Adobe AIR Supports Enterprise Deployment

Adobe AIR supports enterprise deployment. There, I’ve said it. We’ve had a bit of trouble getting this message out, so I wanted to be clear about this right up front.

Now, before anyone jumps all over me for this one, I’m also sure we could do a better job of supporting enterprise deployment. If you’ve deployed AIR in an enterprise setting and have thoughts on what we could do better, please send them our way.

If you aren’t familiar with AIR’s enterprise support—and, as I said, you’re probably not—here’s what you can do now, in AIR 1.0:

• You can deploy AIR and AIR-based applications via enterprise deployment tools like Microsoft SMS and IBM Tivoli,
  • You can disable auto-update of both AIR and AIR-based applications, and
  • You can configure which applications, if any, AIR will permit to be installed.

I’ll dive into more detail on some of these items in future posts, but there’s one more thing I want to cover now. If you want to deploy AIR in an enterprise setting from a centralized server of some sort, instead of deploying it from Adobe’s download servers, then you’re redistributing AIR. We typically allow this, but you do have to sign a redistribution license in order to be granted the necessary rights. See the redistribution site for further information.

Oh, and feel free to spread the word!

19 Responses to Adobe AIR Supports Enterprise Deployment

1. Marc Hughes says:

Could you provide a link for “You can deploy AIR and AIR-based applications via enterprise deployment tools like Microsoft SMS and IBM Tivoli,”Thanks!

2. Pedro says:

Hi Oliver,This is just what I needed, but on the redistribution site, it says that MS SMS isn’t supported.This leads me to a two questions: Is there any place where I can find more information on this, so that I can refer my client to it?And who needs to get the agreement, us the developers or the client, since they’ll be the ones distributing it.TIA.Pedro.

3. Oliver Goldman says:

@Marc: For now, the best link is the redistribution site linked to by the post. We’re working on making more information available.@Pedro: If your client is doing the distribution then they need to sign the agreement. The SMS option is available; email the address at the bottom of the distribution page for details. We’re working on simplifying that.

4. Marc Hughes says:

Thanks Oliver,The redistribution page was more of an “you’re allowed to do it” page. I was hoping for a “How to do it” guide.I can’t wait to read more of that additional info you mentioned.

5. Pedro says:

Hey Oliver,I just tried getting an agreement for usage with SHU and got denied, plain and simple. Are there any other routes I can take?Thx.

6. Oliver Goldman says:

@Pedro: You didn’t get approved because using Shu violates the terms of the redistribution license you were agreeing to. If you want an approval, you need to understand and follow the terms of the agreement.

7. Pedro says:

I understand that, but on the page clearly states that if that license doesn’t apply to my needs I should ask, but Adobe seems too ‘corporate’ in this matter, using a no-reply e-mail, with auto-generated messages, and little information if we, or out client, could apply for a another license.And since Adobe took the stance of denying us to use SHU JUST for the testing phase (due to having to bypass the IT Dept.) we’ll have to move away from AIR in the future towards ZINC. This is clearly not what I expect from Adobe.

8. Oliver Goldman says:

@Pedro: My apologies if your reply seemed impersonal; I assure you it was reviewed by an actual person. I recommend you re-apply and describe the issue with your IT dept. We’re not going to approve use of Shu, but we’d be happy to work with you to try and find a suitable solution.

9. Luis Polanco says:

@Pedro: You can email license-air@adobe.com to describe the problem you are having with your IT team and AIR distribution.

10. Pedro says:

Well my problem was a time frame, I can’t get AIR installed in the machines in less than a month, hence our need to use Zinc, which we did, and now to port it all back to AIR for the final version.That was the best I could manage from Adobe, really what’s wrong with using SHU for testing purpouses?

11. Steve Smith says:

Do you have any further information on the process for deploying AIR applications silently? I haven’t been able to find any documentation on how to use this new feature.

12. Oliver Goldman says:

Documentation on silent installs is made available when you sign up to redistribute AIR, which if course you need to do to use the silent install. See the redistribution site linked from the main entry.

13. Jam Zhang says:

A simple question which I haven’t found the answer using Google. How much RAM can an Air Application use?[As much as the operating system is willing to give it. Unlike Java, AIR does not impose any particular limits of its own. —Oliver]

14. seamoh says:

Hello ,Realy the content of the redistribution site is not clear ,I spent lots of time to sort it out ,I use a batch file to handle all.but unfortunately this batch file works just in windows xp ,it doesn’t work in windows 7 and window 64x .I tried to find tutorial or article how to use IBM tivol to sort this problem ,But I couldn’t find any article ,the redistribution just tell to use IBM tivol or Microsoft SMS ,but it didn’t tell how to use them .if you know please write an article or tell us how should I use them to write bootstrapper
    sincerely

[Deployment with SMS, SCCM, and Tivoli is described at http://www.adobe.com/devnet/air/articles/distributing_air_in_enterprise.html —Oliver]

15. Steven Doig says:

Adobe Reader, Adobe Flash Player, and Adobe Shock Wave are all offered as .MSI installers.

The allows them to be deployed through group policy in Active Directory. .EXE files cannot be deployed through group policy in Active Directory.

Adobe Air is only available in .EXE format, preventing deployed through group policy, which handicaps maybe 2/3 of enterprises at a guess.

Is there a reason Adobe Air can’t be released in .MSI format?

• Oliver Goldman says:

AIR 3 will support deploying AIR and AIR-based applications in MSI, plus other formats. We’ll be posting documentation about this soon, and I’ll mention it here when that happens.

16. Vshare says:

I am working on a small project to install AIR application(native .exe & .dmg) with AIR runtime without needing the Administrator privilege so I used Captive runtime but the installation is still asking for admin privilege

I bundled AIR application with AIR runtime using Captive runtime from flash builder 4.6, then I packaged this into a .MSI using Advanced Installer. Now when I install it for a user without admin privilege it prompts me for Admin credentials.

Can you please tell me if
    1. I need AIR distribution license to install AIR runtime without Admin privilege
    2. Do I need a different installer
    3. Am I missing any step here

• Oliver Goldman says:

I’m not familiar with Advanced Installer, but most installation tools will create MSI files that create admin privilege unless you take explicit steps to make an installer without that requirement. My guess is that Advanced Installer is trigger the admin requirement.

You do not need a distribution license to use the captive runtime feature.