Adobe Acrobat 8.1 and Adobe Reader 8.1 are now available for download. In Acrobat, check the Adobe Updater (Help menu -> Check for Updates) to look for the update. You can also directly download Adobe Reader 8.1.
A partial listing of what’s new in 8.1:
* Microsoft Windows Vista™ and Office 2007 support
* Installing on 64-bit versions of Windows XP and Vista
* Easily extract documents from a package. Search and print the current or selected document, or all documents within the package.
* Read and organize eBooks and other publications with Adobe® Digital Editions (a separate product). When you first click the Digital Editions menu item, you can download and install the Adobe Digital Editions software. After installation, choose Digital Editions to go directly to your Adobe Digital Editions bookshelf.
* Acrobat 8.1 provides a FIPS mode to restrict data protection to Federal Information Processing Standard (FIPS) 140-2 approved algorithms using the RSA BSAFE Crypto-C 2.1 encryption module. This article has more information on enabling FIPS mode.