Should AIR Support Application Installs Without Admin Rights?

In my previous post, I explained that installing an AIR application sometimes requires admin rights. This begs the question: Should AIR take pains to avoid those parts of application install that sometimes require admin rights? Some applications do support this, including recently Google Chrome.

We considered this when designing the AIR install experience and ultimately decided this would be a mis-feature. It breaks down to two cases:

1. You’re the admin for the machine on which you’re installing software. (This is the typical consumer scenario.) You don’t need to install without admin rights because you’ve got them.
  2. You’re not the admin, and you don’t have admin rights. You want a non-admin-rights install because otherwise you can’t install the application. (This is a typical enterprise scenario.)

In this second case, however, your machine is locked down for a reason: the admin doesn’t want you to install anything. If they knew you were avoiding this restriction by installing without admin rights, they’d probably close that loophole, too. See, for example, this article about stopping users from installing Google Chrome.

So any specific support in AIR for installing applications without admin rights would be temporary at best, as admins could still prevent it. Worse, it makes extra works for admins who have to jump through hoops to keep their machines locked down. Since we’re interested in making sure AIR stays friendly for enterprise deployments, and this feature has no value for non-enterprises, well, it just doesn’t seem to make much sense.

29 Responses to Should AIR Support Application Installs Without Admin Rights?

1. After reading this “Should AIR take pains”, I have to ask if any classes would be removed if AIR was made non-admin friendly?It is a little annoying, because I do make applications for our intranet where the users have no rights. I can’t even use an update framework so each update has to be installed manually by our IT guy (who is usually grumpy). However, if it means sacrificing some classes, I would say no, leave it how it is now.[No, no classes would have to be removed. Would your admin be happier if AIR supported user installs? If so, why doesn’t he give his users rights to install applications? —Oliver]

2. Jens Wegar says:

From a developer perspective, the initial deployment usually isn’t any concern. The biggest concern is not being able to use an automatic update framework for my applications within enterprises. On the other hand, in those types of environments the IT department usually (as you said) wants control over which applications are installed and when, so no issues there I think.I have however seen scenarios in smaller companies (50-100 employees) where they have one IT guy and he’s locked down the rights to install software on the computers, but the company doesn’t use any centralized deployment software (such as e.g. Tivoli) because the individual needs of each employee are so diverse, the IT guy would have to create separate images for almost everyone anyway. So he runs around the office installing software on everyones machines (including updates). In these types of scenarios it would be usefull for an AIR application to be able to update itself. Perhaps a flow where the updater checks if a previous version of the software has been installed (which it does already anyway) and if yes, allows the update. If no previous version is detected, the install is not allowed.

3. Yes, that would make his job much easier, and would take away some of the begging I have to do :)They don’t want users to install any programs without their consent to avoid viruses and such, which I think is standard in most business settings.

4. Submitted my last entry too quick. This would make it much easier being able to set up an install badge on our intranet, and utilize the update framework for any updates.

5. Jens Wegar’s second scenario is exactly what I’m dealing with.

6. Uli Meumann says:

I think there are several scenarios where the admin wants to allow the users to install and update just air-applications in an otherwise locked-down windows environment.With the current air runtime the admin has only the choice between “all open” and “all locked-down”. Why not letting the admin decide whats the best for his environment?Within a locked-down environment the nice air application updater is almost useless.

7. Fritz Elasni says:

Portable applications rule as web application do. I can not use any AIR applications on my USB drive. AIR is not very common. Why use AIR again?

8. Kirill Gribunin says:

In Microsoft’s ClickOnce technology nothing is added to the Program Files folder, the registry, or the desktop, and no administrative rights are required for installation. We can hardly say that Microsoft doesn’t know how to respect admins’ efforts to close loopholes. Why not to follow Microsoft deployment strategies in the deployment runtime for Microsoft platform?[ClickOnce also provides facilities for disabling or restricting ClickOnce installs. Arguably, it just introduces another form of admin rights. —Oliver]

9. Roger J says:

Except ‘Admin Rights’ were never designed to stop users installing applications, they were designed to protect system areas in the OS to give a more stable system. If your app doesn’t need to write to these areas, it shouldn’t need ‘Admin Rights’ to install. You shouldn’t force it on people just because you think it might be a good idea (it’s really not, by the way). Any system admin who wants to restrict installs will need to do more than just hope that everyone has forced their app install to require admin rights (which of course no-one else in the world does, because it’s faulty logic).

10. Will says:

Please figure out a way or provide instructions to allow AIR applications to update themselves (lookin’ at you, TweetDeck) without requiring me to log off and log back in as an admin to upgrade the app. Or provide a Windows-Update-Server-like infrastructure so upgrades can be centrally managed.[Mac OS, Windows Vista and later, and Linux support updates without logging off. Theoretically this can also be done in Windows XP and earlier, but the OS dialogs for elevating to admin privilege without logging off were so confusing to users that we disabled them. Updates to AIR applications can also be centrally managed via Microsoft SMS, IBM Tivoli, etc. —Oliver]

11. Roger Jardine says:

Adobe Air should support application installs without admin rights, just as the OS does.If an Air application requires admin rights to install, it should ask for them, if it doesn’t require admin rights, i.e. it doesn’t need to access protected system areas, it shouldn’t ask for them.Hoping all software developers will fake the need for admin rights is not a valid method for restricting software installation, so it makes no sense for Adobe to try and use it in that way.

