Three FAQs from

One of the best parts of Community Week (in my opinion) was that I got to hear a lot of questions from our customers, and fortunately the new Developer Center update partially helps me make good on at least three questions I heard regularly this week:

Q) Where can I get more information/tutorials on layouts and positioning using CSS?
A) First, check out Jojo’s new article on exactly that subject at the MM Developer Center. Secondly, dive deep into Project Seven’s Tutorials– Al and Gerry have been trailblazing CSS for years now and have a lot of great info for you to soak up on their site. If you’re still wondering how and why CSS can help you develop effective site designs, check out the CSS Zen Garden, and note how a little CSS can go a long, long way in making clean, reusable, easily updated site designs.

Q) Any suggestions or hints for updating my legacy ColdFusion apps to ColdFusion MX?
A) Check out Jedi Master Ray Camden’s tips on exactly that subject, here on the Macromedia Developer Center.

Q) How can I connect Flash to a back-end PHP application server?
A) I’d normally recommend Flash Remoting as the easiest way to do this, but that does require ColdFusion MX as your app server. For using stock Flash MX 2004 Pro to exchange data with a PHP/mySQL database using XML, check out Sajid Saiyed’s Developer Center tutorial. I’d also recommend looking into either amfphp, or PHPObject as two open source remoting solutions on top of PHP/mySQL. Sephiroth’s site is a goldmine of information on this subject as well- make sure to bookmark it!

Hope the above links/references are of interest- enjoy!

9 Responses to Three FAQs from

1. seancorfield says:

amfphp is an Open Source implementation of Flash Remoting for PHP…

2. Scott Fegette says:

Yep- I’ve got the link to amfphp in the post body (good stuff, too). PHPObject is an interesting option as well- curious as to your opinions on it, Sean! ;-)

3. Bart says:

Can AMFPHP or PHPObject be used for using flash remoting in Macromedia Flex (Remote Object services) ?

4. Scott Fegette says:

I don’t believe so, Bart (but would defer to more experienced Flex developers’ opinion/experience)- Flex consumes internal/external services though, so I’d perhaps recommend moving in that route (expose your object logic as a web service in your web app server of choice, and then just consume it within Flex). If anyone has successfully used either ‘remoting alternative’ with Flex, I’m all ears however…

5. Bart says:

According to Waldo Smeets and Jesse Warden from Macromedia, it is possible to use AMFPHP. Still looking for an example though ;

6. Jalal says:

Hello, i am from iran…( first say.. my english language… is very bad, excuse me )i have a question about FlashMX 2004.1 ) How to link a file of hard disk me to flash button ?2 ) My OS is winXP Pro and SP2… when, creat a new file with name swf extention and i what see in the IE… then pop-up blocker in ie… block my file! why ? why should settings in FlashMX until IE can`t block my flash file ?” please send answer me into e-mail address “Thank you for read this message.” Jalal “

7. Scott Fegette says:

Hey, Jalal-No worries! Your english is fine, far better than my Arabic/Farsi- that’s for sure. :)Note- you may get more responses posting these questions on the MM forums, of course:http://www.macromedia.com/support/forumsBut that being said (along with the disclaimer that I’m not tech support), here’s a few thoughts:- Not sure what your first question is asking specifically? I’d frown against linking to a file on your hard disk from a Flash button unless the Flash movie/swf is only run locally (or your hard disk is actually a publicly-accessible server).- SP2 changed a lot about how IE accesses media, among many other security/integrity changes. You can read more info on how that relates to Flash and SWF files at the following links:http://www.macromedia.com/cfusion/knowledgebase/index.cfm?id=tn_19482http://www.macromedia.com/cfusion/knowledgebase/index.cfm?id=tn_19542Again, I’d post a message at the MM forums if you have more questions so you’ll get more of a response- I don’t often troll my old ‘blog comments (this blog post is from almost a year ago, in fact!).Hope this helps out- Scott :)

8. Eric says:

Scott:Thanks for your value information. It helps me solve a big problem.Eric

9. No problem, Eric- glad the post helped out, especially considering it’s over a year old now!!