mentions an Adobe pdf manual, but that link is broken.

Still need help. Thanks for any reply.

13. Deva Burns says:

Hurray! I just found the manual. There is a free plug-in. However, I have an old version of GoLive 6.0 and it says The extension automates the process of converting a website from GoLive CS2 or GoLive 9 to Dreamweaver 8 or Dreamweaver CS3. Will it work for my version?

14. Deva Burns says:

The folder is not in the downloaded version of CS5.5. Is it in the purchased version? Or is there a place to download it on the Adobe site?