12. Greg Arakelian says:

Oliver,I’m a developer for Customs and Border Protection. We have 18,000 users around the country that use the applications that we build.Your position that “admins” should decide what can and cannot be “installed” on user’s desktop is well intentioned, but flawed in regards to adoption of your product (and by extension, what we develop using your products).I have no problem with requiring Administrator rights to install Air itself, but Air application, are you kidding me?No federal agency is going to have a policy that allows end users to install applications to “global” locations. This is true on whatever platform I’ve used at work (Linux and Windows). It’s incredibly difficult, even on large, high-profile projects to get all of the various security people to accredit an application, to get it deployed at the client site.I’m currently in the midst of getting Adobe Air to be accredited for our organization, and you WOULD NOT BELIEVE the amount of paperwork this involves, the number of meetings explaining to non-technical people the benefits, the number of signatures required, and the TIME. It will probably be March 2010 (optimistically), before final authority is granted to move Adobe Air into our standard machine images, and to get it moved into the field.It’s incredibly discouraging to me — depressing, really — to read your remarks dismissing the important of “local installs” for end users. I would love to evangelize the use of Adobe Air within our organization, but that is never going to happen, if every time I want to distribute an application to the end user, I have to get an administrator to sign off.I’m begging you, and by extension Adobe, to reconsider your position. Perhaps a compromise can be reached. For example, a “local” install might not have access to the local file system, but could still open windows outside the browser, work in the background, etc. Or perhaps the installation of Air, could include some “trusted certificate authorities” that would allow installs of applications signed by those CAs without any administrative rights. That’s do-able in our organization.Thanks very much for your time and consideration.

13. Jeff Battershall says:

Oliver,I think we’ve discussed this in the past. What would be helpful to improve user experience is to:1) Detect the user’s admin rights during install so they can be provided instructions as to what to do. Not all users are aware of their status as a non-admin. Possibly there’s way to do this already, I just haven’t found it.2) Allow an application to be ‘grandfathered’. Once installed with admin rights, the local user would be allowed to update the application without admin intervention. That would be HUGE. Possibly this could be an option presented to the original installer to permit grandfathering, so long as the rights conferred in the original install aren’t expanded in any way.Jeff

14. Arni Maack says:

I think it makes a lot of sense to allow non-administrator installation of AIR apps in Windows. OS X already does this and there are many environments where IT does not grant corporate users administrator privileges but would want to allow them to install AIR applications.To make it really slick, you could ask the question during installation of the AIR runtime environment to allow IT to control it without having to “hack” anything.It opens up another niche for AIR development.

15. Conrad Winchester says:

I have just arrived at the same point – we are perfectly happy with an admin install of AIR and even an initial admin install of the application itself (we have to distribute to our app 250 employees). Thats fine, BUT then not being able to push out an update to the application automatically and having to rely on the IT dept to update it for us on each machine individually SUCKS big time and kills this one dead in the water.

16. Potential AIR user says:

Seconding Greg’s comment above. The inability to install AIR applications without admin rights is from my organization’s perspective a major negative, which significantly decreases our interest in using Adobe AIR as a development platform.

17. I think you should implement fine grained controls and information about them if you want to encourage it’s adoption.I posted the following at”http://www.splitbrain.org/blog/2008-04/18-adobe_air_on_linux-a_security_nightmare#MTC_form”=========================================================AIR on LinuxWhilst I agree that it should certainly support sudo to gain priviledges, I think there are bigger problems.I feel websites have far more power than they often need and use javascripts unnecessarily meaning users just leave it on (including Adobe and the code their programs generate), never mind air using foreign code which seems dependent on a developer security model that can run even when the browser is closed rather than a fine grained framework, with options!. Flash was originally a simple animation package and has become a video software (and communication package), which is why most people install it, creating even more unneeded security risk, which I hope will be replaced by straight forward and transparent OGV/theora which would allow priviledge separationssss, which is key as the root password arguments pointed out.Whilst it should be separated from your boot and system files, running as a user is still unacceptible for a foreign untrusted source. There are enough problems with flash adverts already. If untrusted execution is neccessary to provide for things like pleasing a false sense of security in the bbc iplayers ability to be cross platform and protect video and please producers at the real expense of user security, then it should be highly limitable or limited and atleast have a separate password and robust password system for installing the air apps, Javascript sandboxing failed time and again.What can a restricted user do;download and read most or all of your data and send it, make your web browser load something everytime it runs and conduct attacks, these are priviledges that could be deemed more important than the system itself which can be recovered from online repositories, if it wasn’t for the fact that having access to the system would mean access to everything anyway and modern motherboard manufacturers being stupid.The only way I am going to use it at the moment as there are enough security problems on the web, is on a system that is cut off from most of my network and that I am not too concerned about, and I will watch that system to make sure it’s not obviously infecting unprotected websites and users of the internet.This needs to be sorted out or I would hope that it would affect it’s adoptability. At the moment they seem to only be talking about developer (potential attacker) and not end-user security (air security paper.pdf). Even if you care and are able, the information seems non existent, though I came across this”According to Adobe bulletin, the issues are all remotely exploitable. The could allow an attacker who successfully exploits the vulnerability to execute untrusted JavaScript with elevated privileges.”I’m going to test it out on one machine, see what I can control via configuration and make read only and whether preventing even a question of further install is possible. It hasn’t got a man page, so I’m not hoping for much, without blind hope and testing.Someone got a microsoft certificate from a CA once and could sign programs anyway and there was a recent null encoding attack on SSL certificates, which are more about making money than protection.

