Steve Kilisky's Dynamic Media Blog

January 20, 2006

After Effects 7.0 Tutorials

It is amazing to see how many tutorials have been created already for After Effects 7.0. Thanks to all of our users who invested time creating these to help support this release. Here is a list of the tutorials I am aware of at the moment. Let me know if you know of others:

John Dickinson on Creative COW
AE7 User Interface Tour

Stephen Schleicher on Animation Artist
Timewarp Tutorial

In addition a selection of new tutorials have been added to the Adobe Resource Center (search on After Effects).

Posted by Steve Kilisky at 11:47 AM on January 20, 2006

Comments

pt — 12:37 PM on January 20, 2006

What's the deal w/ the mac version of AE 7.0?

This doesn't look like one of those "gotta have it right away" upgrades, so I'm not too steamed about it. But, given the size of your mac user base, I'm curious as to why the delay.

govinda — 2:00 PM on January 20, 2006

Hi Steve,

I'm not sure whether to be disappointed in AE7 or not. But I have suspicions...

The market forces of oligopolistic competition are useful in the world, those of perfect competition even more--they force companies to be on their best behavior wrt customers. Adobe's situation is neither: it has an effective monopoly. As such the incentive is not to innovate, not to spend on R&D, not to worry about customers.

I say 'incentive.' Whether or not Adobe's higher-ups respond to this incentive is another thing. But the signs aren't all good. The update is late and lacking. Likely this isn't down to you.

For an app to be competitive at its price point, a company like has to make compromises. I'm not happy with the compromises Adobe made, and it's certainly not putting as much of its price into the shrink-wrap as some other applications at theirs. Again, this would be consistent with the incentive of Adobe corporate to 'harvest' revenue from its monopoly market products to prop up 'rising star' products.

The lacking features (b-splines, custom key commands, selective blurs on masks, node management, 3D features, render separation) make sense in this context, as does the year-late release.

steve kilisky — 2:53 PM on January 20, 2006

Hi pt,

I appreciate the feedback. After Effects is developed on a single x-platform code base.

This release is fairly typical from a timing perspective (15-18 months) given the magnitude of changes we made.

I hope you will reserve final judgment until you've had a chance to evaluate it firsthand. A fully functional 30 day tryout should be available within the next week and we will be kicking off a worldwide roadshow in a few weeks.

steve kilisky — 3:43 PM on January 20, 2006

Hi govinda,

Hopefully hearing feedback from other users who either beta tested or upgrade, and taking the tryout for a test drive when it is available will lessen your disappointment.

Each cycle we have to make difficult trade-offs on what features requests to incorporate and which ones will have to wait until a future cycle. The decisions can be agonizing as we don't feel good about disappointing our users.
Hopefully you'll find enough goodness in AE 7.0 to justify the upgrade, and hopefully we will be able to address some of the requests you mentioned in your post next time around.

tom rowe — 12:16 PM on January 21, 2006

Anything on this "Adobe Bridge" contraption?

Steve Kilisky — 12:38 PM on January 21, 2006

Hi Tom,

Here are a couple of places to go for info on Bridge: Adobe Resource Center, Bridge Web page, and you might also check out the Bridge Blog

Harold Williams — 2:21 PM on November 16, 2006

I thank God for people like you who will take the time to encourage us. Just to know that things are going to be better is enough for me. I like things as they are now. What ever you guys think of next will only make that kid inside of me very pleased. I am going to keep on learning how to do these effects through the use of the tutorials and much practice. I am going to get better and better at it.