Firefox Extensions

More an FYI for anyone enthusiastic about the Mozilla 1.0 release- a decent ’roundup’ article at ExtremeTech covering ten Firefox extensions that add all sorts of functionality to the popular open-source browser.

On the handy side- RSS and FTP integration, as well as a rather interesting webmail ‘composition’ extension that allows you to start composing email when you aren’t currently logged into your webmail site of preference. In the ‘why bother’ department, another extension can keep you up-to-date with the current Homeland Security threat level. Overall, good stuff- although the jury’s still out on a few of these as I determine which stand the test of time in my own workflow. RSS and FTP stuff isn’t as interesting to me as I use other clients/apps/means of accessing those features, but I do like the Image Zoom extension and have found myself using the webmail composition extension quite a bit so far.For those of you who’re already up to speed with Mozilla 1.0, what are your favorite features and extensions so far?

7 Responses to Firefox Extensions

1. John says:

My favorites –Web DeveloperAdBlockUserAgentSwitcherand IEView (only when you really really have to use it)

2. Eric Lerner says:

Thanks Scott –I installed a few of these. Pretty cool!

3. Daniel says:

safaritabs, the graphite apple theme (with firefoxy) for looks and adblocker, googlebar.

4. Mark says:

If you are an amazon shopper this extension is really cool:MABhttp://faser.net/mab

5. Scott says:

MAB = ‘awesome’;Now that’s far more interesting than the Homeland Security widget… :D

6. On RSS and FTP, what other clients/apps/means do you use/suggest?

7. Scott Fegette says:

RSS: I use FeedDemon on the PC and PulpFiction on the Mac. Central’s pretty easy to use as well – cross platform of course. FeedDemon is just plain awesome on all counts (wish there was a Mac version!), PulpFiction is pretty good as well, and very consistent with Mac GUI standards.FTP: I’m basically a command line guy for this type of stuff (esp. on the Mac where the shell’s far more robust), but if I need a GUI for FTP I usually use Transmit on the Mac and WSFTP on the PC.