18. Ken Jenson says:

I am in a situation where we have 600 clients (car dealerships) across the nation, each with their own IT infrastructure. We want to deploy an AIR app to every client machine across all clients.We have temporarily shelved AIR (even though we were almost done with development) to be replaced by a web app because we have no way of installing/updating this app without hundreds of clients having to pay admins to come in to their shops to install.Adobe HAS to come up with a way to bypass this restriction, or any large scale deployment that is isn’t in a very well organized company with Tivoli, Altirus etc. will surely be too onerous.

19. Robin says:

I so agree. I am working around the same issue. Seems strange this is something they are not providing any solutions to. I have been browsing around for a while, please let me know if any of you have found a solution to this. robin.bade@activeark.com

20. Brian says:

It is so VERY frustrating that Adobe refuses to help deploy their product in an easier way. If they really want their product to grow then MUST make it possible to have an application deployed without having Admin rights.I can understand that AIR runtime has to have admin rights to install (which makes it very hard for enterprise deployments), and the fact you cannot bundle the runtime in a single EXE is also a problem (as you can with .NET or any other desktop applicaion such as Java, ect).At the very least if you have to have an Admin install AIR you should not need one to install your applicaion. Java and .NET are standards here, is Adobe that paranoid! It’s a killer for so many enterprises – so they will just not use it!!!

21. Mark says:

It is extremely disappointing that Adobe do not support updates without admin rights. Our organisation uses Tweetdeck on 100 computers, everytime an update to Adobe Air is needed it requires our IT department to upgrade each client manually. Come on Adobe get your act together!

22. Rajeev Krishnan says:

I have written a .AIR application for the business that i’ supporting. Now the issue is the user to whom i have sent this .air file is unable to run my .air file as it says “you need admin rights to run this file. please check with your administrator”. Does it work that way ? Why does a .air file require admin rights to execute when they already have the Adobe AIR installed. Can someone throw some light to this problem ? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

23. Frank Sommers says:

Is there a solution here? We may have to shelf an otherwise successful AIR app because of this and move to a browser-based system. The browser doesn’t require admin permissions every time a Web site changes! This needs to be fixed or AIR can’t be used in many situations.

24. Franck G says:

This is a real problem.

But you can fin at Adobe, other applications who run without administrative rights :
    Flash (compil in exe), Director. I have often used the latest software due to the fact that it could run on a cd without any installation. The simple “files copy” is enough to install it.

For embed swf files, it remains the alternative projects like MPROJECTOR or ZINC.

I do not think that Air will have a great future in the professional world…

• Oliver Goldman says:

AIR apps don’t require administrative rights to run; only to be installed. The applications you’re referring to don’t get installed; they’re run in place. I would like to see AIR also support this model.

25. Bart says:

I’d love to use AIR to build in-house development tools but the distribution and installation through our IT guys is too much of a hassle. We could really use a run-in-place mode so we can do rapid development on usefull data tools.

• Oliver Goldman says:

A timely question; run-in-place is now available in the AIR 3 beta on labs.adobe.com. More info coming soon.

26. Chris says:

The author’s conclusion makes sense to me. The matter of installing updates automatically is related but not addressed. AIR should definately support a method of keeping itself up to date without the need for user or administrator intervention; or at the very least, offering this as an optional configuration when AIR is first installed.

27. Vshare says:

Hi,
    Thank you for the detailed procedure, it was very helpful.
    I could build an .msi but for installation it is still asking for admin privilege.

I am working on a small project to install AIR application(native .exe & .dmg) with AIR runtime without needing the Administrator privilege so I used Captive runtime but the installation is still asking for admin privilege

I bundled AIR application with AIR runtime using Captive runtime from flash builder 4.6, then I packaged this into a .MSI using wxedit, Advance Installer. Now when I install it for a user without admin privilege it prompts me for Admin credentials to install the msi and then to install the AIR runtime.

Can you please tell me if
    1. I need AIR distribution license to install AIR runtime without Admin privilege
    2. Do I need a different installer