AIR Installer Logging

Starting with the beta 2 release, the AIR installers for both AIR itself and for applications can be configured to log actions taken during install. This is not an officially supported feature and we don’t make any promises that the log file format won’t change, or even that this won’t be removed entirely. Nonetheless, you may find it useful.

To enabling logging, simply create a file named either “.airinstall.log” (for the AIR installer) or “.airappinstall.log” (for application install) in your home directory. If this file is present when the installer starts then the log will be written to it (overwriting any previous contents). This works on both Windows and Mac OS. Turn turn logging back off, remove the files.

If you encounter installation-related problems with beta 2 I recommend turning logging on. Even if you’re not up to reading the contents yourself it’ll be a great help to us to include them with any bug reports.

7 Responses to AIR Installer Logging

1. Rey Bango says:

Oliver,Windows won’t let me create a file called “.airinstall.log”. Also, what do you consider to be my “home directory”? Is it where the AIR install file resides or someplace else?Rey

2. Oliver Goldman says:

Hi Rey,Your home directory is your “Documents and Settings” folder on Windows. For example, “C:\Documents and Settings\rey”.While Windows won’t let you create this file from Explorer, you can create it from a command prompt. E.g.:echo > .airinstall.logThat’s what happens when you let command-line folks like me loose on these fancy new GUI systems.

3. Pablo says:

Hi There…I’m not a command-line-man and I simple can’t create the file…I write “echo > .airinstall.log” i the RUN menu in win xp…but it only make an error sound and msg.?What do I do wrong`?Best regardsPablo

4. Oliver Goldman says:

First you have to get to the command prompt. Trying entering “cmd” from the Run dialog and then enter the echo command in the command window that opens.

5. Deepak Joshi says:

Hi therejust go to run and type cmd.dos window will open. In it, just type copy con .airinstall.logthen press ctrl + zthen hit enter.your file will be created.to view content of the file, typetype .airinstall.log.This will show you the content.

6. Mark Czajka says:

Does this still work with AIR 1.5? Where is this location on a Vista machine (to put the log file)?[Yes, this works on Vista, too. Put the file in your user directory, e.g., c:\Users\username. —Oliver]

7. Ross says:

Hey how do I create this file on my mac oc? I am really struggling with this adobe air install and it is driving me insane as I cant use the applications that run on air, can someone please help me as I have been struggling with this for a week.ThanksRoss[See this Tech Note for instructions. Also, feel free to contact Adobe Technical Support. –Oliver]